HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes Board Lounge Part III

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

vCash: 500
Aaaaannnd the flight is canceled.

Old
07-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton the Great View Post
Half of the Pirates playable roster is on the DL. We're tied for the division lead with Matt Diaz, Lyle Overbay, Chase d'Arnaud, and Garrett Jones as regular starters. We aren't going anywhere.
wrong, your pitching is WAY overachieving... Trust me, you're not sticking with the Cards or Brewers... And talk about injuries, the Cards have had and still have much more significant injuries than the Pirates

Old
07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I still like the Cards to win the NL Central. If they had Wainwright for the whole season they would probably be running away with the division. I don't think it matters though, I have the Phillies vs. Red Sox in the WS. Both look unstoppable.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:07 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Aaaaannnd the flight is canceled.
There's always the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Been there actually. I thought it was pretty awesome, and I know nothing about racing. It's too expensive to get into, though.

07-25-2011, 09:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Been there actually. I thought it was pretty awesome, and I know nothing about racing. It's too expensive to get into, though.
Well, it's a Monday night in Charlotte. Your options are limited.

If you happen to have a half a loaf of bread and some malt liquor, you can hang out with the vagrants on N. Tryon St.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthStaal View Post
I still like the Cards to win the NL Central. If they had Wainwright for the whole season they would probably be running away with the division. I don't think it matters though, I have the Phillies vs. Red Sox in the WS. Both look unstoppable.
Wainwright out for the year, Pujols been on DL, Holliday twice on DL, Closer coming into the season went half a year with a 8.50+ ERA and blew 8 saves before losing job and then wasn't cut til the ASB, and Pujols slumping and finally coming out of it...

The Cards have had everything go wrong and are still in first... I like them too

Old
07-25-2011, 10:18 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Honestly the NASCAR HOF should have gone to another city like Richmond or Daytona. The HOF has had low attendance and NASCAR isn't as popular here as it was in the 90's.

I suppose it could have been more successful had it been built in the 90's, that seemed to sort of be the rise in popularity with NASCAR.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
If you happen to have a half a loaf of bread and some malt liquor, you can hang out with the vagrants on N. Tryon St.
We're actually pretty selective about who we will allow down.

Old
07-26-2011, 07:22 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Honestly the NASCAR HOF should have gone to another city like Richmond or Daytona. The HOF has had low attendance and NASCAR isn't as popular here as it was in the 90's.

I suppose it could have been more successful had it been built in the 90's, that seemed to sort of be the rise in popularity with NASCAR.
I don't think it would have done better in either of those places. Charlotte bent over backward to get the thing and is as NASCAR-friendly as anywhere. It's just that NASCAR was at its peak when the HOF was built, and within a couple of years both the sport and the economy hit the skids. The same result would have taken place anywhere.

Old
07-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Carolinas Identity
NY Rangers Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Wainwright out for the year, Pujols been on DL, Holliday twice on DL, Closer coming into the season went half a year with a 8.50+ ERA and blew 8 saves before losing job and then wasn't cut til the ASB, and Pujols slumping and finally coming out of it...

The Cards have had everything go wrong and are still in first... I like them too
The Cards might win the division, but at this point it's anyone's guess, but I still feel like the Central is the weakest division in the NL. I honestly don't think I could see any Central team getting past the Phillies//Braves//Giants//Diamondbacks in a playoff series, especially the DS where pitching is so important. Those four teams have imo, way better top ends of their rotations than any of the teams in the Central, but at the same time anything can happen in playoffs I guess =)

Old
07-26-2011, 02:28 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneInCalgary View Post
The Cards might win the division, but at this point it's anyone's guess, but I still feel like the Central is the weakest division in the NL. I honestly don't think I could see any Central team getting past the Phillies//Braves//Giants//Diamondbacks in a playoff series, especially the DS where pitching is so important. Those four teams have imo, way better top ends of their rotations than any of the teams in the Central, but at the same time anything can happen in playoffs I guess =)
On paper yes, but the way things have played out this season the Pirates are actually one of the best starting rotations in the entire NL. I honestly don't think Arizona's 3 best are on par with Pittsburgh's right now. Philly, and San Fran (where the **** was this in Pittsburgh Vogelsong?) I agree with you. Atlanta I see as a wash in pitching. But the Pirates pitching is the biggest reason they're where they are right now.

Old
07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Carolinas Identity
NY Rangers Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
On paper yes, but the way things have played out this season the Pirates are actually one of the best starting rotations in the entire NL. I honestly don't think Arizona's 3 best are on par with Pittsburgh's right now. Philly, and San Fran (where the **** was this in Pittsburgh Vogelsong?) I agree with you. Atlanta I see as a wash in pitching. But the Pirates pitching is the biggest reason they're where they are right now.
Well, let's say the Dbacks play the Bucs in a best of 5 DS, the fact I'm an Arizona fan aside, strictly from a betting perspective, would you lay money on Kevin Correia, James McDonald and Paul Maholm out pitching Ian Kennedy, Dan Hudson and Josh Colmenter. I won't talk about hitting (That I honestly think Arizona has an edge in) since this is a pitching discussion. On paper, the Dbacks top 3 are better than Pittsburgh's, but like you said, whether or not that pans out to success is a big ?

All I have to do is look back 10 years in the past, to see Tim Hudson, Barry Zito and Mark Mulder as arguably the best top 3 in baseball history, and they never once could get it done in the playoffs for the A's. The Pirates are putting something special together this year so who knows =)

Old
07-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3729
Quote:
And talk about injuries, the Cards have had and still have much more significant injuries than the Pirates
Mike Card.

Old
07-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Guy

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I don't think it would have done better in either of those places. Charlotte bent over backward to get the thing and is as NASCAR-friendly as anywhere. It's just that NASCAR was at its peak when the HOF was built, and within a couple of years both the sport and the economy hit the skids. The same result would have taken place anywhere.
You got to it before I could, this is a pretty good summary.

I'm not a NASCAR fan by any means either, but I also thought the HoF was pretty well done. NASCAR is one of those things that doesn't really translate well to watching on TV. Turning on a race on a Sunday afternoon during this time of year when other sports options are limited is a good way to ensure you'll be asleep in about 20 minutes. However, the few times I've been to a race I've always had a good time. I suppose that could be due to my affinity for getting drunk and loud though.

Old
07-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

vCash: 274
Quote:
Well, let's say the Dbacks play the Bucs in a best of 5 DS, the fact I'm an Arizona fan aside, strictly from a betting perspective, would you lay money on Kevin Correia, James McDonald and Paul Maholm out pitching Ian Kennedy, Dan Hudson and Josh Colmenter. I won't talk about hitting (That I honestly think Arizona has an edge in) since this is a pitching discussion. On paper, the Dbacks top 3 are better than Pittsburgh's, but like you said, whether or not that pans out to success is a big ?

All I have to do is look back 10 years in the past, to see Tim Hudson, Barry Zito and Mark Mulder as arguably the best top 3 in baseball history, and they never once could get it done in the playoffs for the A's. The Pirates are putting something special together this year so who knows =)
The Pirates top three is Maholm-Karstens-Correia. Morton is the fourth and J-Mac is the fifth. Just for the record.

Old
07-26-2011, 05:08 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:

Not sure. I don't bet on sports myself but I honestly would give an edge to the Pirates rotation. Arizona definitely has the better bats though.

Old
07-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

Quote:
wrong, your pitching is WAY overachieving... Trust me, you're not sticking with the Cards or Brewers... And talk about injuries, the Cards have had and still have much more significant injuries than the Pirates
Really?

You seem like an expert. I can tell that your opinion is based on plenty of viewings of the Pirates.

The Pirates are soon to get Tabata and Presley back. The lineup will be ridiculous when this happens. We also have no options for the 8th inning with Evan Meek on the DL and he's expected back soon as well. Your prediction of us not being able to hang with St. Louis and Milwaukee is hilarious when we're already ahead of both and can expect superior improvements to the roster in the next week as well.

Old
07-26-2011, 05:20 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Atlanta I see as a wash in pitching.
No way. Hanson-Jurrjens-Hudson-Lowe-Beachy is one of the best rotations in the league. Only the Phillies and Giants for sure have better rotations. Braves also have one of the best bullpens in the league and could make it even better by the trade deadline/September with a trade addition or calling up Vizcaino and/or Teheran (or getting a healthy Moylan/Medlen back). But you are right that if the Pirates do make the playoffs, they have just as good of a chance at winning as anyone else (see Colorado Rockies). Baseball playoffs are a crapshoot and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves get swept in the NLDS because of our pathetic hitting.

Old
07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton the Great View Post
Really?

You seem like an expert. I can tell that your opinion is based on plenty of viewings of the Pirates.

The Pirates are soon to get Tabata and Presley back. The lineup will be ridiculous when this happens. We also have no options for the 8th inning with Evan Meek on the DL and he's expected back soon as well. Your prediction of us not being able to hang with St. Louis and Milwaukee is hilarious when we're already ahead of both and can expect superior improvements to the roster in the next week as well.
I wouldn't count out the Pirates shoring up the 3rd base position either.

Old
07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

Quote:
I wouldn't count out the Pirates shoring up the 3rd base position either.
Have to keep in mind that we're still technically a rebuilding team. I don't see us making a move that would stunt a player like Alvarez's development. I also think he's an adequate 3rd baseman as is. But we'll see.

Old
07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Tony Gilliam is the new UNC PA announcer. He's also the pre-lockout Canes PA announcer. Surprised it took him this long to find work. From what I remember, he was pretty decent. An unfortunate lockout casualty.

Old
07-26-2011, 07:26 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Was he the guy that dragged out everyones name when a Cane scored? Since we've had Doyle for so long I barely remember anyone else behind the mic.

Old
07-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Guy

vCash: 0
It would be pretty fantastic if we could have somebody other than Doyle immediately.

Old
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Disagree... Cards are better than the Dback and probably as good as the Giants... The ONLY team that is significantly better than the Cards is the Phillies... I do think the braves are better too... But the Cards have the best 3-4-5 in baseball right now and Garcia, Carp, and Lohse aren't horrible... Having Waino this year would make a HUGE difference... There is talk he could be in our pen in Sept..

Closed Thread