HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs interested in Drury?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2011, 10:11 PM
  #176
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
No, there isn't by definition harm in signing free agents. There is harm in signing free agents to contracts that don't make sense for your team.
Which has nothing to do with the free wallets, as not one of them is overpaid.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:25 PM
  #177
Thrillingbroom
Registered User
 
Thrillingbroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 500
I find it hard to believe someone can be stubborn enough that a player making $900k and playing as the first line centre is a detrimental to our team.

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:12 PM
  #178
stanleyorbust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 856
vCash: 500
I know most fans seem to have a real man crush on Tim Brent (including management) but I just don't see it.

Depending what Burke's plan is.. someone like Drury would provide a HUGE leadership role to the young leafs. Leafs are lacking a few vets who have been there, and done that. Drury won a cup with Colorado, plays an all around game.. even if his offense has been slipping considerably. Put him on the 3rd/4th line and I think he would contribute a great deal to this team. HOWEVER.... I am absolutely against trading for him.. has to be bought out by the NYR and I'd offer him a 2 year 2- 3 million deal. But obviously this depends on what Burke plans on doing with the depth chart down the middle.

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:15 AM
  #179
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,896
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Yeah -- players often chose to remain where they have settled. Once he hits the open market, a good team is the one who should offer more money, and obviously more desirable to Richards than a losing team.

"<INSERT GM NAME HERE> just needs to sell Richards that the team is on the verge of winning and becoming a good team"... while other GMs have a winning record to back that up.
The Leafs were very close to making the playoffs. If Richards has said before he'd love to play in Canada, coming and bringing the Leafs back into the post-season would put him on the map. You don't think that's a selling point? I think it would be.. He's a Canadian guy and he knows exactly what it means, I'm sure that's intriguing enough..

You really have a hate for Burke, you always call him a loud mouth, no wonder you criticize and belittle everything he does. You're one of the people that are never satisfied no matter what is put in front of you. I understand the Leafs haven't been successful as of late, but of all the things that have happened to improve the Leafs, you've never had a positive thing to say..

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
  #180
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
The Leafs were very close to making the playoffs. If Richards has said before he'd love to play in Canada, coming and bringing the Leafs back into the post-season would put him on the map. You don't think that's a selling point? I think it would be.. He's a Canadian guy and he knows exactly what it means, I'm sure that's intriguing enough..

You really have a hate for Burke, you always call him a loud mouth, no wonder you criticize and belittle everything he does. You're one of the people that are never satisfied no matter what is put in front of you. I understand the Leafs haven't been successful as of late, but of all the things that have happened to improve the Leafs, you've never had a positive thing to say..
Being a realist, I'm not in the corner that the Leafs were actually that close to making the playoffs last year, sure they made great strides but it's a 82 game season and we still have gaping weaknesses on this team, poor speciality teams, no no.1 center, lack of depth on D while hoping that guys who had career years have just as good years as last season. I would like to be optimistic but it is not unreasonable to think other teams around them improving also. The parody from 3rd last to a playoff team will likely be no more than 10 pts. It's crazy but the Leafs could be a lottery team if Burke cannot fill the holes on this team this offseason.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
  #181
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,669
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
sign both richards and drury

drury has a knee issue and needs it to be resolved.

richards had a concussion but im not too worried about it.


drury is a 4rd line guy ala peca and richards can be your new dougie gilmour for 3 peak seasons

drury 1.5 mil to 2 mil

richards 7-8 mil

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:08 AM
  #182
TeamBester
Debunked
 
TeamBester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Which has nothing to do with the free wallets, as not one of them is overpaid.
Bozak didn`t justify his cap hit.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:17 AM
  #183
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!
 
Cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,155
vCash: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
Bozak didn`t justify his cap hit.
The biggest misconception on the Leafs board.

Because of the bonus cushion Bozak impact on the cap was about $875,000. You don't think he justified that?

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:23 AM
  #184
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,708
vCash: 500
Speaking of cap hits I was reading Seguin's cap hit is going to be bigger than 1st thought due to his bonuses this year, and next year it's going to be 3.25 according to Hockey news this month, I read this at Chapters, it's a little complicated but Bruins are going to have to watch their cap.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:27 AM
  #185
TeamBester
Debunked
 
TeamBester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
The biggest misconception on the Leafs board.

Because of the bonus cushion Bozak impact on the cap was about $875,000. You don't think he justified that?
Ah forgot about the cushion, thanks.

No, I dont believe he earned too much of that money.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:44 AM
  #186
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,896
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Being a realist, I'm not in the corner that the Leafs were actually that close to making the playoffs last year, sure they made great strides but it's a 82 game season and we still have gaping weaknesses on this team, poor speciality teams, no no.1 center, lack of depth on D while hoping that guys who had career years have just as good years as last season. I would like to be optimistic but it is not unreasonable to think other teams around them improving also. The parody from 3rd last to a playoff team will likely be no more than 10 pts. It's crazy but the Leafs could be a lottery team if Burke cannot fill the holes on this team this offseason.
If Brad Richards comes to this team, it improves our special teams as he is great on the PP, and Phaneuf is now healthy finally. He is a number 1 centre, which is one of the biggest holes we have, filled. Lack of depth on D? Really? Lebda was our 6th guy, and he barely even played once we called up Lashoff. Komisarek is our 5th defenseman.. Pretty good depth imo. Although I'd say the problem was just the way our defense played, not really our depth. But I think they are starting to settle in together..

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:03 PM
  #187
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!
 
Cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,155
vCash: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
Ah forgot about the cushion, thanks.

No, I dont believe he earned too much of that money.
Points per $ he earned less than Kessel, Grabo or Kule. People's expectations of Bozak were way to high last season. And now those same people are way to quick to write him off.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
  #188
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Speaking of cap hits I was reading Seguin's cap hit is going to be bigger than 1st thought due to his bonuses this year, and next year it's going to be 3.25 according to Hockey news this month, I read this at Chapters, it's a little complicated but Bruins are going to have to watch their cap.
This is not a Seguin thing but rather a CBA thing and its all based on the current CBA expiring.

Readers digest version reason is that the 7.5% bonus cushion does not exist above the hard cap in years in which the CBA is ending or needs to be extended. So therefore every single player, that is playing in the NHL next year on his entry level contract, will count both his base + his full bonuses (unearned) against the Teams Salary Cap ceiling.

ie Kadri has a $900k base + $820 bonus = $1.72 mil and the full amount will count against Leaf Cap, where last season only the $900k base + earned bonuses would have.

Sequin being only 18 should likely have been returned to junior last year, however Boston knowing that this bonus cushion would not be available for 2011-12 season, decided it was best to get his first season experience under his belt last year.. Now Sequin enters this season with a full year and playoffs under his belt and therefore expected to have a much bigger impact statistically, which will help Boston with his higher Cap hit.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 04:12 PM
  #189
TeamBester
Debunked
 
TeamBester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Points per $ he earned less than Kessel, Grabo or Kule. People's expectations of Bozak were way to high last season. And now those same people are way to quick to write him off.
personally I never expected Bozak to be a 1st liner, having said that I think he will turn out better than Stajan.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.