HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

What about Peca?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2004, 08:35 PM
  #1
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2
 
Tap on the Ankle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 500
What about Peca?

I seem to remember the Isles wanting to trade Peca to us some time ago. We didn't need him at the time, though. But now that Bonk is gone, we could use a guy like him. Peca is a defensive specialist, reliable in the face-off circle, gritty, and a natural leader. The downsides are that he is somewhat injury prone and he is considered a dirty player (though that's not always a bad thing). His play has somewhat deteriorated in the last couple years, but that means he might come cheap, and a change of scenery may do him good. What do you guys think?

I have no idea what the Isles would want in return for their captain, but maybe some Isles fans that happen to read this can fill us in on what they would expect in a deal for Peca.

Tap on the Ankle is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 09:03 PM
  #2
hb6947
Hooked Since '78
 
hb6947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bellmore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
His value isn't what it was when we got him but he won't come as cheap as you think and here's why. His play toward the end of last year began to rebound and he began to produce @ a pretty good pace. His poor play the year before and early last year was a combo of the length of time it took for him to rebound from his injuries and it's effect on his style of play. He is still valuable to this team if we can fill holes buy moving salary in other areas, but that remains to be seen.
I agree with you in your thinking a deal is not out of the question. Here's the problem, we need either a physical d-man that can play top 4 min. or a scoring winger to play with Yashin. This is usually where the deal dies, @ least on these boards.

hb6947 is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 09:27 PM
  #3
Sting
Registered User
 
Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
When we are trying to trade someone, the names that will always come up are Spezza, Havlat and Volchenkov. We can't afford to give these guys up. Peca is not worth any of those guys, but at the same time...there isn't really anyone who 'equals' his value. He brings a lot to the table, but he has been quite inconsistent.

Sting is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 10:21 PM
  #4
hb6947
Hooked Since '78
 
hb6947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bellmore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Given the speed and playmaking ability or your wingers Peca is a better fit for your team then the Isles. Honestly I don't know what you think Havlat is going to get for his next contract but if you ask me I think Havlat and Volchenkov for Peca and Blake MIGHT be of interest to both teams.Just remember when looking @ blake here, realize he is one of our most productive, hard working smart players, playing with guys that don't see the ice as well as he does. He is what makes his line go. He also hits everything that moves and takes top players off their game. You can send him over the boards in every situation and his offensive ceiling has not been reached yet. (Just so you know I have season tickets so I get to see his play off camera 41 times a year.)

hb6947 is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 10:27 PM
  #5
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2
 
Tap on the Ankle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 500
Not much interest in Blake for me. There really isn't much I'd like off of the Isles except Peca. Mad Mike would probably only trade him for roster players, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would take picks & prospects, at least not at this point.

Tap on the Ankle is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 10:36 PM
  #6
hb6947
Hooked Since '78
 
hb6947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bellmore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
You right on that one the Isles don't need PIcks or prospects and that where the deal usually dies. The reason I bring up Blake is because on a fox broadcast when we played you guys Muckler asked Howie Rose about Blake. The way Howie made it sound there was some intrest on his part.
Just out of curiousity why no interest in Blake? On our team he's good with you guys He'd be an impact player.

hb6947 is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 10:48 PM
  #7
hb6947
Hooked Since '78
 
hb6947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bellmore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
To tell you the truth I'm really only interested in Havlat, as he is truely the piece we need to play with Yashin. Peca's salary is such that I fear there is not much else we could add to the deal that would fit your needs and even out the deal. I mentioned Blake b/c on the Sens he'd playon your first line. He dosen't do it here b/c he and Yashin don't see eye to eye so to speak.

hb6947 is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 11:37 PM
  #8
operasen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,965
vCash: 500
Peca would be fine on our 3rd line, but we have Fisher there and he's quite fine thank you. Peca is (very) overpaid for what he brings. His broken body has seen the wars. He's a great spirit and probably feisty in the dressing room, but we do not need that.

The body you want to play with Yashin (beside Carol Ault) is Samsonov. Peca to the bruins for Samsonov I could see.

operasen is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:15 AM
  #9
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen
Peca would be fine on our 3rd line, but we have Fisher there and he's quite fine thank you. Peca is (very) overpaid for what he brings. His broken body has seen the wars. He's a great spirit and probably feisty in the dressing room, but we do not need that.

The body you want to play with Yashin (beside Carol Ault) is Samsonov. Peca to the bruins for Samsonov I could see.
I see Peca as a 2nd line center, even here in Ottawa.

From a Sens POV I would give up Smolinski and DeVries for Peca, but not one of our core players.

Safir* is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:07 AM
  #10
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor
 
EJsens1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947
but if you ask me I think Havlat and Volchenkov for Peca and Blake MIGHT be of interest to both teams.
Somehow, I don't see that happening at all!!!

EJsens1 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:12 AM
  #11
chara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
I seem to remember the Isles wanting to trade Peca to us some time ago. We didn't need him at the time, though. But now that Bonk is gone, we could use a guy like him. Peca is a defensive specialist, reliable in the face-off circle, gritty, and a natural leader. The downsides are that he is somewhat injury prone and he is considered a dirty player (though that's not always a bad thing). His play has somewhat deteriorated in the last couple years, but that means he might come cheap, and a change of scenery may do him good. What do you guys think?

I have no idea what the Isles would want in return for their captain, but maybe some Isles fans that happen to read this can fill us in on what they would expect in a deal for Peca.
Fish is becoming a Mike Peca type more and more every game. IMO, if Fish plays a full year last year, he would have got somes votes for the Selke, perhaps not enough for a nomination but enough to warrant future consideration.

chara is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:01 AM
  #12
SENSational
Registered User
 
SENSational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
OMG I had a dream yesterday that Peca was on the sens.

SENSational is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 05:39 PM
  #13
hb6947
Hooked Since '78
 
hb6947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bellmore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
The Only reason this is even a consideration in my mind is b/c of Mucklers public comments about his feelings for Havlat. I don't know if thats still the case, he may have had a change of heart, but if he hasn't and he is still looking for "a different type of leadership" then Peca is your guy.
Peca is not happy here because MM publically questioned his commitment shortly after being hurt. Poor move by the big mouth but we're use to that by now. From an Isles point of view moving Peca to Ott. is crazy. If it happened you can buy your tix to the cup finals. But we're desperate for Havlat's skills and speed, so sometimes you rob Peter to pay Paul.

As far as him being similar to Fisher, I see that as working to your advantage. Fisher has speed and can pass. Playing on Peca's LW, The Sens will do what they have been trying to do for the last two years.......Shut teams down!

Besides having two great face off men wouldn't hurt either. But I understand how hard it is to think about trading a player like Havlat. Believe me as an Isles fan I know what trading a great player for off ice reasons is like.

hb6947 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 05:51 PM
  #14
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor
 
EJsens1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947
The Only reason this is even a consideration in my mind is b/c of Mucklers public comments about his feelings for Havlat. I don't know if thats still the case, he may have had a change of heart, but if he hasn't and he is still looking for "a different type of leadership" then Peca is your guy.
Peca is not happy here because MM publically questioned his commitment shortly after being hurt. Poor move by the big mouth but we're use to that by now. From an Isles point of view moving Peca to Ott. is crazy. If it happened you can buy your tix to the cup finals. But we're desperate for Havlat's skills and speed, so sometimes you rob Peter to pay Paul.

As far as him being similar to Fisher, I see that as working to your advantage. Fisher has speed and can pass. Playing on Peca's LW, The Sens will do what they have been trying to do for the last two years.......Shut teams down!

Besides having two great face off men wouldn't hurt either. But I understand how hard it is to think about trading a player like Havlat. Believe me as an Isles fan I know what trading a great player for off ice reasons is like.
To be honest, dealing with Havlat's antics last fall is nothing new to us in terms of negeotiations. We've had a handful of players at one point sitting out. Yashin, Alfredsson, Rachunek, Havlat and I'm sure someone else has at one point.

EJsens1 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 07:04 PM
  #15
Spezza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa <-> Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Let Fisher do it. This isn't the Sabres Alumni club

Spezza is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 10:45 AM
  #16
chara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza
Let Fisher do it. This isn't the Sabres Alumni club
Precisely.

Besides Mucks won't trade for a Peca or anyone else until he sees his team struggle and that might not be for a long, long while.

chara is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 11:23 AM
  #17
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947
Given the speed and playmaking ability or your wingers Peca is a better fit for your team then the Isles. Honestly I don't know what you think Havlat is going to get for his next contract but if you ask me I think Havlat and Volchenkov for Peca and Blake MIGHT be of interest to both teams.Just remember when looking @ blake here, realize he is one of our most productive, hard working smart players, playing with guys that don't see the ice as well as he does. He is what makes his line go. He also hits everything that moves and takes top players off their game. You can send him over the boards in every situation and his offensive ceiling has not been reached yet. (Just so you know I have season tickets so I get to see his play off camera 41 times a year.)
Havlat and Volchenkov for Peca and Blake is a big overpayment on the Sens part.

and I'm guessing the isles will find a stronger market for their rfa defensemen(Aucoin or Hamrlik), then for a defensive forward.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 11:25 AM
  #18
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
I see Peca as a 2nd line center, even here in Ottawa.

From a Sens POV I would give up Smolinski and DeVries for Peca, but not one of our core players.

Smolinski in an ex-isles and they wouldn't take him back off waivers.

and no interest in the Devries when the isles want to get younger,cheaper on the blueline.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 11:33 AM
  #19
The Lehner
#LehnerTime
 
The Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,331
vCash: 500
I admire Mike Peca a great deal for his tenacity and heart...but I think he is finished. He had too small a frame for the style he played and I think he's done.

The Lehner is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 01:02 PM
  #20
7bucs
Registered User
 
7bucs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ..when Darcy is gone
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
I admire Mike Peca a great deal for his tenacity and heart...but I think he is finished. He had too small a frame for the style he played and I think he's done.
Let's hold off on the retirement party.

He still has a lot to offer, his days of 25 goals may be over b/c of his style of play, but 10-15 goals/40-50 points per year added on to the leadership and defensive abilities he does provide will keep him in the league for many more years, and will make him valuable. It all depends on the role he is playing on the team.

7bucs is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 01:32 PM
  #21
hb6947
Hooked Since '78
 
hb6947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bellmore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Havlat and Vol...what ever his name is, is over payment, but in negotiations you shoot for the stars and come down to earth. If considered by Ottawa to be the players they need, from an Isles stand point Peca and Blake is what I thought would be what Ott. would want for Havlat. I could be wrong and it appears from the comments made here that as fans they would not like to see their core players moved. The question is can Ottawa afford to keep this player and get themselves deeper in the playoffs with other players they can obtain without giving up a player like Havlat? By changing goalies Probably. But he is old and does have a history of injury problems that end most goalies careers and GM's are in the business to ensure that regardless what happens to his players there is enough balance and depth that his team will win the cup. Especially when your as good as the Sens.

hb6947 is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 01:35 PM
  #22
The Lehner
#LehnerTime
 
The Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bucs
Let's hold off on the retirement party.

He still has a lot to offer, his days of 25 goals may be over b/c of his style of play, but 10-15 goals/40-50 points per year added on to the leadership and defensive abilities he does provide will keep him in the league for many more years, and will make him valuable. It all depends on the role he is playing on the team.

For $4.5 million you would take that?

The Lehner is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 01:57 PM
  #23
hb6947
Hooked Since '78
 
hb6947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bellmore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
I think that he can definitly do 20 goals on the Sens and 60pts. I'm sure we could eat a Little salary if it was a deal breaker, b/c we over paid to get him to what was and sometimes still resembles a deserted island.

hb6947 is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 02:02 PM
  #24
7bucs
Registered User
 
7bucs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ..when Darcy is gone
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
For $4.5 million you would take that?
At the time that deal was offered to him, he was a 20-25 goal scorer. If the Sens signed him to that same deal the Isles offered, I wouldn't have a problem with it for what Peca would bring to this team. It might have stopped guys like Smolinski getting paid in excess of $2M.

If you were asking if I would sign Peca to $4.5M right now if he was a UFA, probably not. I also don't think he would command that much, now that he isn't potting 20 goals per year. I'd give him around $3M per...

7bucs is offline  
Old
07-14-2004, 02:19 PM
  #25
The Lehner
#LehnerTime
 
The Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,331
vCash: 500
Peca is not a UFA as far as I know. If we trade for him we get his big fat $4.5M price tag.

Peca is not the player he was. Peca 3 years ago is exactly the type of heart and soul player the Sens sorely needed against the Leafs last year (although I'm sure Tucker would have cheapshoted him). I think there are better, more cost effective options that Muckler can and should explore...he's way overpaid for what he brings to the table today.

The Lehner is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.