HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge Part III

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Oogie Boogie

vCash: 500
Oh.
And FFS

Beason injured

Old
09-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavex View Post
What, I'm not allowed to poke fun? In all seriousness, he had a great game. And the two TEs the Panthers picked up are going to do wonders for the team. Now if only he played that way in the preseason...

In other, more important news, the Bengals are undefeated.

Old
09-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Oogie Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
What, I'm not allowed to poke fun? In all seriousness, he had a great game. And the two TEs the Panthers picked up are going to do wonders for the team. Now if only he played that way in the preseason...

In other, more important news, the Bengals are undefeated.
Nah, you're allowed!

Old
09-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Oh, I could have done a lot worse.

"What a jerk Newton is. He scores his first NFL touchdown (with the same play that failed only seconds earlier. Great planning ), then immediately follows that by taking unsportsmanlike penalty. His ego knows no bounds, and it hurt the team today"

Old
09-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Contagion was a good movie. A little long, but it captured the real life response of society if such a worldwide pandemic would occur. Plus, the cast is ridiculous. How they got so many big name actors to play such relatively small parts, I'll never know.

Old
09-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Contagion was a good movie. A little long, but it captured the real life response of society if such a worldwide pandemic would occur. Plus, the cast is ridiculous. How they got so many big name actors to play such relatively small parts, I'll never know.
Thank God that kind of thing will probably never happen in real life.

Old
09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

It wouldn't take much. Panic over H1N1 in 2009 caused a bit of a worldwide scare, as well as the bird flu, and it's not like there haven't been pandemics in the past.

A new strain of an existing virus, or a brand new virus all together, one that has a high mortality rate, it'll cause a panic. Especially given all the rules and regulations that need to be passed before any sort of anti-virus can be given out to society. Months of testing and going through the red tape, while more and more people get sick and die.

And with the existence of the Internet, that fear and panic can spread that much faster.

Old
09-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
It wouldn't take much. Panic over H1N1 in 2009 caused a bit of a worldwide scare, as well as the bird flu, and it's not like there haven't been pandemics in the past.

A new strain of an existing virus, or a brand new virus all together, one that has a high mortality rate, it'll cause a panic. Especially given all the rules and regulations that need to be passed before any sort of anti-virus can be given out to society. Months of testing and going through the red tape, while more and more people get sick and die.

And with the existence of the Internet, that fear and panic can spread that much faster.
These are all good points, but there is one thing to remember.

The window for an incubation (the time between contraction and symptoms and then death or getting over it) "super virus" to actually become a global pandemic is very narrow. On the one hand, if it kills too fast (1-3 days after contraction), then it will flare up and just fizzle out fast. See Ebola, which has no cure, no vaccine and an 85-90% mortality rate.

On the other hand, if it is too slow to kill, then it will be recognized and eliminated before it has time to spread. Diseases like AIDS are fearful at first because they are so damn slow, but once people know what to look out for it is not that difficult to prevent.

Basically, a number of factors would have to come together, including the perfect disease, global politics, climate, etc. It could happen, but everything would have to be just right (see: Bubonic Plague, Influenza of 1919).

Having said that, we are overdue, and I personally think TB is going to hit us hard in the next 30-50 years.

Old
09-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

In other news, President Obama is coming to NC State Wednesday.

And I get to play for him. YEAAAA

Old
09-12-2011, 06:06 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 2nd Pick View Post
In other news, President Obama is coming to NC State Wednesday.

And I get to play for him. YEAAAA
Nice. Not an Obama fan but any time you get to play for a high ranking dignitary like that is worth it.

Old
09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 2nd Pick View Post
The window for an incubation (the time between contraction and symptoms and then death or getting over it) "super virus" to actually become a global pandemic is very narrow. On the one hand, if it kills too fast (1-3 days after contraction), then it will flare up and just fizzle out fast. See Ebola, which has no cure, no vaccine and an 85-90% mortality rate.
Ebola was actually the virus I was thinking about when I wrote that. It already spreads through bodily fluids and it's already got all the nastiness you listed. A mutation that affects its R-knot (that is, the amount of healthy people infected that come into contact with an infected individual) could easily cause that pandemic.

Though it would depend on who "patient zero" is and probably more important, where. I do agree that we're probably due for one sooner than later. Especially with all the talk about antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Old
09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Ebola was actually the virus I was thinking about when I wrote that. It already spreads through bodily fluids and it's already got all the nastiness you listed. A mutation that affects its R-knot (that is, the amount of healthy people infected that come into contact with an infected individual) could easily cause that pandemic.

Though it would depend on who "patient zero" is and probably more important, where. I do agree that we're probably due for one sooner than later. Especially with all the talk about antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
This is true. If Ebola suddenly had a mutation where the person had no symptoms for 3-5 days, but was contagious then we would probably be screwed.

It is just that there is a reason why we all have not died from Ebola yet.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

I'm surprised the cholera in Haiti didn't go anywhere else.

Old
09-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

So, given the lack of defense and high yard numbers in the Packers/Saints game, and the lack of defense and high yard numbers in the Patriots/Miami game, I can safely say with 100% certainty that Newton's numbers yesterday (while seeming impressive at the time) are going to be the league average this year.

Similar to the NHL, everyone in the NFL will post career numbers the year after the lockout.

/semi-

Old
09-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Oogie Boogie

Beason is out for the year

Old
09-13-2011, 01:38 AM
TITAN126
u got a big dome, eh

Sorry to hear about Beason guys. Tough loss, he's a stud.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Possible spoilers:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/...eful-when.html

Quote:
I asked State Health Director Dr. Jeffrey Engel and the others to rate the plausibility of such a deadly pandemic - 2.5 million people died from it in the movie - actually occurring. I swear, I asked only because I expected they'd pooh-pooh my fears and call the movie a bunch of Hollywood hokum with no basis in reality.

Engel said the opposite, calling the way the new virus emerged in the movie "very real. ... This is very similar to SARS, actually. ... The only difference is, SARS just kind of burned itself out. We were lucky."

We were also lucky, Casani said, with the H1N1 virus a few years ago. "I think we dodged a bullet" with that virus, she said. "Unfortunately, people did die from it, but we didn't have the high mortality" that could've resulted.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
is it a remake//re hash of that movie with the monkey? (I think that one was also called Contagion?)

Old
09-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Guy

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneInCalgary View Post
is it a remake//re hash of that movie with the monkey? (I think that one was also called Contagion?)
That was Outbreak.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:29 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
That was Outbreak.
No, that was Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Guy

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
No, that was Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
As it stands right now the Big East is far more stable then the Big 12... and we don't even have a long term tv deal in place yet.
So much for that, unfortunately.

I'm still stunned that Pitt's going to be in the ACC. Unlike most of the reactions you'll hear from Pitt fans, I'm disappointed. I actively root against Miami, BC and Virginia Tech to this day for leaving the conference in chaos back in 2003. Now, we're the ones that are putting the conference into disarray.

I <3 the Big East and I'm really going to miss it. No more Big East basketball, the BE Tourney in the Garden and the late November/early December Backyard Brawl meaning something. I guess I'm glad that Pitt is in a stable conference now. However, I would much rather have had that stability come from the Big East + Big 12.

Old
09-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Based on the reaction on Twitter, every NHL player follows boxing. Good to know.

Old
09-18-2011, 06:17 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
So much for that, unfortunately.

I'm still stunned that Pitt's going to be in the ACC. Unlike most of the reactions you'll hear from Pitt fans, I'm disappointed. I actively root against Miami, BC and Virginia Tech to this day for leaving the conference in chaos back in 2003. Now, we're the ones that are putting the conference into disarray.

I <3 the Big East and I'm really going to miss it. No more Big East basketball, the BE Tourney in the Garden and the late November/early December Backyard Brawl meaning something. I guess I'm glad that Pitt is in a stable conference now. However, I would much rather have had that stability come from the Big East + Big 12.
Yeah I'm in the same boat man. I know the good news (if there is any) is that everything is pointing towards WVU to the SEC at this point with a shot at the ACC if Texas turns them down and the SEC situation is still in too much limbo due to Baylor's ********. From everything I've heard about the situation it sound like Ollie and has been in close contact with Pederson and from the sound of it both parties have every intention of keeping the rivalry alive as an OOC game in both football and basketball. I know that's not a permanent guarantee, but I honestly think both ADs know what happened to interest when the Pitt-PSU rivalry was put on hiatus for so long. And these two have a historically more competitive series (at least in the modern era) and are far closer together.

Feels dirty thinking the ACC is an option right now, yet alone a somewhat desirable one, considering how much I'm still disgusted at the conference for kicking this whole fiasco off less then a decade ago with their raid of VT, BC, and Miami.

Old
09-18-2011, 09:58 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ast/50448806/1

So does the ACC do all their business underground or something? And how would Texas in the ACC work? they're 1,000 miles from the east coast.

All this realignment crap is getting ridiculous.

Closed Thread