HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is our first overall pick worth ?

Old
06-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
They aren't exclusive. In any transaction, the value of an item is determined by both the buyer and the seller. If I'm selling a cup of coffee for $15 because I think my coffee is so damn good,the accuracy of valuation depends on the buyer agreeing to pay that price. If they don't, my $15 cup of coffee is worthless. Sure I can drink it and enjoy it but it's not a $15 cup of coffee in that case.
Yes but that is your value of the cup of coffee and the thread is basically asking posters what our value of the 1st overall pick is (ie. what's acceptable to Oiler fans to part with it). Yes it will be astronomically high and if no one wants to pay that then yeah of course we will sit back and enjoy that cup of coffee or in this thread that prospect.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
They aren't exclusive. In any transaction, the value of an item is determined by both the buyer and the seller. If I'm selling a cup of coffee for $15 because I think my coffee is so damn good,the accuracy of valuation depends on the buyer agreeing to pay that price. If they don't, my $15 cup of coffee is worthless. Sure I can drink it and enjoy it but it's not a $15 cup of coffee in that case.
Sure, but that's not the right analogy, it's not because the Oilers think their "coffee", the pick, is better, it's because it's the only one of it's kind.

So it would be more like, you're charging $15 for cup of coffee, because you're the only one offering coffee, then it's up to the purchaser to determine if that's worth it for them or not.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:14 PM
the word*

Just me... but if I didn't have a cup of coffee for months, and I knew it was the only cup of coffee available to me in a long time, damn rights I'm buying that $15 coffee with a huge grin on my face.

I drink too much coffee.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanLeaf View Post
Again the Oilers are not in the driver's seat, because NOBODY would want to offer that much for RNH. If the Oilers want to deal the pick the trade has to be fair for both teams.

this is the part, i think, you are not getting, mein fruend. The Oil are most happy with keeping the pick and choosing the best 18 year old in the world. If someone is willing to pay [I]their[I] price, (which is a proven, worldclass, franchise centre or defensemen who is under the age of 27, with a workable contract) then they will entertain trading their pick. IOW, its not really up for trade.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote