HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Off Season Thread. Trade Spec/GM Mode - Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2011, 12:16 PM
  #626
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Not sure if this has been discussed but I'm assuming that dealing for Brouwer means that Laich won't be re-signed by Washington.

I really really hope we make a strong push for him because I have a feeling Philly is going to be going after him. If he doesn't sign with us, than I hope he signs in the West because while he's not an elite player he is somebody that could push an Eastern rival like Philly over the top.

I think adding Laich up front would give us as good of a chance as anybody else in the East at the Cup next year (provided we stay relatively healthy).

MM425 is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 12:17 PM
  #627
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed but I'm assuming that dealing for Brouwer means that Laich won't be re-signed by Washington.

I really really hope we make a strong push for him because I have a feeling Philly is going to be going after him. If he doesn't sign with us, than I hope he signs in the West because while he's not an elite player he is somebody that could push an Eastern rival like Philly over the top.

I think adding Laich up front would give us as good of a chance as anybody else in the East at the Cup next year (provided we stay relatively healthy).
Yup, signing Laich has to be our biggest priority on July 1st now.

I'd go as high as 4.5M over 5 years for him.

Cammy-Pleks-Laich
Patchs-Gomez-Gionta
DD-Eller-AK

Serious top 9 depth right there, with some big-body scorers in Patchs, AK and Laich

JGRB is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 12:21 PM
  #628
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Serious top 9 depth right there, with some big-body scorers in Patchs, AK and Laich
Don't forget about one of HF's favorite buzz-words:

INTANGIBLES!!!!

MM425 is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 02:34 PM
  #629
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
So we lose Wizniewski for nothing?

Was kind of hoping one of Detroit's 2nd rounders would belong to us this day..

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
06-25-2011, 02:40 PM
  #630
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,334
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So we lose Wizniewski for nothing?

Was kind of hoping one of Detroit's 2nd rounders would belong to us this day..
We can always get next years draft picks.

macavoy is online now  
Old
06-25-2011, 03:51 PM
  #631
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,457
vCash: 500
I want a power forward just as much as anybody, but my rankings are

1)Andrew Ladd
2)Eric Cole
3)Scott Hartnell (trade obviously)
4)Brooks Laich

I never really liked Laich offensively, not very gifted with the puck IMO. Also, get Gagne ASAP. perfect 3rd line hometown player for Eller.

Maxpac is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 05:07 PM
  #632
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
trade Gomez to Phx along with Pyatt/Pouliot for Rosival
trade Spacek to ??? for future considerations or late 2012 pick

sign:
Gagne- 2 years 8m, (4M cap)
Belanger or Handzus- 1 year, 1.75M
Talbot- 3 years 4M (1.3M cap)



MaxPac- Pleks- Gionta
Cammalleri- Eller- Kost
Gagne- DD- Handzus/Belanger
Moen- Talbot- Darche
(White/Palushaj)

Markov- Rosival
Gorges- Subban
Gill- Weber
(Emelin/Diaz)

Price
Auld

solid opening day roster, plus i believe it would leave us with a nice amount of cap space to potentially use in-season if a quality player on a bigger cap-hit becomes available.

Miller Time is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 05:47 PM
  #633
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,547
vCash: 500
The Habs defence is not good enough. They need a #3 dman to round out the core. Currently have good depth with Markov, Subban, Gill, Spacek, and Yemelin signed, plus Weber and Gorges both RFA's. Is the door completely shut on Wiz? Have their been any news lately regarding him? If he walks, a replacement is definitely needed.

NLHabsFan is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 06:08 PM
  #634
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I want a power forward just as much as anybody, but my rankings are

1)Andrew Ladd
2)Eric Cole
3)Scott Hartnell (trade obviously)
4)Brooks Laich

I never really liked Laich offensively, not very gifted with the puck IMO. Also, get Gagne ASAP. perfect 3rd line hometown player for Eller.
I don't know why some keep repeating this. Next to Ovy, Backstrom and Semin, sure he may not look gifted with the puck. But do I have to post the YouTube video of Laich scoring a hat trick against us again? Anyways, his puck skills are fine.

And Andrew Ladd would be a great 2nd line centre for this team, but there's absolutely no way that Winnipeg lets their young captain go.

SB164 is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 06:08 PM
  #635
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I want a power forward just as much as anybody, but my rankings are

1)Andrew Ladd
2)Eric Cole
3)Scott Hartnell (trade obviously)
4)Brooks Laich

I never really liked Laich offensively, not very gifted with the puck IMO. Also, get Gagne ASAP. perfect 3rd line hometown player for Eller.
Watch this video and tell me he's not gifted with the puck. I remember watching this game and saying to myself at the time, "damn, we never get players like that..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RVDwfly_E&feature=fvst

Markowicz is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 06:28 PM
  #636
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So we lose Wizniewski for nothing?

Was kind of hoping one of Detroit's 2nd rounders would belong to us this day..
I didn't realise it was July 1st?

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 06:37 PM
  #637
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Laich always played great against us, but he's still not a great top 6 player. You'd think like all players who come here his offense would suffer, so you're looking at a borderline 20 goal scorer with us.

However considering his work ethic I think he'd still put up similar goal totals on our team, but his assists would drop.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 07:21 PM
  #638
dcyhabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
The Habs defence is not good enough. They need a #3 dman to round out the core. Currently have good depth with Markov, Subban, Gill, Spacek, and Yemelin signed, plus Weber and Gorges both RFA's. Is the door completely shut on Wiz? Have their been any news lately regarding him? If he walks, a replacement is definitely needed.
Seconded. With Martin's system having one or two more fast offensive defensemen will make way more difference than adding one or more forwards. With Markov back we really only need one more guy, and Wiz could be it.

If PG dumps Wiz and takes Laich he will still need to spend 5 mil or so on another D-man if he wants to compete. Laich will be wasted if he has to come back to make up for the old, slow, D.

dcyhabs is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 07:26 PM
  #639
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,677
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So we lose Wizniewski for nothing?

Was kind of hoping one of Detroit's 2nd rounders would belong to us this day..
Habs lose his rights on July 1st. Technically, they can still trade him and possibly obtain a 2012 pick.

__________________
"I really like the way Drew Doughty plays the game. He's like a defenceman version of Erik Karlsson."
-68
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 11:18 PM
  #640
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,941
vCash: 500
Cammy-Pleks-Richards
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
AK-Eller-Moen
Darche-DD-Pouliot

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Wiz
Gill-Emelin
Weber

White
Pyatt

Of course with Price our rodeo brick wall

Just for for fun. What about going with 4 lines that can score. I just watched Nos Canadiens with Pouliot and he served a heck of a pass to Darche who was driving to the net. With DD, that's be an offensive 4th line. Don't you win in hockey by scoring more goals anyway ? With all our offensive Dman, (even Emelin can make a pass), it could work, if they all also play defense, which is what Martin is all about.

FF de Mars is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 11:19 PM
  #641
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Cammy-Pleks-Richards
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
AK-Eller-Moen
Darche-DD-Pouliot

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Wiz
Gill-Emelin
Weber
White
Pyatt

Of course Price our rodeo brick wall

Just for for. What about going with 4 lines that can score. I just watched Nos Canadiens with Pouliot and he served a heck of a pass to Darche who was driving to the net. With DD, that's be an offensive 4th line. Don't you win in hockey by scoring more goals anyway ? With all our offensive Dman, (even Emelin can make a pass), it could work, if they all also play defense, which is what Martin is all about.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If that's our 4th line, we might as well concede the playoffs right now. There's no way we're going anywhere with that lack of toughness, regardless of if we get Richards or not.

Ginu is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 11:25 PM
  #642
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,355
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So we lose Wizniewski for nothing?

Was kind of hoping one of Detroit's 2nd rounders would belong to us this day..
Souray,Komisarek, Streit... always the same mistake of losing assets.


I keep seeing Emelin on the top pair...its not realistic. At best hes gonna be on the 3rd pair. Hope im wrong tho.

Also few people talk about the 3 back-ups being UFA's.. would you bring Garon back?

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 11:28 PM
  #643
Pepin le bref
Registered User
 
Pepin le bref's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NDG/CDN Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If that's our 4th line, we might as well concede the playoffs right now. There's no way we're going anywhere with that lack of toughness, regardless of if we get Richards or not.
So far we've got White, Moen and Darche as bottom-6 grinders. If we could add a guy like Mike Rupp, it would give nice balance to our group of forwards.

Pepin le bref is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 11:35 PM
  #644
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
If a trade occur with Phoenix for Gomez, would we be better off with Rosival
or Klesla?

habsrule22 is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 11:47 PM
  #645
habshound247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
If a trade occur with Phoenix for Gomez, would we be better off with Rosival
or Klesla?
Personally I would rather have Klesla. With Columbus being the meat grinder for talent that it has been, I believe Klesla could prosper with reduced responsibilty in Montreal.

habshound247 is offline  
Old
06-25-2011, 11:54 PM
  #646
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
Personally I would rather have Klesla. With Columbus being the meat grinder for talent that it has been, I believe Klesla could prosper with reduced responsibilty in Montreal.
Klesla is in Phoenix now. There 2 rumours on the internet Gomez + for Rosival or Klesla.

habsrule22 is offline  
Old
06-26-2011, 12:17 AM
  #647
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If that's our 4th line, we might as well concede the playoffs right now. There's no way we're going anywhere with that lack of toughness, regardless of if we get Richards or not.
For sure, that bottom six lacks toughness. But they'd score more goals than any bottom 6 in the league. And you win games by scoring more goals than the opposition. Vancouver didn't have any depth. That's why they lost. Lapierre can troll all he wants. I'm happy he's not with us anymore. Pouliot can snipe it one home any second he's on the ice. That's something common grinders can't do.

PS About the Gomez rumours. I don't get it. We have the cap space to add Richards, if he wants to play here. What's the point of getting rid of Gomez ? Let's unload him next year, when when need to.


Last edited by FF de Mars: 06-26-2011 at 12:24 AM.
FF de Mars is offline  
Old
06-26-2011, 12:18 AM
  #648
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
For sure, that bottom six lacks toughness. But they'd score more goals than any bottom 6 in the league. And you win games by scoring more goals.
And lose in the first round lol big whoop

Ginu is offline  
Old
06-26-2011, 12:23 AM
  #649
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Laich always played great against us, but he's still not a great top 6 player. You'd think like all players who come here his offense would suffer, so you're looking at a borderline 20 goal scorer with us.

However considering his work ethic I think he'd still put up similar goal totals on our team, but his assists would drop.
He's not the most gifted offensively, but is pretty much exactly what this team wants and needs. Character, size, toughness.

le_sean is offline  
Old
06-26-2011, 12:25 AM
  #650
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Klesla is in Phoenix now. There 2 rumours on the internet Gomez + for Rosival or Klesla.
Where?

Maxpac is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.