HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Semin for #8 + Umberger

Old
06-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

vCash: 500
Columbus gets hosed in this deal hard. Umberger is a great locker room guy who is willing to give it his all on every shift out there. He provides a lot more then what his stat line would show. Semin is quite the opposite.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Sureves

Never seen a deal make so little sense while being relatively fair in value.

Why does Columbus want 1 year of Semin when they are sooooo far from a Stanley Cup team?

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If I were Columbus, I wouldn't give you either for Semin.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Burmi

Didn't Umberger say that the Caps play the game the wrong way? Haha.

Burmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Doug19

Uhhhh, **** no. I wouldn't deal either for Semin period.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:59 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
What's with the Semin proposals? This one makes even less sense than the one having him going to Edmonton because Columbus has to watch how much money they spend.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

This deal is pretty funny.

I wouldn't trade Umberger for Semin straight up, let alone add the #8 pick overall. Semin is too much of a threat to take a temper tantrum and leave at the end of the year to go play with his beloved BFF again or walk to the KHL.

I'd do Umberger and the #8 for Backstrom however.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:18 PM
vecens24

I'm a massive, massive Umberger fan. I love everything about the way he plays. But being an unbiased observer of his in Columbus, he certainly does get overrated. To even compare him and Semin is kind of funny to me. Let's not forget he also only has one year left on his deal. I know he has built roots in Columbus and went to Ohio State, but let's not act like there isn't a chance he leaves. I wouldn't give up the 8th overall if I was Columbus...because I think it would be awful to do that and get nothing in return after next year, but in a vaccuum, I do think that the 8th overall is the difference between Semin and Umberger.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Holy crap Columbus fans overrate Umberger.
No, people underrate Umberger by a lot.

He's an underappreciate player in the NHL. He does it all in CBJ and is a team leader at that.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by regehr View Post

Alexander Semin

2011 #8 pick
R.J. Umberger
I would love this deal as a CAPS fan. I can't think of any reason why Columbus would do it.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:57 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
What's with the Semin proposals? This one makes even less sense than the one having him going to Edmonton because Columbus has to watch how much money they spend.
Caps fans want him gone because he didn't show up in the playoffs. Actually, it looked like Semin quit on the team.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'm a massive, massive Umberger fan. I love everything about the way he plays. But being an unbiased observer of his in Columbus, he certainly does get overrated. To even compare him and Semin is kind of funny to me. Let's not forget he also only has one year left on his deal. I know he has built roots in Columbus and went to Ohio State, but let's not act like there isn't a chance he leaves. I wouldn't give up the 8th overall if I was Columbus...because I think it would be awful to do that and get nothing in return after next year, but in a vaccuum, I do think that the 8th overall is the difference between Semin and Umberger.
I don't think so, at least not as far as last year is concerned. They were remarkably close, I expected it to be tilted more in Semin's favor that it is.

Umberger logs 1 min/G more 19:12 to 18:04 mainly due his play SH.

Points are a wash Semin 28-26 54 Umberger 25-32 57

Umberger played 82 games and Semin 65.

Given salary considerations, and both having a single year left on their contracts. I don't see how the difference between the two is the 8th pick in the draft.

That is without factoring intangibles, Umberger wears an "A" and is considered the conscience and soul of the CBJ. Semin does have a little more name recognition.

So how much of a premium should Semin bring?

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
I don't think so, at least not as far as last year is concerned. They were remarkably close, I expected it to be tilted more in Semin's favor that it is.

Umberger logs 1 min/G more 19:12 to 18:04 mainly due his play SH.

Points are a wash Semin 28-26 54 Umberger 25-32 57

Umberger played 82 games and Semin 65.

Given salary considerations, and both having a single year left on their contracts. I don't see how the difference between the two is the 8th pick in the draft.

That is without factoring intangibles, Umberger wears an "A" and is considered the conscience and soul of the CBJ. Semin does have a little more name recognition.

So how much of a premium should Semin bring?
The difference in the part that is in bold is that one is a career high and the other is 30 pts away from a career high. Offensively they aren't even close to being of the same value. Semin is at least a tier above........when he shows up. That's the thing about Semin. He can take over a game offensively and play solid defense along the way. If he ever learns to bring it every night and not take time off he will easily be top 10 in the league. That's an "if" CAPS fans have been waiting on for some time now.

Having said all that I'll answer your final question of how much of a premium does Semin bring. The answer is not the #8. The CAPS need umberger more than they do Semin and so does CBJ. I'd prefer the guy who scores a tier lower but is there every night. As I said previously, I'd do this in a heartbeat as a CAPS fan but there is no reason for CBJ to.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
The difference in the part that is in bold is that one is a career high and the other is 30 pts away from a career high. Offensively they aren't even close to being of the same value. Semin is at least a tier above........when he shows up. That's the thing about Semin. He can take over a game offensively and play solid defense along the way. If he ever learns to bring it every night and not take time off he will easily be top 10 in the league. That's an "if" CAPS fans have been waiting on for some time now.

Having said all that I'll answer your final question of how much of a premium does Semin bring. The answer is not the #8. The CAPS need umberger more than they do Semin and so does CBJ. I'd prefer the guy who scores a tier lower but is there every night. As I said previously, I'd do this in a heartbeat as a CAPS fan but there is no reason for CBJ to.
Absolutely agree. I did say the stats were for last year and agree that perhaps in total Semin has some greater value.

But there is a reason there are three players viewed to be totally unavailable by CBJ fans. Nash, Johasen, and Umberger.

So that would be that.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:07 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Absolutely agree. I did say the stats were for last year and agree that perhaps in total Semin has some greater value.

But there is a reason there are three players viewed to be totally unavailable by CBJ fans. Nash, Johasen, and Umberger.

So that would be that.
Umberger is available for the right deal.

to Washington

Umberger

to Columbus:

John Carlson
Varlamov

Old
06-11-2011, 10:12 AM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post

to Washington

Umberger

to Columbus:

John Carlson
Varlamov
not.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:

to Washington

Umberger

to Columbus:

John Carlson
Varlamov

OK.... give you that.

But don't see WSH even thinking about that.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
OK.... give you that.

But don't see WSH even thinking about that.
My point is the only way the Caps or anyone else get Umberger is for a deal that solves real problems with ELC players.

I could also say they could take out Varlamov and add Alzner.

Overpayment + Entry level contracts plus fill gaps in the Jackets lineup. That's the formula to get Umberger.

I can't see any way it could involve Semin.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:38 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Caps fans want him gone because he didn't show up in the playoffs. Actually, it looked like Semin quit on the team.
Thanks for that info. In that case this proposal is even worse. Best they could hope for is a team looking to squeek into the playoffs to give a pennerlike package.

Big cap hit and no help in the playoffs sounds nasty

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:52 AM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Umberger appears overrated in Columbus because he's wholly embraced by the fanbase as the heart and soul of the CBJ.
For Semin? lol they'd run Howson right out of town.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Capathetic

The jackets shouldnt give up the 8th pick unless they were sure they could retain him...thats why we see teams dealing conditional picks pending on players resigning more in the cap era.

That being said with all the umberger underated talk here I think semin has one of the worst reps on this forum of any player. looking back at what hossa,kovalchuck,penner and kaberle could get u at the deadline...people are seriously just afraid for thier teams losing assests for one year of semin.Of these four players only one was signed thru the next season...and the other three it was just as big of a gamble...ask the pens about hossa. If hes traded fans of said team wont like it...but thats what it takes to even make the playoffs for teams like columbus.

Alex semin is a fantastic player...deadly wrist shot,good pker,can dangle which I think is fun to watch...i know it doesnt work but u need creativity with the puck...chipping and chasing doesnt work for everyone believe it or not. Hes also a play maker. If you cant get the guy ready to play then your coaches are not doing thier job...he is however a little soft. But what im getting at is he has more value to actual gms than average fans....semin has the skills of a superstar but hes a russian who is injury prone and the rest are false rumors. The khl thing is false and who honestly knows if he has to be ovies sidekick forever? If soo why not make 4 mill a year to help the team and be close to your friend? I think the one year deals are prepping him for a breakout year...or the caps have a down year and flip him to a contender.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
CBJ laugh at this as they switch to the other line and finish the deal for Carter.
LOL...i was just going to say this!!

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
The jackets shouldnt give up the 8th pick unless they were sure they could retain him...thats why we see teams dealing conditional picks pending on players resigning more in the cap era.

That being said with all the umberger underated talk here I think semin has one of the worst reps on this forum of any player. looking back at what hossa,kovalchuck,penner and kaberle could get u at the deadline...people are seriously just afraid for thier teams losing assests for one year of semin.Of these four players only one was signed thru the next season...and the other three it was just as big of a gamble...ask the pens about hossa. If hes traded fans of said team wont like it...but thats what it takes to even make the playoffs for teams like columbus.
It would be difficult to understate the amount of ignorance this statement represents.

Umberger was our season MVP this year and arguably the year beforehand (he'd be a candidate for 08-09 as well if it weren't for Steve Mason shocking everybody), and during that brief playoff appearance he was the highest-scoring player we had, scoring three of our seven goals (including the very first playoff goal in CBJ history) and generally exemplifying the concept of a "playoff stud".

Trading Umberger is absolutely the wrong thing for the Jackets to do in pretty much any conceivable scenario short of packages for a superstar.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Capathetic

Not trying to slight the team but people say the west is strong.

Id rather trade for vermette if I was the caps.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

One year of Semin at 6.7M... No thanks.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote