HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge Part III

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

vCash: 500
As a Be a GM enthusiast myself, I'm definitely looking forward to the new sim engine... That, retired jerseys, and the improved trading and free agent signing engines are really getting me excited for the mode this year...

Old
08-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Didn't know about that stuff; Be a GM is what I play exclusively, so that's great news.

08-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Didn't know about that stuff; Be a GM is what I play exclusively, so that's great news.

Entirely new, improved sim engine: http://www.ea.com/nhl/blog/nhl-12-sim-engine-blog

Other Be a GM improvements: http://www.ea.com/nhl/blog/be-a-gm-improvments

Surprisingly interesting reads...

Old
08-24-2011, 10:39 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I play a ton of BAGM and BAP, so the upgrades have me practically salivating. The number retirements are a very welcome bit of realism. More injuries, more realistic trades, better rookies, are all good things.

On BAP the option to skip to the next shift is ingenious... I try to keep my shifts at a realistic length, but at the same time I still end up with 30-40 minutes per game because the clock is moving so fast. I like the idea that the coach actually reduces or increases your minutes based on your play. It sounds like both of my favorite modes are going to be a lot more fun this year.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I'm still having trouble getting behind NHL 12. It looks alright, but not for the price they're asking for. Most of the improvements are minor at best, and their new Legends mode is outright ridiculous.

Promoting a feature that can be done in NHL 11 with ten minutes of "Create-A-Skater" isn't good business strategy.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Promoting a feature that can be done in NHL 11 with ten minutes of "Create-A-Skater" isn't good business strategy.
Sure it is, you sell lots of new games to suckers like us with minimal investment of time and effort

Old
08-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

True, but I wouldn't make it a main selling point. Especially when it appears the "legends" are rated quite averagely. Roenick being rated a 90 with Yzerman rated an 87? Bourque an 86? Gretzky a 90?

Old
08-24-2011, 02:33 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Eesh, those are some pretty ridiculously low ratings. How could Gretzky be a 90?

Old
08-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

His strength and checking and what not are probably really low which would drag down his overall rating, I guess.

Old
08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/08/...-starting.html

Quote:
Through two preseason games, Newton has been solid but unspectacular. He has completed 15 of 33 passes for 200 yards and has run the ball four times for 18 yards.
Newton: 15/33, 200 yards, 16.5 attempts per game, 6.1 yards per reception, 0 TD, 0 INT
Clausen: 13/22, 138 yards, 11 attempts per game, 10.6 yards per reception, 1 TD, 1 INT

If Newton's "solid but unspectacular", what does that make Clausen, who's statistically had a better pre-season than him?

Newton's all but been declared the starter, and he's going to be getting 3 quarters against the Bengals. It's kind of sad that a #1 overall pick hasn't thrown a TD in two preseason games. Even more sad that he hasn't converted a 3rd down in that same time span.

I understand the hype behind Newton, that he's going to be the starter regardless of how well he actually plays in the pre-season, if only because the only other option had a poor rookie season himself. But I do have to question what the long-term plan for the Panthers is. Especially if Newton has another poor showing against Cincy.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:41 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Newton is starting because he gives the team the best chance to win, plain and simple. He has the most potential and the team has the most invested in him. They gain almost nothing by starting Clausen. He was a lost cause before he was drafted.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

That's funny, because I've never considered a QB that can't find his receivers as someone who could help his team win.

You want plain and simple? He's getting outplayed by Clausen, plain and simple. I understand you've got a little chubby for Newton, especially being an Auburn fan (if that is indeed you, if not, I apologize), but the facts are facts.

Clausen's had a better preseason than Newton, and while Newton has more potential, if Newton doesn't improve in this next game, it'd be foolish not to start the better QB to that point.

Old
08-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Quote:
That's funny, because I've never considered a QB that can't find his receivers as someone who could help his team win.

You want plain and simple? He's getting outplayed by Clausen, plain and simple. I understand you've got a little chubby for Newton, especially being an Auburn fan (if that is indeed you, if not, I apologize), but the facts are facts.

Clausen's had a better preseason than Newton, and while Newton has more potential, if Newton doesn't improve in this next game, it'd be foolish not to start the better QB to that point.
I'm the Auburn fan. A team doesn't win a national championship with a quarterback that "can't find his receivers". And Cam did just a bit more than "help Auburn win".

You are right, facts are facts. Let's take a look at the facts:

-Newton led the entire NCAA in passing efficiency

-Newton averaged 10.2 yards per passing attempt, Andrew Luck averaged 8.8

-Newton averaged 9.3 attempts per touchdown, while Luck averaged 11.63.

So not only did Newton give you more yards than Luck did on a given throw, but he also took fewer attempts to pass for a touchdown than "the next Peyton Manning" did. He also did this while rushing for 20 touchdowns... then the 1,473 yards he amassed on the ground. And all this against a tougher schedule, and against far superior defenses.

Newton also overcame a ****storm of allegations, put all that aside and led his team to huge comebacks on more than one occasion AND a national title.

But, for whatever reason, his "attitude" is "immature" and "cocky". ********. He's a confident, talented quarterback who knows how to overcome his doubters and lead his team. That is proven and factual.

The notion that the Panthers should even consider starting Jimmy Clausen over him is absolutely ludicrous.

Last edited by Stephen Goalbert: 08-24-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old
08-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

And what does his NCAA stats have to do with how he's playing now? About the only thing that's useful for is determining how he might pan out, and I already said he had more potential than Clausen.

He's had a poor preseason. It'll probably improve next game, because they're facing the Bengals and because he'll have Smith back (and Smith makes any QB look good. He was Delhomme's panic button, he'll probably be Newton's). If he doesn't, it's not out of the question to start Clausen, see how he pans out early in the season, give Newton a little more time to get adjusted to the NFL, then start Newton when Clausen inevitably falters.

Old
08-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Can't believe that the NFL actually fined Mason Foster $20,000 for that hit on Ochocinco.

Let's see, completely legal hit, first time offender and a rookie who probably doesn't even have the money. Let's fine him 20 grand!

Quote:
ochocinco Chad Ochocinco
@nflcommish Dad no disrespect but I don't agree with @mason_foster fine n I'll be reimbursing him personally.Please feel free to contact me
7 hours ago
Even Chad thinks it's bull. Even Suh's fine for his hit on Dalton was complete BS. Flag football anyone?

Old
08-25-2011, 05:04 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:

Ill go with 5Staal on this one: you really have no idea what you're talking about. Greg Olsen is the best receiver on this team when Smith isn't playing, and I have no problems with him catching passes if Lafell can't run his routes properly to get separation. I hated the Newton pick, but its not hard to see he's played better than Clausen this preseason, if only by a little. You seem stuck on numbers. Try flipping a game on for once.

And you pimping Clausen as a starter and tearing down Newton any chance you get makes me wonder if you're the one with the chubby.

Old
08-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Auburn certainly has figured out how to pay players better than UNC, USC, and Miami... They should get a second national championship for that

Old
08-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

I wish the cp would take more shots in the nhl games. Ward's save percentage is some how worse than in real life.

BTW: The only player on my team with a minus rating is Larose, and it's completely unintentional.

Old
08-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Auburn certainly has figured out how to pay players better than UNC, USC, and Miami... They should get a second national championship for that
The FBI disagrees.

Old
08-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton the Great View Post
You are right, facts are facts. Let's take a look at the facts:

-Newton led the entire NCAA in passing efficiency

-Newton averaged 10.2 yards per passing attempt, Andrew Luck averaged 8.8

-Newton averaged 9.3 attempts per touchdown, while Luck averaged 11.63.

So not only did Newton give you more yards than Luck did on a given throw, but he also took fewer attempts to pass for a touchdown than "the next Peyton Manning" did. He also did this while rushing for 20 touchdowns... then the 1,473 yards he amassed on the ground. And all this against a tougher schedule, and against far superior defenses.
Yep, and guys like Ryan Leaf and Tim Tebow have college stats that are superior to Aaron Roger's and Tom Brady's college stats.

EDIT: I'm not saying Newton will or won't be an effective NFL quarterback, just that using college stats is not an indicator of NFL success (especially for quarterbacks).

Old
08-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Tebow on the trading block.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:52 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Yep, and guys like Ryan Leaf and Tim Tebow have college stats that are superior to Aaron Roger's and Tom Brady's college stats.
Let us not forget the generational talent that was Chris Weinke.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Wasted Talent

vCash: 126
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/nhl/jussi-...409740471.html

In a Finnish magazine interview Jussi Jokinen was asked about his shootout tricks. "Well I have learned one new trick and I've been trying to perfect it but I won't reveal too much since NHL is full of Finnish goalies so I don't want to give any hints yet."

So now he has actually learned something other than his Forsberg-style shootout move. About time?

Old
08-25-2011, 03:05 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I thought he once claimed that he had over 500 moves? Or was that someone else? Either way I don't even see how that's possible.

Old
08-25-2011, 06:46 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbm...CLID=205249091

Apparently Michigan wants to lose to App again.

Closed Thread