HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

1st overall to Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2011, 12:39 AM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Was going to respond to the op, but then I had to wade through a bunch of crap.................. the Oilers are not going to do a quality for quantity deal. They need a #1C and a #1D. Desperately. The prospects you listed are all good players in their own right, but like some have already said, we have more pressing needs, and no other tangible way to meet them.
I'm surprised your response was so calm The OP was at least reasonable because he added solid pieces, but with some of the other stuff in the thread I thought you might tee off...

Is this a new IATL or are you just saving your energy for the last week when there are 20 Oiler threads everyday concerning our pick?

Old
06-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Well first of all, I dont see how Myers has more value than #1 but to my point..
Because he's the #1 all situations defenseman on a playoff team and he's barely old enough to drink alcohol.

I don't see how the #1 pick has more value than Myers. Teams with the #1 overall pick hope that the player they draft will become the caliber of a player like Myers.

Old
06-10-2011, 01:02 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
Because he's the #1 all situations defenseman on a playoff team and he's barely old enough to drink alcohol.

I don't see how the #1 pick has more value than Myers. Teams with the #1 overall pick hope that the player they draft will become the caliber of a player like Myers.
I don't think Joey or any Oiler fan is arguing the 1st pick is worth more than Myers, but to the Oilers we probably value that pick equal to that of Myers because it's our chance to draft another potential franchise player.

Old
06-10-2011, 01:10 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post

Here is a list of first overall picks from the last ten years.

Ilya Kovalchuk
Rick Nash
Marc Andre Fleury
Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Erik Johnson
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Taylor Hall

Now why dont you tell us all who on that list you would take Myers over so we can all have a good laugh.

Old
06-10-2011, 01:13 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Counter:

To Buf: 19th overall + J.Petry + Omark + Pitlick

To Edm: T. Myers

quantity =/= quality
You're my hero.

Old
06-10-2011, 01:17 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:

Ilya Kovalchuk
Rick Nash
Marc Andre Fleury
Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Erik Johnson
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Taylor Hall

Now why dont you tell us all who on that list you would take Myers over so we can all have a good laugh.
I'm always shy to look at that list too often... makes me think about Patrick Stephan. *knocks on wood*

Old
06-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Blank

Quote:

Ilya Kovalchuk
Rick Nash
Marc Andre Fleury
Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Erik Johnson
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Taylor Hall

I personally would take Myers ahead of the bolded guys.. Kane and Kovy are kinda close. This isn't the "now", just trying to project what the players will become.

Myers is IMO the 2nd best young d in the game atm, only beaten by Doughty and not by a big margin either.

Last edited by Blank: 06-10-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old
06-10-2011, 06:08 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
I personally would take Myers ahead of the bolded guys.. Kane and Kovy are kinda close. This isn't the "now", just trying to project what the players will become.

Myers is IMO the 2nd best young d in the game atm, only beaten by Doughty and not by a big margin either.
Happen to agree with the players you pointed out.
It's apples to oranges quite frankly (outside of Erik Johnson).
Comparing a list of forwards or even a goalie (MA Fluery? Really? ) to a defenseman. Different jobs.

Myers had a stellar rookie season, was rookie of the year. He has taken the Buffalo blueline job on during a time when a transition is occuring with the injection of youth, and he's done it while going through multiple pairing partners and still is a great offensive threat.
With his development in his sophmore season, he hit a bump admittedly, at the start of the season, but he's starting to use his size more, alot more. He's a much better skater than Chara, so as he matures and uses his body more, forwards beware, your going to feel the pain.

The kid is nothing but fantastic, actually sad others outside of Buffalo cannot see him as he goes through these transition phases in his development years.
Tyler Myers is currently a Franchise Defenseman and is likely to be the force to be reckoned with as he develops for years to come in the NHL.

Sounds to me like he's worth a hell of alot more than a 1st round pick in a weak draft class with as of yet, unproven talent.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:06 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by eberlehall View Post
Also, it would be Myers +++ for first overall

Quote:
Was going to respond to the op, but then I had to wade through a bunch of crap.................. the Oilers are not going to do a quality for quantity deal. They need a #1C and a #1D. Desperately. The prospects you listed are all good players in their own right, but like some have already said, we have more pressing needs, and no other tangible way to meet them.
And that's fine. But the #1 overall pick is not going to bring either of those to Edmonton.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:14 AM
nzoilerfan

The pick will only be dealt if a young franchise player is coming back.

I don't know why people say Miller would be worth the 1st overall. He is 30 and a number one centre is more valuable to a team these days than a number one goalie.

If they offered Miller and the oilers would consider a package they would probably want:
16th
Enroth
Pysyk
Kassian

Thats how unlikely the pick is to be moved. They want a franchise player. Myers may be it. But I doubt Buffalo would even consider that move. Too much risk involved for both GM's to pull the trigger.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:42 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:

Ilya Kovalchuk
Rick Nash
Marc Andre Fleury
Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Erik Johnson
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Taylor Hall

Crosby
Ovechkin
Stamkos
Myers
Kovalchuk
etc.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:12 AM
tmack224

Quote:

Ilya Kovalchuk
Rick Nash
Marc Andre Fleury
Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Erik Johnson
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Taylor Hall

That was easy. Myers is a number 1 defenseman with even more upside and is still getting better and hes only 21 with 2 years under his belt in the nhl plus 2 years of playoffs... I love when people underrate Myers...

Old
06-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The gap between #1 and #16 is too great to bridge, I suspect. It takes a pick in the #2 to round #5 or #6 range, plus a sweetener, when teams at #1 contemplate trading down in a swap.

The alternative is that the Oilers will want a really strong young player/prospect, which inevitably leads to Myers and vitriol from Buffalo fans in this instance.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
That was easy. Myers is a number 1 defenseman with even more upside and is still getting better and hes only 21 with 2 years under his belt in the nhl plus 2 years of playoffs... I love when people underrate Myers...
Myers is a good young player, but lets get real, he had one very good season and one good season.

That's it.

Kovalchuk, Hall and Tavares>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Myers. Easily.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The gap between #1 and #16 is too great to bridge, I suspect. It takes a pick in the #2 to round #5 or #6 range, plus a sweetener, when teams at #1 contemplate trading down in a swap.

The alternative is that the Oilers will want a really strong young player/prospect, which inevitably leads to Myers and vitriol from Buffalo fans in this instance.
Buffalo would never trade Myers. For anything. Nor should they. Consequently the first overall pick is pretty much untouchable. Any package that would secure it would be ridiculous to the point it wouldnt be worth it.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:20 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
And that's fine. But the #1 overall pick is not going to bring either of those to Edmonton.
Well that is a ridiculous statement.

Professional scouts have predicted otherwise, and really, you have no idea how these players are going to project.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Buffalo would never trade Myers. For anything. Nor should they. Consequently the first overall pick is pretty much untouchable. Any package that would secure it would be ridiculous to the point it wouldnt be worth it.
Did you think I was disagreeing?

...yes... and that's why this is a pointless exercise. First overall picks are almost always on the market, the Crosby year as an exception, for a conversation to be had anyway. Yet the price is such that realistic scenarios usually require a swap near the very top (#1 for #2 plus; #1 for #3 plus, etc.) because all the alternatives are clunky.

Teams finishing last overall, or near enough, value prospects, futures, and it's difficult to come up with proposals when you don't have a high pick that convince the team holding the #1 overall to give up that pick.

The dynamic is such that the team holding the #1 pick is almost always in a place where what the franchise values most... is a very high pick. Convincing them to come off that position is exceedingly difficult. Teams not holding and offering up a #2, #3, #4, or #5 pick probably should not apply.

Without one, you end up with the pick-holding team needing a top young player to move the pick, and that's where the deal dies, because the inquiring team is almost never willing to part with that young player. A Myers in this instance. Buffalo isn't trading him, but if so... where are you in terms of a deal? You are nowhere.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Clive Barley
Condra Commander

Quote:
Myers is a good young player, but lets get real, he had one very good season and one good season.

That's it.

Not yet they're not. 21 year old #1 all situations D-men with his skill set, skating and size is a blood diamond of the NHL

Old
06-10-2011, 10:02 AM
tmack224

Quote:

That's it.

Really your gonna say Hall is better then Myers right now after trying to explain that Myers is still young and had 1 good season and one real good season. Last I checked Hall had 1 good season. Id say Myers first year in the NHL was better then Halls so your logic doesnt really make sense...

Old
06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Really your gonna say Hall is better then Myers right now after trying to explain that Myers is still young and had 1 good season and one real good season. Last I checked Hall had 1 good season. Id say Myers first year in the NHL was better then Halls so your logic doesnt really make sense...
Are you trying to tell me that Myers>Hall?

Please, tell me that is what you are saying.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:13 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Barley View Post
Not yet they're not. 21 year old #1 all situations D-men with his skill set, skating and size is a blood diamond of the NHL
Being a #1 dman on Buffalo isnt that big of a feat tbh.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Barley View Post
I think Myers is being a little overrated here. He looks great for 21 years old but lets not exaggerate. He had 37 points this season. Not 55. He played 22 minutes a night. Not 26+. He's not overly physical for a big man, he doesn't block a ton of shots and he needs to be more consistent over the course of a season. I know it sounds like I'm being negative but I'm just trying to bring up a few points that are being ignored. People are trying to portray him as the total package and he's not. There is no shame in that when he's as young as he is. He's a #2 Dman with a lot of more growing to do. He's going to be a #1 someday but to say he's only slightly behind Doughty is getting carried away...and I realize he plays in all situations but so do most #2 Dmen.

Edit: Just so Sabres fans don't get to defensive. Ryan Whitney had 27 points in 35 games this season, played 25 minutes a night and on the worst team in the league was a +13. There was a point in the season where he had a point on 70% of the Oilers goals...and he's considered a #2 in most people's eyes.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:20 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:

That's it.

Hahaha!

Hall? Get real, Myers had an elite rookie season, much better then halls.

myers is only behind Doughty when it comes to young d-men.

I laugh at you including Hall with Kovy.

Quote:

Hahaha, Myers outscored Hall as rookies, no one on Edm is on myers level, laughable you think that the truth (myers>hall) is a joke.

You keep your pick, op is misguided if were trading a package like that it will be for an impact player.

Last edited by La Cosa Nostra: 06-10-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old
06-10-2011, 10:25 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Hahaha!

Hall? Get real, Myers had an elite rookie season, much better then halls.

myers is only behind Doughty when it comes to young d-men.

I laugh at you including Hall with Kovy.
Where was Myers playing as an 18yr old?

That's what I thought.

He wasnt even in the top thirty in scoring for dmen this year.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:25 AM
tmack224

Quote:

You do know that just becuase someone is drafted first overall doesnt make them better then every player in the league right? HAll had a pretty good year I think hes gonna be a great player dont get me wrong. He still has a lot to prove as does Myers but I personally would take Myers over Hall any day of the week on my team. Players like Myers are almost impossible to come by. Pretty much every Team has a Hall type player on it.

Closed Thread