HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers out of Richards sweepstakes?

Old
06-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
god i cant believe tampa fans are still talking about richards coming back... not happening

Oh sorry Mr. Yzerman. How foolish of us!

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:35 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
god i cant believe tampa fans are still talking about richards coming back... not happening

Why not? I ask this not as a Tampa fan, but rather just being curious as to how you know that this will not happen.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:49 PM
chasespace

Quote:

The same can be said for Toronto and Ranger fans. The only way we know it won't be happening is after he's signed a contract.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:51 PM
stavs

forward overkill much?

defense average at best?

goaltending?

no its not happening

Its already been discussed over tens of pages on this board, it does NOT MAKE SENSE for tampa to do this and leave their bigger issues at D and goaltending unchanged.

If anything i will say that tampa is a pipedream in the richards sweepstakes

Last edited by stavs: 06-10-2011 at 06:57 PM.
stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:55 PM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 95
So upgrading Gagne (injury-prone, inconsistant, old cap hit $5.250m) by letting him walk and try to sign Richards (who is not uninterested, still rents a home in Tampa, BFFs playing here, great franchise with bright future, no state income tax) at a discount is stupid and bad management? Aight.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
forward overkill much?

defense average at best?

goaltending?

no its not happening
Not to mention having to resign Stamkos (due for a massive raise), Purcell, Downie, Hedman and Bergenheim in the next two years...and also a starting goalie...and only Ohlund is on the books past '12-13...and they apparently have an internal cap.

I really don't see it happening.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:59 PM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
So upgrading Gagne (injury-prone, inconsistant, old cap hit $5.250m) by letting him walk and try to sign Richards at a discount is stupid and bad management? Aight.
how do you know gagne will not resign for cheap? what about brewer if he wants to resign? thats another 4 mil at least right there, it will be a terribly mismanaged team if stevie Y does decide to do this, and I can almost guarantee that. Great top six, but a terrible lack of depth, no defense other than hedman and brewer and goaltending will have a ton of question marks. Good luck winning a cup with that sort of team.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:02 PM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
Not to mention having to resign Stamkos (due for a massive raise), Purcell, Downie, Hedman and Bergenheim in the next two years...and also a starting goalie...and only Ohlund is on the books past '12-13...and they apparently have an internal cap.

I really don't see it happening.
didnt look that far ahead, but it adds to the notion of richards not fitting in at tampa.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:05 PM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
The same can be said for Toronto and Ranger fans. The only way we know it won't be happening is after he's signed a contract.

except that it makes SENSE for both of those teams to go after him unlike tampa....

Old
06-10-2011, 07:08 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Not to mention having to resign Stamkos (due for a massive raise)
His cap hit already was $3.725m in 2010/11 so that "massive raise" will be $3-3.5m at best.
Quote:
Purcell
Will get a Downie-like raise at best. Downie signed for $1.850m after his breakout year (22 goals, 46 points, 208 PIM) after the 09/11 campaign. Either that or he'll be traded / walk.
Quote:
Bergenheim
See Purcell.
Quote:
Hedman
Kubina ($3.850m cap hit) will come off the books right when Hedman is up for a new contract. Barring Hedman having a breakout season in 2011/12 (45+ points) that will be more than enough to re-sign him and get a 3rd pairing D on the free agency market or give someone from camp a shot.
Quote:
also a starting goalie
We have nice goaltending depth in our system (Tokarski, Desjardins, Janus). Roloson is likely to sign for another year, either Smith or one of the FA backups will be our #2 until one of the youngins is ready.
Quote:
Ohlund
...is a problem, I give you that.
Quote:
and they apparently have an internal cap.
Which team doesn't? Also, it's funny how fans of other teams claim to have more insight on our team's financial condition than us. All despite an owner who publicly gave Yzerman the OK to spend to the cap if he thinks it's necessary.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 06-10-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old
06-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
The same can be said for Toronto and Ranger fans.
No, it really can't.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:21 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
except that it makes SENSE for both of those teams to go after him unlike tampa....
As said above:

- injury-prone, inconsistant player

+ fan favorite, PP QB (which the Bolts are lacking to this day), a player who has great chemistry with our stars Lecavalier and St. Louis

= nonsense?

Sure it makes sense. When you have the chance to improve your team you'll take it. It's really just dependent on how much of a discount Richards would be willing to take. "But you already have two great centers" - doesn't matter in Boucher's system. Besides, Lecavalier would make a great winger while Stamkos arguably has played more on wing than center this season.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:40 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
No, it really can't.
It can, to an extent. All 3 teams/fanbases want him but Tampa is the only team that doesn't need him. But still, people have been known to acquire things they don't need.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Which team doesn't? Also, it's funny how fans of other teams claim to have more insight on our team's financial condition than us. All despite an owner who publicly gave Yzerman the OK to spend to the cap if he thinks it's necessary.
I can name ten teams with no (apparent) internal cap; Toronto, San Jose, Montreal, the Rangers, Philadelphia, Vancouver, Boston, Chicago, Detroit and Pittsburgh. Only teams that are losing money have internal caps.

So because I'm a fan of the game first and my team second doesn't mean I may have some insight into the cap situations of other teams? You don't see the problem in having at least 22 million locked up in your top 3 centers, with having a shortage of D on the horizon when your organizational depth at D is nothing to write home about?

The Leafs are now the frontrunner, but LA, Minnesota, Calgary, Edmonton and St. Louis are in the race.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Edgeworth*

Anyone who thinks the Lightning have financial trouble is stupid. The team has a great owner, better then 80% of other NHL owners if you go by anyone in the Lightning organization or NHL that has had contact with him, he's allowed them to spend to the cap.

The issue isn't money but where Richards slots in, who plays wing? Richards? I wouldn't move Stamkos from center because of his youth, Vinny plays center very well and I don't think Richards has ever played wing but Richards - Lecavalier - St. Louis would be a boss line.

Whereas Toronto and New York can sign him because they have more room dedicated to him and the top center position for him. But yeah, no reason Tampa can't be in the running at all.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:56 PM
frankthefrowner

The big x factor here for me is the fact that why would Richards And his agent allow NY to be out of the bidding? Even if your not interested in coming to NYC you never ever reveal that fact in any sport.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:07 PM
stavs

Quote:
As said above:

- injury-prone, inconsistant player

+ fan favorite, PP QB (which the Bolts are lacking to this day), a player who has great chemistry with our stars Lecavalier and St. Louis

= nonsense?

Sure it makes sense. When you have the chance to improve your team you'll take it. It's really just dependent on how much of a discount Richards would be willing to take. "But you already have two great centers" - doesn't matter in Boucher's system. Besides, Lecavalier would make a great winger while Stamkos arguably has played more on wing than center this season.

you need to learn money management and how to distribute it evenly

I'm done arguing with you tampa fans, enjoy the Richards pipedream for what its worth

Old
06-10-2011, 08:19 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:

I'm done arguing with you tampa fans, enjoy the Richards pipedream for what its worth
Yeah, having almost $5.3 million locked up in Gagne sure hurt us this season. Oh wait...

Do you actually read my / other Lightning fans' posts? We are very aware of the fact that if Richards is going to demand $6.5m or $7m (cap hit) or even more, this won't get done and that that money is better spent elsewhere (namely defense). It depends on the discount he's willing to take. If we can sign him to a Marty St. Louis kinda deal / ~$6m cap hit - how the hell could we say no?

For all we know Tampa is still on top of his personal as well as professional list and a very attractive organization to be part of. So this isn't in any way less realistic than him joining your oh so properly managed Leafs.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 06-10-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old
06-10-2011, 08:21 PM
stammerhammer91

Richards is gonna sign with tampa for 4 million a year, book it!!

stammerhammer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:25 PM
I Am Beat You

-The Lightning will have over 22 million in cap space.
-The cap could go up by around 3 million
-Richards won a cup here

Anybody with common sense and reading ability should realize that he has also hinted at wanting to return and for a discount. To imply that the Lightning aren't a front runner is foolish.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:26 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:

*Looks at avatar, shakes head and laughs.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:31 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:

AHAHAHAHAHAAH

How long has it been since NY or Toronto had a defense that earned their paychecks? Or forwards, or the coach, or the GM's that made those contracts.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Yeah, having almost $5.3 million locked up in Gagne sure hurt us this season. Oh wait...

Do you actually read my / other Lightning fans' posts? We are very aware of the fact that if Richards is going to demand $6.5m or $7m (cap hit) or even more, this won't get done and that that money is better spent elsewhere (namely defense). It depends on the discount he's willing to take. If we can sign him to a Marty St. Louis kinda deal / ~$6m cap hit - how the hell could we say no?

For all we know Tampa is still on top of his personal as well as professional list and a very attractive organization to be part of. So this isn't in any way less realistic than him joining your precious Leafs.
Yeah even Richards has said that he wouldn't make as much as he would in other markets. But if we come calling then he would definetly consider it. I'm pretty sure he will be looking for a St.louis type of deal. Also I feel like this needs to be said. Lets say we sign him for a 6 to 6.5 mill cap hit. It doesn't have to be a career ending contract. Most likley will be a 2 to 3 year deal and then will resign him once his contract is near to ending at a lower hit. If Richards does come here, it will be for the rest of his career, he will retire as a bolt.

You could have the most Stacked offense in the league, in the past decade for that matter. But if a player comes along and wants to join which will make your offense even better, you do it.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
We do... as do all teams. We spent about $55M last year (although our "internal cap" a/k/a "budget" was actually higher) and it has already been announced that it will increase this year.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
how do you know gagne will not resign for cheap?
We don't. We don't know he won't, either. None of us know anything. However, I'll wager Steve Yzerman has an idea of what he'll sign for, and since he's our UFA, we'll know before 7/1, which is really what matters.

Not to anyone specifically: let me ask this. Being objective and as a purely hypothetical, how low would you say Richards' salary would have to be to make signing Richards a palatable move for Tampa. I'm not asking whether he would accept it, I'm not asking if it's a realistic number, but what would the maximum be that you would offer him if you were Steve Yzerman and were interested in signing him?

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote