HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2011-2012 Season II

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2011, 11:26 AM
bobafettish*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The Bruins have sort of been the Kings East for a while, lot of similarities in the 2 franchises. If a team like the Bruins can win the Cup, there is no reason the Kings couldn't, and soon.
uh the kings have a tim thomas?

Old
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
LAKings4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
THe Rags are struggling with the cap but can still deal and get enough relief to do what they want. That said they have Gabby and might be willing to deal Special K for help on the back end. I think that Special K is the closest to NHL ready.

Beck is ahead of where Toffoli is in many ways so I would say that he would be right there with Special K as far as being ready and I could see us also being good trading partners.

As far as that goes since we are talking about prospects we are pretty good trading partners with every team mentioned. All of them need solid PMD help and we need their elite skilled LW kids.

The player that I think would be the best fit from a DL player type is Beck in that he is a quality kid along with being highly talented and tuff as nails.

It isn't a perfect science but I would say that any of the teams and kids listed could all equally fit in the same way.

As far as DL type of players here is a list

Beck
Krieder
Nieds
Pulkonen

Filatov

imo
Excellent, appreciate the analysis. I am figuring prospects that are close to NHL ready is a deal that DL might be more willing to make. It may not help this year, but 2-3 years from now we could have the LW we need that can grow with the team.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
LAKings4ever

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. The Bruins have sort of been the Kings East for a while, lot of similarities in the 2 franchises. If a team like the Bruins can win the Cup, there is no reason the Kings couldn't, and soon.
The Bruins team really stepped up in the playoffs, they played at a very high level and had a goal tender that was all out crazy great - not to mention the Chara. In the last 2 years, the Kings have not stepped up in the playoffs. I just hope all the Kings team (including the coaching staff) was watching.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
uh the kings have a tim thomas?
Tim Thomas wasn't even the starter at the beginning of the season. I think Quick (or Bernier) could easily get hot and carry a team through a playoff run. Look at some of the goalies that have won Cups recently. It isn't always the perennial Vezina candidates.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Tim Thomas wasn't even the starter at the beginning of the season. I think Quick (or Bernier) could easily get hot and carry a team through a playoff run. Look at some of the goalies that have won Cups recently. It isn't always the perennial Vezina candidates.
Hoping for your goaltender to get hot in the PO is not what you should plan on...
TT didnt get hot, he played this well the entire season. Past SC winners had much better teams then the kings thus there goalies didnt need to be Roy, Hasek or TT

Old
06-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Hoping for your goaltender to get hot in the PO is not what you should plan on...
TT didnt get hot, he played this well the entire season. Past SC winners had much better teams then the kings thus there goalies didnt need to be Roy, Hasek or TT
You're right, the Kings will never win the Cup.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:36 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
You're right, the Kings will never win the Cup.
with our current roster, sure

Old
06-17-2011, 02:39 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Make no mistake that Tim Thomas won the cup for them. He was on fire..but sometimes that what you need to win it all. Also, keep in mind that Boston did not cake through the playoffs, but had to grit out alot of games.

Thier Defense isnt as good as ours overall from my standpoint..and watching them blow coverages left and right the whole series made me cringe. They are beefier and tougher on the blue line, but i wouldnt say they are better than the kings as a whole.

But to compare us to Boston i would say is pretty far fetched imo. We dont have the same speed/skill up front as they do (and they still were slower than vancouver). Nor do we have the playmakers that they do. They were able to get alot of counter attack goals using thier speed.

If we were to improve upon those 2 items in our top 6, i would say that we could make the runs for the cup. So if we cant do that via trade, etc I would hope Schenn, Lokti and Kozun could bring some skill and speed up front within the next year or 2.

But still the future is still very bright..and im excited.

fire tm- it wouldnt be a HF post without an negative editorial...

Old
06-17-2011, 02:45 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Plan on? No. But there have been a number of teams through the years that have won the Cup for that reason - a very hot goalie. In this day and age, when teams are so close to each other, having a hot goalie is pretty much a prerequisite to winning it all, unless you have a team that is so dominant that all it needs for its goalie to be is competent. I don't see this scenario happening much in the cap era.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:49 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
Make no mistake that Tim Thomas won the cup for them. He was on fire..but sometimes that what you need to win it all. Also, keep in mind that Boston did not cake through the playoffs, but had to grit out alot of games.

Thier Defense isnt as good as ours overall from my standpoint..and watching them blow coverages left and right the whole series made me cringe. They are beefier and tougher on the blue line, but i wouldnt say they are better than the kings as a whole.

But to compare us to Boston i would say is pretty far fetched imo. We dont have the same speed/skill up front as they do (and they still were slower than vancouver). Nor do we have the playmakers that they do. They were able to get alot of counter attack goals using thier speed.

If we were to improve upon those 2 items in our top 6, i would say that we could make the runs for the cup. So if we cant do that via trade, etc I would hope Schenn, Lokti and Kozun could bring some skill and speed up front within the next year or 2.

But still the future is still very bright..and im excited.

fire tm- it wouldnt be a HF post without an negative editorial...
AND they had Horton out for the last couple of games and Savard on LTIR. Boston has way more talent up front from top to bottom than the LA Kings. I think I even saw Chara set up a screen on the power play as well! Imagine that, letting your defensemen move off the point on the PP! Blasphemy.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:16 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
THe Rags are struggling with the cap but can still deal and get enough relief to do what they want. That said they have Gabby and might be willing to deal Special K for help on the back end. I think that Special K is the closest to NHL ready.

Beck is ahead of where Toffoli is in many ways so I would say that he would be right there with Special K as far as being ready and I could see us also being good trading partners.

As far as that goes since we are talking about prospects we are pretty good trading partners with every team mentioned. All of them need solid PMD help and we need their elite skilled LW kids.

The player that I think would be the best fit from a DL player type is Beck in that he is a quality kid along with being highly talented and tuff as nails.

It isn't a perfect science but I would say that any of the teams and kids listed could all equally fit in the same way.

As far as DL type of players here is a list

Beck
Krieder
Nieds
Pulkonen

Filatov

imo
The Rangers have good defense and goaltending, but a weak/mediocre offense. They need scoring help. I don't see how them dealing away a young winger with scoring upside for help on the back end makes sense for them.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I think I even saw Chara set up a screen on the power play as well! Imagine that, letting your defensemen move off the point on the PP! Blasphemy.
He wasn't moving off the point, he wasn't at the point to begin with. Their power play was so horrible that they were playing Chara as a forward on the PP to set up screens in front. In any case, I'm sure it was Kompon's fault.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

For those of you with false hope that the Kings would acquire or offer sheet Zach Parise, the Devils have elected team arbitration for Parise, meaning he can't receive any offer sheets, and Lou Lamoriello has indicated that they will attempt to re-sign him to a long term deal.

Now we can crush those hopes some of you had.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
For those of you with false hope that the Kings would acquire or offer sheet Zach Parise, the Devils have elected team arbitration for Parise, meaning he can't receive any offer sheets, and Lou Lamoriello has indicated that they will attempt to re-sign him to a long term deal.

That was always the Devils' plan, but will Zach sign long term with Kovalchuk as player #1? Why wouldn't Parise want to test UFA next off season after seeing how much Kovalchuk got on the open market?

Last edited by Sydor25: 06-17-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old
06-17-2011, 05:39 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:

I'm confused by this move a little. Everyone implies that Parise wants to stay with the Devils and they are working on a deal, so why go the arbitration route? If he really wants to be a Devil, who cares about offer sheets? Just because he might receive an offer sheet doesn't mean he has to sign it. Does this imply that the Devils think that Parise might have inklings towards leaving?

Old
06-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It's to protect an asset. You never know when a GM might lose his marbles and offer him $9M per year, and if you are Parise or his agent, you'd be crazy not to accept such an offer. Now they have themselves protected from such a situation and Parise's reps can only negotiate with NJ. I think they will ultimately avoid arbitration, both sides know the type of player Parise is and what he is worth to that team.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:45 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
It's to protect an asset. You never know when a GM might lose his marbles and offer him $9M per year, and if you are Parise or his agent, you'd be crazy not to accept such an offer. Now they have themselves protected from such a situation and Parise's reps can only negotiate with NJ. I think they will ultimately avoid arbitration, both sides know the type of player Parise is and what he is worth to that team.
Then why are we not hearing about the Kings filing for arbitration with Doughty?

Old
06-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Then why are we not hearing about the Kings filing for arbitration with Doughty?
Doughty isn't eligible for arbitration.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:48 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Doughty isn't eligible for arbitration.
Cool, thanks

Old
06-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
How does Lou convince Zach that he isn't worth $11 million to the Devils'? How do they get him long term for less?

It would be ironic if Lou can sign Zach to the Kings' Kovalchuk offer of $80 million/13 years.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
How does Lou convince Zach that he isn't worth $11 million to the Devils'? How do they get him long term for less?

It would be ironic if Lou can sign Zach to the Kings' Kovalchuk offer of $80 million/13 years.
Just look at what Brodeur has done to remain loyal to his team, accepting less to stay with New Jersey. A number of Wings have done the same thing, from Lidstrom to Datsyuk to Zetterberg and Franzen. They'll get something done at a reasonable number that makes sense for both. Lamoriello is not going to lose Parise.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:02 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Just look at what Brodeur has done to remain loyal to his team, accepting less to stay with New Jersey. A number of Wings have done the same thing, from Lidstrom to Datsyuk to Zetterberg and Franzen. They'll get something done at a reasonable number that makes sense for both. Lamoriello is not going to lose Parise.
if taht were the case he would have resigned already.
me thinks he hits FA and DL will get outbid per usual.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:06 PM
johnjm22

Should be interesting to see what kind of deal he signs. Devils probably can't afford much more than a 6M CAP hit.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

If the cap goes up to about $63M, the Devils would have a little over $11M in cap space with $52M committed to 17 players. If they re-sign Parise to a deal that averages $6M to $7M, that's a raise of $3M to $4M for Parise. It also leaves the Devils with about $5M in cap space to fill 4-5 spots on the roster.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:19 PM
johnjm22

63M is the most optimistic projection. I think it's more realistic that it will be slightly less but obviously somewhere in the 60m-63m range.

Larry Brooks reported that the NHLPA told player agents that the CAP is going to be 62.2M. Brooks is the one that got Kovalchuk's contract correct.

Closed Thread