HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Season Thread. Trade Spec/GM Mode - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 08:52 PM
supertzar

vCash: 500
I wish I was smart/clairvoyant enough to play GM for the Habs and see my predictions manifest, but alas, I am not!

I feel Jagr would be a solid short term solution to fill out our top 6. Appears to not meant to be. I feel bringing back Wiz while having a healthy Markov would make for a dynamite D core. From most accounts that does not seem likely. Bringing in Bieksa was a solid idea to replace Wiz, that of course can no longer occur.

So I am looking forward to July 1st to see PG's plan to make this team better. While a simple, "another year together as a group" may make the team 'better' I doubt it makes the Habs true contenders. And moves such as resigning Hammer (I read PG and Svboda met today? Svboda being Hammer's agent) won't help much.

We have some money to spend, maybe a Brooks Laich? But there will be competition for him.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:55 PM
supertzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
Pouliot, Pyatt out so what is the plan? Is Gauthier will be active on the UFA's market or are ok with a rookie player ??
let's discuss
I'd like to see us go after Wiz, Laich and Konopka. Maybe not sending out some QO's was to keep in the hunt for Wiz. He seems destined for Detroit though.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:56 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

People forget that Laich is a centre and will want to play as one. No room for him.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
People forget that Laich is a centre and will want to play as one. No room for him.
Since when?

He played wing 80 or more % of the time in Washington, his game is suited as a power winger not a center.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
supertzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
expect the unexpected... or by now, expect the expected:

we'll get some Press conference a week or two into July where the team will say their done, explanations on how we were major players and made solid offers on 2-3 big name quality UFA's, but couldn't attract them...

comments on how we've added the kind of depth and character we need to push us over the top, and praise for our new signees who are bound to excel in our system and perfectly complement the group we have...

rinse, repeat, recycle...
haha, I hold a little more optimism but it does portray most Habs' offseasons accurately.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:59 PM
BigHabs

Now that their teams haven't given them QO's. I think these guys would be key and cheap for the Habs.

Anthony Stewart replaces Pouliot - physicality

Tyler Kennedy replaces Pyatt - PK and numbers in General, 4th line role or 3rd line.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertzar View Post
I wish I was smart/clairvoyant enough to play GM for the Habs and see my predictions manifest, but alas, I am not!

I feel Jagr would be a solid short term solution to fill out our top 6. Appears to not meant to be. I feel bringing back Wiz while having a healthy Markov would make for a dynamite D core. From most accounts that does not seem likely. Bringing in Bieksa was a solid idea to replace Wiz, that of course can no longer occur.

So I am looking forward to July 1st to see PG's plan to make this team better. While a simple, "another year together as a group" may make the team 'better' I doubt it makes the Habs true contenders. And moves such as resigning Hammer (I read PG and Svboda met today? Svboda being Hammer's agent) won't help much.

We have some money to spend, maybe a Brooks Laich? But there will be competition for him.
We don't need big name UFA's, we need a couple of big wingers with decent skill and somebody to drop the gloves...we aren't Toronto.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
Now that their teams haven't given them QO's. I think these guys would be key and cheap for the Habs.

Anthony Stewart replaces Pouliot - physicality

Tyler Kennedy replaces Pyatt - PK and numbers in General, 4th line role or 3rd line.
Anthony Stewart is exactly the type of player the Habs should take a look at July 1...won't cost a great deal but could have a big impact

Old
06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Protest the Hero

Is there a place to find which RFAs have been qualified and which ones have not?

Old
06-27-2011, 09:37 PM
pine*

**HOT NHL RUMOR**Source: Montreal Canadiens are very close 2making a significant deal, 2 sources say it could get done within 48 Hours

Old
06-27-2011, 09:41 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
**HOT NHL RUMOR**Source: Montreal Canadiens are very close 2making a significant deal, 2 sources say it could get done within 48 Hours

how legit is that? Is that Bob Gainey?

Old
06-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Pax Macioretty

Not surprised about the rumor whatsoever. Gaudier has to be counting his pennies for a good reason, very exciting for sure...

Last edited by Pax Macioretty: 06-27-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old
06-27-2011, 09:51 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
This was expected after the team not qualifying Pouliot. We need a top six winger and a top 4 defensive dman. If this team can get both these players, Gomez comes back with a 55-65 point season, we are serious contenders. If we Sign Wiz and grab a top 3 winger that would be great. Do it PG.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Figaro95

He's pretty legit, I would say he gets about 75% of his stuff right. Wayyyyyy more reliable then Eklund. I would say its pretty interesting news, lets see if anything happens.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Not surprised about the rumor whatsoever. Gaudier has tox counting his pennies for a good reason, very exciting for sure...
i think this is true...not resigning too young assets like pyatt and pouliot - whether they figured in the plan or not, saves about 2 million to do something else - which i think goat will do.
i think habs will go after some grit to deal with boston next year

Old
06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i think this is true...not resigning too young assets like pyatt and pouliot - whether they figured in the plan or not, saves about 2 million to do something else - which i think goat will do.
i think habs will go after some grit to deal with boston next year

The rumor says significant, adding grit would not be significant but minor. I would think a top 4 d or top 6 winger is significant.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:01 PM
prairie hab

I will guess it is a trade for Ryan Malone. The Bolts need room for Stamkos. Habs will ship Weber and another prospect like Palushaj or a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Malone is the type of presence we need in the top 6.

Done.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Andy

I stopped taking incarcerated bob seriously after he reported that Kostitsyn had been traded and then back tracked. Then he said the habs were interested in Dumont and the trade could occur at any minute, but then backtracked and said, the habs are talking with nashville, but unsure if its about Dumont.

He's been wrong often and most of the stuff he gets right is when he just repeats things other legitimate insiders are talking about. He'll say the same thing as them, keep it vague and add "could happen at any moment", then when it happens, he'll take the praise.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
My wishlist (obviously don't want everybody...I'd have to wish for more than 1 team in Montreal...but just for the idea to not be dissapointed....

FORWARDS: Not all of them, but all of these guys are worth a look. Some more than a look....
Brad Winchester (Filler with size)
Chad Larose (Type of player that could be this year's Dominic Moore)
Tomas Fleishmann (what's his healthy status?)
Scottie Upshall (Still believes in him...)
Alexandre Giroux (we need to think of our Bulldogs as well...)
Marty Reasoner (Nice speed and nice size for bottom 6)
Joel Ward ( I guess that this playoffs cinderalla will sign with them)
Zenon Konopka (Already talked about...)
Ville Leino (Would be a nice and solid addition)
Alexandre Picard (no, not him...the forward....Dogs material)
Max Talbot (I believe he still has some mileage left...)
Mike Rupp (Wanted this guy for 10 years now...)
Sean Bergenheim (CLEARY fits the identity of this team)
Brooks Laich (Would bring something we don't have a lot...)
Matt Bradley (Always liked him despite deceiving me several times..)
Tyler Kennedy (Fits so much the profile of this team...)
Christian Hanson (just to see him succeed away from Toronto so that fans who are dissapointed of that decision, regret it even more...I mean it's our time to see ex-Leafs or ex-Bruins succeed with us.
Anthony Stewart (Clear as to why he should be with us)

D-Men: Well obviously, are D's are pretty much settled, unless a trade happens or some other things. But for the right price, those d-men could be look at:
Joni Pitkanen
Jonathan Ericsson
Shane O'Brien
Radek Martinek
Ed Jovanovski

Goalies: To me, Garon is the perfect fit. But there are others...
Mathieu Garon
Joey MacDonald
Johan Hedberg
JS Giguere (Can you play that role now?)
Cedrick Desjardins

Old
06-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
A deal could happen, obviously...everything could happen. Yet, I just love those "Deal can happen in 48 hours" type of post....48 hours....just enough time so that mysteriously...the deal just fell off at the last second.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My wishlist (obviously don't want everybody...I'd have to wish for more than 1 team in Montreal...but just for the idea to not be dissapointed....

FORWARDS: Not all of them, but all of these guys are worth a look. Some more than a look....
Brad Winchester (Filler with size)
Chad Larose (Type of player that could be this year's Dominic Moore)
Tomas Fleishmann (what's his healthy status?)
Scottie Upshall (Still believes in him...)
Alexandre Giroux (we need to think of our Bulldogs as well...)
Marty Reasoner (Nice speed and nice size for bottom 6)
Joel Ward ( I guess that this playoffs cinderalla will sign with them)
Zenon Konopka (Already talked about...)
Ville Leino (Would be a nice and solid addition)
Alexandre Picard (no, not him...the forward....Dogs material)
Max Talbot (I believe he still has some mileage left...)
Mike Rupp (Wanted this guy for 10 years now...)
Sean Bergenheim (CLEARY fits the identity of this team)
Brooks Laich (Would bring something we don't have a lot...)
Matt Bradley (Always liked him despite deceiving me several times..)
Tyler Kennedy (Fits so much the profile of this team...)
Christian Hanson (just to see him succeed away from Toronto so that fans who are dissapointed of that decision, regret it even more...I mean it's our time to see ex-Leafs or ex-Bruins succeed with us.
Anthony Stewart (Clear as to why he should be with us)
Good list WS! You forgot one player...

Pascal Dupuis!!!

I think he'd look good on a line with Eller and Kostitsyn. I still think he has some left in the tank. Could come cheap. Fits the team identity. Great two-way player.

Last edited by Andy: 06-27-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old
06-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Since when?

He played wing 80 or more % of the time in Washington, his game is suited as a power winger not a center.
He took as many faceoffs as Halpern last year. He played all over the place actually, I wouldn't say he played 80% on the wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
I will guess it is a trade for Ryan Malone. The Bolts need room for Stamkos. Habs will ship Weber and another prospect like Palushaj or a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Malone is the type of presence we need in the top 6.

Done.
Wouldn't mind getting Malone at all, but I don't want to get him for Weber and Palushaj, no way. I don't want Weber to be moved.
If Emelin doesn't pan out, Subban is our only young prospect. Gill and Spacek will come off the books next year, and Weber should be ready for a full time NHL spot.
If Emelin and Diaz both work out well, then Weber becomes expendable, but I wouldn't give both him and Palushaj unless Malone would be coming with a prospect as well.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Pascal Dupuis!!!

I think he'd look good on a line with Eller and Kostitsyn. I still think he has some left in the tank. Could come cheap. Fits the team identity. Great two-way player.

That's just more of the same. Give me a freackin player that brings a new dimension to the line-up, just once please...

Our identity is slowly but surely changing, Gauthier is looking to improve the team and bring it to the next level. Adding Dupuis' just makes us go in circles, and it takes a spot away from either a prospect, a gritty forward, a top 6 winger or Mathieu Darche (13th forward).

Old
06-27-2011, 10:54 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He took as many faceoffs as Halpern last year. He played all over the place actually, I wouldn't say he played 80% on the wing.
Halpern took 25% more face offs per game than Laich did last year.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

To whoever said they felt Habs were exploring trades involving Gorges...I'm with you. This "big trade" that's supposedly happening might involve Gorges going away. Just a feeling - no real truth to anything.

Closed Thread