HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

St Johns Nickname (Mod edit - Rumored to be Ice Caps)

Old
07-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNL View Post
It does seem strange that True North would lease their AHL club to Danny Williams if he is so out of touch with the supporters. True North seems all about character and listening to what the people want. That article suggests that Mr. Williams will impose an unpopular name on the club because he can.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
It does seem strange that True North would lease their AHL club to Danny Williams if he is so out of touch with the supporters. True North seems all about character and listening to what the people want. That article suggests that Mr. Williams will impose an unpopular name on the club because he can.

I hate the name but it appears Ice Caps it is.I'm trying to convince myself the name is good...

Last edited by Canadienjet: 07-14-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:09 AM
PaulSedin
#lydia2012

they are naming it afte the st. johns minor hockey acociation the caps

PaulSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Rocko604

I hope Tim Horton's sues them. What a stupid ****ing name.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:03 AM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
I hope Tim Horton's sues them. What a stupid ****ing name.
Tim Hortons can't because they sell Iced Caps, not Ice Caps. I don't really like the name, but I am a supporter of the Whitecaps so it would be hypocritical to say the name sucks .

My home town has hockey again the name is not that important to me.

Last edited by finchster: 07-17-2011 at 05:11 AM.
finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:29 PM
SeaToby

Its Danny's money, he can call the team whatever he wants. If all of you can agree to one name one hundred percent, than you might have the right to tar and feather him out of town. But since you can't agree one hundred percent to a name, Danny holds the trump card.

Of all of the team naming contests with all of the new teams in all of the sports, not one name has won the affection of all of the fans. Not one. With many contests the winning name didn't even get twenty five percent of the votes.

Frankly the NHL hasn't done much better either. Who would have named Vancouver the Canucks. Edmonton the Oilers, Calgary the Flames, Winnipeg the Jets, Toronto the Maple Leafs, and Montreal the Canadiens? Not many of you...

SeaToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Great One

I don't necessarily hate the name "Ice Caps" but to be honest the fact that it resembles the Tim Horton's product is enough to turn me away from the name. For those who say that this shouldn't be an issue because one is spelled "ICED" whereas the other is spelled "ICE", can you really tell me that as soon as you heard the name the first thing that popped in your head wasn't the Tim Horton's beverage?

I am a resident of St. John's and all i've been hearing throughout the city is negative feedback about this name. It seems the majority of not only the city but province in general is totally against it and in my honest opinion it would be just a slap in the face for all the hockey fans eager to cheer on the franchise. After all, aren't we the ones who will be supporting this team with regards to revenue and ticket sales? Personally, even if they do go with Ice Caps it won't prevent me from attending as many games as possible and supporting this team any way i can. In fact, i think you could name the team the St. John's Turds and they'd still manage to fill the seats, but seeing as how we'll be the ones keeping this team above water it would just make much more sense to name the team something the majority of us (i know you can't please us all), would agree to. IMO you can't go wrong by naming the franchise the "Jets". This name got some significance in hockey history and i'd be proud to make the trip to mile one to cheer on the St. John's Jets.

Last edited by Great One: 07-17-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
malcb33

Don't worry, they be know as them Hi'ce Caps around here anyways!

malcb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Vatchern

Honestly, the name to me is not important as long as we get a packed house at mile one every night with great hockey.

Cant wait for Connecticut Whales to come to town!

Vatchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:56 PM
kento19
@kento19

It was said last week that It should be announced next week(which is now this week) hopefully Danny did this on purpose. To see what fans really think of the name so they can choose. According to the local sportspage website, they have already delayed the deadline with reebok

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Great One

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/20...go-this-week/1

So it looks like it's getting closer to becoming official. We will be known as the Ice Caps. I thought we dropped the ball when we called our Junior team the Fog Devils, but this really takes the cake. What really disappoints me is that the majority of the feedback from the province have been very negative towards the name. It seems like everyone is against it. Shouldn't Danny Williams and True North take this into account and realize that we, the fans, will be the ones filling the seats and putting money into this franchise and at least consider us when deciding on a name.

I guess i should stop complaining and just be happy to have high caliber hockey back in Newfoundland, but in all honesty, there's a part of me that can't help but be disappointed if we do actually go with this name.

GO "EYE SCABS" GO!!!

Old
07-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Younghockey94

I honestly think that "Ice Caps" isn't a bad name. It isn't the greatest name to call a hockey team but I can live with it.

Younghockey94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:26 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
No skin off my back, but I still don't see why anyone would go through with a team name that a) sucks and b) is obviously not very popular.

I remember a few years back when there were rumors that my hometown of Champaign might be getting an independent baseball team (for naught, unfortunately). The name I came up with was the Orange Sox, as I thought that would be a good name to fit the area. Literally everyone I mentioned it to thought it was a horrible idea for a name though, so I quickly realized that maybe my choice in name ideas isn't best for everyone.

Doesn't seem like Williams has learned that lesson, for some reason.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
No skin off my back, but I still don't see why anyone would go through with a team name that a) sucks and b) is obviously not very popular.

I remember a few years back when there were rumors that my hometown of Champaign might be getting an independent baseball team (for naught, unfortunately). The name I came up with was the Orange Sox, as I thought that would be a good name to fit the area. Literally everyone I mentioned it to thought it was a horrible idea for a name though, so I quickly realized that maybe my choice in name ideas isn't best for everyone.

Doesn't seem like Williams has learned that lesson, for some reason.

Not sure how familiar you are with the province of Newfoundland or Danny Williams in general but Williams was, not too long ago, Premier of our province. During this time we quickly realized that "Danny" as we liked to call him, is a very stubborn man and thoroughly enjoys getting what he wants and getting his own way. As Premier, this really worked to his advantage as well as the people of Newfoundland and Labrador because IMO Williams became the greatest leader in the history of our province. My point in all this rambling is that if Danny wants this team to be called the "Ice Caps", then it don't really matter what anyone else thinks, he'll do whatever it takes for this team to become the "Ice Caps". I don't agree with it because i'd like the people who actually fill the seats to have some say in the matter, but like i said before, with Danny, it don't really matter what i or anyone else think.

Old
07-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Trevor3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
Not sure how familiar you are with the province of Newfoundland or Danny Williams in general but Williams was, not too long ago, Premier of our province. During this time we quickly realized that "Danny" as we liked to call him, is a very stubborn man and thoroughly enjoys getting what he wants and getting his own way. As Premier, this really worked to his advantage as well as the people of Newfoundland and Labrador because IMO Williams became the greatest leader in the history of our province. My point in all this rambling is that if Danny wants this team to be called the "Ice Caps", then it don't really matter what anyone else thinks, he'll do whatever it takes for this team to become the "Ice Caps". I don't agree with it because i'd like the people who actually fill the seats to have some say in the matter, but like i said before, with Danny, it don't really matter what i or anyone else think.
Correct. There is a reason many felt like we were living under a dictatorship, whatever this guy wants is what he gets (so it seems). He wants the Ice Caps, we're watching the Ice Caps.

I don't agree that he's the greatest leader in the history of the province but this is not a political thread so I will leave it at that. What nobody can deny is that the guy is stubborn and is going to go with what he wants, Ice Caps.

Also, it seems that Rogers will be broadcasting home games locally. This means Ice Cap games will be available on cable in St. John's, Gander and Corner Brook (ie: the 3 markets serviced by Rogers).

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:33 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
I don't think anyone should feel too strongly either way about the name until there is a jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
I don't necessarily hate the name "Ice Caps" but to be honest the fact that it resembles the Tim Horton's product is enough to turn me away from the name. For those who say that this shouldn't be an issue because one is spelled "ICED" whereas the other is spelled "ICE", can you really tell me that as soon as you heard the name the first thing that popped in your head wasn't the Tim Horton's beverage?
I think this is directed towards me

Honestly I didn't, I thought "Whitecaps" as in the Vancouver soccer team, I don't go to Tim Hortons at all. (Yes I am the minority)

Last edited by finchster: 07-27-2011 at 03:54 PM.
finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:57 AM
VikingNL

St. John's IceCaps confirmed.

VikingNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:15 AM
sarahjane14

The logo's pretty good. There's also a little map of Newfoundland hidden there, which I didn't notice until someone pointed it out. Now its painfully obvious.

sarahjane14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
VikingNL

Newfoundland and Labrador both.

VikingNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Speed

They'll have the same grammar police issue the IceCats had..
Not Icecats. Not Ice Cats..

Speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Love that color scheme. I wish more teams would use a dark blue with a light blue. Look great together.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:02 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjane14 View Post

The logo's pretty good. There's also a little map of Newfoundland hidden there, which I didn't notice until someone pointed it out. Now its painfully obvious.
The white part also scrawls out an N and L. Pretty cool logo and name if you ask me.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
StrictlyCommercial

I'm surprised the logo wasn't this:

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:52 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I'm surprised the logo wasn't this:

as somebody who found this joke hilarious a few months ago, i can say it's old now.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 04:00 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
It's going to be a shame when global warming melts all the (polar) ice caps....

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote