HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes Board Lounge Part III

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I understand trash-talk between the schools. But sometimes it's kind of embarrassing to watch.
+1

College rivalries are great fun...when you're in college. After that, there's got to be a time to realize "Hey, maybe I've outgrown this".

Old
08-17-2011, 10:33 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
+1

College rivalries are great fun...when you're in college. After that, there's got to be a time to realize "Hey, maybe I've outgrown this".
He can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's what he meant at all. Its no different than fans of pro sports teams trash talking each other.

School pride does not die with graduation.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
+1

Um no... I hate UNC more today than I did in college

Old
08-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Anton View Post
Hm, I'm not sure when I ever became a UNC football fan. I just can't stand all you self-righteous State fans who revel in this when your school is likely equally as dirty. They just haven't been caught yet (I know, I know, police reports or it didn't happen, right?). It's like you have zero pride in your school and only really speak up when UNC or Duke slips.
Bull ****ing **** on all counts. I know exactly why I hate UNC. I can't believe any UNC fan could call NC state fans self-righteous. UNC and their fans are that exact definition. THE CAROLINA WAY, my ass! 2nd dirtiest program in the ACC and they don't win ****.

I guess the old saying rings true, Cheaters never win. God did Butch and UNC prove that. BTW when your argument reverts to 'well others are doing it' then you know you've lost all the foundation to defend yourself.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton H Christ View Post
Hahaha, every time I go see a Canes game I laugh at the NC State football stadium. My high school stadium was bigger than that. Seriously how does an entire university play there?
Your high school sat more than 59,000 fans? Please shut up.

NC State actually has a great facility. You obviously have never stepped into Vaugh Towers or the Murphy Center

Old
08-17-2011, 10:50 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Bull ****ing **** on all counts. I know exactly why I hate UNC. I can't believe any UNC fan could call NC state fans self-righteous. UNC and their fans are that exact definition. THE CAROLINA WAY, my ass! 2nd dirtiest program in the ACC and they don't win ****.

I guess the old saying rings true, Cheaters never win. God did Butch and UNC prove that. BTW when your argument reverts to 'well others are doing it' then you know you've lost all the foundation to defend yourself.
This post deserves such a giant for so many reasons but unfortunately I'm browsing from my phone so that will have to do.

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Anton View Post
He can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's what he meant at all. Its no different than fans of pro sports teams trash talking each other.

School pride does not die with graduation.
There's pride in your school, and then there's trashing rival schools. If ECU's football team has a good year this year, I'll be proud of that team for any success they may have. And if they play State this year (and I'm not sure that they do), then I'll hope that they come out victorious and may partake in some friendly (or not so) pre-game banter beforehand.

Outside of that instance, however, I couldn't give two ****s about State. If State's QB gets busted in a drug sting, I'll say "Sucks for him" and move on. Seems a little weird to take pleasure in something like that.

But maybe that's just me.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

See. UNC fans prove how much their head is in the sand with every post. Caught red handed, their only defense is 'if you don't think state's doing it you're crazy'

I love watching the self-righteous 'Carolina Way' crumble at it's foundation. BTW, the biggest bomb has yet to fall. It will be fun to watch that one.

BTW, if you think State fans enjoy watching UNC crumble more than we like State, your crazy and just grasping at straws. I'm at C-F every Saturday and wouldn't miss it. Once the pig skin flies, I couldn't care less about UNC. But they have provided so much entertainment this off season.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
There's pride in your school, and then there's trashing rival schools. If ECU's football team has a good year this year, I'll be proud of that team for any success they may have. And if they play State this year (and I'm not sure that they do), then I'll hope that they come out victorious and may partake in some friendly (or not so) pre-game banter beforehand.

Outside of that instance, however, I couldn't give two ****s about State. If State's QB gets busted in a drug sting, I'll say "Sucks for him" and move on. Seems a little weird to take pleasure in something like that.

I am that way with all schools except UNC. ECU doesn't act like they do things better than others. As much as I despise ECU on game day when we play. I don't get into much more about them.

Once the season starts, there won't be as much UNC talk from me. Just bored with no football and hockey. I do thank UNC for an fun off season though

Old
08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Btw, ECU pushed the return to C-F back to 2012. That's why state had to add Liberty to our schedule so late.

I'm just ready for football. Hope no one gets to personally offended on here. We are all Canes fans.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:05 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:

Well that's different, and part of the point HA continues to miss. But the reason I don't laugh at Miami for their infractions is because every school has them, granted to different degrees. Even my own school is guilty. Believing that any major college football program is clean is having your head in the sand. If it came out tomorrow that Phillip Rivers was paid to play there then it wouldn't really affect me much.

BTW HA, you might want to do some research before you post. I am not a UNC football fan and I'm not defending them. I'm simply stating a widely accepted belief that anyone with half a brain shares.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
When it comes down to it, it really is just State fans grasping for attention. With UNC and Duke having the rivalry they have, State feels left out and desperately wants to get in to that trash talk... In a "rivalry" with a school who pays most of their attention to basketball, they talk trash about the one sport that their OK at, in which even without most of UNC's best players they only finished a game ahead of the Heels...

It's sad, I always cheer for State when they're not playing UNC, but SVT's actions on these boards consistently make me like them less and less and drive me away as a casual fan...

Old
08-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

0-4. UNC might want to win in the present day to create a rivalry, dont you think?

Also, Duke is insignificant in football, so why are we even talking about them in Aug?

The last thing I care about is getting attention btw, We are currently the best program in the state. While that's not much, it's a nice secondary reward.

BTW, I wouldn't enjoy their fall if I didn't have to constantly hear UNC fans talk about states transgressions from 20-30 years ago. They consistently act like they do it right and state does it by cheating.

I have nothing bad to wish for with Miami or OSU. Neither of those programs act like they win with a special clean formula. The hypocrisy of the Carolina Way has been exposed. THATS why it's something I talk about. No more, no less.

No need to take things personal either, hate state or don't, it has no effect on me. But there is no need for animosity between Canes fans.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Calling NC State the best program in North Carolina is a little presumptuous, yeah? Especially when ECU's been head-to-head with them the past couple years...and has the bowl games and championships to back it up.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Conference USA championships don't mean a thing. ECU is the second best program in my opinion. They did beat state, huge congrats, but they need a respectable defense to be the best. I do like the direction of ECU's program though. Their new coach looks to be a keeper.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:26 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

A certain team out West has a few national championships and went toe to toe with said ECU team. Just saying...

And SVT no one is taking anything personally. I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Great. You certainly have to play FBS to be the best. I remember one of their national championship teams got destroyed by a 3-9 Wolfpack team the same year. ASU is amazing at their level, but couldn't compete in the ACC right now

Old
08-17-2011, 12:35 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Best program and best team are two different stories. And AE didn't start either game vs. State (13 pts is no a blowout) or ECU. Huge difference.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
0-4. UNC might want to win in the present day to create a rivalry, dont you think?
Agreed. It's great that you've finally come around, last year when I was trying to convince you that it wasn't a rivalry you took it super personally and cursed me out... Not sure what changed your mind, but it's certainly welcome.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Double Post...

Old
08-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Conference USA championships don't mean a thing. ECU is the second best program in my opinion. They did beat state, huge congrats, but they need a respectable defense to be the best. I do like the direction of ECU's program though. Their new coach looks to be a keeper.
Conference USA isn't too far from the ACC. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Especially when the C-USA champs beat the ACC champs in the regular season.

And in terms of defense, last year, it was bad. To be expected when your entire defensive lineup graduates. The years previous (09/08/07), it was stellar. They have to be when the schedule includes ridiculously offensive teams like Tulsa and Houston.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Conference USA isn't too far from the ACC. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Especially when the C-USA champs beat the ACC champs in the regular season.

And in terms of defense, last year, it was bad. To be expected when your entire defensive lineup graduates. The years previous (09/08/07), it was stellar. They have to be when the schedule includes ridiculously offensive teams like Tulsa and Houston.
ACC is low end for BCS, but it is heads and shoulders above CUSA.

Btw, I think it's a rivalry, I was just responding to an above post.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Btw, I think it's a rivalry, I was just responding to an above post.
And you display that opinion by saying it's not?

Old
08-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
ACC is low end for BCS, but it is heads and shoulders above CUSA.
It's really not...

At one time, it was nowhere close. Now? ACC's gotten a lot worse and CUSA's gotten a lot better. It's closer than you seem to believe.

Old
08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Anton B, there is maybe 1-2 teams a year in CUSA that would finish 4-4 or better in the ACC. The middle teams in CUSA have no shot to compete week in and week out with NCSU, Clemson, Miami, GT, MD, UNC, etc.

On certain years, the CUSA champs could compete very well, but from top to bottom they don't have a chance. Duke would win 4-6 games a year in CUSA in my opinion.

Closed Thread