HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Discussion VII

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Well...look on the bright side. If Boston wins game 6, they play game 7. Game 7's have been pretty good to Boston this year. Maybe 7 is their lucky number.
Well that's the thing, I'm fully confident that Boston will come out and win Game 6. But based on what I've seen so far, I don't think Claude Julien can coach them to a road win. Five losses in a row on the road when he doesn't get last change, and the PP looked as bad as ever tonight. I'm not sure what the record is, but I'd imagine the Bruins are probably in the running for best goal differential in a lost series. They could finish +10 with a GAA of 1.00 and not win. There's no words to describe that.

Hell, the Canucks have a differential of -4 up to this point in the playoffs. If they close this out, they will probably have allowed more goals than they scored over the course of two months. What a "worthy" champion...

Old
06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Thomas should have the Vezina locked up unless he absolutely craps the bed the rest of the way. Not ONE Canuck has stepped up in this round.

Unfortunately, that's also a compliment. They've looked confused and out of sync for much of this series and they're still going to win.
Exactly. The Sedins have been crap, Kesler has been crap and Luongo has let in two touchdowns. Thomas is clearly the best player in this series.

And yes, Lucic has sucked ass too. Frustrating as hell.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Thomas should have the Vezina locked up unless he absolutely craps the bed the rest of the way. Not ONE Canuck has stepped up in this round.

Unfortunately, that's also a compliment. They've looked confused and out of sync for much of this series and they're still going to win.
I think reverse psychology is Vancouver will be nervous trying to do everything they can, and Boston will play a strong "road" game. Essentially having the cup in the building as a deterrent. Vancouver has all the pressure right now, Boston is almost playing not to see the damn thing and thats all the motivation they need.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Hah, I called the Conn Smythe the Vezina. Sorry, too much to drink.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Lucic had a relatively strong regular season but returned to the form that he had 2009/2010.

He's a lot like Dustin Penner.

Old
oilfaninvan

I too am confident that Boston will win gm 6. Anything can happen though and I'd be more comfortable if Boston had won tonight. Each game in Van has been a 1 goal game. Crazy how in Boston it's 12-1. Just weird.

If Vancouver wins this thing I definitely won't be on facebook for about 3 months and I will steer very clear of TSN, CBC etc. I honestly don't even know if I will watch the trophy handed out. It's just a shame that a team like the Canucks are this close to the cup. Tonight was a huge disappointment, I thought Boston was going to play much better and at least pester/hit the canucks but they came out like weak girls.

It will be interesting though if Boston can muster up another BIG win in Boston something like 4-0 or 6-1 or something crazy.

I think this series is going game 7 overtime and will most likely be a 1-0 game.

I hate the canucks and their fans (some are my friends) so much, all of my friends on facebook are being complete arrogant morons right now. They are mad that Burrows didn't draw a penalty when SALO'S stick "hit" him. c'mon. it's just embarrassing and it's not like I can get into an argument with these people, they are completely brainwashed at the moment.

really frustrating as a hockey fan and human being.

Edit: if Van wins, i hope at least Thomas gets the Conn Smythe. at LEAST.

Old
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
The last few times a road team has won a game 7....

2009 Pittsburgh Penguins
1971 Montreal Canadiens

That is correct, once in 39 years...
Ahhhh, but there is the key to Pandora's box..last time the B's won the cup was 39 years ago...i believe

Old
06-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

So I watched NBC's feed tonight (I might switch back to CBC for Game 6) and apparently Hughson emphatically shouted, "Ron McLean who do you think should start Game 6 now?"

What's wrong with this child?

Old
06-10-2011, 10:42 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
So I watched NBC's feed tonight (I might switch back to CBC for Game 6) and apparently Hughson emphatically shouted, "Ron McLean who do you think should start Game 6 now?"

What's wrong with this child?
Someone should send Hughson a Boston jersey if they win the cup

Old
06-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
Someone should send Hughson a Boston jersey if they win the cup
Unfortunately, with all the Canucks homerism infecting CBC Hughson's position as the national broadcaster won't be evaluated. What a joke.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Unfortunately, with all the Canucks homerism infecting CBC Hughson's position as the national broadcaster won't be evaluated. What a joke.
CBC as a whole is being a homer network towards the Canucks. That is the nature of the CBC, nothing can be done because they feel they are doing the right thing.

Thankfully, there is NBC.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Kershaw

I found this on Oilersnation good stuff haha.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Kyle McMahon

Yeah, at this point Thomas pretty much has the Smythe locked up unless Krejci bags five goals in the next two games. As hard as I am on Timmy, I can sort of forgive the weak goals if they're the ONLY ones he allows. I cannot get over the fact that he's only allowed six goals in five games. Being up 3-2 in that situation is somewhat unlucky, being down 3-2 is incomprehensible.

The Sedins have basically played terrible in 3/4 rounds. Kesler has been a non-factor in a good 10 games or so. Luongo has been shelled multiple times in two different series, and let in game-changing goals from behind the net in another. The depth scorers Raymond, Samuelsson, Higgins completely irrelevent (or injured). Alain Vigneault has been his very average self behind the bench. Their PP has gone ice cold in the final. And somehow this team is on the verge of winning a Cup?

Law of averages at play I guess, that's about as good an explaination as I've got right now. Once every so often a team will play thoroughly average through the two month grind and somehow find themselves with the Cup at the end. Not one team out of the 16 stepped up and asserted themselves as worthy champions this year, not one. But somebody has to win the thing. Just too damn bad it happens to be the Canucks coming up aces in an anomaly of a year.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
CBC as a whole is being a homer network towards the Canucks. That is the nature of the CBC, nothing can be done because they feel they are doing the right thing.

Thankfully, there is NBC.
They've even got Cherry reigned in.

Paraphrased: "I love the way Boston is playing but I think that Vancouver is going to win."

Don is NOT thinking that.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:55 PM
McDeepika

Has there ever been a team so close to winning the cup where all their top players are underperforming?

The Sedins have been garbage save for the San Jose series. Kesler has been garbage save for the Nashville series. Luongo has been good at times/bad at times. The only consistent players they have going up front are Burrows and the Hansen/Lapiere/Torres line. I don't think I remeber such a group of misfits carrying a team like this.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:55 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
How I long for the days of Greg Millen now that was an announcer. They don't really have anyone to replace Simpson and Hughson I disrespect the fact that they never showed this kind of homerism to the Oilers or Flames or even Senators. It all has to do with who gives the most amount of money. That equals who gets the most games per year (usually Toronto & Vancouver)

Old
06-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Has there ever been a team so close to winning the cup where all their top players are underperforming?

The Sedins have been garbage save for the San Jose series. Kesler has been garbage save for the Nashville series. Luongo has been good at times/bad at times. The only consistent players they have going up front are Burrows and the Hansen/Lapiere/Torres line. I don't think I remeber such a group of misfits carrying a team like this.
How appalling is it that Burrows is probably Vancouver's leading Smythe candidate? I don't think the absurdity of this whole thing has sunk in until now. This would be like Dave Lumley carrying the Oilers to a Cup in 1984.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
How I long for the days of Greg Millen now that was an announcer. They don't really have anyone to replace Simpson and Hughson I disrespect the fact that they never showed this kind of homerism to the Oilers or Flames or even Senators. It all has to do with who gives the most amount of money. That equals who gets the most games per year (usually Toronto & Vancouver)
CBC would still have Cuthbert if they weren't such goofs.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
CBC would still have Cuthbert if they weren't such goofs.
How much it is a distant memory he was with them. Honestly how many of us would take Peter Loubardias right now haha We may here Grrrrrrreeeeeet Save!!! but he is a Saskatchewan guy he would be at least unbiased

Old
06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Hughson was the Sportsnet guy for Vancouver games, lives in Vancouver and is actually a big canucks fan. He never apologized for that fact when he worked at sportsnet, same with Don Taylor. But now that he's at CBC nothing has changed except he doesn't outright admit it.

Quote:
They've even got Cherry reigned in.

Paraphrased: "I love the way Boston is playing but I think that Vancouver is going to win."

Don is NOT thinking that.
I was thinking the same thing. You know, Don Cherry isn't ALWAYS right LOL he likes to make it known when he predicts things correctly but he has also been wrong many a time too.

You know he's cheering for Boston.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
How much it is a distant memory he was with them. Honestly how many of us would take Peter Loubardias right now haha We may here Grrrrrrreeeeeet Save!!! but he is a Saskatchewan guy he would be at least unbiased
Cuthbert would be beyond perfect for these games. I have absolutely NO CLUE which team he's behind when I watch TSN.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:07 PM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Cuthbert would be beyond perfect for these games. I have absolutely NO CLUE which team he's behind when I watch TSN.
Cuthbert is the best play by play guy on earth IMO.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:07 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post
Hughson was the Sportsnet guy for Vancouver games, lives in Vancouver and is actually a big canucks fan. He never apologized for that fact when he worked at sportsnet, same with Don Taylor. But now that he's at CBC nothing has changed except he doesn't outright admit it.

I was thinking the same thing. You know, Don Cherry isn't ALWAYS right LOL he likes to make it known when he predicts things correctly but he has also been wrong many a time too.

Don references when he is right, not when is wrong

He is a diehard Bruins fan, If you seen that CBC documentary on him, he basically thanks the Bruins for everything of giving him the chance that he got getting to coach Bobby Orr. There's a lot of loyalty on his side to that team through his heart, and thats all that matters.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post

I can absolutely guarantee that Cherry has been cheering against Vancouver in every round. He despises this team along with the rest of us. CBC makes him join the parade of schmucks though in touting their greatness. Can't fault Don though, he's got about a million reasons per season to toe the company line. I'd pretend to cheer for Vancouver too if I was offered that kind of coin to do so.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:10 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Yea even a guy like Gord Miller is not as bad as Hughson. Hughson definitely needs his name put on the cup if they win.

Maybe this is a weird twilight zone episode right now - All guys I hate Lapierre, Burrows, Torres, and Kesler about to win the cup. Snap me out of it.

Closed Thread