HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Melting! Melting!

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2011, 05:38 AM
Felonious Python
TyJo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
Haha. I was watching that live when it happened. I am not even American, I have only heard horror stories of AT&T, and I was groaning when they announced that.
At least their conference overall was much better than 2006.

I find it endlessly amusing that all 3 of the console makers don't seem to grasp what these pressers are all about. They have continually shown that they don't understand their audience at that moment, just as they don't get that these events set the tone for the entire year with how they are perceived by the hardcore gamer. Even if a company has a good 'year' with their conference, they will often turn right around and go back to failing the next.

I think this year's group was the closest it's been to them getting 'it', but that took how many tries? And it still wasn't ideal with the amount of time Microsoft spent on the Kinect.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-21-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old
06-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

The entire E3 thing is nothing but a giant ass TV commercial. It's never anything new and innovative it's just that, revealing the next gimmick.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Blackjack26

http://http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/

Seriously, though...Call of Duty or Battlefield? What's the diff?

Old
06-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Felonious Python
TyJo

I still don't quite understand what a 'Wii U' is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack26 View Post
http://http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/

Seriously, though...Call of Duty or Battlefield? What's the diff?
The speed at which they are played. Speaking mostly in terms of multiplayer, BF's maps are much larger, and allow for the use of vehicles (tanks, helicopters, etc.) It also means longer range combat, and generally less of it. Meaning a slower, more deliberate and tactical pace.

CoD in comparison is much more twitch. CoD does have helicopters and stuff, but those are kill streak rewards. BF just has them lying around.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-21-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old
06-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
At least their conference overall was much better than 2006.

I find it endlessly amusing that all 3 of the console makers don't seem to grasp what these pressers are all about. They have continually shown that they don't understand their audience at that moment, just as they don't get that these events set the tone for the entire year with how they are perceived by the hardcore gamer. Even if a company has a good 'year' with their conference, they will often turn right around and go back to failing the next.

I think this year's group was the closest it's been to them getting 'it', but that took how many tries? And it still wasn't ideal with the amount of time Microsoft spent on the Kinect.
I couldn't agree with you more. It just seems so ridiculous that every year all the companies seem to fall flat on their faces with regards to the software they bring forth. To me, I want to see what new ips, new software exclusives each company has coming to their system, and it seems more and more that they are bringing multi-platform titles to the forefront. That isn't really going to sell anybody on your system, show us what your system can offer that the others can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
The entire E3 thing is nothing but a giant ass TV commercial. It's never anything new and innovative it's just that, revealing the next gimmick.
Quote:
I still don't quite understand what a 'Wii U' is.
Watching their presser I was like.. Errr.. Is this just a controller addition to the Wii?

I have pretty much lost faith in Nintendo. They don't want to lose their casual market (which is smart financially since they cashed in so well this past generation on that market) but at the same time they don't seem to have any issue alienating the hardcore market. I have friends that literally, their entire life had ONLY ever owned Nintendo consoles. NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube (where the tires originally fell off). Coming into the current generation, they bought the Wii and only the Wii. After about a year, they realized this system is just not targeted towards them, and they all broke down and bought PS3s.

Speaking of PS3s, I am having an issue folks.. Someone help me.

So I signed up for Netflix last night, and honestly I love it (even though my internet connection is not fast enough for HD streaming over Netflix). Less than 24 hours into my Netflix service, I am already having major issues.

So I watched a few movies last night, woke up this morning and watched another movie, no problem. I went out for lunch and came back and decided to fire something up again, and I keep getting this message: "We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title."

Basically it does this for every title. I went onto the Netflix website for support and followed their instructions and their suggested course of action was this: "If the problem persists, you need to contact PS3™ System customer support"

Wow. Thank you for the customer support *******s.

Anyone know if this is something that is common, is it something I need to fix, or is it just a waiting game?

Old
06-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
After trying a few different things I was googling online, I finally found a solution that actually worked .. I had to reset the date and time settings on my PS3, after I did that, Netflix worked fine... So strange.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Felonious Python
TyJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
I have pretty much lost faith in Nintendo. They don't want to lose their casual market (which is smart financially since they cashed in so well this past generation on that market) but at the same time they don't seem to have any issue alienating the hardcore market. I have friends that literally, their entire life had ONLY ever owned Nintendo consoles. NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube (where the tires originally fell off). Coming into the current generation, they bought the Wii and only the Wii. After about a year, they realized this system is just not targeted towards them, and they all broke down and bought PS3s.
The N64 IMO was when the wheels began to come loose. Ninty opted for cartridges, when CDs were clearly going to be the way forward, and while they started strong, they lost the majority of the market share by the end of that generation to the PS1. In hindsight, Goldeneye pretty much was the system's savior in terms of long term replayability.

All the **** they didn't apparently learn from Sega started around then too with the planned N64DD. Fortunately for everyone except those who bought them, they pulled the plug on that quickly.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:13 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

I'll give Nintendo credit though. No matter what system they put out they do something that's kind of ballsy, and most times it works, but sometimes it just fails miserably (Virtual Boy i'm looking at you)

Old
06-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Felonious Python
TyJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
I'll give Nintendo credit though. No matter what system they put out they do something that's kind of ballsy, and most times it works, but sometimes it just fails miserably (Virtual Boy i'm looking at you)
SNES? That seemed the safest, but probably their best system ever.

Although did release some crap peripherals for it. At least it didn't seem like they weren't trying to push the Super Scope or mouse on everybody though.

And where the **** is Mario Paint for the Wii? That's like the one game from the SNES days that transcended boundaries, and found it's niche with a certain small segment of hardcore gamers, but it has the potential to appeal to the mass casual market, yet it's MIA.

Are they afraid we're going to draw wieners with it? OF COURSE we're going to draw wieners. That was 90% of the potential we saw when we bought the damn system.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-21-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old
06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Blackjack26

There's a hardcore group of people who use Mario Paint's music composer to make 8-bit covers of everything from Iron Maiden to Michael Jackson. Youtube it. It's actually kinda impressive haha.

Nintendo's big guns are still going strong tho (Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros., Donkey Kong). Metroid Other M was an aberration.

On another note, I'm like 90% sure I met an HFer at at the New Year's Ranger game (when CD stood on his head). There was talk of SFY owning Holmgren. So if you remember me sitting behind you, what's up? haha

Old
06-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Felonious Python
TyJo

You know what's odd? Humans evolved over thousands of years to meet the conditions of their environment, yet can't look directly at the sun.

I know it's not a skill that was ever necessary for survival, but you'd think survival of the fittest would have thrown that in there at some point.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:01 PM
DracoFulmineus
Out in a storm

Quote:
You know what's odd? Humans evolved over thousands of years to meet the conditions of their environment, yet can't look directly at the sun.

I know it's not a skill that was ever necessary for survival, but you'd think survival of the fittest would have thrown that in there at some point.
The problem with that is that any inner eye structure designed to be able to see into such bright light without being damaged would not be able to see in dim light. The best solution would be to have an inner eye-lid that is transparent, but with enough opacity to block out the majority of sunlight when needed.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Felonious Python
TyJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFulmineus View Post
The problem with that is that any inner eye structure designed to be able to see into such bright light without being damaged would not be able to see in dim light. The best solution would be to have an inner eye-lid that is transparent, but with enough opacity to block out the majority of sunlight when needed.
Y WE NO HAVE THAT?

Old
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
DracoFulmineus
Out in a storm

Quote:
Y WE NO HAVE THAT?
That would be sweet. I'd really like to have gills, though.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Felonious Python
TyJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFulmineus View Post
That would be sweet. I'd really like to have gills, though.
Breathing under water, the vision:

Breathing under water, the reality:

Old
06-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

I just had the best dinner of my life: I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes!

Old
06-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Congrats!

Old
06-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Awesome!

Old
06-23-2011, 06:29 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Congrats!

Old
06-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 1290
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
I just had the best dinner of my life: I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes!

Congrats Moo!!

Old
06-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Felonious Python
TyJo

Moogratulations!

Hai guyz, i c this is the thread fo r terrible trade prospals so here goes

to philly; stammkos (sign and trade) 1st round pick from tampa 7th round pick from nyr

to tampa lightening; micheal delzotto daniel girardi chris versteeg ian laperriere 3rd round pick in 2014 OR 15 (phi)

to new york rangers; hedman 7th round pick from phi

i like this deal because it frees you guys up soooo much cap space b/c your poor lol.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-23-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added 3rd round pick to make the deal fair
Old
06-23-2011, 11:32 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

Congrats Moo!!

Old
06-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Excellent news

Old
06-24-2011, 01:27 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 50
Quote:
Congratulations!

Old
06-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Xenophobia Catalyst
The Omega Dreamer

vCash: 50
Congrats to you Moo!

Closed Thread