HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Development Camp July 10 - July 16

Old
07-11-2011, 03:55 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
A vacant 3C spots sounds like Bruce has already moved C Brooks Laich back to wing. That was quicker than even I expected. Unless Brooks is battling Sjogren and Eakin.

Marcus could be ready to anchor 2 with Semin but that has to be a speed finesse line. Coordinated attack, you know, teamwork using top grade passing and running set plays. I would almost rather see MJ with Ovi and Knuble to provide some beef for him.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
So... which of Laich and Johansson is not playing at C?
I'm clearly having hallucinations, sorry. I thought I heard BB say that "if doesn't work out with the young guys, we'll put Laich in there"

But since he mentioned Sjogren, Perrault, Eakin in the same sentence as if they will battle for the same spot, I thought he was speaking about 3C (starting at ~3:10).

I'll go get some sleep

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:58 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Can someone actually listen and repost what was said....since its obviously been misinterpreted.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:10 PM
FrankM73

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Brouwer - Laich - Semin
Chimera - Johansson - Ward
Hendricks - Halpern - Sjogren
x-Eakin
x-Beagle

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Boudreau: "There's not a lot of holes to fill....There might be that one hole right now...whether it's Cody or whether we move Brooks into the third line and move somebody over."

Johansson/Eakin cutting their teeth at 2/3C would be pretty damn bold. Laich at 3C or Halpern at 3C and Sjogren/Eakin at 4C would be a little more understandable under the circumstances. A checking line to shoulder tough ES minutes seems like a must to further free up the second line and help establish Johansson as 2C. Hard to pull off a checking line with a rookie in the middle.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:24 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I tend to think Eakin could pull it off with his wheels.

Was Helm on the 4th or 3rd line that first full season?

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:26 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

What Langway said.

Laich at 3C if nothing else works makes more sense, except for his contract.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I tend to think Eakin could pull it off with his wheels.

Was Helm on the 4th or 3rd line that first full season?
I thought it was 4th, but defer to others. However, Helm's first full season was his 3rd pro season, although he did have that playoff stint in year 1.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Burt's mainly a forward (RW) IIRC.

Eakin & Orlov should be the head and shoulder leaders here, with only physical strength in question relatively speaking. It's an important camp for Sjogren, Flemming, Stefishen, Grubauer, Mitchell & Paquette to prove their readiness to Washington/Hershey. Others are looking to leave their mark.

I'm most interested if there are any new system wrinkles they may trot out this week, especially when it comes to puck possession and sustained attacking. These camps provide a decent opportunity to experiment on some things that may be integrated down the road. Keeping things simplified would make it easier on the players but if they really want to gauge a player's hockey sense and adaptability then making things purposefully complicated should only help the evaluation process.

I thought BB just blew the whistle and yelled "have at it boys!"

yes...im kidding

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:40 PM
DCRedhawk21

Yeah, under normal circumstances it wouldn't bother me if Laich was playing 3C or 2W. Given our youth at center though, I will be surprised. if he doesn't start the year at 3C or 2C. Look, I'm a huge fan of what MoJo accomplished last year, and I think he will only get better. But rolling with 2C MoJo and 3C Eakin/Sjogren full time is not a recipe for success IMO. I'm excited to see what Eakin and Sjogren can do, but this team made moves in the off-season with the interest of winning now. I think something like this forward line-up gives us the best chance:

Ovi - Backstrom - Brouwer (Knuble's the man, but I want to see what this young line could do)
Semin - MoJo - Knuble
Sjogren/Eakin - Laich - Ward
Chimera - Halpern - Hendricks
Beagle
King

I'd be much more comfortable having Sjogren/Eakin at wing with Laich at center, fulfilling those defensive responsibilities. I think counting on a line of Ward - Eakin/Sjogren - Brouwer would be disastrous. Ward and Brouwer are great at what they do, grinding and hitting, but neither are great defensive players. Depending on a rookie to cover for them would be a mistake.

Edit - by disastrous, I mean if always used. Obviously that would be an incredible forechecking line.

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:41 PM
sk84fun_dc

As has been the case the last couple of development camps, there was a guest coach on the ice with the coaches with Group A. Looked familiar but I have no idea why. Waiting to see if anyone know who it is.

looks like the guest coach is Steve Spott, Kitchener Rangers head coach

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-11-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old
07-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Brouwer - Sjogren/Eakin - Ward.
All new Caps 3rd line.
Well after seeing this post among others I'm starting to feel somewhat vindicated for backing Sjogren. Personally though I think they like Eakin more right now. If anything they'll try to move Chimera and put Sjogren on that 4th line due to Sjogrens grit as well as his ability to score and set people up. Basically for a fourth liner he would be quite an offensive threat. Which I think is among the themes for this upcoming season, 'get more goals from the third and fourth line while keeping the defensive mindset.'

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Yeah, Helm started out on the fourth line, though as sk8 said he apprenticed in the AHL for some time.

Whatever moves Chimera to the fourth line in more of a pure energy role I can get behind, although a winger combo of Hendricks/Chimera strikes me as needing considerable polish. Neither are particularly strong defensively.

Eakin as 3LW could work. For me it all revolves around his physical maturity. If he's comfortable in that sense then he has all of the other tools to be a regular, especially if putting aside face-offs as a winger.

Ward is pretty solid defensively. Trotz leaned on him a lot in tough minute situations. Semin, Knuble, Laich and Ward are easily their best two-way wingers.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:07 PM
sk84fun_dc

Links to info. for the FA invites not listed before plus the 3 NMU players who were in fact in attendance.

Conor Allen, D, NCAA-UMass-Amherst, link to team player profile

Luke Eibler, D, NCAA-Northeastern Univ., link to team player profile and more

Wade Epp, D, NCAA- Northern Michigan, link to team player profile

Kyle Follmer, D, NCAA-Northern Michigan, link to team player profile

Nick Tabisz, D, played 3 games for SC Stingrays last season after winning Div III championship with St. Norbert

Andrew Cherniwchan, F, NCAA- Northern Michigan, link to team player profile

David Civitarese, F, NCAA- Colorado College link to team player profile

Reid Edmondson, F, CHL-Laredo, attended camp in '09

Brock Montpetit, F, NCAA-U Nebraska-Omaha, link to team player profile

Garret Ross, LW, OHL-Saginaw, link to team player profile

Aaron Schmit, RW, NCAA-Ferris State, link to team player profile

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-11-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old
07-11-2011, 05:12 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

So BB agrees. Calling someone a center. Paying him like a C. Doesn't make him a center.

Oh boy.

Good to hear the encouraging tweets about sjogren.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:12 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I think Eakin will need to be a C so he can use his skating to his advantage. At wing, he is going to be in a lot of board battles, probably not used to his strengths. We rolled MJ at C with no Hershey time, we can do the same with Eakin.

A new look based on Eakin scoring 2 goals in preseason aka wowing.

Ovi MJ Brouwer
Laich Backstrom Semin
Chimera Eakin Knuble
Hendricks Halpern Ward

Big wingers for the kids

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:32 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Under no circumstances do I want to see eakin at C. But that's just me.

Old
07-11-2011, 05:33 PM
CrashTheNet9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Injury prone
Sjogren had a crazy first day losing a teeth and almost a second one. Props to him returning to the ice quickly. BB liked that.

Last edited by CrashTheNet9: 07-11-2011 at 07:56 PM.
CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Dirtbag59

It sounds like they really want to find a spot for Sjogren in this article. All the talk about him being defensively sound and physically mature.

Then again it sounds like there might be only one spot open. At least for the first part of the season.
Quote:
Those combined experiences are part of the reason Coach Bruce Boudreau said on Monday that he expects Eakin to compete with free agent signee Mattias Sjogren, 23, from Sweden, and Hershey regular Mathieu Perreault for what at this point would appear to be one spot on the NHL roster when training camp takes place in September.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:08 PM
sk84fun_dc

If someone wants info. about backgrounds of the FA invites, post 7 is updated. Mostly NCAA players, most with eligibility remaining. As I noted above, 3 players at camp as FA invites who have been on the ice before at Caps camp. I didn't see de Kastrozza today, so maybe Leone was wrong about him attending and it was only training camp where he'd be participating?

Old
07-11-2011, 06:23 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
If someone wants info. about backgrounds of the FA invites, post 7 is updated. Mostly NCAA players, most with eligibility remaining. As I noted above, 3 players at camp as FA invites who have been on the ice before at Caps camp. I didn't see de Kastrozza today, so maybe Leone was wrong about him attending and it was only training camp where he'd be participating?
Anyone stand out from the FA invites today?

07-11-2011, 06:33 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
It sounds like they really want to find a spot for Sjogren in this article. All the talk about him being defensively sound and physically mature.

Then again it sounds like there might be only one spot open. At least for the first part of the season.
Unless he's a ******* Moron he's going to win it. It's not even worth contemplating IMHO.

Old
07-11-2011, 07:36 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Unless he's a ******* Moron he's going to win it. It's not even worth contemplating IMHO.
The only thing that would make it interesting is if he's willing to play in the AHL...in that case it really would be an open competition between Sjogren and Eakin.

Actually, that assumes that Sjogren is waiver exempt, I'm assuming he is, but I've learned not to assume when talking about the CBA.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think Eakin will need to be a C so he can use his skating to his advantage. At wing, he is going to be in a lot of board battles, probably not used to his strengths. We rolled MJ at C with no Hershey time, we can do the same with Eakin.

A new look based on Eakin scoring 2 goals in preseason aka wowing.

Ovi MJ Brouwer
Laich Backstrom Semin
Chimera Eakin Knuble
Hendricks Halpern Ward

Big wingers for the kids
Ward on the 4th line is just absurd. Other than that I like the lineup. I think Brouwer at least has to be tried with one of the top 2 lines.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Ovechkin-MoJo-Knuble
Brouwer-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-Sjogren-Ward
Chimera-Halpern-Beagle
Hendricks

Wouldn't mind to see it =)

EDIT:

OV-NB-Semin
Laich-MJ-Knuble
Brouwer-SJo-Ward

Last edited by Raikkonen: 07-12-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote