HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Group offered $500 million for Hawks/Philips Arena/Thrashers on May 20

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2011, 08:12 PM
  #51
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,917
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
I would say the NHL's bad decision isn't necessarily the return to Canada. It's choosing to abandon the city of Atlanta. Even if, hypothetically speaking, the team is losing what Atlanta Spirit claims, the long term effect of the NHL in Atlanta is a boon for the league.

From a business standpoint, leaving the city is both a good thing (Atlanta Spirit Sucks), and a bad thing (long term, the game is grown with the kids, and Atlanta has experienced a huge influx of youth hockey programs).

The fact is, the Thrashers flight was doomed to early Wright Brothers level of failures. You will find very few Atlantans clamoring to name any new team that might come here the Thrashers.

"Atlanta Traffic" would be appropriate, though

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:09 PM
  #52
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Okay. Read my posts and accept them. Simple as that.
MOD

Just face the facts, folks. The group that purchased the team was the only group with serious interest in buying the team, and no local groups had serious interest. Those ARE the facts.


Last edited by Fugu: 06-13-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: ...
Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:18 PM
  #53
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
This rumor has been debunked.
USA Today has not altered their story or issued a retraction yet, to my knowledge.

Tekneek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:29 PM
  #54
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,617
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post

Just face the facts, folks. The group that purchased the team was the only group with serious interest in buying the team, and no local groups had serious interest. Those ARE the facts.
Please.

What is known is that there was nobody who was willing to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta under the arena rental terms ASG insisted upon. What is strongly believed and seems highly plausible is that ASG had no intention of allowing the Thrashers to remain in Atlanta to begin with, no matter what the offer; they were apparently in it for the arena and basketball team alone.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Fugu: 06-13-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: quotes edited post
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:33 AM
  #55
The Fat Kid
1999-2011
 
The Fat Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
IMO ASG never had intentions of keeping the thrashers here, the 40 free nights in phillips easily more profitable for them. disney on ice or justin bieber concerts market themselves

The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:30 PM
  #56
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
This rumor has been debunked.
Now it is being blogged by Mike Ozanian @ Forbes.com. Still insisting that it has been debunked?

http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/...s-500-million/

Tekneek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:57 PM
  #57
Ashe
Registered User
 
Ashe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saskatoon SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Just face the facts, folks. The group that purchased the team was the only group with serious interest in buying the team, and no local groups had serious interest. Those ARE the facts.


And those aren't the facts. The facts are we have been lied to by every party involved in this mess. ASG is lying through their teeth, NHL are lying through their teeth (Which can be proven by saying they have been trying to find a buyer for 2 years, when ASG themselves said they havent been able to sell except for the last 6 months). 6 months to close a deal this big? Thats absolute bull ****. There was no intervention to make sure the ASG was trying to sell in good faith, which by all of our standards, is highly unlikely. There have been groups, and people on record saying things are done shady. Once this whole thing ends, and the sale becomes official, those people will start speaking out about it. Anson carter was ADAMANT about keeping the team in ATL, hell he started his TV series in ATL, And word of an official offer did come through.

The fact this has not been retracted, or dismissed by the NHL, or anyone not "a source", is ********. Levenson or Gearon aren't even lying about this, like they have about everything else. Because maybe they realized "Oh **** we are getting busted".

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 05:08 PM
  #58
Stitzel
Registered User
 
Stitzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
I agree that ASG didn't get enough fans behind the team to start jacking up prices and make more money (someone raised that point a few posts back while conversing with dj). But, as an example of the clairvoyance and wisdom they used to run this team, they STILL jacked them up. I mean, $7 for a 12 oz beer, and $68 for mid-level tickets behind the goal? Come on...

If any of you remember when Arthur Blank bought the Falcons back in '02, he cut the prices of all tickets (I want to say by half, but don't quote me on that) and started forking out money for good players. Look at the success the team is having now...If you want to build a successful franchise, those are the things you have to do. It's clear that ASG never wanted to put a successful product on the ice, nor did they ever want to be a part of hockey in the first place. The purchase of the Thrashers by ASG was nothing more than a failed business operation in the first place. The fault still lies with ASG though, and there was never any effort made to fix the situation. Now, we are the ones who are suffering from their faulty business operations. Plain and simple.

Stitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:48 PM
  #59
Bobster231*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
If by "debunked" you mean A$G said it wasn't so, then yes.

If you are referring to the main party, than yes. It has been completely debunked. How else could it be debunked?


It's completely false and BS.


True North owns the team. They have begun front office assembling and negotiating player contracts. Do you think the NHL doesn't know that? Do you think they'd have a problem with if it weren't official yet? Official NHL sanctioned press conferences?


No, because the vote is a mere formality welcoming the new owners to the club as a group all together as 30 teams.


The Thrashers died May 31st.

Bobster231* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:48 PM
  #60
Bobster231*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Now it is being blogged by Mike Ozanian @ Forbes.com. Still insisting that it has been debunked?

http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/...s-500-million/


This Ozanian guy is behind the ball. Quite a bit. Been completely debunked.

Bobster231* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:39 AM
  #61
SilverRiver89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster231 View Post
True North owns the team. They have begun front office assembling and negotiating player contracts. Do you think the NHL doesn't know that? Do you think they'd have a problem with if it weren't official yet? Official NHL sanctioned press conferences?


No, because the vote is a mere formality welcoming the new owners to the club as a group all together as 30 teams.


The Thrashers died May 31st.
This has literally nothing to do with what this thread is about (ie the fact that we're getting screwed over). Everyone knows it's basically done at this point. I don't think anyone has said otherwise, and I don't get why you would post this

And of course ASG is going to say it's not true. They don't want to make it seem like they turned down legit offers to keep the team here. Too bad there's enough double talk and evidence out there to suggest otherwise also people like Dan Bouchard are beginning to talk.

It isn't about the team at this point. It's about finding the truth.

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:01 AM
  #62
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote
 
Winnipeg Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: England
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Atlanta has been comprehensively screwed by the ownership groups of two separate franchises. Winnipeg experienced the same thing back in 1996, so we can empathise, and offer our well wishes that they someday have their version of a True North to rectify a past mistake.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 02:08 AM
  #63
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote
 
Winnipeg Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: England
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
The Shenkarow’s weren’t as bad as the Atlanta Spirit Group, but both cost a city its National Hockey League team when they decided that they didn’t want to own it anymore. Both of our groups have suffered, and it is my fondest hope that Atlanta will one day get a team, but until that day, that they continue to support Burmistrov, Enstrom, Ladd, and Wheeler.


Last edited by Fugu: 06-13-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: ...
Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:05 AM
  #64
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,917
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster231 View Post
The Thrashers died May 31st.
You are free to believe the article from USA Today has been debunked, much like people are free to believe Bat Boy is real. However, the Thrashers are the Thrashers until 21 June, should the Board of Governors vote the team is free to move to Winnipeg.

To be clear, I believe it to be a certainty that this team is, in fact, moving to Winnipeg.

Some guy who won't give his name to the press, but is "close to ASG," does not a debunker make. The USA Today article includes at least one person on the record. Is this person lying? Is USA Today now in the business of publishing pure garbage? Other local media outlets seem to side with USA Today in this, which should be somewhat of an indicator of how the news media feels about ASG and its "source."

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:09 AM
  #65
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,506
vCash: 500
On a somewhat related note, I saw in the Atlanta Business Chronicle that Philips couldn't land the NCAA Gymnastics Championship. In 2012, they will be held at the Gwinnett Center.

As Nelson says...Ha Ha!

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:06 PM
  #66
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky
 
ThrasherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
I am still waiting for someone to press the issue that Gearon said he would NEVER sell his interest in the Hawks and the Hawks/Arena were never for sale.....

YET, when local media when hunting in April, they found that there was an exclusive negotiating period FOR THE HAWKS AND ARENA with the former owner of the San Diego Padres.....

AND, it mysteriously ended abruptly the day AFTER TNSE was rumored to have dotted the i's and crossed the t's. NO LOCAL INTEREST COULD EVER HAVE NEGOTIATED FOR THE TEAM. Who would own the lease to negotiate against? At that time, it was unknown and any new NHL ownership would NOT be able to own a piece of the arena.

Chipman admitted that ASG approached him and the league in 2009, yet ASG said there was no way they were selling or could sell due to the lawsuits, and they are suing their OWN LAWYERS over the bad first suit that held up the deal....they ALSO approached Balsille earlier on to offer the team.

ASG NEVER wanted the team in the arena. THE Original team President LEFT after the first year of ASG and was quoted as saying, "Why stay if you aren't given a budget to do your job." They never replaced him until moving Waddell up after 10 years of complete incompetence.

Now, go take those FACTS and tell everyone that Atlanta failed.

ASG and DON WADDELL are lying ******** and they FAILED.

Uninterested local ownership was debunked by the local news in May.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
  #67
netminder17
Registered User
 
netminder17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherMinion View Post
I am still waiting for someone to press the issue that Gearon said he would NEVER sell his interest in the Hawks and the Hawks/Arena were never for sale.....

YET, when local media when hunting in April, they found that there was an exclusive negotiating period FOR THE HAWKS AND ARENA with the former owner of the San Diego Padres.....

AND, it mysteriously ended abruptly the day AFTER TNSE was rumored to have dotted the i's and crossed the t's. NO LOCAL INTEREST COULD EVER HAVE NEGOTIATED FOR THE TEAM. Who would own the lease to negotiate against? At that time, it was unknown and any new NHL ownership would NOT be able to own a piece of the arena.

Chipman admitted that ASG approached him and the league in 2009, yet ASG said there was no way they were selling or could sell due to the lawsuits, and they are suing their OWN LAWYERS over the bad first suit that held up the deal....they ALSO approached Balsille earlier on to offer the team.

ASG NEVER wanted the team in the arena. THE Original team President LEFT after the first year of ASG and was quoted as saying, "Why stay if you aren't given a budget to do your job." They never replaced him until moving Waddell up after 10 years of complete incompetence.

Now, go take those FACTS and tell everyone that Atlanta failed.

ASG and DON WADDELL are lying ******** and they FAILED.

Uninterested local ownership was debunked by the local news in May.
Yep, Atlanta hockey fans get screwed again. The sad thing is that no one seems to care.

netminder17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
  #68
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by netminder17 View Post
Yep, Atlanta hockey fans get screwed again. The sad thing is that no one seems to care.
No, you're wrong, the Atlanta market has failed twice, hockey can't work in the south, SHUT UP!

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:56 PM
  #69
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote
 
Winnipeg Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: England
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
No, you're wrong, the Atlanta market has failed twice, hockey can't work in the south, SHUT UP!
The Atlanta market didnít fail, but two ownerships have failed Atlanta.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:24 AM
  #70
Stitzel
Registered User
 
Stitzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Look, when the metaphorical "powers that be" decide to wise up and grow a pair (or are replaced by someone who already has a pair of there own) then they will realize that if hockey is going to compete with the NFL, NBA, and MLB in the United States of America, then it has to target the markets that the previously stated 3 leagues are already in deep with. The 1st market to fit those criteria is Atlanta, but business intervenes yet again. Don't get me wrong, money makes the world go 'round. But, without the markets to develop and/or advertise to, money ain't worth sh**.

Like I've said before...whatever rumors arise, the Thrashers are gone. But, Atlanta's voice isn't.

I just hope that in the end, (yes, Winnipeg deserves an NHL team. I know...I've heard the party line). But so does Atlanta. And if the NHL ever hopes to expand past the hockey glory days of the 1980's Miracle on Ice, it will have to reach out and market to the places like Atlanta, Phoenix, and even Louisiana/Alabama (I realize this is a LONG WAY OFF to get MY locals into it, insert "lol" here...) or even more unlikely, the Midwest...Point is, those "un-local" markets are the key...But losing a big market like Atlanta (aka the "key to the South") is just downright irresponsible.

With such a huge market out of the door, only marginal fans (like found on this board) are going to chose to follow NHL hockey in different cities. Most, however, will turn their back all together, after the way they have been treated. Personally, I'm kind of in the middle. But I digress...

Despite our personal loss as fans, the NHL is the real loser here...

LONG LIVE ATLANTA HOCKEY, and to those of us who still support that fact (no matter how much farther from the ATL you are than me), here's to our future...and the restoration of what $$money$$ has taken from us.

**mods, if you find this too far off-topic, I apologize...but this applies on almost any thread under the Atlanta Thrashers board. I had to say it before our board is gone forever.**

Stitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:37 AM
  #71
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote
 
Winnipeg Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: England
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitzel View Post
Look, when the metaphorical "powers that be" decide to wise up and grow a pair (or are replaced by someone who already has a pair of there own) then they will realize that if hockey is going to compete with the NFL, NBA, and MLB in the United States of America, then it has to target the markets that the previously stated 3 leagues are already in deep with. The 1st market to fit those criteria is Atlanta, but business intervenes yet again. Don't get me wrong, money makes the world go 'round. But, without the markets to develop and/or advertise to, money ain't worth sh**.

Like I've said before...whatever rumors arise, the Thrashers are gone. But, Atlanta's voice isn't.

I just hope that in the end, (yes, Winnipeg deserves an NHL team. I know...I've heard the party line). But so does Atlanta. And if the NHL ever hopes to expand past the hockey glory days of the 1980's Miracle on Ice, it will have to reach out and market to the places like Atlanta, Phoenix, and even Louisiana/Alabama (I realize this is a LONG WAY OFF to get MY locals into it, insert "lol" here...) or even more unlikely, the Midwest...Point is, those "un-local" markets are the key...But losing a big market like Atlanta (aka the "key to the South") is just downright irresponsible.

With such a huge market out of the door, only marginal fans (like found on this board) are going to chose to follow NHL hockey in different cities. Most, however, will turn their back all together, after the way they have been treated. Personally, I'm kind of in the middle. But I digress...

Despite our personal loss as fans, the NHL is the real loser here...

LONG LIVE ATLANTA HOCKEY, and to those of us who still support that fact (no matter how much farther from the ATL you are than me), here's to our future...and the restoration of what $$money$$ has taken from us.

**mods, if you find this too far off-topic, I apologize...but this applies on almost any thread under the Atlanta Thrashers board. I had to say it before our board is gone forever.**
May it never be removed!

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
  #72
Stitzel
Registered User
 
Stitzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
May it never be removed!
Thank you good sir.

Stitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 06:05 PM
  #73
Bobster231*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
You are free to believe the article from USA Today has been debunked, much like people are free to believe Bat Boy is real. However, the Thrashers are the Thrashers until 21 June, should the Board of Governors vote the team is free to move to Winnipeg.

To be clear, I believe it to be a certainty that this team is, in fact, moving to Winnipeg.

Some guy who won't give his name to the press, but is "close to ASG," does not a debunker make. The USA Today article includes at least one person on the record. Is this person lying? Is USA Today now in the business of publishing pure garbage? Other local media outlets seem to side with USA Today in this, which should be somewhat of an indicator of how the news media feels about ASG and its "source."

I'l say it again, the Thrashers died May 31st. Believe what you want to believe. I'l stick with the truth.

The BOG vote is a mere formality welcoming True North to the club.


Do you honestly think the NHL would be allowing NHL sanctioned press conferences to be happening and front office firings and hirings if this wasn't official? Do you think Mr. Daly and the honcho of NHL excecs would be in WPG meeting with the True North folk going over game day ops, marketing and adversting?

Do you think Mr. Cheveldayoff would be interviewing coaches and negotiation with players if this wasn't official?

Do you think the Manitoba Moose would have a press conference in St. John announcing the relocation of the the team to Newfoundland if this wasn't official?


This sale and transaction/deal is done and done.


Definition of rubber stamp "to formally approve something that has already been agreed/approved upon."

Bobster231* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 06:21 PM
  #74
SilverRiver89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Why did you write such a long post to agree with him? Calm down man

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
  #75
KevFist
is best pony
 
KevFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
For realz dude...Chillax...

If you're so sure, why you buggin, yo?

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.