HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darche is back- 1 year deal- 700K

Old
06-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

The guys making the bruins win are Thomas, Seidenberg, Krejci. Not Chara, Lucic and LOL Thornton.
You are wrong. This series turned around for Boston after Thornton came back and started running around, throwing his weight. Lucic has been delivering a lot of hits, making plays and making a ton of room on the ice.

The physical play really does free up a lot of ice for the skilled players. Montreal can't play the body with any success, they rarely come out of the corner with the puck, or create havoc in front of the net.

Boston and Vancouver have had limited injuries up front, due to their overall size. The Horton injury was the exception.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Forsead

His ability in front of the net and good attitude was worth a contract alone IMO. The guy has been a positive on the team for the last two years he has a pretty low cost contract and it's very small on the cap. Plus he has a good attitude when he has been scratched, so it's not a problem for the coach and even for the GM that can still sign more players to be reservist (perhaps a more physical/gritty/aggressive one, why not Konopka, who is also a good faceoff man).

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
You are wrong. This series turned around for Boston after Thornton came back and started running around, throwing his weight. Lucic has been delivering a lot of hits, making plays and making a ton of room on the ice.

The physical play really does free up a lot of ice for the skilled players. Montreal can't play the body with any success, they rarely come out of the corner with the puck, or create havoc in front of the net.

Boston and Vancouver have had limited injuries up front, due to their overall size. The Horton injury was the exception.

In the last two games, the canucks have virtually zero net drive. One thing the habs did very well is create rebounds on thomas by taking sharp angled shots. When the habs were successful, they were playing their speed and transition game which the bruins have difficulty with.

Also, the bruins had to limit their clown behaviour in scrums and whatnot because the habs killed them on special teams. Vancouver is not only losing the special teams battle but they are also joining the B's in those extra curricular activities.

Bottom line, the canucks have to get back to their own brand of hockey and force the bruins to get into an up tempo game, and they have to show why they had the best PP in the league. Otherwise, the B's have no incentive to change.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:48 PM
RNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Small bounce and we are in the Finals? That's a bit of a stretch.

So if everything goes 100% according to plan, we'll be a contender? When's the last time this team went a year without major injuries?
I said a small bounce and it COULD be us in the finals. Who knows how far we could''ve gone. Another way to look at it, a small bounce and Boston is out in the 1st round, watching US play, and Boston fans who are just like you are busy saying what a mediocre team they have.

If you look at the Cup winners since the lockout, most if not all had very few injuries to key players. And those they did were either not to key players or not for a long period of time. Again, how would Boston have done this year without Chara, Seidenberg and Marchand from January to whenever they got knocked out of the playoffs? Our injuries were unfortunate, just like key injuries to other teams' stars is unfortunate for them. In a league with as much parity as the NHL has right now, losing 2-3 key players for the season is certainly going to hurt any team's deep playoff aspirations.
With LESS injuries to key players, yes, we can be a serious contender. Didn't we just prove that this year? What team were you watching?

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:

I disagree, for the reasons Hackett mentioned and more.

Also, even if I agreed, Lucic and Thornton were useless in round 1-2-3.

Are you really telling me they're the guys driving the bruins ?

Des Louise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
In the last two games, the canucks have virtually zero net drive. One thing the habs did very well is create rebounds on thomas by taking sharp angled shots. When the habs were successful, they were playing their speed and transition game which the bruins have difficulty with.

Also, the bruins had to limit their clown behaviour in scrums and whatnot because the habs killed them on special teams. Vancouver is not only losing the special teams battle but they are also joining the B's in those extra curricular activities.

Bottom line, the canucks have to get back to their own brand of hockey and force the bruins to get into an up tempo game, and they have to show why they had the best PP in the league. Otherwise, the B's have no incentive to change.
Could not be more spot on.

Back to topic however, Darche is a great bottom 6 player. Good deal.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
??? They could had swept the series 4-0 by now...and they're not outplaying the Canucks ???

They were lucky to beat the Habs and TB, I agree, though.
No, they could not have swept the series 4-0, and that's why it's 2-2.
Luongo and Thomas were pretty much on par in the first two games although one had a lot more work to do (thomas).
In boston, the nucks were playing well both games until Luongo gave up softies. That's the only reason why Boston won.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:43 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He is the only one that takes a beating to stand in front of the net, did you ever think of that's the reason he is out there? You want Martin to send Cammalleri or Gionta or Plekanec in front of the net and take a beating? We get that you don't like him, Darche is far from being a distraction to this hockey team and for that money is a solid addition IMO
Thank you for upping my point. We have Darche on our powerplay. Enough said with this management. Help please.

Quote:

I couldn't have put it in better words. well done

Last edited by Shawn Wilken: 06-10-2011 at 04:56 PM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 05:43 PM
MarkovsKnee

A decent signing. Darche is a good depth player who knows his role well. He goes to the net, works hard and is a good veteran to have around. Pouliot did nothing after Darche went down with an injury. He also doesn't ***** if JM wants to sit him to get another player in the line-up. Oh yeah, he's also 6'2, 212. We need that kind of size.

Darche, Pyatt and White will rotate in and out of the line-up depending on the injury situation and the opposition.

Cammy -- Pleks -- XXX

Patches -- Gomez -- Gionta

DD - Eller - Kostitsyn

Moen -- XXX --- Darche

Extra: Pyatt, White

We still have room for a 4th line centre. I'm hoping for one of Rupp or Konopka to bring some more toughness to this team. We also need a big body to play with Cammy - Pleks to give them a stronger fore-checking presence and create some room for them. That will be tougher to find.

If the Habs can afford it, maybe a player like Upshall or Kopecky to play on the 3rd line with Eller and AK, although I really like DD's offensive game. In that case, Pyatt could be waived to make room.

IMO, Pouliot is gone. DD does way more for this team then Pouliot does and that is who Pools has lost his spot to. DD plays both specialty teams, can take face-offs, and I loved his brief play on the wing where he showed what a solid forechecker he is. He's a solid, offensive depth player for us and cheap too.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:16 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No, they could not have swept the series 4-0, and that's why it's 2-2.
Luongo and Thomas were pretty much on par in the first two games although one had a lot more work to do (thomas).
In boston, the nucks were playing well both games until Luongo gave up softies. That's the only reason why Boston won.
Do not agree with the last premise. Canucks played like absolute garbage in Boston. And your qualifier of them playing fine until Luongo let in softies is just totally short-sighted.

Let us take the last game for example. First goal was a breakaway, hard to fault any goalie on that. Second was an absolute brutal gap control by Salo, and to top it off, deflected the puck, making a normal save into a very difficult one.

Bottom line is the Canucks have had no drive, or puck support in Boston, christ they couldn't even get a proper dump in throughout the game. The Canucks have scored a single goal in the last two games, while allowing 12. That goes a little further than goaltending my friend.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:56 PM
coolasprICE

Darche, Subban and Gomez's combined cap-hit is 8.8 Million

Not bad!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Darche, Subban and Gomez's combined cap-hit is 8.8 Million

Not bad!
Or we could say between Gomez and Spacek we have 11.1M commited, and they are probably only worth about half that combined at best. Pretty ****** deal when you look at it this way eh?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Do not agree with the last premise. Canucks played like absolute garbage in Boston. And your qualifier of them playing fine until Luongo let in softies is just totally short-sighted.

Let us take the last game for example. First goal was a breakaway, hard to fault any goalie on that. Second was an absolute brutal gap control by Salo, and to top it off, deflected the puck, making a normal save into a very difficult one.

Bottom line is the Canucks have had no drive, or puck support in Boston, christ they couldn't even get a proper dump in throughout the game. The Canucks have scored a single goal in the last two games, while allowing 12. That goes a little further than goaltending my friend.
It's not because a goal happens on a breakaway that the goalie gets a pass. I could have scored on his fivehole on that play, it was wide open, and he didn't even use his stick which shows he completely misread Peverley and had very bad positioning on the play. It's not because the Nucks defense were crap on that play that it makes it okay for Luongo to screw up as well. There's a reason why the goalie is usually your most important player.
I'm not saying Vancouver played well, but it was the same story twice. They came out strong in the first, and then Luongo decided to become Santa from the 2nd till the end.
Even in the blowout, Vancouver had 41 shots, they only made 3turnovers (as opposed to the Bruins 12), in the first it was 12/7 the shots for them (41-38 at the end of the game for them) and they dominated in the Faceoffs. In game two, same deal.
I said before the Series, it would come down on special teams, but even more so on goaltending.
I didn't expect the Nucks to struggle on the PP, but even if they did, I was sure the Nucks would still pull it off as long as Luongo made key saves. He hasn't done that in the last two games, and in the end, that is ultimately the reason of their losses.
Teams will give up chances, momentum will change throughout games, it's important that your keeper makes those saves when the opposing team get their chances.
If you let one in (breakaway), then you better make sure you don't give up the 2nd, especially when the other goalie is playing on his head.

Ya, the Canucks made a lot of mistakes, so did the Bruins. If Thomas played as poorly as Luongo, the goal differential wouldn't have been 11 but much, much closer.

I know, you don't win with 1 goal in two games. You also usually don't win when you allow 12. I'm not one to blame the goalies, far from it actually, but this is the finals. No matter how unorganized and lost your team is looking (which they weren't in both 1st periods btw), as a goalie, you need to make sure you keep them in the game, and Luongo wasn't able to do so these past two games. Thomas on the other hand has done exactly that when his team looked lost.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:31 PM
wedge

He deserves it. There's a chance it's his last contract in the NHL so if he can get some money out of it, it's perfect.

wedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Clumsyhab

Good signing. However, I don't get the RDS crew and RDS talkbacks whining about the Habs not giving enough money. Many even say that the organization disrespects Darche.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

Exactly my point though. The Bruins are dictating the play, because of their size. And, while I agree Montreal is a problem for Boston, they are still in the cup final.

The Canucks are also a big team, I do believe their success wasn't just because of their size, and skill ... its the way they have designed their entire offence.

So two of the biggest teams in the NHL are in the final, I don't believe its a fluke.

Last edited by Habs: 06-11-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old
06-10-2011, 10:16 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Exactly my point though. The Bruins are dictating the play, because of their size. And, while I agree Montreal is a problem for Boston, they are still in the cup final.

The Canucks are also a big team, I do believe their success wasn't because of their size, and skill ... its the way they have designed their entire offence.

So two of the biggest teams in the NHL are in the final, I don't believe its a fluke.
I think we do need to get bigger up front. We have the shortest group of forwards in the league. A couple of bigger bodies could be all that we need to free up our smaller players such as Cammy and Gionta. Pacioretty was really playing well before his injury and made his line a threat every time he was on the ice. That is why i think we need to add a Laich or, in an ideal world, a Jagr to the mix. The latter is almost impossible to move off the puck.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
I think we do need to get bigger up front. We have the shortest group of forwards in the league. A couple of bigger bodies could be all that we need to free up our smaller players such as Cammy and Gionta. Pacioretty was really playing well before his injury and made his line a threat every time he was on the ice. That is why i think we need to add a Laich or, in an ideal world, a Jagr to the mix. The latter is almost impossible to move off the puck.
I just don't understand how the hockey minds changed their ways, when they won consistently with players like LeClair, Muller, Bellows, Corson, McPhee, Skrudland. Players that they could surround with small skilled forwards... etc... and yet they abandoned this old philosophy for this new one.. that consists of small, speedy forwards surrounded by.. well.. more small forwards.

Somewhere along the way this club lost its identity. 'Bruins Hockey' , like it or not, is at least a method they believe in, win or lose. What is the identify of this team? No more flying frenchmen, no more tough as nails teams that could play any style you wanted to. Want to muck it up back in the day? Fine, deal with 5 or 6 guys who'll take it right back to you. Want a speed game? Fine, no problem, the team had all the tools to deal with any situation.

Patches will fill a huge void this year, I look forward to his return.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:48 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

The Canucks are also a big team, I do believe their success wasn't just because of their size, and skill ... its the way they have designed their entire offence.

for what it's worth, last year cup winners had big guys such as Kane, Toews, Sharp and Versteeg in their top 6...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
All because of Darche.
I might be a mod but I'm willing to risk losing that spot to say this is the absolute stupidest post I have ever read.

We are an average team because of Darche? Seriously? A role player who didn't play every game and when he did play was one of the best point producers on the PP in limited minutes and played his heart out every time he was the ice?

Quite honestly? Darche, last year, was one of the absolute best "non-rfa" contracts in the entire league. I have no doubt he'll be an absolute steal again this year. If anything, Darche made this team that much better because frankly, he was supposed to be a fringe NHLer and proved he's a more than capable 3rd or 4th liner.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:41 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
for what it's worth, last year cup winners had big guys such as Kane, Toews, Sharp and Versteeg in their top 6...

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:49 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Happy that he is back and at a very respectable price. Should continue to work hard and add his leadership to the team.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Or we could say between Gomez and Spacek we have 11.1M commited, and they are probably only worth about half that combined at best. Pretty ****** deal when you look at it this way eh?
Every roster in the NHL has 2-3 guys not worth their cap hit...the Rangers had Gomez Drury Rozival and Redden at one point. That's like 25 mil for a group producing at a 14-15 mil pace.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I just don't understand how the hockey minds changed their ways, when they won consistently with players like LeClair, Muller, Bellows, Corson, McPhee, Skrudland. Players that they could surround with small skilled forwards... etc... and yet they abandoned this old philosophy for this new one.. that consists of small, speedy forwards surrounded by.. well.. more small forwards.

Somewhere along the way this club lost its identity. 'Bruins Hockey' , like it or not, is at least a method they believe in, win or lose. What is the identify of this team? No more flying frenchmen, no more tough as nails teams that could play any style you wanted to. Want to muck it up back in the day? Fine, deal with 5 or 6 guys who'll take it right back to you. Want a speed game? Fine, no problem, the team had all the tools to deal with any situation.

Patches will fill a huge void this year, I look forward to his return.
Muller Bellows and Skrudland are no bigger than Gomez and Plekanec...Corson is slightly bigger.

I'd like to know the average size of Boston and the Habs this year...I'm pretty sure it's about the same. People complain that we have a small team yet we have what 4 regulars on the whole team under 6' and 200lbs...Desharnais Cammy Gionta and Plekanec(who is like 195 lbs).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:03 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I might be a mod but I'm willing to risk losing that spot to say this is the absolute stupidest post I have ever read.

We are an average team because of Darche? Seriously? A role player who didn't play every game and when he did play was one of the best point producers on the PP in limited minutes and played his heart out every time he was the ice?

Quite honestly? Darche, last year, was one of the absolute best "non-rfa" contracts in the entire league. I have no doubt he'll be an absolute steal again this year. If anything, Darche made this team that much better because frankly, he was supposed to be a fringe NHLer and proved he's a more than capable 3rd or 4th liner.
You should lose your spot for saying that. Your over exuberance of Darsche isn't exactly brilliant either. Darsche is fine in his role and salary,but how many guys like him can you have He's another guy that no other team would have signed for the league minimum.like Pyatt,Picard,and Halpern.Those guys are so replaceable with upgrades that fit our needs(toughness) close to the same salary.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote