HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes Board Lounge Part III

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2011, 07:03 PM
TheBigKahuna

vCash: 500
I would have thought the Orioles had many more local fans than Nationals. I've never met a Nats fan.........

Old
07-06-2011, 07:08 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I would have thought the Orioles had many more local fans than Nationals. I've never met a Nats fan.........
Yeah the Orioles had some decent teams in the 90's and when I'm in raleigh I'll see a car or two with an Orioles sticker on it, I think since they've been around forever and have won a WS in the 80's they would still retain some fans in the state.

The only Nats fan I know is from DC, and is a fan of all DC sports.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Here, in now baseball crazy Columbia (CWS champs twice ****!!!), everyone is a Braves fan or of course the *****y Yankee fans. And some of the "rebel" kids are sox fans.

Chipper hit a homer as I was posting this.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Well some things never change. I lived near Montreal for a while and when the team was still in Montreal, I never met an Expos fan either .

Old
07-06-2011, 07:25 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

I think the Braves are the most followed pro team in SC, even more than the Panthers. I remember Columbia had the Mets Single-A team for years and obviously the Mets and Braves are rivals so that hurt the Columbia team (Bombers?).

Are there any Hurricane fans in Columbia? I remember being asked once when I was there if they were a indoor football team.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Well some things never change. I lived near Montreal for a while and when the team was still in Montreal, I never met an Expos fan either .
You know how "gangstas" wear random team hats? I've never even seen one of them wearing a Nats hat.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
I think the Braves are the most followed pro team in SC, even more than the Panthers. I remember Columbia had the Mets Single-A team for years and obviously the Mets and Braves are rivals so that hurt the Columbia team (Bombers?).
No the Bombers are now unfortunately the Blowfish. Yes like Hootie and The............ I also don't know any Panthers fans, we just go with whatever pro team. I think we all know how College goes here.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:31 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Yeah I know the team they used to have is now in Greenville. I like the Blowfish name, but then again I'm a fan of the band so.....

Old
07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
To be honest, most of the Braves fans I knew, jumped ship when the Braves were no longer the darling team expected to win. I know quite a few who now call themselves "Red Sox" fans, or some other team.
There are a ton of Braves fans here in Hampton Roads. They're kind enough to remind me of what happened in the 95' WS.

Old
07-06-2011, 09:36 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Yeah I know the team they used to have is now in Greenville. I like the Blowfish name, but then again I'm a fan of the band so.....
I was a diehard Bombers fan - got to see Jeter (albeit playing for the then Greensboro Hornets), Preston Wilson, Scott Kazmir, Lastings Milledge, Yusmeiro Petit, and a host of ohers over the years. It's a shame Columbia doesn't have affiliated minor league baseball anymore. I just can't seem to get excited over a summer wooden bat league team like the Blowfish. I held out hope that a minor league team would relocate to Columbia - for a little while it seemed the Columbus Catfish would move that way from Columbus, GA, but NIMBYs killed a potential stadium in NE Columbia. Still, I've got the Bulls now that I'm in the Triangle :-)

As for Hurricanes fans, there weren't a ton of the hockey fans I knew through my time following the Inferno, it seemed like a split of Thrashers, Hurricanes, Penguins, and other various fanbases.

Old
07-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Have you guys seen the guy in Washington (sorry I forget his name) who made a violin out of a baseball bat? He plays songs at their games sometimes. Completley random I know, but still kinda cool. In related news, Go Diamondbacks =)

Old
07-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Guy

vCash: 200
http://www.gogoraleigh.com/2011/07/0...carter-finley/

Quote:
Good news, soccer fans! On Thursday, July 28, Juventus and CD Guadalajara will meet at Carter-Finley Stadium as part of the 14-game World Football Challenge series. Tickets go on sale tomorrow (7/8) at 10am.

Old
07-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
um, isn't there a who cares thread

Old
07-07-2011, 03:34 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
Hrm...a bunch of guys nancing around the field, shying away from anything resembling physical contact in an ultimately boring and pointless exhibition. How is this different from ACC "football" again?

Old
07-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Anybody who says soccer isn't a contact sport must be watching something different from me. Most of the most gruesome collisions I've seen in sports have been in soccer.

Anyway, that is kind of cool and really bizarre that Juventus will be playing at Carter-Finley. I'd like to go to the MLS All-Stars v. Man United game up here, but I don't think it's in the cards financially. Now that Arsenal is owned by Stan Kroenke, I am hoping that they will come play some preseason friendlies over here in future years.

Old
07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Anybody who says soccer isn't a contact sport must be watching something different from me. Most of the most gruesome collisions I've seen in sports have been in soccer.

Anyway, that is kind of cool and really bizarre that Juventus will be playing at Carter-Finley. I'd like to go to the MLS All-Stars v. Man United game up here, but I don't think it's in the cards financially. Now that Arsenal is owned by Stan Kroenke, I am hoping that they will come play some preseason friendlies over here in future years.
If by "soccer" you mean "rugby," then, yes, you're right. Every soccer match I've ever seen results in a player falling to the ground like he just got shot by a sniper and howling in agony at even the slightest contact. I lived in Prague during Euro2008 and watched a few matches in Staroměstské náměstí and, as far as I could tell, it was a great excuse to get out, drink good cheap Staropramen and enjoy grilled kielbasa. Beyond that, the matches were hardly an example of an intense contact sport. Shame I wasn't there during hockey season though...would have loved to have seen Slavia and Sparta.

Old
07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
smi

I understand why someone would claim soccer is a game of sissies. The amount of embellishment and diving in professional soccer makes it seem like they're afraid of contact. And it's a pain to watch, really.

Busquets is the worst diver of them all. Another reason to hate the spanish, along with the last world cup final. Yeah, i'm still bitter (fan of the dutch team right here).

Old
07-07-2011, 04:29 PM
TheBigKahuna

Really?

They need to fix that sniper problem.

Old
07-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Old
07-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

No one dives in hockey, and certainly not on the Carolina Hurricanes.

BTW, soccer fans hate diving too.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Hrm...a bunch of guys nancing around the field, shying away from anything resembling physical contact in an ultimately boring and pointless exhibition. How is this different from ACC "football" again?
Virtual hi five broseph.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:24 PM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

POR FAVOR CARRASCO.

--hank

Old
07-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I, too, can post YouTube videos.

Hockey is a stupid sport for sissies

Old
07-07-2011, 05:34 PM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Hockey is a stupid sport for sissies
There's no denying the occasional Theismannesque leg explosion in soccer. It can be a rough game. But hockey diving isn't even close to soccer diving. Not by a wide margin.

And the various federations could easily put a stop to it. Further review shows clear simulation? Boom, player gets fined x, team gets fined 5x. But they don't. Go figure.

--hank

Old
07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton H Christ View Post
Virtual hi five broseph.
My pleasure. Man, I thought my ACC comment would draw more flack than my soccer comment!

Closed Thread