HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Season Thread. Trade Spec/GM Mode - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2011, 09:15 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Many of these posts include a large number of potential free agent signings alng with a high number of trade proposals. In reality, most teams make only a limited number of changes during the year, especially among their top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen (Gainey's big year the exception).

While it's fun to participate in fantasy, the reality is that PG will likely work harder at filling in the holes than he will at making drastic changes.

With that in mind, I see him looking for one more forwars (Jagr?) and maybe another defensemen but only if he can free up salary.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
List of UFAs I'd like

UFA Wish List
I hope you don't mind me giving my thoughts Analyzer

--I've said my piece about Leino over the last month or so, i don't think he's a top-6 forward. He played very easy minutes last year with ample offensive opportunities and given his scoring totals he's going to probably be overpaid in salary & term for the type of player he is.

-- I like Laich a fair bit though I don't think he's an upgrade on any of the wingers in the top-6. If nothing else signing him probably bumps Kostitsyn to easy minutes though which would give the Habs some very nice forward depth. Good addition, but I worry about the length of contract he will demand given that he's more of a 2nd-line guy who can probably handle top-line opposition beside

--Upshall would be an excellent addition to the forward group: played against good opposition and his metrics look good in doing so, brings the size/toughness/trolling that everybody would like.

--Gagné/Connolly both have injury worries and I have some concerns about Gagné's play last year but either would be a nice, short-term gamble on adding some quality forward depth.

--Kopecky: I don't think he's an upgrade on Desharnais, nevermind a top-6 forward. A lot of offensive-zone faceoffs (unlike Desharnais who actually started more in the defensive zone than offensive), opposition comparable to what Desharnais had at even-strength, not spectacular possession-metrics considering the weak opposition and o-zone faceoffs. This is the first time I've taken a good look at him, but I'm not a fan.

Bottom-6:

Not a fan of any of the guys on your list with the exception of Torres, who would be outstanding. Kenopka was used in an ultra-defensive role and did alright in it, but he takes too many penalties for my liking... I think he would have been the second-most penalized Hab forward behind Plekanec last year (minor penalties only... fights don't put you shorthanded so fighting majors aren't a big deal to me).

Winchester is a liability and Rupp doesn't look to be an upgrade on Pyatt. Torres though, would be a great pick-up and I could live with Kenopka thoguh I'm not really a fan. I'd rather see Desharnais centering the 4th-line and beating up on opposition goons on the scoreboard.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Bottom-6:

Not a fan of any of the guys on your list with the exception of Torres, who would be outstanding. Kenopka was used in an ultra-defensive role and did alright in it, but he takes too many penalties for my liking... I think he would have been the second-most penalized Hab forward behind Plekanec last year (minor penalties only... fights don't put you shorthanded so fighting majors aren't a big deal to me).

Winchester is a liability and Rupp doesn't look to be an upgrade on Pyatt. Torres though, would be a great pick-up and I could live with Kenopka thoguh I'm not really a fan. I'd rather see Desharnais centering the 4th-line and beating up on opposition goons on the scoreboard.
Rupp would be a huge upgrade on Pyatt for our needs. He would help our guys play "bigger" and bring an element of (fighting) toughness that we lack. How is Winchester a Liability? he scored over 10 goals in 4th line ice time, can fight and brings a physical dimension.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Rupp would be a huge upgrade on Pyatt for our needs. He would help our guys play "bigger" and bring an element of (fighting) toughness that we lack. How is Winchester a Liability? he scored over 10 goals in 4th line ice time, can fight and brings a physical dimension.
I honestly don't see how fighting/toughness/size for a few select players will help the Habs win games (especially fighting). It's not like Rupp or other enforcers protect star players from injury (or Rupp et al did a terrible job for Pittsburgh if they do), and fighting tends to be a side-show for the fans that does nothing on the scoreboard. I can imagine that having size/toughness throughout a lineup can have a positive effect, but I don't see how having Rupp and Koopecky on the bench while Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta are on the ice will cause the opposition to tone things down or prevent injury. If you could get a guy that can actually play well that would be great, but size/toughness should not be the best attribute a player has when you're looking at improving the team.

I'm not a fan of Pyatt (he's a defense-specific player), but he outperformed Rupp last year against much more difficult opposition.

Winchester shot by 2.5% last season... you would expect him to get around 7. I probably did overstate things by calling him a liability, but he's not an upgrade on any of the forwards the Habs had last year.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:44 AM
bsl

Quote:
5 on 5 yes, he has good chemistry with Eller...but those things can change 25 times during the season. Nobody has the absolute same lines for 82 games.
Shutt Lemaire Lafleur
Houle Mahovlich Cournoyer
Lambert Risebrough Tremblay
Gainey Jarvis Wilson

387 goals

Last edited by bsl: 06-14-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old
06-14-2011, 09:48 AM
gillyguzzler

I still think Gauthier has to, creatively, find a way to move Gomez.

To Minnesota - Gomez, Weber, Kristo, a 2011 1st rounder for Havlat

Havlat would fit in nicely with Plek and Cammy. For Minnesota, yes they have the Gomez albatross but he'd be their 2nd line center behind Koivu and they do get a decent D in Weber, a solid prospoct in Kristo and a first round pick... maybe, just maybe, they bite.

To the Islanders, Gomez, Weber and a 2011 1st rounder for Trent Hunter.

The Isles need to spend to reach the salary floor and maybe, just maybe, they bite.

Possible?

Old
06-14-2011, 09:52 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post

Havlat would fit in nicely with Plek and Cammy. For Minnesota, yes they have the Gomez albatross but he'd be their 2nd line center behind Koivu and they do get a decent D in Weber, a solid prospoct in Kristo and a first round pick... maybe, just maybe, they bite.

The Isles need to spend to reach the salary floor and maybe, just maybe, they bite.

Possible?
Kristo in that deal would bother me. I like that kid. He's a player. I think he's going to help us win.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I honestly don't see how fighting/toughness/size for a few select players will help the Habs win games (especially fighting). It's not like Rupp or other enforcers protect star players from injury (or Rupp et al did a terrible job for Pittsburgh if they do), and fighting tends to be a side-show for the fans that does nothing on the scoreboard. I can imagine that having size/toughness throughout a lineup can have a positive effect, but I don't see how having Rupp and Koopecky on the bench while Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta are on the ice will cause the opposition to tone things down or prevent injury. If you could get a guy that can actually play well that would be great, but size/toughness should not be the best attribute a player has when you're looking at improving the team.

I'm not a fan of Pyatt (he's a defense-specific player), but he outperformed Rupp last year against much more difficult opposition.

Winchester shot by 2.5% last season... you would expect him to get around 7. I probably did overstate things by calling him a liability, but he's not an upgrade on any of the forwards the Habs had last year.
Intimidation has always been part of the game and still is...though not to the extent it was in the past. Teams are going to try to intimidate teams like the Habs, when you have guys like Horton, Lucic, Thornton mouthing off, running your best players or jumping them after the whistle that tells me you need another player or two to "lay down the law" and have them answer for it. If their "bangers" are running our stars we can send ours to run theirs if the game is a blowout.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Shutt Lemaire Lafleur
Houle Mahovlich Cournoyer
Lambert Risebrough Tremblay
Gainey Jarvis Wilson

387 goals
The fact taht you had to go back 30 years proves my point

Old
06-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Possible?
Dealing Weber plus a 1st or Kristo plus a 1st to dump Gomez is a ridiculous idea. I would have no problem throwing in Carle or even Nash/4th rounder if we had to, but your proposals are terrible, especially the NY Islanders one.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Roke

Quote:
Intimidation has always been part of the game and still is...though not to the extent it was in the past. Teams are going to try to intimidate teams like the Habs, when you have guys like Horton, Lucic, Thornton mouthing off, running your best players or jumping them after the whistle that tells me you need another player or two to "lay down the law" and have them answer for it. If their "bangers" are running our stars we can send ours to run theirs if the game is a blowout.
I don't see how laying down the law/protecting the skill players works unless you have guys like Rupp on the ice with your top-6 players, in which case you're weakening your match-ups a great deal. If you are going to toughen up to prevent the Neanderthalism you have to do it throughout the lineup with effective players. To do so otherwise is a half-measure which will only be effective when your "tough" guys are on the ice.

Alternatively, the Habs can try to acquire Gregory Campbell so we can maybe persuade Collie to have his referees actually enforce the rules (yes, Campbell stepped down as the disciplinarian but he is still Director of Hockey Operations). With the Habs powerplay being as effective as it has been for the last half-decade or so that would probably be even more effective. Though Campbell is probably too valuable for Boston for them to get rid of them.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:28 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Dealing Weber plus a 1st or Kristo plus a 1st to dump Gomez is a ridiculous idea. I would have no problem throwing in Carle or even Nash/4th rounder if we had to, but your proposals are terrible, especially the NY Islanders one.
Getting rid of Gomez and his 7.3M Cap hit for another 4 years will cost us.

First of all, Havlat is much much better than Gomez, would fit in well with Plek and Cammy, and his 5M Cap hit for 3 years offers us some flexibility.

With Gomez gone, Eller and DD move up and I believe they can handle the #2 or #3 spots and be more productive than Gomez.

Weber is ok, but not even in our top 6.

Kristo is a decent prospect but Minnesota won't take on Gomez without getting something good in return.

The 17th pick in this years draft is substantial but Minnesota won't take on Gomez without getting something good in return.

Cammy-Plek-Havlat
MaxPac-DD-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-AK46
Moan-Rupp-White

I prefer this lineup to anyone that includes Gomez and we get an extra 2.3M on the Cap. We can easily sign Wiz... maybe even Bieksa.

Call it ridiculous if you want, but I'd do it.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:34 AM
juve

DD is not a second line center. Maybe one day but not for now.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:42 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
DD is not a second line center. Maybe one day but not for now.
It makes me wince everytime someone slots DD on the second line and Eller on the third. Not that Eller can replace Gomez either, but he's definitely higher on the depth chart and closer to being able to.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
It makes me wince everytime someone slots DD on the second line and Eller on the third. Not that Eller can replace Gomez either, but he's definitely higher on the depth chart and closer to being able to.
Eller is would be on the 3rd because of how well he played with AK last year. DD would probably get more than the 38 points that Gomez got last year and I'm sure his plus-minus would be better. I'm not a huge fan of DD on the 2nd line but he's not the 4th line type center we need. We need our 4th line to be tough, physical and able to stand up for themselves and their teammates. If DD isn't good enough to play on the 2nd line, then he doesn't really have a place in the lineup, imo.

Thinking more of the Gomez fiasco, screw it... buy him out and use the money on someone who'll bring more to the team.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Roke

Quote:
Eller is would be on the 3rd because of how well he played with AK last year. DD would probably get more than the 38 points that Gomez got last year and I'm sure his plus-minus would be better. I'm not a huge fan of DD on the 2nd line but he's not the 4th line type center we need. We need our 4th line to be tough, physical and able to stand up for themselves and their teammates. If DD isn't good enough to play on the 2nd line, then he doesn't really have a place in the lineup, imo.
I can't believe I'm saying this as a sports stat nerd, but you need to look beyond the stats (or at least the ones you are looking at). Goals and points don't tell you all that much unless you look at them in a greater context, especially the matchups a player is used in. Desharnais was absolutely terrific last year, but it was in a 4th-line role against 4th-line players on the opposition. To ask him to make the jump from a terrific 4th-liner to a good 2nd-liner is too much in a single year. He might not even be able to handle 2nd-line minutes at the peak of his career.

The Habs need Gomez for one more year, where he should bounce back, at which point you can trade him for assets rather than buying him out and praying that you luck into a $3-4m million/year centre to replace him. Eller showed some terrific progression throughout the year and will hopefully be able to replace Gomez next season (he's not there yet).

Old
06-14-2011, 11:33 AM
MathMan

Quote:
I can't believe I'm saying this as a sports stat nerd, but you need to look beyond the stats (or at least the ones you are looking at).
I always find it highly ironic when I get told I put too much emphasis on numbers, when the majority of hockey fans evaluate a player solely on his points total.

Quote:
The Habs need Gomez for one more year, where he should bounce back, at which point you can trade him for assets rather than buying him out and praying that you luck into a $3-4m million/year centre to replace him. Eller showed some terrific progression throughout the year and will hopefully be able to replace Gomez next season (he's not there yet).
I think that's the plan really.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:33 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
I can't believe I'm saying this as a sports stat nerd, but you need to look beyond the stats (or at least the ones you are looking at). Goals and points don't tell you all that much unless you look at them in a greater context, especially the matchups a player is used in. Desharnais was absolutely terrific last year, but it was in a 4th-line role against 4th-line players on the opposition. To ask him to make the jump from a terrific 4th-liner to a good 2nd-liner is too much in a single year. He might not even be able to handle 2nd-line minutes at the peak of his career.

I don't want to defend DD because I don't like him that much. But he did produce at a slightly better rate than Gomez did while, as you say, playing on the 4th line which entails 4th line minutes and 4th line teammates. Give him Gomez's 18 minutes a game, PP time and Gionta and MaxPac on the wings, and, in this greater context, DD would get more than 7 goals and 38 points. Halpern might beat 38 points also!

I hope Gomez bounces back but fear he will not. He's scored 21 goals in 184 games since he's been with the Habs. Those are Brian Skrudland numbers!

Old
06-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Roke

Quote:
I don't want to defend DD because I don't like him that much. But he did produce at a slightly better rate than Gomez did while, as you say, playing on the 4th line which entails 4th line minutes and 4th line teammates. Give him Gomez's 18 minutes a game, PP time and Gionta and MaxPac on the wings, and, in this greater context, DD would get more than 7 goals and 38 points. Halpern might beat 38 points also!
Except that rather than facing the likes of Campbell-Paille-Thornton, Desharnais would be up against Lucic-Krejci-Horton. That's a huge difference in talent to play defensively against as well as offensively, especially for a centre.

I really like Desharnais as a 4th-line guy who plays on special-teams (especially the powerplay). I don't think a tough guy or two on the 4th-line is going to make the other lines play better (not beyond what you would expect from random variation in any case) and it almost certainly doesn't prevent injuries. So, barring a complete change in the Habs' forward group I expect the Habs would be better off with a 4th-line that can dominate opposition 4th lines and play on special teams.

Looking at some of the underlying numbers, I'm tempted to say that Desharnais was an elite 4th-liner at even-strength last season. Keeping Desharnais in the role helps the Habs out-score the opposition at even-strength, on the powerplay, and he didn't look too bad helping to prevent goals on the penalty-kill either. Barring changes in the rules which would allow you to get thugs to pound the crap out of opposition stars without any risk of penalty, Desharnais is my ideal 4th-line player.

Old
06-14-2011, 12:19 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Except that rather than facing the likes of Campbell-Paille-Thornton, Desharnais would be up against Lucic-Krejci-Horton. That's a huge difference in talent to play defensively against as well as offensively, especially for a centre.

I really like Desharnais as a 4th-line guy who plays on special-teams (especially the powerplay). I don't think a tough guy or two on the 4th-line is going to make the other lines play better (not beyond what you would expect from random variation in any case) and it almost certainly doesn't prevent injuries. So, barring a complete change in the Habs' forward group I expect the Habs would be better off with a 4th-line that can dominate opposition 4th lines and play on special teams.

Looking at some of the underlying numbers, I'm tempted to say that Desharnais was an elite 4th-liner at even-strength last season. Keeping Desharnais in the role helps the Habs out-score the opposition at even-strength, on the powerplay, and he didn't look too bad helping to prevent goals on the penalty-kill either. Barring changes in the rules which would allow you to get thugs to pound the crap out of opposition stars without any risk of penalty, Desharnais is my ideal 4th-line player.
Let's agree to disagree. In my opinion, having Michael Rupp as my 4th line center is way more important than having a 3rd undersized center like DD in that position. And I think last night's game between the big bad Bruins and the sheepish Canucks is proof enough. DD may be somewhat effective on the 4th line during the regular season but would be useless in the playoffs against the Bruins and the Flyers, on the 4th line. He was actually promoted to the 2nd line this year in the playoffs before getting injured and played quite well, albeit briefly.

Old
06-14-2011, 12:51 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I always find it highly ironic when I get told I put too much emphasis on numbers, when the majority of hockey fans evaluate a player solely on his points total.

I think that's the plan really.
Frankly you have the balls to make your name Mathman knowing full well you're a stats guy. It isn't like you try to deny it or anything. Plus I've seen you use more than stats plenty of times when discussing the habs. The majority of hockey fans aren't typically HFBoards members though. I feel that a lot of HFBoards members are far from being typical fans. We are the diehards. Those other people you're referring to don't watch every single game, don't follow the NHL outside of the habs, don't discuss hockey aside from casual conversations, know nothing about the cap, players outside our org, etc. HFBoards members are pretty knowledgeable in general imo. It's what attracted me to the site in the first place. So while it may be typical of a lot of fans in general to just look at numbers and pick out of a hat, I think a lot of fans on here (even ones I tend to disagree with) put a lot of thought into their ideas and proposals.

Point is it can sometimes be refreshing around here to have somebody who knows the stats well and can discuss things from more of a stats point of view. Far too many people here (myself inclusive) are the total opposite and just talk the talk.

Old
06-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I don't see how laying down the law/protecting the skill players works unless you have guys like Rupp on the ice with your top-6 players, in which case you're weakening your match-ups a great deal. If you are going to toughen up to prevent the Neanderthalism you have to do it throughout the lineup with effective players. To do so otherwise is a half-measure which will only be effective when your "tough" guys are on the ice.

Alternatively, the Habs can try to acquire Gregory Campbell so we can maybe persuade Collie to have his referees actually enforce the rules (yes, Campbell stepped down as the disciplinarian but he is still Director of Hockey Operations). With the Habs powerplay being as effective as it has been for the last half-decade or so that would probably be even more effective. Though Campbell is probably too valuable for Boston for them to get rid of them.
The rough stuff isn't a problem on most nights, but when it is you need guys taht can step up. If a game is a blowout...5-0 against a team that can be greasy(Boston Phillie etc) then stick Rupp or somebody similar with Cammy and Plekanec. Put a Vandermeer/O'brien with Markov or Subban. Plus those guys are not complete stiffs they can contribute without fighting, and a playoff time when they let everything go they have even more importance, just look at Thornton running at everybody and nothing gets called.

Old
06-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Getting rid of Gomez and his 7.3M Cap hit for another 4 years will cost us.

First of all, Havlat is much much better than Gomez, would fit in well with Plek and Cammy, and his 5M Cap hit for 3 years offers us some flexibility.

With Gomez gone, Eller and DD move up and I believe they can handle the #2 or #3 spots and be more productive than Gomez.

Weber is ok, but not even in our top 6.

Kristo is a decent prospect but Minnesota won't take on Gomez without getting something good in return.

The 17th pick in this years draft is substantial but Minnesota won't take on Gomez without getting something good in return.

Cammy-Plek-Havlat
MaxPac-DD-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-AK46
Moan-Rupp-White

I prefer this lineup to anyone that includes Gomez and we get an extra 2.3M on the Cap. We can easily sign Wiz... maybe even Bieksa.

Call it ridiculous if you want, but I'd do it.
First of all Gomez only has 3 years left on his contract, not 4. The best way to get rid of his contract is to have him bounce back this year(he should), then the last 2 years of his contract are very small market friendly, owed 10 mil but has 14.7 mil cap hit. If he bounces back to the 60-65 point range I'm sure finding a taker won't be hard. Worst case you put him on waivers and send him down, 10 mil is a lot easier to sell to Geoff Molson than 17.5 mil.

Trading valuable assets(Kristo Weber 2011 1st) just to dump a guy's contract and stick Desharnais on line 2 is preposterous, in the real world of the NHL people would laugh in your face. Unless signing Richards to a semi reasonable contract is an option(probably unlikely), there is not much on the UFA market that will be an upgrade on Gomez anyways. A motivated gomez might get a huge year out of him, he's known as a proud guy, has 2 cups, I doubt he wants to be the next Redden or Souray, I wouldn't bet against him having a big year.

You throw around guys like Weber and Kristo like they have no value, it's with cheap young guys like that coming up in the system taht makes a team successful, just look at Boston, they are getting big production from Marchand Beverley Boychuk McQuaid, Vancouver from Burrows, Raymond, Hansen etc

Old
06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Laich is not even that good

Too many people raving about Brooks Laich...
Personally I'd pay him max 2-2.5m, but Of course if your trying to save money a Kopecky at 2m is better because Brooks Laich will get over-paid (around 4m) mark my words....hoping it is not us.
One reason why Brooks is getting so many raves (For those Brown Nosers). Laich played mostly with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
Too many people raving about Brooks Laich...
Personally I'd pay him max 2-2.5m, but Of course if your trying to save money a Kopecky at 2m is better because Brooks Laich will get over-paid (around 4m) mark my words....hoping it is not us.
One reason why Brooks is getting so many raves (For those Brown Nosers). Laich played mostly with Ovechkin and Backstrom.
No Knuble played with Backstrom and Ovechkin, pretty much always. Laich is a good complimentary guy, and the habs have needs and cap space... why not spend it on a guy they need like Laich?

Closed Thread