HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worried about the new kids confidence...

Old
06-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 500
Worried about the new kids confidence...

There are so many pages and threads about the trades I could not go through them all, so apologies if this has been brought up.

I am worried about the players confidence coming to Philly. It is fairly apparent that many people are not exactly happy with what happened. You could argue till you are blue in the face on what "should of been done instead", but it will not change anything. The fact is these kids are Flyers now.

Philly fans are renown for being hard to please. These new players are young, and I worry they will be under enormous pressure by fans to perform to the levels of Carter and Richards too early. Some fans will need to embrace a new concept that is alien to many in Philadelphia, PATIENCE.

I can just see it now, the first time Scheen or Simmonds gets the puck, the arena boos, not at the players of course, but to show their anger/frustration at the FO for acquiring these kids at the cost of their favorite players Carter and/or Richards. Getting boo'd your first time out at a new stadium in front of the home crowd could be quite detrimental to a young players confidence, they are only kids afterall.

honestly, I doubt the above scenario will happen, but still, its on my mind

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:57 PM
mirimon

I wouldn't be too worried. Simmonds will be a pretty much immediate fan favourite is my guess.

If Schenn comes in and actually takes a roster spot right away he will have to deal with comparisons to Richards, but as long as it's comparisons to Richards rookie season I wouldn't worry too much.

Fans were pretty irritated when Upshall was dealt, but quickly came around on Carcillo's side.

I would actually worry more about guys like Giroux or JvR. Will they be able to step up, especially JvR needs to show that he can play like he did towards the end of this season for an extended period of time. If he comes out cold like last year, I could see fans and media coming down pretty hard on him unfortunately.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:07 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
There are/will be plenty of fans disappointed with these moves of course, but I don't think it'll get taken out on the players. There will be expectations, of course, but that's the case no matter how a player is acquired, who for, or how long they're playing.

I don't think anyone will be booed unless we start the season with a losing streak or something, and we're definitely not going to boo any of our own when they touch the puck. New players will be welcomed, as long as they're in the orange and black I'll cheer.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:35 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
If Schenn comes in and actually takes a roster spot right away he will have to deal with comparisons to Richards, but as long as it's comparisons to Richards rookie season I wouldn't worry too much.
Memories can be pretty short. Richards was well behind Carter in contributions early, nothing special his rookie year and couldn't put the puck in the ocean early in Year 2 (The Meltdown Year). It was only late that season he really started coming on and I was telling people look out next year, he'll be our #1 center and a good one.

I can see the fans really getting on Versteeg and Carle if the team comes out slow. Also, Homer as it really is his team now. The longest term on the roster is now Coburn's.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:39 PM
MsWoof

I'm not worried about their confidence coming in at all. People surely aren't going to boo a bunch of kids, but knowing the way the fan base is, if they don't start producing they're going to get booed pretty quick. These guys are going to have to develop a thick skin fast in Philly between the fan base and the media.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

I am anxious to see Giroux, JVR, Scheen, Simmonds, and Voracek develop together. Could be some nice chemistry there in a couple years.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:33 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

It's kind of an interesting situation. This is pretty much as high pressure of a team you can play for outside of outside of quebec and ontario, and they just jettisoned their entire last five year plan in favor of Giroux, JVR, and a few new guys. On one hand you have this message like "we just got this goalie, and you got a great coach in lavi, and your captain is gonna be Chris Pronger, and you'll have some excellent support..."

...And on the other hand you have "see those last 2 guys, with the lifetime contracts? Only got us to the Finals. We just signed this goalie, and your new Captain ain't gettin any younger."

Gonna hafta have faith and probably some patience.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I wouldn't be too worried. Simmonds will be a pretty much immediate fan favourite is my guess.

Fans were pretty irritated when Upshall was dealt, but quickly came around on Carcillo's side.

I would actually worry more about guys like Giroux or JvR. Will they be able to step up, especially JvR needs to show that he can play like he did towards the end of this season for an extended period of time. If he comes out cold like last year, I could see fans and media coming down pretty hard on him unfortunately.
Giroux already stepped up and JVR will be even better.

Schenn will be on the opening day roster for sure. He's ready and he'll only have to be the 3C for now, so they'll be able to break him in slowly.

Simmonds is a great energy player, I think he'll be a fan favorite from day 1. I hope Voracek comes out like a house on fire too, after a summer working out in Montreal with a personal trainer.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:41 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Memories can be pretty short. Richards was well behind Carter in contributions early, nothing special his rookie year and couldn't put the puck in the ocean early in Year 2 (The Meltdown Year). It was only late that season he really started coming on and I was telling people look out next year, he'll be our #1 center and a good one.

I can see the fans really getting on Versteeg and Carle if the team comes out slow. Also, Homer as it really is his team now. The longest term on the roster is now Coburn's.
That is ****ing unbelieveable. He's the only player left who put on the orange and black in the season not to be named and he came in at the trade deadline.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:57 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Giroux already stepped up and JVR will be even better.

Schenn will be on the opening day roster for sure. He's ready and he'll only have to be the 3C for now, so they'll be able to break him in slowly.

Simmonds is a great energy player, I think he'll be a fan favorite from day 1. I hope Voracek comes out like a house on fire too, after a summer working out in Montreal with a personal trainer.
Giroux had a breakout season last year, and before that he had a tremendous playoff, but these trades will put a lot more focus on him. Both from the other teams and from fans/media. I don't think there will be any problems there, but if we struggle out of the gate I could see a lot of fingers pointing in his direction.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote