HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge Part III

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

vCash: 500
How did I miss that hilarious thread?

*shoots self*

edit: That one guy got really mad

Old
08-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Carolinas Identity
#ducksbadnwagon :)

vCash: 50
NFL is already going, Hockey starts in a month. What do you do when you like both? You order this =)

Old
08-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

So I didn't watch last night's Panthers game, but judging from the article in today's paper, Panther fans are really starting to remind me of Montreal fans. Except instead of Price, it's Clausen. Preseason game #1 and they start booing the player 2 minutes into the game.

Apparently ignoring that he had a better game than the player they chanted for, Newton.

Old
08-14-2011, 01:00 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Except he didn't. He threw a pick 6 on the fourth play of the game and was equally as bad as last year for the first two drives. Yes he settled down and played better, but it was still nothing that special. On the TD pass, Olsen had to reach behind him to get the ball. Cam made some nice strikes, though he did sail the ball a bit. He also played behind the 2nd team O-line the majority of the game. That is a HUGE step down when talking about the Panthers. He was better easily.

That's also not even mentioning that Newton is a rookie coming out of a lockout while Clausen is a second year player making the same mistakes he made in year one.

Old
08-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Also, Jimmy Clausen has the most punchable face I've ever seen in my life.

08-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Did you watch the game? The O-Line Newton played behind was one of the worst things I've ever seen. He had to throw it away a lot. He looked a bit jumpy, but he made some beautiful throws as well.

Old
08-14-2011, 02:27 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Also, Jimmy Clausen has the most punchable face I've ever seen in my life.
I just had to google him to see what kind of face that is and I must agree.

Old
08-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton the Great View Post
Did you watch the game? The O-Line Newton played behind was one of the worst things I've ever seen. He had to throw it away a lot. He looked a bit jumpy, but he made some beautiful throws as well.
I'm pretty sure I touched on that first thing in my original post.

And regarding the pick 6, the way the article describes it, that amazing O-line that Clausen played behind failed and that's what caused the inaccurate pass.

I'd go with the player that actually scored a touchdown instead of the player that went 8 for 19. And it's funny that the rookie excuse is already being applied to Newton, when Clausen had no such benefit.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:35 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
I'm pretty sure I touched on that first thing in my original post.

And regarding the pick 6, the way the article describes it, that amazing O-line that Clausen played behind failed and that's what caused the inaccurate pass.

I'd go with the player that actually scored a touchdown instead of the player that went 8 for 19. And it's funny that the rookie excuse is already being applied to Newton, when Clausen had no such benefit.
So why argue with people who actually watched the game instead of coming in here with a holier than thou attitude relying on articles and stats? Its painfully tiring and sounds oh so much like several Cam Ward threads, to continue your NHL analogy.

Clausen made the decision to throw that ball, not the o-line. I do not recall specifically the pressure he was under, but making that type of throw is exactly the rookie mistakes I was talking about. Scramble, throw it away or take the sack. Do not throw it in the general vicinity of a receiver who's running a different route.

Ignoring the rest of your post, I'm just going to reiterate a point I've made many, many times on the Football subforum: Jimmy Clausen is an absolutey atrocious QB. His negatives far outweigh his positives. He panics in he pocket, he has the world's weakest arm, he's not a accurate as he should be to compensate for his poor arm strength, he holds on to the ball in the pocket entirely too long, and when he finally does get rid of it he makes some very poor decisions. He lacks any sorft of confidence or swagger, and as mentioned he looks like a complete tool. The only reason he got drafted as high as he did is because his agent is BFFs with Mel Kiper and Kiper pimped him out hard all spring. Every other NFL team knew this and some passed multiple times even with more dire QB situations then Carolina. You think he's Carey Price and I think he'd be lucky to be Justin Pogge at this point. Could he finally put it together and find a niche? Sure he could. Players like Jake Delhomme and David Garrard etc. have proven that. It won't be with the Carolina Panthers though.

Old
08-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Yea at this point I want Scam Newton to start.

Old
08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

I just find the double standard funny.

Clausen's rookie year: He's awful, he'll never amount to anything, get rid of him!
Newton's rookie year: He's a rookie, he's going to make rookie mistakes.

Clausen throws a bad pass because of defensive pressure: Why make that decision? Booo!
Newton throws a bad pass because of defensive pressure: His O-line is terrible! It's not his fault!

As for Clausen himself, it's quite obvious that he's become a scapegoat based off last season. Even if he wins the starting job this season (based off a decision from someone with more football knowledge than most of the fanbase combined), there will still be boos and cries for Newton.

I'm not saying he's Price in anyway except being prematurely jumped on by the fanbase of the team he plays for. And yes, it's premature, because basing anything off the play from the Panther's team last year is just foolish.

Old
08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

I did not watch the game last night. I'm just glad the Panthers won last night even though it's just pre-season. It gives me hope the team is going in the right direction.

Old
08-14-2011, 07:15 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:

Clausen's rookie year: He's awful, he'll never amount to anything, get rid of him!

Clausen throws a bad pass because of defensive pressure: Why make that decision? Booo!
Newton throws a bad pass because of defensive pressure: His O-line is terrible! It's not his fault!

As for Clausen himself, it's quite obvious that he's become a scapegoat based off last season. Even if he wins the starting job this season (based off a decision from someone with more football knowledge than most of the fanbase combined), there will still be boos and cries for Newton.

I'm not saying he's Price in anyway except being prematurely jumped on by the fanbase of the team he plays for. And yes, it's premature, because basing anything off the play from the Panther's team last year is just foolish.
There is no double standard. Clausen looked awful and was awful last year. Newton showed a lot of promise in the limited time he has had his opportunity. He didn't make the kind of real damaging mistakes that Clausen makes on a regular basis. That alone is a huge difference. Clausen has never shown the kind of poise, the accuracy, decision making and arm strength that Newton showed in 2 quarters last night.

Clausen is no scapegoat for last season. He WAS the reason that they won only 2 games last year. With adequate QB play the Panthers probably win 6-7 games. He was god awful, and any attempts to argue otherwise are futile. I don't know if I can name one single thing he did right last season.

Clausen's potential is incredibly low. Every other team saw that. Cam Newton, though I don't think he'll reach it, has incredible potential. Why wouldn't we want to see Cam Newton, the #1 overall pick, when we've lived through a year of crappy QB play under Clausen. The first 2 series showed no improvement whatsoever. Ever cheer for Newton was incredibly justified.

Do me a favor before I respond to another post: obtain a copy of the first 3 quarters of the game when both players played, watch it objectively and then try tell me that Newton didn't outplay Clausen. I'm not the only one that thinks so:

Quote:
@ClaytonESPN
John Clayton
Cam Newton played well enough against the Giants and has done well enough in practice that his chances of starting Week 1 are good.
Does he have enough football knowledge to match your criteria?

Old
08-14-2011, 09:09 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:20 AM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Anton View Post
Clausen is no scapegoat for last season. He WAS the reason that they won only 2 games last year. With adequate QB play the Panthers probably win 6-7 games. He was god awful, and any attempts to argue otherwise are futile. I don't know if I can name one single thing he did right last season.
No, there were many problems with last year's team. The first (and most obvious of which) was the lame duck coach. If there's any one single person to blame for last season, it's Fox. But of course, when the team goes 2-14, it's hardly one single person's fault. Claiming otherwise is simply looking for a scapegoat. Which proves my point, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Anton View Post
Does he have enough football knowledge to match your criteria?
The intention was never about Clausen v. Newton and who should start, etc. One was drafted 1st overall and the other was drafted later for a reason. Obviously, Newton's the better player.

The intention was the criticism of Clausen v. the praising of Newton. Both are young QBs that need time to develop. They're both bound to make those mistakes that young QBs tend to make. They're going to overthrow passes, they're going to hold onto the ball too long, they're going to get nervous in the red zone.

The difference is the response to those mistakes. Newton gets the "rookie" excuse, while Clausen's apparently suppose to act like a 20-year vet in his second year of play (or first, since the same vitriol was spewed at him last year).

And the last game was the perfect example. Do me a favor and rewatch the highlights of the game. Look at the INT that Clausen threw. Look at his O-line during that play. They're literally tripping over each other while the Giants D-line jumps over their fallen bodies. And you're going to tell me he wasn't under pressure? That this was the starting O-line that was so amazing compared to Newton's?

And that's what Clausen was known for last night. Not his TD pass. Not his other 15+ yard pass completions. And you're going to tell me if the situations were reversed, the response to each QB wouldn't be different? If Newton threw an INT and a TD, and Clausen went 8-for-19 behind the 2nd O-line and failed to covert passes in the red zone, what do you think the focus on each of the QBs would be? I'd bet it'd be on Newton's TD and Clausen's inaccuracy and inability to finish,

Old
08-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Anyone that thinks the Panthers would have won 6-7 with adequate QB play is smoking good stuff... The Panthers were the worst team in football and it wasn't even close and the owner wanted it that way... If they had Drew Brees, they still only win 4-5 games max last year

Old
08-15-2011, 06:40 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The people in BoA aren't exactly a top-5 NFL fanbase to begin with. One of the most wine-and-cheese buildings in the league. Expecting savvy analysis from that crowd is going to leave you frustrated every time.

Old
08-15-2011, 07:08 AM
TheBigKahuna

Jimmy Clausen = Justin Peters?

Old
08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Let's just agree to disagree. I have no desire to further discuss the ability (or lack thereof) of Jimmy Clausen. From what I've seen and from what many scouts, analysts and coaches have seen, he's an awful QB at present. Until he manages to prove otherwise Id rather even Derek Anderson start the season instead of him.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Just had to put down my 14 year old cat unexpectedly.. Sad day for me... It's been a long time since I had to put an animal down... I know some people don't consider pets family and some REALLY don't consider cats as family... But that cat has been around for nearly all my post college life... I will definitely miss her... RIP Mocha

Nothing more to see here, just wanted to type it out though

Old
08-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Carolinas Identity

Jimmy Clausen reminds me a bit of Matt Leinart. Huge potential, that as yet has been either untapped or nonexistant. The transition from NCAA to NFL is a big one that very few QB's can leap at I think. Look at Leinart as the prime example. Winning a BCS title and Heisman at one of the most prestigious schools in the country, to living in Kurt Warner's shadow and having to deal with Ken Wisenhunt apparently hating left handed people (only reason I can think of) to backing up some random guy in Houston who forgets to bring his helmet to games.

All I'm saying is all the hate on Clausen might be right, and he has a cocky smug attitude a lot of people don't like but at the same time you gotta give him more than one season on an abysmal Panthers team to really judge him. Love him or hate him I would assume the Panthers saw something they liked in him, or they would've kept Delhomme. Andrew Luck is going to probably be a Bengal this time next year, and I doubt he'll turn that franchise around in a single season either.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Carolinas Identity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Just had to put down my 14 year old cat unexpectedly.. Sad day for me... It's been a long time since I had to put an animal down... I know some people don't consider pets family and some REALLY don't consider cats as family... But that cat has been around for nearly all my post college life... I will definitely miss her... RIP Mocha

Nothing more to see here, just wanted to type it out though
I feel for you man. I remmeber how rough it was when I had to put down my 16 yo cat a few years back =(

Old
08-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Quote:
@MikeSundheim Mike Sundheim
For the guide, @brenter37 cited the Bengals as a favorite sports team. Poor fella. (He played in Cincy his first year pro)
Go Bengals

Though it has to suck to cheer for the Bengals and play for the Leafs. All he needs is to follow the Pirates and he'll have the trifecta

EDIT: In other Twitter news, Commodore accidently posted his phone number on Twitter. Anyone wanna bet how long before he needs to get a new phone?

Last edited by Blueline Bomber: 08-15-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old
08-16-2011, 03:46 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Go Bengals

Though it has to suck to cheer for the Bengals and play for the Leafs. All he needs is to follow the Pirates and he'll have the trifecta
Actually....if he was a Cubs fan it would be even worse. Trust me, I know. Of all the professional and college teams I've followed since childhood, I have been blessed to be able to have them all win a championship in my adult life with the exception of the Cubs (even the Canes who I've only been a fan of since I moved here).

I was hoping the Cubs would put it together before my father passes away as he is a die-hard Cubs fan. But I don't see that happening without something drastic happening.

Old
08-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Actually....if he was a Cubs fan it would be even worse. Trust me, I know. Of all the professional and college teams I've followed since childhood, I have been blessed to be able to have them all win a championship in my adult life with the exception of the Cubs (even the Canes who I've only been a fan of since I moved here).

I was hoping the Cubs would put it together before my father passes away as he is a die-hard Cubs fan. But I don't see that happening without something drastic happening.
Like the Braves basically batting Zambrano into retirement?

Closed Thread