HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Group offered $500 million for Hawks/Philips Arena/Thrashers on May 20

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2011, 04:08 PM
  #1
headsigh
leave at once!
 
headsigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 9,868
vCash: 500
Group offered $500 million for Hawks/Philips Arena/Thrashers on May 20

Kind of strange that it didn't go through. Obviously, it's too late now, but if anything Bettman/ASG should at least explain for some closure.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:27 PM
  #2
Juzmo
dont google me
 
Juzmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: here
Country: Finland
Posts: 37,525
vCash: 690
Nice to hear...

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:32 PM
  #3
Potrzebie
Registered User
 
Potrzebie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 938
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
Kind of strange that it didn't go through. Obviously, it's too late now, but if anything Bettman/ASG should at least explain for some closure.
May 20th, you say? Maybe because the Thrashers were no longer for sale? The Globe and Mail was reporting on May 19th that the TNSE deal was "done".

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:37 PM
  #4
SilverRiver89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 2,213
vCash: 500
Already talking about this in the ownership news thread. Apparently "a source" says the report isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZ123 View Post
May 20th, you say? Maybe because the Thrashers were no longer for sale? The Globe and Mail was reporting on May 19th that the TNSE deal was "done".
According to Waddell, the Thrashers are still locally "for sale" until the BOG vote.

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:51 PM
  #5
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.
 
Wonko the Sane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Outside the Asylum
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiver89 View Post
Already talking about this in the ownership news thread. Apparently "a source" says the report isn't true.

According to Waddell, the Thrashers are still locally "for sale" until the BOG vote.
The bolded wasn't true when he said it, and it isn't true now. I have no idea why he trotted out and said that, or who put him up to it, but I think it's obvious now that this was a Bettmanesque level of lie (except Bettman would have left so much wiggle room that you would never have known what he said in the first place).

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:18 PM
  #6
Jaffray15
Registered User
 
Jaffray15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jaffray15 Send a message via MSN to Jaffray15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiver89 View Post
Already talking about this in the ownership news thread. Apparently "a source" says the report isn't true.

According to Waddell, the Thrashers are still locally "for sale" until the BOG vote.
I almost pissed myself laughing when I read this. Does Waddell really think that theres still a chance that the team wont move?

What a complete utter joke!!!

Jaffray15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:19 PM
  #7
chipper
Thrashers forever
 
chipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to chipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffray15 View Post
I almost pissed myself laughing when I read this. Does Waddell really think that theres still a chance that the team wont move?

What a complete utter joke!!!
Unfortunately, it's all we've got to cling to, so we'll cling. I've already accepted the inevitable... but still. I'm rooting for a miracle in the name of Manon Rheaume to come down and buy this godforsaken team.

chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:42 PM
  #8
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,864
vCash: 500
once again proving that the fix was in...**** everybody

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:49 PM
  #9
netminder17
Registered User
 
netminder17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
once again proving that the fix was in...**** everybody
Exactly, it's all ********. This league is run by clowns, it's ****ing pathetic.

netminder17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:12 PM
  #10
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 11,558
vCash: 436
This is disgusting. **** the NHL.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:36 PM
  #11
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 500
So many of you are screaming "**** the NHL", like we did 15 years ago, however I suspect that when the anger subsides, most of you will continue to follow it in one form or another and spend your hard earned money on NHL memorabilia, much like we have.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:05 PM
  #12
chipper
Thrashers forever
 
chipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to chipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So many of you are screaming "**** the NHL", like we did 15 years ago, however I suspect that when the anger subsides, most of you will continue to follow it in one form or another and spend your hard earned money on NHL memorabilia, much like we have.
I don't know about most people. I know I will, but down here, the way the economy has been, NHL memorabilia isn't the most popular thing, unfortunately.

chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:22 PM
  #13
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
The bolded wasn't true when he said it, and it isn't true now. I have no idea why he trotted out and said that, or who put him up to it, but I think it's obvious now that this was a Bettmanesque level of lie (except Bettman would have left so much wiggle room that you would never have known what he said in the first place).
Actually, it's the first correct thing Waddell has said in years.

I hold no illusions that some white knight is going to swoop down out of the sky, riding on a three headed dragon that he tamed with pure ambrosia, and drop a pile of money on the desk of Gary Bettman to buy The Thrashers. However, the team is still officially (albeit very quietly) for sale.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:26 PM
  #14
chipper
Thrashers forever
 
chipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to chipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Actually, it's the first correct thing Waddell has said in years.

I hold no illusions that some white knight is going to swoop down out of the sky, riding on a three headed dragon that he tamed with pure ambrosia, and drop a pile of money on the desk of Gary Bettman to buy The Thrashers. However, the team is still officially (albeit very quietly) for sale.
This is true, he's right. Don't count out Atlanta Spirit doing something unbelievable, fwiw. It's ATLANTA SPIRIT. Don't EVER forget that.

chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:02 PM
  #15
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,301
vCash: 500
It would have been much better if this had gone down cleanly. So many rumors about other bids, plus this one looking (right now) like it has legs, makes the deal a lot dirtier and less easy to accept. This is no reflection on TNSE, but more on ASG and NHL. ASG cannot even sell the Thrashers without it being tainted and unclean.

I hope the NHL forces an investigation into this, since these people are going on the record with their claims about their bid and their commitment to stand by it. I fully understand the league is ready to invite TNSE into the club and get this over with, but maybe they will do their due diligence and make sure it goes down cleanly.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:51 PM
  #16
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,779
vCash: 500
As an outsider reading that article, it sounds like the group is mainly interested in acquiring the Hawks and Phillips, and only put in the bid on all three because until the Thrash were sold that was the only option.

Just reading between the lines, if that deal had gone through, I suspect the new owners would have still flipped the Thrashers to TNSE. Instead, they just waited until the Thrash were gone, and then will submit a lower bid for the Hawks.

but it still sucks to have an article like that tear the scab off the wound...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:37 PM
  #17
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So many of you are screaming "**** the NHL", like we did 15 years ago, however I suspect that when the anger subsides, most of you will continue to follow it in one form or another and spend your hard earned money on NHL memorabilia, much like we have.
Gee, it's almost like they have a monopoly on the best talent in the world and we have no other choice, thanks for the insight!

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 04:25 PM
  #18
Tony O
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So many of you are screaming "**** the NHL", like we did 15 years ago, however I suspect that when the anger subsides, most of you will continue to follow it in one form or another and spend your hard earned money on NHL memorabilia, much like we have.
No, they won’t be buying NHL memorabilia or spending hard earned on the NHL. You see, this is what many Canadian’s don’t get. In a city as vast and as heavily populated as Atlanta, there are multiple entertainment/sports options. Hockey and the NHL will be long forgotten by the general public, and therefore no exposure to new fans. In light of this article, this bitter pill has just become even more unpleasant. The Atlanta fans should be pissed, but the reality is (in the long-term) the NHL just ***** themselves.

Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 04:55 PM
  #19
hockey eh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
This I think is becoming the most tiring argument of the Thrashers leaving. I understand that you guys are upset that you lost your team but just because hockey is pulling out of markets that are failing such as Atlanta and possibly Phoenix in the near future doesn't mean the league is doomed. I know lots of people like to believe that their particular location in the world is the most relevant but the fact of the matter is there are 6 closing in on 7 billion people in the world. Some will like hockey and some won't. Atlanta has proven that they don't like hockey enough to make even a break even business. Just because hockey isn't relevent in Atlanta I hate to tell you doesn't mean its an irrelevant sport other places. The US isn't the end all be all of this league.

If anything the NHL is finally realising losing 30+ million a year in some markets is whats not healthy for this league. They are retreating back into their skin and theres nothing wrong with that. Will this guarantee that it will remain 4th or 5th on the sports scene in the US? Ya probably but so what? The chances of it climbing over baseball, football and basketball were slim to begin with. If this league can have 30 franchises making money without 4-7 losing money I would say that is a more successful business. Why must the league continue to prop up markets that who knows "maybe one day just maybe" might become successful?

Yes yes i know potential fans is the obvious response. But at what point does losing tens of millions year after year demand a change in strategy? To be honest how many other business's in the world would have stuck in there as long as ASG did losing the money the way they were? Yes they were crappy owners but nothing says they have to continue losing millions for other people's hobbies. And if there were others out there who say the Atlanta hockey market in the near future was going to be a money maker they woulda have surely stepped in. This $500 million dollar bid from all signs points to a basketball and arena bid and not a hockey bid.

I'm sorry you guys lost your team. Its terrible but to say business wise its a bad move for the NHL to leave Atlanta well its just as bad business wise for any business man to invest money into a market that has shown few signs that he will get any returns.


Last edited by hockey eh: 06-11-2011 at 05:07 PM.
hockey eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:10 PM
  #20
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey eh View Post
Atlanta has proven that they don't like hockey enough to make even a break even business.
Overly simplistic view of the situation, bordering on inaccurate.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:15 PM
  #21
SilverRiver89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 2,213
vCash: 500
Yeah, let's not rewrite history. The team was profitable before ASG took control.

And no need to really have this "my market is better than your market" conversation anyway. The fact of the matter is that we're getting screwed and it's pretty obvious at this point.

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:24 PM
  #22
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey eh View Post
Yes yes i know potential fans is the obvious response. But at what point does losing tens of millions year after year demand a change in strategy?
The books have been cooked. I know they have been cooked, and I know exactly how they have been cooked. I even know how they managed to bilk their estranged parner out of millions of dollars since the lawsuit begun, because Steve Belkin was still required to make capital calls until the settlement. Shuffle the money around, and you can make an entity lose $40M a year easily.

No, the Thrashers did not lose $130M over a five year period. That is preposterous. They lost maybe $35M-45M over those five years.

Obviously, it's not my money. However, I don't find it particularly engaging for folks who've just registered new accounts to drop on in and act elitist about the sport.

Simply put, the Thrashers are gone because the NHL wanted it to happen, and went out of their way to make it happen. This has nothing to do with fan support, and everything to do with the NHL wanting this group of idiots out. They found their vehicle, and they drove it up to Winnipeg.

I'm seriously happy for you guys, no matter how much it hurts to see the Thrashers leave. However, I ask that people please stop trying to re-write history. It had been acknowledged by many journalists in Canada and the US why the Thrashers are leaving, and that is bad ownership. That is the history that is written, and by the Gods, that is the legacy these half-brained morons at the Atlanta Spirit will leave.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:27 PM
  #23
hockey eh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Really? Reported losses of $130 million over 6 years. Lets just say for fun ASG was totally lying and only lost a quarter of those reports so that puts us at $32.5 million over six years or 5 million a year. Those are still loses. I understand there is lots that goes into it such as poor ownership and siphioning money to the basketball part of the business. However just because they were poor owners doesn't mean they have to hang in there any longer to lose even more of their money that is legally theirs and it doesn't mean the Thrashers proved to be a break even business.

I know there are conspiracies that there was some kinda fix that ASG wanted to sell this team to True North the whole time but those are silly considering True Norths been focused on other teams such as Phoenix and Nashville through out the years as well. This has for the most part been acknowledged by True North. They woulda took any team. And until Glendales city council decided to rob the city reserves it woulda been Phoenix this year and not Atlanta relocating leaving ASG in the wind. Which makes it seem more then a little rediculous to assume ASG only pinned its hopes on True North to take the team off its hands. And if they were pinning there hopes only on True North than that only speaks to the fact that no one else wanted this team in that city as a business. Which still results in relocation either way you cut it.

All we can do is simplify the situation because we don't have the books and know every detail behind the scenes. I know it sucks and I think its terrible when people lose something they care about and I'm not saying there weren't real fans or enough real fans. Just that as a business it wasn't working.

hockey eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:32 PM
  #24
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland
 
atl thrasher344's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey eh View Post
Really? Reported losses of $130 million over 6 years. Lets just say for fun ASG was totally lying and only lost a quarter of those reports so that puts us at $32.5 million over six years or 5 million a year. Those are still loses. I understand there is lots that goes into it such as poor ownership and siphioning money to the basketball part of the business. However just because they were poor owners doesn't mean they have to hang in there any longer to lose even more of their money that is legally theirs and it doesn't mean the Thrashers proved to be a break even business.
Hockey teams that are far better off than the Thrashers ever were lose much much more than that over less time.
Quote:
I know there are conspiracies that there was some kinda fix that ASG wanted to sell this team to True North the whole time but those are silly considering True Norths been focused on other teams such as Phoenix and Nashville through out the years as well.
Those conspiracies came from Winnipeg. Some people have been saying that True north was after the Thrashers for around two years. We didn't come up with those conspiracies, we just heard about them and then realized that they were probably true especially considering how ASG acted in this whole situation.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:34 PM
  #25
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
I suppose it would be difficult to convince you that I know what the numbers looked like. So, I won't even try.

However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey eh View Post
I know there are conspiracies that there was some kinda fix that ASG wanted to sell this team to True North the whole time but those are silly considering True Norths been focused on other teams such as Phoenix and Nashville through out the years as well.
Tis no conspiracy. Atlanta Spirit contacted True North in mid-2009. According to published reports, the NHL nixed any of those discussions.

The "fix" to move this team was clearly in, otherwise the Atlanta Thrashers would be playing all home games at Philips Arena for the 2011-2012 season, and not in the MTS Centre. There have been a plethora of interested local buyers, but they were never even vetted by the NHL, the Raine Group, nor by Atlanta Spirit. Tell me, how does an agreement to sell a sports franchise take place over the course of two weeks? I'll answer that: It doesn't. A lot has to happen, and not even two weeks worth of all-nighters would have resulted in an agreement coming this quickly.

Congratulations on your team. Now stop rubbing it in, and trying to rationalize it.


Last edited by dj4aces: 06-11-2011 at 10:53 PM.
dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.