HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Discussion VII

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Auguste Escoffier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Uphill battle though. Road teams never win Game 7...
Eh. That's what the playoffs are for: Making History. If the Canucks had been completely dominating the entire series, then I wouldn't have an issue with them being crowned five games into the series.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:56 PM
OilerNut*

Glad I have Morgan to comfort me tonight.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Glad I have Morgan to comfort me tonight.

What about us, the ones who don't drink?

Old
06-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise09 View Post
And now since they won you're back to your normal self. Geezus, go to the Nuck board.
So in other words its fine to talk trash about the games when Boston wins but anybody with a differeing impression should just shut up if the unthinkably unholy happens.

Its just discussion and I am interested in how people think about these things.

My own memory is that previous results in SC finals have little bearing on subsequent results. Blowouts are not especially significant and only represent one win of course.

There was an impression oft stated here that Nucks were dead and Bruins were going to walk away with it after what happened in Boston.

I could joke around about the Nucks sucking tonight but how honest would that be in lieu of what transpired. They pitched in effect a no hitter. Decent turn around.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Eh. That's what the playoffs are for: Making History. If the Canucks had been completely dominating the entire series, then I wouldn't have an issue with them being crowned five games into the series.
That's what bothers me the most. The Bruins have been clearly the better team.

I also thought that the Canucks would eat them alive on the powerplay and that hasn't happened.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
I don't know. When you're starved for goals and Seguin only plays 12 seconds on the powerplay, I have little faith in the guy calling the shots. Julien had proven time and time again that he's not willing to change things up on the fly. I think he's too stubborn. Thomas has been pretty much flawless in 4 of the 5 games and they're one loss away from elimination. If he had any goal support he probably could have been raising the cup over his head tonight....and I know they scored a bunch of goals in game 3 and 4 but a lot of that had to do with Luongo beating him. Don't expect to see that guy in game 6 or 7.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:03 AM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The Canucks won the game, 7oungo pitched a shutout. Not at all what a lot of people were saying was going to occur. Thats all.

Momentum in a SC final is only momentary. Not necessarily game to game.

last I checked a win is a win is a win.

When Vancouver goes onto win the Cup are people going to request a recount because they only win by one goal.

If anything Bostons undoing in this series is an inability to win the close games and get the huge goal in a close game. Boston's also the only one thats given up a lead and lost in this series.

Its not how you win on the scoreboad obviously. Boston's 12 goals mean sweet bugger all. They don't count towards anything else, they don't matter.
You're spot on with this Replacement but beware of the backlash because it's illegal to credit the Canucks for anything on this board.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Are you using a new translation software system? Coodo's.
And are you using a new dialect of English? The word is "kudos".

Old
06-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Looks like I was right on all counts. last 2 games meant very little, teams had only succeeded in holding serve to this point, momentum would not be a factor in this one, and going back to Vancouver allowed Luongo and the Canucks a "reset"

I can't understand how people felt the Nucks were done in this series. Boston was the desperate team in Boston. Once the series is tied all of that differential motivation is reset.

Now Boston will again have to be more motivated in the next one to avoid elimination but now with the Nucks smelling blood and one game away. This is a real tough uphill battle for Boston now.

In fairness to the Nucks they worked harder than anybody all season(and its not even close) so that they could have the home court advantage.
Really now hmm Van won one of those the series is over. Well news flash Replacement the series is still on because of those 2 games. And for Bos 2 win 2 games in a row with Thomas in net is far from Impossible.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:07 AM
frag2

Quote:
The Canucks won the game, 7oungo pitched a shutout. Not at all what a lot of people were saying was going to occur. Thats all.

Momentum in a SC final is only momentary. Not necessarily game to game.

last I checked a win is a win is a win.

When Vancouver goes onto win the Cup are people going to request a recount because they only win by one goal.

If anything Bostons undoing in this series is an inability to win the close games and get the huge goal in a close game. Boston's also the only one thats given up a lead and lost in this series.

Its not how you win on the scoreboad obviously. Boston's 12 goals mean sweet bugger all. They don't count towards anything else, they don't matter.
And if Vancouver doesn't win, what are you gonna say?

Old
06-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
And are you using a new dialect of English? The word is "kudos".
Thanks for the auto correct, your nerdness. Hope thats the right spelling?

Old
06-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
And if Vancouver doesn't win, what are you gonna say?
Well, this has been going on the whole playoffs hasn't it? Vancouver Sucks against Chicago, they'll get killed, no wait nashville will kill the Canucks, no wait, Sharks will.

This board has pinned its bandwagon hopes on whoever faces the Nucks and with such a fervor and zeal that its hard to say anything different.

I feel like this is like faith based worship. Read from the scriptures or GTFO. I've had quite a few people tell me to get off the forum because I'm not reading from the "right" book.

Curiosly enough Mark Messier, who's in St Albert, yesterday was quoted saying of course he's pulling for the Canucks, Canadian based team, he played there, and figures its been along time since a Canadian team won it and is hoping that they do. Of course nobody here quotes that but will quote any player saying they hate the Canucks.

This specific board just has a real hate on for Vancouver or any other Canadian team that might ever win the damned thing. It reads a bit like contempt.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-11-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old
06-11-2011, 12:22 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Well, this has been going on the whole playoffs hasn't it? Vancouver Sucks against Chicago, they'll get killed, no wait nashville will kill the Canucks, no wait, Sharks will.

This board has pinned its bandwagon hopes on whoever faces the Nucks and with such a fervor and zeal that its hard to say anything different.

I feel like this is like faith based worship. Read from the scriptures or GTFO. I've had quite a few people tell me to get off the forum because I'm not reading from the "right" book.

Curiosly enough Mark Messier, who's in St Albert, yesterday was quoted saying of course he's pulling for the Canucks, Canadian team, he played there, and figures its been along time since a Canadian team won it and is hoping that they do. Of course nobody here quotes that but will quote any player saying they hate the Canucks.

This specific board just has a real hate on for Vancouver or any other Canadian team that might ever win the damned thing. It reads a bit like contempt.
Oh, the irony.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Heh, I don't have a problem with any Canadian team winning outside of the Canucks.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
Did the Bruins get one good shoot at Luongo's glove hand tonight? All were low or blocker side. They need to fix that.
1rst period. Chris Kelly had him beat clean but he welded the X bar. If that one goes in....totally different hockey game, IMO.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Oh, the irony.
Yeah whatever. Normally I could care less who wins the Cup if its not us in it. I actually like that a Canadian City is getting a chance to have their team win the cup.

Terrible me and all. String me up.

Nothing about me as a fan is bandwagon. Nice try.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Curiosly enough Mark Messier, who's in St Albert, yesterday was quoted saying of course he's pulling for the Canucks, Canadian team, he played there, and figures its been along time since a Canadian team won it and is hoping that they do. Of course nobody here quotes that but will quote any player saying they hate the Canucks.
Your pushing your luck sir!

On a serious note thou, i think this series is far from over. Offcorse its a big favour for the Canucks now. I wouldnt expect a blowout in Boston. But Boston is more than capable off winning at home and will probably do so. Then its anyones game in the 7th.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Daneo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Heh, I don't have a problem with any Canadian team winning outside of the Canucks.
Agreed, I think i could handle Calgary or God forbid Toronto more than the Nucks winning the Cup...But again the Canucks are my most hated team in the league so I will cheer for anyone but them

Old
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Yeah whatever. Normally I could care less who wins the Cup if its not us in it. I actually like that a Canadian City is getting a chance to have their team win the cup.

Terrible me and all. String me up.
Well, it's your right to hop on the Canucks bandwagon, but I don't know why you have this "holier than thou" attitude because you think the Canucks are more Canadian than the Bruins.

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post

On a serious note thou, i think this series is far from over. Offcorse its a big favour for the Canucks now. I wouldnt expect a blowout in Boston. But Boston is more than capable off winning at home and will probably do so. Then its anyones game in the 7th.
haha. Well I did think it was real funny that messier said that just yesterday. Of course nobody here but me has mentioned it till now.

If Mess said he hates the Canucks there'd be 1000 posts about it and 3 threads specific to his comments.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Everest

Quote:

I'll admit to being guilty of the bolded part myself.

Although....I never got too carried away with Nashvilles' chances...I definatley allowed faith to lead my predictions in the SJ/VAN Series.

And personally....I don't think I have quite the same hate for VAN as some others here. This Canucks team routinley kicks the Oilers ***** and to me...that doesn't constitute a rivalry. If/when the Oilers are competitive with them....THEN we have a rivalry.

Until then...I'm just waiting for the other skate to drop and thats NOT something special to this board. There are tonnes of people around hockey....even right in the heart of Vancouver...skeptical of the Canucks.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
Agreed, I think i could handle Calgary or God forbid Toronto more than the Nucks winning the Cup...But again the Canucks are my most hated team in the league so I will cheer for anyone but them
I didn't have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach in 2004 like I do now. That Flames team worked their ass off and I was captivated by Gelinas' performance.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Well, it's your right to hop on the Canucks bandwagon, but I don't know why you have this "holier than though" attitude because you think the Canucks are more Canadian than the Bruins.
Its a Canadian City. Canadian based team. A fanbase in Canada cheering for their team, based in Canada, to win the Stanley Cup, that was founded in Canada, to be competed by, and won by, Canadian teams.

So no maybe its not so strange that I, and Mark Messier, and a lot of people that wish the best for Canadians would want a Canadian based team winning Canada's trophy once say every quarter Century.

Sounds fair.

Old
06-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post

The Bruins should be able to win a low scoring game at some point.

With whats left of the Canucks defence core...and how GOOD the Bruins are DEFENSIVLEY...its not too much to ask for a 2-1 or 1-0 score to go in favor of Boston...AT LEAST once in this series, is it?!

Old
06-11-2011, 12:37 AM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
The Bruins should be able to win a low scoring game at some point.

With whats left of the Canucks defence core...and how GOOD the Bruins are DEFENSIVLEY...its not too much to ask for a 2-1 or 1-0 score to go in favor of Boston...AT LEAST once in this series, is it?!
The series is far from done. If you were told that the Bruins and Canucks will be tied 3-3 and will go to Game 7 before the series started, would you take it? I certainly would. It gives us a chance to witness a possibility of the canucks losing it on home ice.

Closed Thread