HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

With Kirk Muller leaving who will replace him??

Old
06-13-2011, 01:33 PM
larrypacman8167

vCash: 500
it'd be great news if muller stayed 1 more year

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Kriss E

I don't know why people thought Muller would be gone for sure.
I expect him to remain here. I know there's a chance he'd be gone, but I felt he would remain here for another year.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Wait, are you guys confusing John MacLean with Paul MacLean. Because Paul MacLean is Detroit's long-time assistant coach and arguably one of the assistants in the NHL most ready for the challenge of coaching his own team. John MacLean is the Devils' coach who got fired after a couple months this past year. Paul MacLean would be a great choice for Head Coach for any team with a vacancy.
I wasn't. I did not know much about Paul, but know that Murray inherited a team that had just been in the cup final and promptly ruined them, setting them back a decade. Needless to say, he has not made very many wise decisions as gm.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:50 PM
habsrule22

so Ottawa, Dallas and Minny are out. Is there another team he could go to.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
so Ottawa, Dallas and Minny are out. Is there another team he could go to.
Winnipeg if they decide not to keep Ramsey

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:56 PM
habtastic

it's odd that he hasn't been the first choice for at least one of these teams.
He ooozes great coach, not in the way Carbo did just cuz he was a good leader.

Anyway the reason we all thought he'd for sure be gone is because it was reported widely in the news and on CBC that he said that 100%. Oh Friedman and your inside scoops.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:57 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Winnipeg if they decide not to keep Ramsey
didn t habs decline winnipeg to interview muller

Old
06-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Bullsmith

I'd be happy if he stayed but the media seem to be in consensus that he's gone. Cunnyworth looks like the the most likely replacement. I don't expect much drama around it. This is JM's staff.

Bullsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Could be, I wasn't around much in the last couple of weeks so it could be that I missed that

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
no, they declined the Moose the chance to interview him. Winnipeg never inquired. They have their eyes on Noel, and in anticipation of losing Noel, the Moose wanted to look at Muller, but Montreal has no interest in losing Muller to anything short of an NHL promotion.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:10 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
no, they declined the Moose the chance to interview him. Winnipeg never inquired. They have their eyes on Noel, and in anticipation of losing Noel, the Moose wanted to look at Muller, but Montreal has no interest in losing Muller to anything short of an NHL promotion.
So the odds are that Muller isn t going anywhere this year.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I wasn't. I did not know much about Paul, but know that Murray inherited a team that had just been in the cup final and promptly ruined them, setting them back a decade. Needless to say, he has not made very many wise decisions as gm.
How has he set them back a decade? Really, their Cup final team was probably the weakest of the last decade and most of their core was already starting to pass their prime. I'm not going to support Murray because I think he made bad decisions, but he also made some nice moves and drafted well. At least Ottawa has a promising core of young D prospects coming soon, along with a few other top prospects (if we assume they will end at the bottom for 1-2 seasons). I think in 2 years minimum, 4 years maximum, Ottawa will be back to being contenders. I don't see how that is a setback when the Pizza line (the line that kept them afloat) just broke up. Heatley went his way, Spezza struggled and Alfie is still Alfie despite his age. I'd be cautiously optimisitic if I was Ottawa. Their team is transitioning well into the rebuilding phase. It's better this than missing the playoffs or getting swept in the 1st round like their previous few years.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
So the odds are that Muller isn t going anywhere this year.
Has NJ filled their vacancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
How has he set them back a decade? Really, their Cup final team was probably the weakest of the last decade and most of their core was already starting to pass their prime. I'm not going to support Murray because I think he made bad decisions, but he also made some nice moves and drafted well. At least Ottawa has a promising core of young D prospects coming soon, along with a few other top prospects (if we assume they will end at the bottom for 1-2 seasons). I think in 2 years minimum, 4 years maximum, Ottawa will be back to being contenders. I don't see how that is a setback when the Pizza line (the line that kept them afloat) just broke up. Heatley went his way, Spezza struggled and Alfie is still Alfie despite his age. I'd be cautiously optimisitic if I was Ottawa. Their team is transitioning well into the rebuilding phase. It's better this than missing the playoffs or getting swept in the 1st round like their previous few years.
Murray is already moving on to his 4th coach since becoming gm, and Heatley left in large part because of the big ass joke the organization became under Murray's watch. They may have some nice dmen coming up, but have virtually nothing in the way of forwards.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:19 PM
habsrule22

Quote:

Murray is already moving on to his 4th coach since becoming gm, and Heatley left in large part because of the big ass joke the organization became under Murray's watch. They may have some nice dmen coming up, but have virtually nothing in the way of forwards.
forgot about them. Is there any other opening? I don t know if it would be wise for him to go there. That has epic fail written all over it. If the team doesn t start off fast, the pressure would be intense.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

I agree except they were still competitive and yet Heatley quit on the team. If they had the opportunity to properly package him and get fair value, his return probably would've helped them out for the long run. He singlehandedly screwed them for 2 straight seasons. In terms of forwards, they're missing 2-3 top 6 players. That's a lot, and that's where the challenge will be for Murray. No more Kovalev BS to replace your 30 goal scorers.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Keane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Mike Keane would also be a nice pick and he just retired from hockey.
Great call. Wherever Mike goes the Cup follows.

Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
crystal ball

There's also the possibility that Muller won't be back because Martin doesn't want him back. Martin's been hearing a lot about how the players love Muller and how Muller's the one who's really coaching the team behind the scenes. He may just be sick of the handsome popular guy he didn't hire.

crystal ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Bob Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
There's also the possibility that Muller won't be back because Martin doesn't want him back. Martin's been hearing a lot about how the players love Muller and how Muller's the one who's really coaching the team behind the scenes. He may just be sick of the handsome popular guy he didn't hire.
martin doesnt strike me as that kind of person

theres no way hes not coming back if he doesnt get hired somewhere else.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I'd be happy if he stayed but the media seem to be in consensus that he's gone. Cunnyworth looks like the the most likely replacement. I don't expect much drama around it. This is JM's staff.
I think Cunnyworth stays where he is and they look outside for an assistant. Cunnyworth is really more of a development guy who fits in better as a minor league head coach. He was a key part of Buffalo's strong pipeline these past years and was brought in to do the same after Boucher left. To replace Muller they would look for someone who can replace his biggest strengths as the player's coach and mid-game tactician.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I think Cunnyworth stays where he is and they look outside for an assistant. Cunnyworth is really more of a development guy who fits in better as a minor league head coach. He was a key part of Buffalo's strong pipeline these past years and was brought in to do the same after Boucher left. To replace Muller they would look for someone who can replace his biggest strengths as the player's coach and mid-game tactician.

I'm extremely pleased with Cunny's work in Hamilton and hope he stays there. The only reason I speculate he would replace Muller is that he and JM go back to their Ottawa days, and it's been much discussed in the media.

In terms of both Muller and Cunnyworth, hands down the status quo is my preference. They both did outstanding work last season.

Bullsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:50 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Why is it everyone always has to bring up Roy? He will not be coming here unless he has full control as GM or Head coach. I think as mentioned, Conneyworth would be a likely candidate.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I'm extremely pleased with Cunny's work in Hamilton and hope he stays there. The only reason I speculate he would replace Muller is that he and JM go back to their Ottawa days, and it's been much discussed in the media.

In terms of both Muller and Cunnyworth, hands down the status quo is my preference. They both did outstanding work last season.
My point being they'd look outside for a Muller replacement rather than removing Cunnyworth from where he's needed right now.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
(delete)

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:27 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Why is it everyone always has to bring up Roy?
Maybe because he's a coach that aspires to coach in the NHL and this is a thread about NHL and coaching. Pretty standard imo.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:59 PM
habs_24x

Maybe he will stay one more year. Sens and Stars found their men already. The doors are closing fast...

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote