HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs interested in Drury?

Old
06-11-2011, 11:08 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
He plays both guy. He can play both wings and the centre spot and that is why is he so coveted.
He was converted from winger to center and during the 09-10 playoffs he scored 22 points in 22 games, including scoring many key goals. He played Center all of last year and scored 34 goals and 71 points in 74 games. He did however play Center in Philly for Hitch, he far surpasses anything the Leafs have at the moment. He's 29 and in his prime. Fact is he can play both, but he was reportedly happy at center.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:08 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
You guys who don't think Sharp is a good player need reminders, type in Sharp, Stanley Cup on youtube if you have forgotten the Hawks cup run. He was hurt last year and still managed to score 34 goals, he is good defensively and can also kill penalties not to mention play PP.
Many on this board dont like Sharp.

Just a year ago people like Sean Linden(formerly JFried) and Zeke went as far as saying that Alexei Ponikarovski was just as good. I dont understand why anyone would want Laich over Sharp as Sharp is definitely the better of the two players.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:09 AM
A.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwist View Post
I'd take him for about $500,000. Nice for a third line
Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
750.000$ is minimum in NHL if I'm not mistaken.
$500,000 is league minimum.

A.J.  is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:10 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwist View Post
Sharp would be another Versteeg in Toronto, in my opinion.
Are you kidding me? If this were the case Bowman would have traded Sharp over Byfuglin or Versteeg.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:14 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Many on this board dont like Sharp.

Just a year ago people like Sean Linden(formerly JFried) and Zeke went as far as saying that Alexei Ponikarovski was just as good. I dont understand why anyone would want Laich over Sharp as Sharp is definitely the better of the two players.
If Sharp is going to test free agency next year, we will have threads of Sharp to Toronto much like we have Richards threads. Hey I am a leafs fan like most here, and we are in the same boat, but don't tell me Sharp is not a good player. Infact he is a very good player that would improve the Leafs substantially.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:15 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
What? You guys are going to argue with me that a deal like this would have to happen before July 1?

The only way the Rangers are going to even consider this trade is if they intend on making a pitch for Richards, meaning they have to get rid of Drury's salary. Their options -- buy him out or trade him. If it's a buyout, it has to happen between June 15 - 30th. There is no way they're going to be stupid enough to go into July with teams basically holding the Rangers at ransom, with no buyout recourse. Furthermore, they couldn't even formalize a contract with Richards with Drury on the roster.

Basically, they'll try to trade him, and if it doesn't happen he'll be bought out by June 30.

So, if you're Brian Burke, you've got 2 options.

#1. Play the fools game of trying to sign Brad Richards where you're going to have to sign him for 9 years at a contract that problably won't make sense to have in 2-3 years when this team has a chance to contend, meanwhile being stuck with Komisarek.

#2. Realize that signing Brad Richards for a price that makes sense isn't practical, get rid of Komisarek's 3-year contract in exchange for a 1-year to Chris Drury. Pursue a puckmover on the blueline this offseason, and set yourself up to have a ridiculous amount of cap space next year to get a #1 C.

I'll take door 2.

Drury is just as much of a leader as Komisarek, and unlike Komi actually fits into our lineup. Plus, Komi's not going to bounce back in Toronto, there are too many defencemen infront of him and he's a horrible fit with Ron Wilson.
So you want the Leafs to basically gift wrap Richards to NY while taking on a player who isn't even close to Richards skill at this point?

Also, how do you know that it's gonna take a 9 yr deal to get Richards? Please don't write an essay of what you think because you did the same for Frattin and many others only to be proven wrong. Richards easily has 4-6 good years left in him, he's probably going to go for a contract in the 5-7 year range and if Burke gets the contract right, then the last couple of years won't have a big hit on the cap. Richards can provide the same leadership as Drury, but with a lot more skill.

Also, please do tell which #1 centers are available next summer and the likelyhood of them remaining UFA/RFA until the end of next season? We know for a fact that Richards is hitting UFA, you don't bank on other players, especially talented #1 centers to be hitting UFA very often.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:17 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Drury has a NMC, and nobody is going to take a 7 million cap hit and he'll probably rather get the buyout. Why do you keep thinking he's going to take 9 years, (is it because he wants a 40 year contract), I doubt it's going to be 9 years, I'm confident it'll be a 7 year contract or less depending on the cap hit. There are no #1 C next season that they're probably be locked up. When opportunities come avaliable, you have to pound on it.
Yeah he does, which could of course pose a problem and is by far the biggest stumbling block here. Consider this though -- in a buyout, Drury gets 2/3 of his $5m paycheque, or $3.33m. After the last couple of seasons for Drury, is he looking at more than a $1.67m contract? Im not so sure.

I keep thinking 9 years because anything less would make no sense. Richards, like most hockey players, problably plans to retire around 37-39. By making it a 9 year deal, you reduce his cap hit and give him a better chance of winning a cup. It would make no sense to have the high cap hit then get to age 38 with no contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
Brad Richards is available this year and he is a #1 center, why on earth would you want to sign Drury and wait for some other #1 center to become available when players like Richards rarely if ever make it to UFA status?
Because Brad Richards will not be available to us for a price that makes sense for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I'm not doubting it, but we have no use for him really, even if it's to dump a contract - I refuse to believe that Mike Komisarek's value has dropped so much over one season that the best we can do is dump him for Drury. I would rather keep him and try and get something serviceable like a draft pick. Not to mention most of the defencemen in front of him are also young and in need of guidance in the next 1-2 seasons. We're not contending next season - hell making the playoffs will be a miracle so this seems like a kneejerk reaction to me for one poor season.

Not to mention, a quick scout down the FA list next season will tell you that there is no Brad Richards available in 2012.
We absolutely have use for him, we had one of the worst groups of centres in the league last year, Drury improves that no matter which way you slice it.

You can take the Brian Burke approach and refuse to believe that Komisarek's value has dropped so much, or you can accept reality and push for a deal that gets him out of Toronto. I would much rather get a draft pick for him, but that's just not practical, trading for Drury is a unique situation that allows the Rangers to view his cap hit as $800k this year.

Coaches are there for guidance, you don't pay a guy $4.5m to sit in the pressbox for guidance. Plus, our forwards are just as young for the most part, they need "guidance" too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
So you want the Leafs to basically gift wrap Richards to NY while taking on a player who isn't even close to Richards skill at this point?

Also, how do you know that it's gonna take a 9 yr deal to get Richards? Please don't write an essay of what you think because you did the same for Frattin and many others only to be proven wrong. Richards easily has 4-6 good years left in him, he's probably going to go for a contract in the 5-7 year range and if Burke gets the contract right, then the last couple of years won't have a big hit on the cap. Richards can provide the same leadership as Drury, but with a lot more skill.

Also, please do tell which #1 centers are available next summer and the likelyhood of them remaining UFA/RFA until the end of next season? We know for a fact that Richards is hitting UFA, you don't bank on other players, especially talented #1 centers to be hitting UFA very often.
No, I want to make a prudent move for the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. What the Rangers do, doesn't really matter.

How do I know it's gonna take a 9 year deal to get Richards? Because it's the deal that allows him to minimize his cap hit while maximizing his paycheque, maximizing his chances of winning a cup, and therefore serving everyone involved's best interests.

There aren't any #1 centres available in free agency next summer... but you're ignoring the possibility of a trade. No player in this league is untouchable, so suggesting that every centre is untouchable is a completely ubsurd statement.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:17 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:

Even before you can bank on anyone becoming a UFA next year, right now the only top line centre for 2012 UFA is Sharp. And it's more then likely Chicago locks him up since they didn't deal him.. Therefore, there's no point of not going for Richards because he's going to be the only #1 centre within the next 2 years that isn't an RFA.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:22 AM
The Blue Devil

LOL @ Sharp=Versteeg

Old
06-11-2011, 11:23 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
He was converted from winger to center and during the 09-10 playoffs he scored 22 points in 22 games, including scoring many key goals. He played Center all of last year and scored 34 goals and 71 points in 74 games. He did however play Center in Philly for Hitch, he far surpasses anything the Leafs have at the moment. He's 29 and in his prime. Fact is he can play both, but he was reportedly happy at center.
Yeah -- and for all those reasons he's going nowhere.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Yeah he does, which could of course pose a problem and is by far the biggest stumbling block here. Consider this though -- in a buyout, Drury gets 2/3 of his $5m paycheque, or $3.33m. After the last couple of seasons for Drury, is he looking at more than a $1.67m contract? Im not so sure.

I keep thinking 9 years because anything less would make no sense. Richards, like most hockey players, problably plans to retire around 37-39. By making it a 9 year deal, you reduce his cap hit and give him a better chance of winning a cup. It would make no sense to have the high cap hit then get to age 38 with no contract.

Because Brad Richards will not be available to us for a price that makes sense for us.

We absolutely have use for him, we had one of the worst groups of centres in the league last year, Drury improves that no matter which way you slice it.

You can take the Brian Burke approach and refuse to believe that Komisarek's value has dropped so much, or you can accept reality and push for a deal that gets him out of Toronto. I would much rather get a draft pick for him, but that's just not practical, trading for Drury is a unique situation that allows the Rangers to view his cap hit as $800k this year.

Coaches are there for guidance, you don't pay a guy $4.5m to sit in the pressbox for guidance. Plus, our forwards are just as young for the most part, they need "guidance" too.

No, I want to make a prudent move for the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. What the Rangers do, doesn't really matter.

How do I know it's gonna take a 9 year deal to get Richards? Because it's the deal that allows him to minimize his cap hit while maximizing his paycheque, maximizing his chances of winning a cup, and therefore serving everyone involved's best interests.

There aren't any #1 centres available in free agency next summer... but you're ignoring the possibility of a trade. No player in this league is untouchable, so suggesting that every centre is untouchable is a completely ubsurd statement.
SO you want to give up a 4.5m cap hit for a 7m cap hit for one year, in the hopes of trading for a #1 centre? There is no guarantee that a #1 centre is going to become available over the next year. And when teams know that there is no #1 centre for UFA, the price for #1 centre is going to sky rocket. Drury is nowhere close to a #1 and you've already said in the past using up valuable cap space on a single player isn't worth it.. Check your own avatar for confirmation on this.

We need to go after Richards because we don't need to be hoping for a #1 centre anymore. We have to get him for free besides cap space instead of getting Drury who's a number 3 centre at best now. Doesn't make sense.. Drury isn't worth it and I'd rather see the Rangers buy him out.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:29 AM
daveleaf

Sharp is a very very good NHL player. You may draft ten bodies before you find a Sharp.

Drury? I am baffled at even the notion of him coming here. He will end up in some location like Nashville or Minnesota playing for minimum. His body is washed up and we don't need him and I am certainly not going to help the Rangers.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:32 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Sharp is obviously a very good player. But come on,he's not on Richrds's level.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:35 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
SO you want to give up a 4.5m cap hit for a 7m cap hit for one year, in the hopes of trading for a #1 centre? There is no guarantee that a #1 centre is going to become available over the next year. And when teams know that there is no #1 centre for UFA, the price for #1 centre is going to sky rocket. Drury is nowhere close to a #1 and you've already said in the past using up valuable cap space on a single player isn't worth it.. Check your own avatar for confirmation on this.

We need to go after Richards because we don't need to be hoping for a #1 centre anymore. We have to get him for free besides cap space instead of getting Drury who's a number 3 centre at best now. Doesn't make sense.. Drury isn't worth it and I'd rather see the Rangers buy him out.
Yeah -- and if a #1 centre to build around doesn't become available, you make one available by offering whatever it takes to get one. Drury isn't close to a #1 centre, what he is -- is a way to get rid of Komisarek.

We need to stay away from Richards because we don't need to be committing 9 years at over $6m to a 31 year old player. I don't know where this "free" nonsense comes from, that's at least $54m.

Of course you'd rather see the rangers buy him out, they're an opposing team. Trades generally have to help both teams involved.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:36 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
No he's not but pretty close. When you look at last year one was making 3.9 and the other 7.8 than for a lot of teams that is the deciding factor. I would love either but would hop for Richards.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
I think Lupul and Sharp's offensive accumen if around the same if they played the same role, but obviously Lupul's defensive defiency is what makes Sharp the better player overall.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Yeah -- and for all those reasons he's going nowhere.
You should be busy tonite forecasting 649 lottery numbers, do you foresee this also.

Old
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Yeah -- and if a #1 centre to build around doesn't become available, you make one available by offering whatever it takes to get one. Drury isn't close to a #1 centre, what he is -- is a way to get rid of Komisarek.

We need to stay away from Richards because we don't need to be committing 9 years at over $6m to a 31 year old player. I don't know where this "free" nonsense comes from, that's at least $54m.

Of course you'd rather see the rangers buy him out, they're an opposing team. Trades generally have to help both teams involved.
So instead of just adding Richards without trading Komisarek, and adding a crap contract in Drury who can barely play.. You want to give up prospects, picks, and other core players just for a number one centre that we could add without giving up prospects and picks? Sounds pretty unreasonable.. I'd rather trade Komisarek for some one who is going to help out more then Drury, because the guy is hurt and isn't the same player he use to be.

And by free, I mean we aren't giving anything but what we have a lot of, cap. You want to give up Schenn, Kadri and a few firsts to add a spot of dire need instead of just signing him long term? If we are trading for a #1 centre, we are taking some one with a worse contract then what we could get Richards for, imo.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:46 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:

You gonna explain the whole 9 years thing or are you just gonna keep repeating it like it's fact without backing it up?

Old
06-11-2011, 11:48 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

what's with some of you people who want to sign everything that moves? jeez

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:49 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
So instead of just adding Richards without trading Komisarek, and adding a crap contract in Drury who can barely play.. You want to give up prospects, picks, and other core players just for a number one centre that we could add without giving up prospects and picks? Sounds pretty unreasonable.. I'd rather trade Komisarek for some one who is going to help out more then Drury, because the guy is hurt and isn't the same player he use to be.

And by free, I mean we aren't giving anything but what we have a lot of, cap. You want to give up Schenn, Kadri and a few firsts to add a spot of dire need instead of just signing him long term? If we are trading for a #1 centre, we are taking some one with a worse contract then what we could get Richards for, imo.
Yes, I want to give up picks, prospects, and players to get a centre to build around. Unless we draft one or one becomes available in UFA (Brad Richards is not a centre for us to build around), that's the only way to get one.

As for your analysis of "free", that's like saying "I'll get a car for free, I'm just giving up $20,000".

Furthermore, do you not see the basic flaw in what you're saying about Richards so called favourable contract. If in fact it was so favourable, you'd have teams begging us to take their centre in order to accomodate Richards "favourable" contract, increasing the bidding for Richards and thereby making the contract no longer favourable.

Quote:
You gonna explain the whole 9 years thing or are you just gonna keep repeating it like it's fact without backing it up?
Am I the only one who remembers the Ilya Kovalchuk debacle?!?

As a result of that debacle and the open investigations on a bunch of other contracts (Luongo, Hossa, etc.) the NHL decided that all long term contracts (5 years+) would have the cap hit calculated only until the player is 40, and then go year-by-year after that. Richards is a player who can be expected to decline going forward in his career, and likely retire around 37-39. That means, he won't be able to earn any NHL money at ages 38, 39 and 40. By signing a 9 year deal with "fluff" years on the end of it, he reduces his cap hit without impacting the money he earns, thereby increasing his chances of winning. Best for all parties involved.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:51 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Brad Richards makes a lot of sense for us.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:52 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Yes, I want to give up picks, prospects, and players to get a centre to build around. Unless we draft one or one becomes available in UFA (Brad Richards is not a centre for us to build around), that's the only way to get one.

As for your analysis of "free", that's like saying "I'll get a car for free, I'm just giving up $20,000".

Furthermore, do you not see the basic flaw in what you're saying about Richards so called favourable contract. If in fact it was so favourable, you'd have teams begging us to take their centre in order to accomodate Richards "favourable" contract, increasing the bidding for Richards and thereby making the contract no longer favourable.
So because 1 UFA centre becomes available and could be a good addition to one team, doesn't mean it's a good addition to every team. You should know this.. Richards is exactly what Kessel needs, what this team needs.. In the world of hockey, UFA is considered free, it's like a free wallet as Burke says. Because you're getting him for just CAP. You're not giving up the core, the future, or half the team to get Richards. If you want to DRAFT a #1 centre, we can't trade for one. You need to pick. Richards is available now, and we need a centre, now. Therefore, it's logical for us to want Richards and for it to be a good fit. Just because you don't like the term for Richards, doesn't mean it isn't logical. Go back to your fortune telling booth because there is no guarantee that it's going to be a 9 year deal that gets Richards, hell it might not even be a 5 year deal. Who knows? Definitely not you, so stop pretending that you know the term.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:52 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
They are very comparable, let's look at last years stats:

Richards - 72 28g 49a 77p +1
Sharp - 74 34g 37a 71p -1

The year Richards won the conn smyth he had 26 pts in 23 games.

The year the hawks won the cup Sharp had 22 pts in 22 games.

Sharp is also a complete player that kills penalties. They are certainly on the same level and when one makes half the salary of the other, Sharp certainly outperformed Richards last year.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:56 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
rather have bozak play 3rd line C

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote