HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And Our First UFA Signing of the Year Is.... (merged)

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Blueshirt13

vCash: 500
And Our First UFA Signing of the Year Is....

Drum roll please........

Annoying you yet?

Jason Strudwick formerly of the Blackhawks.

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLA...io.asp?ID=5453

Plays D and LW so I am guessing LW on the 4th as an enforcer.

Old
07-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

i thought this team was rebuilding.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
I like this Move. Great team player and with everyone else arou us getting bigger he helps combat the larger Flyer and Devil teams. Dale is gone with this signing and with teams like Nashville pilling up goons look for a trade for a legit heavyweight soon.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Born in Edmonton, what a shock.

Old
07-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
he has played under Renney Maloney and Fotiu guess they liked the guy if they bring him in to push guys like Dale and other dead weight i love it

Old
07-20-2004, 11:08 AM
NYI

just think he used to be a Islander:p

Old
07-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...ck&hubName=CHI

Quote:
Preseason projected role: Strudwick could see playing time at both left wing and defense for the Blackhawks in 2003-04. He'll provide a lot of muscle wherever he plays.

Assets: Possesses the mass necessary to take on the biggest power forwards in the NHL. Works his tail off and doesn't shy away from the rough stuff. Leaves nothing in the dressing room.

Flaws: Lacks offensive acumen. Doesn't have the foot speed or puck-handling ability to be anything more than a depth defenseman. Might be better suited to playing wing in the NHL, mainly because of his limitations.

Career potential: Utility player.
I definitely like this addition... not a big name, just someone who puts in the effort, a role player.

Old
07-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Fish

Looks like the first OFFICIAL signing is an AHL defender, Trevor Gillies:

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=1273

Old
07-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Fotiu22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Looks like the first OFFICIAL signing is an AHL defender, Trevor Gillies:

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=1273
Third in the AHL in Fighting majors... 277 pims... nice

anyone have a Link for the Strudwick signing?? I can't find any official news about it other than his profile on nhlpa.com says his team is rangers. would like to see a link.

Old
07-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Hordichuk_24

Gillies is pretty tough. He is a southpaw too...

Old
07-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Fotiu22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22
anyone have a Link for the Strudwick signing??

here it is:
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=1272

Old
07-20-2004, 11:38 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Ugh... big deal... Strudwick...?

Old
07-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

I like this, if for no other reason then it might get rid of Dale.

Old
07-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 641
lets look at the bigger picture here for a sec. in years past, the first official signing of the rangers would have been a dave karpa for 3-4 mill a year or a valery kamensky for 3-4 mill. rangers USED TO just buy big name players over the hill and sign them to large long term deals. this is not a big name player, he is not over the hill (29) and i'm sure they didnt give him a lot of money. i'd take strudwick over dave karpa, igor ulanov, etc, ANY DAY. is he going to be a top-four guy? NO. but what makes him different from ulanov and karpa is that this guy at 29 still has some things to prove and he wants to prove them. he has been bounced around the nhl for a while so he will be MOTIVATED to WORK HARD and stick around. what kind of motivation did karpa or ulanov have when both were established players close to retirement?! plus, they got huge salaries so why work hard?!

Old
07-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
I wonder why the Rangers would sign this guy even at only 650k when they have a player w/ the same type of game who is much younger(w/ more upside) in Martin Grenier?

Old
07-20-2004, 12:01 PM
barnaby63

Grenier has no upside. All he is is a goon who cant play defense and cant play foward.

At least Strudwick has a good attitude.

Old
07-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Big deal...............two depth goons............preseason should be filled with fights.

Old
07-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Fish

I don't see any problem with having Grenier and Strudwick both...if anything I was kind of surprised they kept Grenier around after he was scratched in the AHL conference finals. But I guess the Rangers need a goon contingent and they've added Strudwick now along with Gillies, who looks to me more like a slightly better version of McIntyre...at least based on his stats and career.

Old
07-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 641
i think the Rangers signed Strudwick for depth and his physical play on defense. if you look at our defenseman right now, there arent too many physical guys there: poti, rachunek, tyutin, pock are all not very physical players. yes, we still have kasparaitis but he cant play on all 3 pairings . kondratiev may be a bit physical but who knows if he'll even make the team. so now, with kasparaitis and strudwick, we at least have 2 players who can play against power forwards. as for purrinton ,i'm also not sure if he'll even make the team...i hope he does...if so, then we'll have 3 tough dmen, which is what u need on any team.

Old
07-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
i think the Rangers signed Strudwick for depth and his physical play on defense. if you look at our defenseman right now, there arent too many physical guys there: poti, rachunek, tyutin, pock are all not very physical players. yes, we still have kasparaitis but he cant play on all 3 pairings . kondratiev may be a bit physical but who knows if he'll even make the team. so now, with kasparaitis and strudwick, we at least have 2 players who can play against power forwards. as for purrinton ,i'm also not sure if he'll even make the team...i hope he does...if so, then we'll have 3 tough dmen, which is what u need on any team.
Please god no on Purinton. This is a guy who Sather wanted to send down to the minors last year to allow him some playing time and he refused. He's not talented enough (if at all) to have that sort of attitude.

Old
07-20-2004, 12:45 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I asked a Hawks fan about him ('cause I'm one of the few guys who is not JD, and doesn't know EVERYTHING about EVERY player). This guy seemed to know our team... he said Strudwick is an upgrade from Purinton. OK. But how much of an upgrade? Purinton was detrimental... so what is Strudwick? Neutral factor?

Hahahahaha... basically, yeah, we got two goons, big whoop! I love the word "goon." Gillies won't even play in the NHL, he's Jeff Paul no. 2... Grenier sucks... McAllister is a whimp of an Irishman. Not a huge upgrade, but it's something.

Old
07-20-2004, 01:01 PM
NYR469

2 decent little signing...adds a little bit of depth and toughness

nothing to get too excited about, but we definitely need more depth and toughness

Old
07-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Fletch

It's a non-event..

he can play, if need be. If he sat, then so what. Point is a signing like this provides insurance over youth, but doesn't block it at all. Strudwick ain't nothing great, but he can play on a third pair, be tough, protect some players, as well as fill-in as forward on occasion. He's a capable depth guy. And yes, it probably means goodbye to Dale. A slight upgrade, but when your upgrading that position 6/7 defenseman, fourth line forward), you don't expect any significant improvement.

Old
07-20-2004, 01:08 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
he can play, if need be. If he sat, then so what. Point is a signing like this provides insurance over youth, but doesn't block it at all. Strudwick ain't nothing great, but he can play on a third pair, be tough, protect some players, as well as fill-in as forward on occasion. He's a capable depth guy. And yes, it probably means goodbye to Dale. A slight upgrade, but when your upgrading that position 6/7 defenseman, fourth line forward), you don't expect any significant improvement.

Their is smart toughness and stupid toughness.

Strudwick is smart toughness. I was watching a few hawks games last year and their were 2 times last year that he would not only take a penalty but he would get another player to take a penalty as well and that player would usually be a better one. Not saying Strudwick is not that good, its just good to see that he gets other players to take penalties as well. Maybe he can get a few PP for our team.

Purinton is stupid toughness. Maybe a good guy in the locker room, but how many times have he caused the Rangers to be on the PK, umm I think alot.

Old
07-20-2004, 02:14 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Rangers SIGN, D - Jason Strudwick

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=91718

perhaps renney coached him while in vancouver? 6'3" 230. big crease clearer. defensive depth. he might play in hartford. i dunno. apparently played some wing. thoughts? comments? questions?

tsn says:

Preseason projected role -
Strudwick could see playing time at both left wing and defense for the Blackhawks in 2003-04. He'll provide a lot of muscle wherever he plays.

Assets -
Possesses the mass necessary to take on the biggest power forwards in the NHL. Works his tail off and doesn't shy away from the rough stuff. Leaves nothing in the dressing room.

Flaws -
Lacks offensive acumen. Doesn't have the foot speed or puck-handling ability to be anything more than a depth defenseman. Might be better suited to playing wing in the NHL, mainly because of his limitations.

Career potential -
Utility player.

Closed Thread