HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes Board Lounge Part III

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton the Great View Post
Gonna be 1.5, but now sole possession of 2nd place!

I was just looking for an excuse to post this.

The Bucs need to continue to capitalize on a weak part of the schedule. 1 more against Houston, 3 against the Cubs, 3 @ Houston and then the rest of July is hell (3 against Cincinnati, 3 against St. Louis, 4 @ Atlanta, 3 @ Philadelphia.) If they can get Pedro, Doumit, Tabata and Pearce back and maybe even pick up a bat (Carlos Pena plz), they may be able to survive that stretch and be in contention come August. This is a lot of fun.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:27 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
I come here in peace. And with Hank.
Seems there are a few ScoreBoarders who've joined this forum lately...any particular reason? I stopped hanging over there almost two years ago...got tired of hearing that everything was Maurice's fault. I mean, maybe it is, and there's plenty of Mo Must Go folks here too, I just got tired of everything being blamed on the trap, which didn't seem to me was all that prevalent. Ironically, it sounds like the trap may be back next year...

Old
07-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

I can't believe there are so few braves fans. Although I guess Raleigh is pretty far from Atlanta. The NL East is strangely strong this year too.

Old
07-06-2011, 09:03 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehAAB View Post
Seems there are a few ScoreBoarders who've joined this forum lately...any particular reason? I stopped hanging over there almost two years ago...got tired of hearing that everything was Maurice's fault. I mean, maybe it is, and there's plenty of Mo Must Go folks here too, I just got tired of everything being blamed on the trap, which didn't seem to me was all that prevalent. Ironically, it sounds like the trap may be back next year...
Been two timing for a while now. VERY different attitudes and posting styles between the two forums. Scoreboards is WAY too uptight and there's absolutely NO sense of humor over there. I alo think the average age here is about half what it is over there. And that probably makes the biggest difference.

Old
07-06-2011, 09:43 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Been two timing for a while now. VERY different attitudes and posting styles between the two forums. Scoreboards is WAY too uptight and there's absolutely NO sense of humor over there. I alo think the average age here is about half what it is over there. And that probably makes the biggest difference.
You think it's only half? I was thinking it's more like a third.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton H Christ View Post
I can't believe there are so few braves fans. Although I guess Raleigh is pretty far from Atlanta. The NL East is strangely strong this year too.
I grew up a Braves fan in NC, but honestly I just don't follow baseball anymore. I think it has to do with a few factors:

1) Probably the most important thing, Braves games aren't on TV every day like they used to be. Something seems very, very wrong about that. When I watched the Braves, it was often by default on days when there's nothing else on. Not having them available was like losing ESPN or CNN.

2) Something about MLB has changed since I was a kid. It's hard to put my finger on it... maybe the lockout, maybe the steroid scandal, maybe just having the record books ripped to shreds in the past 10 years. But it just doesn't seem timeless anymore. And honestly, when baseball lacks timelessness it suddenly becoming a very dull sport to watch.

3) The Braves in particular went from being very interesting to being very uninteresting. I can still remember the lineup from the mid-90s: McGriff, Belliard, Jones, Blauser, Lopez, Klesko, Grissom, Justice, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Wohlers. Cox and Mazzone looking grumpy in the clubhouse. And it wasn't long after that they added Andruw Jones and Neagle and Rocker. Those were fascinating teams to watch, with storylines all up and down the lineup. Great teams to cheer for, because you could flip on any random game in the summer and instantly have a sense of camraderie with the guys on the field.

10 years later, I couldn't have named a single player other than Chipper. Just a bunch of nameless mercenaries as far as a casual fan is concerned. Jason Heyward perked up my interest a bit the last couple of years, but not having them on TV kinda cancels that out. So, my attention remains on offseason hockey stuff throughout the summer. I never used to pay attention to stuff like the draft, awards and UFA day let alone training camps... but that's where my baseball time goes these days.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:15 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Plus baseball is boring.

Chad LaRose is the anti-baseball.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:16 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
You think it's only half? I was thinking it's more like a third.
I dunno, a few of us skew the curve a bit.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:41 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
Plus baseball is boring.

Chad LaRose is the anti-baseball.
I'm calling Chad Larose character protection police... this post isn't Chad Larosy enough.

Mister, you failed!

Old
07-06-2011, 12:05 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
To be honest, most of the Braves fans I knew, jumped ship when the Braves were no longer the darling team expected to win. I know quite a few who now call themselves "Red Sox" fans, or some other team.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:11 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

I'm on the upper end of that scale as well, but I feel like a kid over on Scoreboards. Not only are many of them 40 or 50+, they act like old farts! I've yet to encounter the stereotypical "bitter woman" poster here as well. THere used to be two of them over there....thankfully one of them dropped off the scene a few years back.....good riddance!

I'm always super fond of the "season tickets holders are the only fans who can have opinions or who know anything about hockey". That's been almost 100% the exact opposite opinion that I have formed after following the Canes from day 1. From my personal experiences, the typical STH is very similar to the typical Facebook Canes follower.

Last edited by TheBigKahuna: 07-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old
07-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

St Louis IS baseball... nuff said

Old
07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Rozsival View Post
I'm calling Chad Larose character protection police... this post isn't Chad Larosy enough.

Mister, you failed!

Rosey is riveting.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:42 PM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

Quote:
It's a small crowd over there that gets smaller every year. I think maybe people are dropping dead. The instability of the infrastructure doesn't help, either.

Basically, it's more active here -- and seems like the same level of discourse, mostly. And when there's big news like there has been this off-season, it's more fun to wade through 50 posts than 5.

--hank

Old
07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

Quote:
I'm always super fond of the "season tickets holders are the only fans who can have opinions or who know anything about hockey". That's been almost 100% the exact opposite opinion that I have formed after following the Canes from day 1. From my personal experiences, the typical STH is very similar to the typical Facebook Canes follower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

--hank

Old
07-06-2011, 02:03 PM
TheBigKahuna

^ Aren't you a little old to be here?

Old
07-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

words with friends users, where you at?

Turbo Pig

my username, no cheaters allowed

Old
07-06-2011, 04:17 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
I'm on the upper end of that scale as well, but I feel like a kid over on Scoreboards. Not only are many of them 40 or 50+, they act like old farts! I've yet to encounter the stereotypical "bitter woman" poster here as well. THere used to be two of them over there....thankfully one of them dropped off the scene a few years back.....good riddance!

Yeah I know what you mean by that. Then again I was 25-26ish at the time I was posting pretty regularly over there so I really WAS a kid by comparison. A lot of the complaining about the drafts really drove me nuts there. Not to say it doesn't happen here, but being initially a prospects oriented site there's far more information available over here to help change opinions.

I think it was eventually the declining number of posters and lack of outside content that put me off. Seemed like it was just Canes fans over there with the occasional Leafs and Caps fan.

Old
07-06-2011, 04:31 PM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

Quote:
^ Aren't you a little old to be here?
Is this the part where I tell you to get out of my yard?

--hank

Old
07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Chad LaRose is the best hockey player.

-Chad

Old
07-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
Chad LaRose is the best hockey player.

-Chad

Old
07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
And just for anyone who's wondering, Justin just changed the name of the Carolina Thunder to the Kansas City Cowboys. No word on whether or not Tripp Tracy's contract is still valid....

Old
07-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
And just for anyone who's wondering, Justin just changed the name of the Carolina Thunder to the Kansas City Cowboys. No word on whether or not Tripp Tracy's contract is still valid....
****ing re-location. As a lifelong fan of the Carolina Thunder, I am pissed right now. Branton Dubinsky is not happy with the move and probably won't report.

Old
07-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I'm guessing I skew it more than most over on this board.

Old
07-06-2011, 06:57 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
I've always thought that if you were to take every native in the Triangle and asked them who their favorite MLB team is, it would be about 30% Braves, 30% Orioles, and the rest would be a combination of Yankees/Red Sox/Cardinals/Rays(because of the Bulls). For Charlotte though the Braves % would be about 20% higher.

There's a map floating around the internet called "US countries of Baseball". It has NC split between the Braves and the Nationals, but the Nationals are too new to have that big of a following here.

Last edited by HisIceness: 07-06-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Closed Thread