HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Discussion VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2011, 01:40 AM
  #201
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I'll admit to being guilty of the bolded part myself.

Although....I never got too carried away with Nashvilles' chances...I definatley allowed faith to lead my predictions in the SJ/VAN Series.

And personally....I don't think I have quite the same hate for VAN as some others here. This Canucks team routinley kicks the Oilers ***** and to me...that doesn't constitute a rivalry. If/when the Oilers are competitive with them....THEN we have a rivalry.

Until then...I'm just waiting for the other skate to drop and thats NOT something special to this board. There are tonnes of people around hockey....even right in the heart of Vancouver...skeptical of the Canucks.
Your posts and contributions are a pleasure to read and your general knowledge of hockey is one that I find particularly interesting and that I can't come close to matching. Of course I mean that sincerely and don't say it to anyone who comes along.
That said when you were saying earlier Canucks were done and Bruins had this(not meaning to misquote or change your meaning) I pretty much gave that a lot of thought and wondered if I had the wrong take. Of course because I've been wrong in our exchanges before and that I learn a lot from you.

I think what we can both agree on is its why they play the games. Things are not always as they seem and the results of course are unpredictable.

Who knows what will happen the rest of the way. I think as I stated the road is very tough for Boston now. But we have two teams that have shown they can persevere.

imo it just means its been a very interesting series. If anything the best we could expect without Crosby and the Pens in the final.

Replacement is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:44 AM
  #202
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
The Bruins should be able to win a low scoring game at some point.

With whats left of the Canucks defence core...and how GOOD the Bruins are DEFENSIVLEY...its not too much to ask for a 2-1 or 1-0 score to go in favor of Boston...AT LEAST once in this series, is it?!
Just for the record this post is not sounding like you. I'm not sure that should and can are common factors in what does happen.

This from you is a more hope based rather than hockey analytical post not that theres ever anything wrong with that.

Replacement is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:44 AM
  #203
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,540
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its a Canadian City. Canadian based team. A fanbase in Canada cheering for their team, based in Canada, to win the Stanley Cup, that was founded in Canada, to be competed by, and won by, Canadian teams.

So no maybe its not so strange that I, and Mark Messier, and a lot of people that wish the best for Canadians would want a Canadian based team winning Canada's trophy once say every quarter Century.

Sounds fair.
Vancouver is also a team made of primarily non-Canadians who have embarrassed Canada's game more than a handful of times in these play-offs.

Cheering for the team with primarily Canadian players who play a Canadian style of hockey makes a lot more sense to me.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:44 AM
  #204
Daneo21
Registered User
 
Daneo21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its a Canadian City. Canadian based team. A fanbase in Canada cheering for their team, based in Canada, to win the Stanley Cup, that was founded in Canada, to be competed by, and won by, Canadian teams.

So no maybe its not so strange that I, and Mark Messier, and a lot of people that wish the best for Canadians would want a Canadian based team winning Canada's trophy once say every quarter Century.

Sounds fair.
This is by far the worst reasoning out there.... Cheering for a team because they are "Canadian" is a load of bull. You don't cheer for a team based on Country, you cheer for a team based on who they are... Now if you say that you are a Canuck fan and always have been then good on you keep cheering but don't give this horse **** answer by saying you are cheering for them because they are Canadian...

I cheer for the team that is playing against a rival team and I also cheer for them because of Ference and Boychuk, I cheer for the Edmonton players in this case

Daneo21 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:47 AM
  #205
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
This is by far the worst reasoning out there.... Cheering for a team because they are "Canadian" is a load of bull. You don't cheer for a team based on Country, you cheer for a team based on who they are... Now if you say that you are a Canuck fan and always have been then good on you keep cheering but don't give this horse **** answer by saying you are cheering for them because they are Canadian...

I cheer for the team that is playing against a rival team and I also cheer for them because of Ference and Boychuk, I cheer for the Edmonton players in this case
There is no right in this. Your post sounds unreasonable and as if you are indicating there is only one way for me to think on this. If you unclenched your hands from the keyboard and relaxed you might note how strongly you feel about this that I got it wrong.

Thanks for just confirming my point. I'm sure others will follow.

Replacement is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:50 AM
  #206
Daneo21
Registered User
 
Daneo21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
There is no right in this. Your post sounds unreasonable and as if you are indicating there is only one way for me to think on this. If you unclenched your hands from the keyboard and relaxed you might note how strongly you feel about this that I got it wrong.

Thanks for just confirming my point. I'm sure others will follow.
Then explain your reasoning for cheering for a rival team? A disgraceful team to boot?

Daneo21 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:51 AM
  #207
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This specific board just has a real hate on for Vancouver or any other Canadian team that might ever win the damned thing.
Of course there's lots of contempt for Vcr, are you kidding? These are the fans that cheered for Cooke and Ruutu all those years for redifining the dirty little coward role. The same ones that thought Betuzzi was justified for jumping on Moore's back and cheered Crow for making threats on cbc. When they see Burrows slew foot the B's goalie they just whine that the back ref was the one that made the call instead of wondering why their player would do it in the first place. The biggest cheer in tonight's game before the gwg was when the linesman got hit in the head with the puck near the end of the first period.

It's hard to compile a list like that for any other Canadian market. I'd be happy for the Sens, Habs or Flames to win. I always cheer for those 3 teams.

Overall I'm still hoping for the nux to win for a lot of the kids around here and the nux fans I know who have backed them through all of their futility and aren't complete buffoons - but the majority of their fans make it impossible for me to fist pump or utter the slightest sound when they score. I can't wait til the series is a month in the past.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:52 AM
  #208
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Vancouver is also a team made of primarily non-Canadians who have embarrassed Canada's game more than a handful of times in these play-offs.

Cheering for the team with primarily Canadian players who play a Canadian style of hockey makes a lot more sense to me.
Heres what makes sense. Sorry I have to explain it in such intricate detail. If a Canadian based team wins the Stanley Cup a Canadian based city gets to cheer for, and enjoy a Stanley Cup and all its trimmings. In this case a long suffering fanbase that has never won one.

I'm an awful evil person I guess for actually liking that they might get that chance.

Meanwhile if Boston, Carolina, Tampabay, etc win this thing a bunch of people I don't care about, have never met, that are not Canadian celebrate winning Canada's trophy.

The worst moment ever for me as a fan of hockey was Carolina winning the SC. Obviously a lot of reasons I felt that way.

Its high time a Canadian team won this thing. Nothing wrong with that.

Replacement is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:53 AM
  #209
Krigaren*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Vancouver is also a team made of primarily non-Canadians who have embarrassed Canada's game more than a handful of times in these play-offs.

Cheering for the team with primarily Canadian players who play a Canadian style of hockey makes a lot more sense to me.
And what team would that be? Team Canada?

Krigaren* is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:53 AM
  #210
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Thanks for the auto correct, your nerdness. Hope thats the right spelling?
For a guy who wants to comment on other people's writing style, you sure can't stop with the typos.

Giant Moo is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:54 AM
  #211
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
Neat sight in Vancouver tonight.



I would praise the passion of the Canucks faithful except the Canucks fan that posted this (on another board) made a point to say, "You didn't see that in Calgary and Edmonton in 2004 and 2006. All you saw was a bunch of drunks crowding the streets AFTER the games."

"Not bad for a non-hockey market full of bandwagoners."

This BS martyr attitude that they carry about themselves is beyond grating. I can't pull for them.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:55 AM
  #212
Daneo21
Registered User
 
Daneo21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Heres what makes sense. Sorry I have to explain it in such intricate detail. If a Canadian based team wins the Stanley Cup a Canadian based city gets to cheer for, and enjoy a Stanley Cup and all its trimmings. In this case a long suffering fanbase that has never won one.

I'm an awful evil person I guess for actually liking that they might get that chance.

Meanwhile if Boston, Carolina, Tampabay, etc win this thing a bunch of people I don't care about, have never met, that are not Canadian celebrate winning Canada's trophy.

The worst moment ever for me as a fan of hockey was Carolina winning the SC. Obviously a lot of reasons I felt that way.

Its high time a Canadian team won this thing. Nothing wrong with that.
Im assuming you don't deal with numerous ignorant Canuck fans do you... my hate for vancouver is more of the fans then the team itself (except burrows, kesler, and lapierre) if vancouver wins this, its the constant rubbing in the face of their glory that i honestly don't want to deal with...

Daneo21 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:55 AM
  #213
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
And what team would that be? Team Canada?
He's probably talking about Boston, don't ya think?

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:55 AM
  #214
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
History says another blowout on Sunday followed by another nail-biter back in Vancouver for game 7.

Do the Canucks believe in history?

Giant Moo is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:57 AM
  #215
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
Then explain your reasoning for cheering for a rival team? A disgraceful team to boot?
Well considering your mind is already made up why should I attempt. Ask Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa what they think of guys like Marchand.

Ask them what they think of his over the board taunting, or bruins players giving oppisition fans and players the finger.

Anybody can focus on anything as a defining point and say this team or that is disgusting.

Is it accurate? Or is it a self confirming bias.

Again there is no right or wrong in this. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying how I feel and why I do.

I think I've explained my position clearly. 3-4 M Canadians in a province of Canada being deleriously happy. Sounds like a good thing to me overall.


This is acceptance. I've let the dislike go. I used to dislike the Canucks. But We had this fantastic experience as a fanbase 5 times. I don't begrudge another Canadian fanbase having an experience like that once.

Replacement is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:57 AM
  #216
Daneo21
Registered User
 
Daneo21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
History says another blowout on Monday followed by another nail-biter back in Vancouver for game 7.

Do the Canucks believe in history?
Fixed

Daneo21 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:58 AM
  #217
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Meanwhile if Boston, Carolina, Tampabay, etc win this thing a bunch of people I don't care about, have never met, that are not Canadian celebrate winning Canada's trophy.
Similarly, if Vancouver wins, a bunch of people you have never met will celebrate winning the Cup. And if Boston wins, a bunch of Canadians will celebrate them winning the Cup.

Quote:
Its high time a Canadian team won this thing. Nothing wrong with that.
I think I stopped caring about that in 2006.

Giant Moo is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:58 AM
  #218
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Neat sight in Vancouver tonight.

I would praise the passion of the Canucks faithful except the Canucks fan that posted this (on another board) made a point to say, "You didn't see that in Calgary and Edmonton in 2004 and 2006. All you saw was a bunch of drunks crowding the streets AFTER the games."

"Not bad for a non-hockey market full of bandwagoners."

This BS martyr attitude that they carry about themselves is beyond grating. I can't pull for them.
They're still more famous for their riot than anything else, they should probably stop measuring themselves against other canadian fans.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:59 AM
  #219
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
Fixed
Woops, you're right. Good news for me, as otherwise ball hockey would be a ghost town on Sunday.

Giant Moo is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:59 AM
  #220
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
You talk as if the Canucks blew them out tonight, it was only 1-0....
Come on...let Replacement have his self congratulatory post.


Seriously though...anyone that thought the Canucks were done were looking at the series through oil stained lenses.

Home ice matters and the Canucks have it. I take no pleasure in stating this but the Bruins are half way down a cliff hanging from a tree.

guymez is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 02:00 AM
  #221
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
They're still more famous for their riot than anything else, they should probably stop measuring themselves against other canadian fans.
I think Montreal's rioting is the current gold standard.

Might not be any rioting either way here next week. Just too many freaking cops around.

Giant Moo is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 02:00 AM
  #222
Krigaren*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
He's probably talking about Boston, don't ya think?
But last time i checked, Boston is in the usa?
I remember one time on these board i said "you americans" i got shouted at because "fu canada is not america".
Perhaps i was missinformed Thats okey thou, if Boston is Canada´s team so be it.
Soon oilers will be the swedish team

Omark, Mps, Larsson, Lander some carefull trades and we are all invading ;D

Krigaren* is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 02:02 AM
  #223
SephF
Visually Better
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,504
vCash: 500
They also have infrastructure in place from the Olympics that provide a great viewing area and large screens for the public to gather and watch, I don't recall anything like that in Edmonton in '06.

SephF is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 02:03 AM
  #224
Daneo21
Registered User
 
Daneo21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well considering your mind is already made up why should I attempt. Ask Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa what they think of guys like Marchand.

Ask them what they think of his over the board taunting, or bruins players giving oppisition fans and players the finger.

Anybody can focus on anything as a defining point and say this team or that is disgusting.

Is it accurate? Or is it a self confirming bias.

Again there is no right or wrong in this. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying how I feel and why I do.

I think I've explained my position clearly. 3-4 M Canadians in a province of Canada being deleriously happy. Sounds like a good thing to me overall.
First off i'm not disagreeing with the disgusting antics of Boston because to be honest we have to put up with that **** 6 times a year from vancouver... Im glad to see Boston get dirty because they were finally doing the stuff we all dreamed about doing to the Canucks (ie Lucic punching burrows' head into the boards)

We as an Oilers fan base strongly have a dislike towards the Canucks yet here you are well aware of that but figure you should bring up their recent success and preach to us that we should be glad that they might win the cup (troll much?)

Daneo21 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 02:04 AM
  #225
Njoy Oilers
Registered User
 
Njoy Oilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Alberta.
Posts: 3,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
For a guy who wants to comment on other people's writing style, you sure can't stop with the typos.
You had to be there, now &@$@ off.

Njoy Oilers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.