HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Sign Grant Clitsome to 2 Year Deal

Old
06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 500

Is this a one-way or two-way deal?

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Cujorulesdtown9
It's Not A Rebuild

Woo! glad to have him back!

Cujorulesdtown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:15 PM
knucklepuck28

it's a one way deal.

knucklepuck28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
I really like Clitsome and am very happy that he has been re-signed. But I've seen this too often lately when as soon as Howson signs someone to a contract they stop progressing and we wonder why they are making so much for what they offer. I really hope Grant breaks the tradition.
If it's subject to the usual level of analysis and judgment as most of those "evaluations", then I can all but guarantee that Clitsome will be considered the disappointment of the year.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:09 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Russell I would like to see coming back, although this signing is setting up for a potential Carle for Russell + swap imo. Don't like it, but I guess I could live with that.
Not a huge Carle fan, but if that's the core of the deal I could suffer with it... Meaning, ok where do I sign?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:58 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post

In a related story, jokes about Grant Clitsome's name to continue for another 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Clitter is in the fold!

www.hiyoooo.com

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Russell I would like to see coming back, although this signing is setting up for a potential Carle for Russell + swap imo. Don't like it, but I guess I could live with that.
To reiterate my point on these two - I don't see enough of an upgrade from Russ to Carle for the extra salary. If it needs to happen to balance out something larger, I guess maybe.

Do I need to remind everyone that my daughter just got her #10 jersey for Christmas?

Old
06-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Posted this on the main boards thread 'bout this resigning, but I figured I might as well depress folks here too.

Anyways. In case anyone ever had any doubt just how g-d awful Doug MacLean was as GM here... Clitsome, taken in the 9th round of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, represents, out of 11 draft picks by the Jackets:
  • the only player currently in the NHL
  • the only player to score any goals at the NHL level
  • one of two players to ever score any points at the NHL level (with 22; Picard has 2 assists)
  • one of two players to play more than 5 games at the NHL level (with 42; Picard has 67)
  • one of two players to show any real success at the NHL level at all (LaCosta had that shutout of San Jose before going back to the AHL and falling apart).
But, y'see, it's all okay because he drafted Rick Nash two years earlier.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:50 AM
ACABrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Posted this on the main boards thread 'bout this resigning, but I figured I might as well depress folks here too.

Anyways. In case anyone ever had any doubt just how g-d awful Doug MacLean was as GM here... Clitsome, taken in the 9th round of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, represents, out of 11 draft picks by the Jackets:
  • one of two players to ever score any points at the NHL level (with 22; Picard has 2 assists)
  • one of two players to play more than 5 games at the NHL level (with 42; Picard has 67)
  • one of two players to show any real success at the NHL level at all (LaCosta had that shutout of San Jose before going back to the AHL and falling apart).
Those are some sad facts, but he might become that diamond in the ruff going in the 9th round. Also I think he got the right kind of development as a player moving up through the ranks. I really hope he has a great impact this year. He is the type of player that Arneil needs for his system to work.

ACABrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:17 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
To reiterate my point on these two - I don't see enough of an upgrade from Russ to Carle for the extra salary. If it needs to happen to balance out something larger, I guess maybe.

Do I need to remind everyone that my daughter just got her #10 jersey for Christmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not a huge Carle fan, but if that's the core of the deal I could suffer with it... Meaning, ok where do I sign?
I would say there is nobody on this board that thinks as little of Carle and Meszaros as myself. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if Howson views Carle as a legitimate upgrade on Russell and Flyers enjoy the 2+ million cap relief.

Quote:

Usually when I see the words depressing and MacLean, the word Kopitar is hiding somewhere.

Its hard to really complain too much about Howson drafting compared to what has happened before(besides Nash which was a no brainer).

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACABrad View Post
Those are some sad facts, but he might become that diamond in the ruff going in the 9th round. Also I think he got the right kind of development as a player moving up through the ranks. I really hope he has a great impact this year. He is the type of player that Arneil needs for his system to work.

The time of GMDM is a litany of sad facts.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
I would say there is nobody on this board that thinks as little of Carle and Meszaros as myself. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if Howson views Carle as a legitimate upgrade on Russell and Flyers enjoy the 2+ million cap relief.

I just don't see that Russel is ever going to be much more than he is right now. And Carle seems to have just that much more of an offensive upside and a little more size. Don't think PHI will let go of Meszaros.

But then have never claimed to have be an extensive knowledge of talent, just an opinion.

Old
06-11-2011, 09:48 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post

The wily veteran, Craig McDonald?

Old
06-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
The wily veteran, Craig McDonald?
Serge Aubin.

06-11-2011, 11:00 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Serge Aubin.
haha..I have one of his helmets

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
I just don't see that Russel is ever going to be much more than he is right now. And Carle seems to have just that much more of an offensive upside and a little more size. Don't think PHI will let go of Meszaros.

But then have never claimed to have be an extensive knowledge of talent, just an opinion.
Right now I would say Russell is at the very least a #6 NHL defenseman, more than likely a #5. There are plenty of defenseman that don't really find their game until 25 +. After watching the Cup Finals, Dennis Seidenberg is one that pops to mind.

Carle managed to have 1 goal with a dynamic Philadelphia team, while almost a -10 in the playoffs without Pronger as a defense partner. I realize he did get 39 assists, but secondary assists are easier to come by on a juggernaught team like Philadephia.

I'm not a GM either, but the amount of red flags I see almost makes me think Russell would outperform Carle on that team.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
There are plenty of defenseman that don't really find their game until 25 +.
I think Clitsome is a good example for the truth of this statement. I remember last summer, there were posts during the "Best CBJ Prospects Summer '10" poll complaining that Clitsome had been voted here as the #10 prospect in the organization. I mean at 25, he must clearly have had already reached his ceiling...

He's made it to the NHL the hard way (not unlike Derek MacKenzie), and I congratulate him on getting a payday.

Now, don't let us down Grant - keep pushing ahead!

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Right now I would say Russell is at the very least a #6 NHL defenseman, more than likely a #5. There are plenty of defenseman that don't really find their game until 25 +. After watching the Cup Finals, Dennis Seidenberg is one that pops to mind.

Carle managed to have 1 goal with a dynamic Philadelphia team, while almost a -10 in the playoffs without Pronger as a defense partner. I realize he did get 39 assists, but secondary assists are easier to come by on a juggernaught team like Philadephia.

I'm not a GM either, but the amount of red flags I see almost makes me think Russell would outperform Carle on that team.
That's just why I don't want to give up Russell for him. I still think he has a good chance of performing well next to Methot, and if he doesn't, we only have one year to regret.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I think Clitsome is a good example for the truth of this statement. I remember last summer, there were posts during the "Best CBJ Prospects Summer '10" poll complaining that Clitsome had been voted here as the #10 prospect in the organization. I mean at 25, he must clearly have had already reached his ceiling...

He's made it to the NHL the hard way (not unlike Derek MacKenzie), and I congratulate him on getting a payday.

Now, don't let us down Grant - keep pushing ahead!
Honestly, I'm still extremely skeptical, and if we were rating guys today I'd repeat that sort of complaint. That said, I already think I've been proven at least partly wrong by one of our D prospects in Methot, and I wouldn't mind Clitsome doing much the same if not better.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
That's just why I don't want to give up Russell for him. I still think he has a good chance of performing well next to Methot, and if he doesn't, we only have one year to regret.
Of course, giving up Russell for Campbell would be your exception, right?

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:

It is entirely possible that you are right. As I said I certainly do not profess to be an expert, and I can't say what exactly makes me feel this way but it is a feeling I can't shake. Hey, if we keep Russel and don't get Carle that's OK too. So long as there are other moves to makeover the blue line.

Seidenberg was mentioned of interest when he went to Boston, now there's one of those "wish we had done that".

Old
06-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
2 more years of rehashed jokes for us all.

Clitsome jokes have overpassed the Darth Vader as Nashville joke i'm most tired of in CBJ-Land.

Hopefully he breaks the mold of "Young-Guy-Howson-Extends-and-he-disappoints" and makes dealing with all the tee-hee jokes worth it

Matthew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 03:35 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
2 more years of rehashed jokes for us all.

Clitsome jokes have overpassed the Darth Vader as Nashville joke i'm most tired of in CBJ-Land.

Hopefully he breaks the mold of "Young-Guy-Howson-Extends-and-he-disappoints" and makes dealing with all the tee-hee jokes worth it
At least, for once, Howson didn't seem to massively overpay.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Of course, giving up Russell for Campbell would be your exception, right?
Well, naturally. Campbell would actually be an upgrade.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:53 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
At least, for once, Howson didn't seem to massively overpay.
At first glance, it does look like a decent overpay. But for a defenseman who scored 19 points in 31 games, if they offered him an lowball 800k contract I'm sure he could have gotten fair bit more on the open market.

It shows that a player waived his UFA rights to stay with Columbus, which is a positive sign.