HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs interested in Drury?

Old
06-11-2011, 09:39 AM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Unless he's centering our fourth line for no more than 1m for 2 years, not interested.

EDIT: @Jfried, if we can dump Komi AND we don't get richards I'd take drury's contract.
Well it would take a realization that Richards isn't coming here, as any deal like that would have to happen before July 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Never thought I'd agree with you, but you're absolutely right. If he is any wrose thank he was last year (I hope it's not possible) he should be bought out in the off-season. He's already 28 and isn't going to get any better.

The fact that we are hoping that he just gives us average defending is more worrisome because of what he was brought here to do.

I hope if we don't get Richards that Burke doesn't hastily overpay for one that might be avaibable (Spezza, Carter, Stastny) and wait it out another year, because if playoffs is the goal for next year, if Reimer plays anywhere close to what he played last year we will be in the playoffs, with or without Richards, and if he doesn't we draft up in a strong draft and not finish 9th and get the 15th pick.
Yeah -- but swallowing that 4 year buyout is not going to be pretty, and he's nto going to improve in Toronto under Ron Wilson, this guy is desparate need of a change of scenery.

Like I posted above, a deal like this would have to happen before July 1 because that's the Rangers window to buyout Drury. We're best off to realize that Richards isn't going to come here for a price that makes sense to us and take us, and that trading for Drury represents an opportunity to fix a major Brian Burke screwup, with the added benefit of getting a guy who can at least play centre next year for us.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:54 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

I would rather Burke take a look at someone like Steve Bernier instead of Drury. Bigger body, much younger and likely can be had for the same money without as much risk.

Maybe sign him to a one year contract like he did with MacArthur.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Well it would take a realization that Richards isn't coming here, as any deal like that would have to happen before July 1.

Yeah -- but swallowing that 4 year buyout is not going to be pretty, and he's nto going to improve in Toronto under Ron Wilson, this guy is desparate need of a change of scenery.

Like I posted above, a deal like this would have to happen before July 1 because that's the Rangers window to buyout Drury. We're best off to realize that Richards isn't going to come here for a price that makes sense to us and take us, and that trading for Drury represents an opportunity to fix a major Brian Burke screwup, with the added benefit of getting a guy who can at least play centre next year for us.
why don't you stop speaking in absolutes like you know what's going to happen. I give you props for getting Reimer's contract right but you've looked wrong and foolish many times here.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Stu

Quote:
The Leafs should absolutely be interested in Drury, and if the Rangers are intent on buying him out, we should be looking to change those plans. A Drury buyout is going to cost NYR $3.7m and $1.8m on the cap for the next 2 years, and they don't even get a player for that. By spending only $800k more in the first year and $2.8m more in the 2nd year, they get Komisarek who is easily worth $800k, and problably worth $2.8m with a change of scenery. That's worth taking on the last year at $4.5.

From Toronto's perspective, a #1 centre to build around problably isn't going to be available to us this offseason anyways, so deal with 1 more year of pain instead of 3 years with Komi.
I'd rather not pick a guy up with that amount of salary just on an assumption and for a bit of leadership. Why we would want that when we have youth who NEED time to develop is beyond me. Komi wasn't great last year but it would be nice if he could bounce back a bit next season - he is a veteran who can also provide some leadership. Unless we can convince NY to sweeten the deal a little I'd pass on that.

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:21 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
why don't you stop speaking in absolutes like you know what's going to happen. I give you props for getting Reimer's contract right but you've looked wrong and foolish many times here.
What? You guys are going to argue with me that a deal like this would have to happen before July 1?

The only way the Rangers are going to even consider this trade is if they intend on making a pitch for Richards, meaning they have to get rid of Drury's salary. Their options -- buy him out or trade him. If it's a buyout, it has to happen between June 15 - 30th. There is no way they're going to be stupid enough to go into July with teams basically holding the Rangers at ransom, with no buyout recourse. Furthermore, they couldn't even formalize a contract with Richards with Drury on the roster.

Basically, they'll try to trade him, and if it doesn't happen he'll be bought out by June 30.

So, if you're Brian Burke, you've got 2 options.

#1. Play the fools game of trying to sign Brad Richards where you're going to have to sign him for 9 years at a contract that problably won't make sense to have in 2-3 years when this team has a chance to contend, meanwhile being stuck with Komisarek.

#2. Realize that signing Brad Richards for a price that makes sense isn't practical, get rid of Komisarek's 3-year contract in exchange for a 1-year to Chris Drury. Pursue a puckmover on the blueline this offseason, and set yourself up to have a ridiculous amount of cap space next year to get a #1 C.

I'll take door 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I'd rather not pick a guy up with that amount of salary just on an assumption and for a bit of leadership. Why we would want that when we have youth who NEED time to develop is beyond me. Komi wasn't great last year but it would be nice if he could bounce back a bit next season - he is a veteran who can also provide some leadership. Unless we can convince NY to sweeten the deal a little I'd pass on that.
Drury is just as much of a leader as Komisarek, and unlike Komi actually fits into our lineup. Plus, Komi's not going to bounce back in Toronto, there are too many defencemen infront of him and he's a horrible fit with Ron Wilson.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:23 AM
MeoTwist

I'd take him for about $500,000. Nice for a third line

MeoTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
What? You guys are going to argue with me that a deal like this would have to happen before July 1?

The only way the Rangers are going to even consider this trade is if they intend on making a pitch for Richards, meaning they have to get rid of Drury's salary. Their options -- buy him out or trade him. If it's a buyout, it has to happen between June 15 - 30th. There is no way they're going to be stupid enough to go into July with teams basically holding the Rangers at ransom, with no buyout recourse. Furthermore, they couldn't even formalize a contract with Richards with Drury on the roster.

Basically, they'll try to trade him, and if it doesn't happen he'll be bought out by June 30.

#1. Play the fools game of trying to sign Brad Richards where you're going to have to sign him for 9 years at a contract that problably won't make sense to have in 2-3 years when this team has a chance to contend, meanwhile being stuck with Komisarek.

#2. Realize that signing Brad Richards for a price that makes sense isn't practical, get rid of Komisarek's 3-year contract in exchange for a 1-year to Chris Drury. Pursue a puckmover on the blueline this offseason, and set yourself up to have a ridiculous amount of cap space next year to get a #1 C.

I'll take door 2.
Drury has a NMC, and nobody is going to take a 7 million cap hit and he'll probably rather get the buyout. Why do you keep thinking he's going to take 9 years, (is it because he wants a 40 year contract), I doubt it's going to be 9 years, I'm confident it'll be a 7 year contract or less depending on the cap hit. There are no #1 C next season that they're probably be locked up. When opportunities come avaliable, you have to pound on it.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:25 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:

I'll take door 2.

Drury is just as much of a leader as Komisarek, and unlike Komi actually fits into our lineup. Plus, Komi's not going to bounce back in Toronto, there are too many defencemen infront of him and he's a horrible fit with Ron Wilson.
Yeah ok. It's so simple to dump Komisarek's contract. Burke is just not doing it because of his laziness.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:26 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwist View Post
I'd take him for about $500,000. Nice for a third line
750.000$ is minimum in NHL if I'm not mistaken.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:27 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:

I'll take door 2.

Brad Richards is available this year and he is a #1 center, why on earth would you want to sign Drury and wait for some other #1 center to become available when players like Richards rarely if ever make it to UFA status?

Old
06-11-2011, 10:30 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
Brad Richards is available this year and he is a #1 center, why on earth would you want to sign Drury and wait for some other #1 center to become available when players like Richards rarely if ever make it to UFA status?
Who is the #1 UFA centre next year? Drury? Stoll? Jokinen? There's not even a #1 centre next year in free agency, therefore, bad idea.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Stu

Quote:
I'm not doubting it, but we have no use for him really, even if it's to dump a contract - I refuse to believe that Mike Komisarek's value has dropped so much over one season that the best we can do is dump him for Drury. I would rather keep him and try and get something serviceable like a draft pick. Not to mention most of the defencemen in front of him are also young and in need of guidance in the next 1-2 seasons. We're not contending next season - hell making the playoffs will be a miracle so this seems like a kneejerk reaction to me for one poor season.

Not to mention, a quick scout down the FA list next season will tell you that there is no Brad Richards available in 2012.

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:34 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Who is the #1 UFA centre next year? Drury? Stoll? Jokinen? There's not even a #1 centre next year in free agency, therefore, bad idea.
Exactly.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:40 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
Exactly.
You guys don't read my posts? Patrick Sharp will be available unless Chicago ties him up. He's only 3.9 this year so he will get a significant raise. IMO he's younger and a better solution than B Richards.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:45 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
You guys don't read my posts? Patrick Sharp will be available unless Chicago ties him up. He's only 3.9 this year so he will get a significant raise. IMO he's younger and a better solution than B Richards.
Chicago didn't move him this past off-season for a reason. With the cap going up, expect them to lock Sharp up long-term, they aren't going to let another core piece walk.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:52 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Sharp is not better than Richards. I would maybe even take Laich over Sharp.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:56 AM
trellaine201

Why do try and sign every american player available or will be available? What have they won in the past 10-15yrs?

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
MeoTwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
Sharp would be another Versteeg in Toronto, in my opinion.

MeoTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
I don't think so. Sharp is a much more complete player, plays a different style then Versteeg and is better in all three zones then Versteeg. Versteeg is a poor man's Sharp.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:58 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
I wouldnt.

Sharp is easily a better player then Laich.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:00 AM
daveleaf

I am not sure why we need Drury here. I am a fan of having veteran leadership in the dressing room I would rather have a guy that doesn't seem to be fighting uphill the last number of years. We can get some more veteran leadership on defence, maybe a guy like Wiz or one of the other ufa defenceman. As the other poster said Patrick Sharp would be an excellent option but I don't see him as a permanent #1 solution and if the Leafs sign Richards and Sharp you can guarantee many players will be moving out since there will be extra bodies everywhere.

I'm just not a fan of signing a guy that is really banged up and body is coming near to the end of a pro career. We've invested time and money with Bozak and he is a good third liner so I don't see the need to sign Drury.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:02 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:

Agreed more or less.

Sharp's better than steegs, but I wouldn't use assets to acquire him. He's a good player to pick up on the FA market, otherwise I do think Laich has more impact here than Sharp would.

dubplatepressure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Did someone just say they would take Laich over sharp? Lmaoo

I could have sworn sharp is a winger, not a centre though...

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:03 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Did someone just say they would take Laich over sharp? Lmaoo

I could have sworn sharp is a winger, not a centre though...
He plays both guy. He can play both wings and the centre spot and that is why is he so coveted.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

You guys who don't think Sharp is a good player need reminders, type in Sharp, Stanley Cup on youtube if you have forgotten the Hawks cup run. He was hurt last year and still managed to score 34 goals, he is good defensively and can also kill penalties not to mention play PP.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote