HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oiler fans hate for canucks

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Ibtl

Old
06-12-2011, 12:28 PM
s7ark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
There really is no Canucks-Oilers rivalry. I don't understand the hate-on for Vancouver in this city. I've been going to bars in St. Albert (Original Joe's and The Rink) throughout the playoffs, and I've been one of the very few people cheering on the Canucks. Meanwhile, you have all these people who cheer for whoever they're playing against due to some imaginary rivalry between Edmonton and Vancouver. It's kind of sad actually. More people cheered for the Flames in 04 than there are cheering for the Canucks.
I wasn't cheering for them by any means, but at least Calgary played with honour. The nucks don't. Why is it sad that we don't want to see a bunch of diving, whining, biters taint the cup with their names?

Last edited by s7ark: 06-12-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old
06-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
You guys wouldn't be happy just to have the Cup back in Canada? lol, I guess not.
Only if it is being paraded down Jasper Ave.

But I am not looking forward to see a soccer team winning the Stanley Cup.

Old
06-12-2011, 12:32 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post
As a Canuck fan, I was cheering against both Calgary and Edmonton during their runs, but what you described is the real reason for teh whole "Canada's team" phenomenon. It goes beyond geographic location.

It stems more from the pre-lockout environment. Canada had lost 2 teams to the US, other teams had been in financial difficulty and under threat of moving, no Canadian team, except Toronto, could financially compete with a lot of the US teams. This is why that Calgary team full of grinders was able to capture the hearts of so many Canadians.

Edmonton also benefited from these factors, being that they made their run the first year after the lockout and as an 8 seed. However, when Ottawa made the finals the year after, making it the 3rd straight season with a Canadian team in the finals, I think people started to realize that the lock-out had brought a new environment and "Canada's team" started to die down.

Sure, some casual fans still get on it, but I think that any serious fans that might have joined it in the past realize that pretty much any team can compete, and want their team to be the next Canadian team to win (for bragging rights of course).

I think this is a very fair and reasonable assessment of what has happened since 2004.

I will admit that I was a lot warmer towards the idea of a calgary win in 2004 than a vancouver win in 2011. Now I look at the Oilers as being equal in all things with all other teams...in fact, all the active canadian teams (winnipeg excluded for the moment) are at the top of the heap now in terms of revenue, ability to spend to the cap and ability to ice competitive teams (recent results aside, all the canadian teams have the finances and ability to build up contender teams, whether they do or not is entirely up to them now).

With that in mind, I can't cheer for the canucks because they are rivals, it's that simple now. There's no real david vs. goliath attitude as the canucks are the best team in the league, and they're division rivals...the oilers need to go through them in order to get back to glory, so I have no incentive to cheer for them to be good, get better or earn any sort of reward other than a proverbial swift kick in the pants.

Old
06-12-2011, 12:34 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles Glasses View Post
Only if it is being paraded down Jasper Ave.

But I am not looking forward to see a soccer team winning the Stanley Cup.

the ONLY team I want hoisting the cup is Edmonton. I might be cheering for boston, but it's not that strong of a cheer because they aren't the Oilers.

Old
06-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I think this is a very fair and reasonable assessment of what has happened since 2004.

I will admit that I was a lot warmer towards the idea of a calgary win in 2004 than a vancouver win in 2011. Now I look at the Oilers as being equal in all things with all other teams...in fact, all the active canadian teams (winnipeg excluded for the moment) are at the top of the heap now in terms of revenue, ability to spend to the cap and ability to ice competitive teams (recent results aside, all the canadian teams have the finances and ability to build up contender teams, whether they do or not is entirely up to them now).

With that in mind, I can't cheer for the canucks because they are rivals, it's that simple now. There's no real david vs. goliath attitude as the canucks are the best team in the league, and they're division rivals...the oilers need to go through them in order to get back to glory, so I have no incentive to cheer for them to be good, get better or earn any sort of reward other than a proverbial swift kick in the pants.
Of course, I wouldn't expect anything different. In fact the only Canadian team I have cheered for on their run (other than Vancouver obviously) was Montreal. But not in a "bring the cup back to Canada" kind of way, rather a "bring the cup back to Montreal" kind of way.

I will cheer for the Habs whether they are an underdog or favorite, because to me there is an aura around that team due to their history, and it would be cool to see them win #25.

Old
06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post
Of course, I wouldn't expect anything different. In fact the only Canadian team I have cheered for on their run (other than Vancouver obviously) was Montreal. But not in a "bring the cup back to Canada" kind of way, rather a "bring the cup back to Montreal" kind of way.

I will cheer for the Habs whether they are an underdog or favorite, because to me there is an aura around that team due to their history, and it would be cool to see them win #25.

Agreed, again, I have a soft spot for the Habs, but I think part of that is that we NEVER play them. If we were in their division I imagine I'd hate them though.

Old
06-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
Agreed, again, I have a soft spot for the Habs, but I think part of that is that we NEVER play them. If we were in their division I imagine I'd hate them though.
Definitely, I mean Edmonton has a cool history too (obviously nothing compared to Montreal) but you'll never catch me cheering for you guys.

Old
06-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Herman72
Project Arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What is there to like about Vancouver?

Any gdt against the Canucks is always chock full of trolls, regardless of the outcome.

Their players are hair pulling, diving biters.

Their goalie blames his teammates for his poor performances.

Besides all that, they are the favourite, and everyone loves a good underdog.
This, exactly.

Not to mention I live in Vancouver and have to hear why Burrows is the greatest player to ever grace NHL ice and why Taylor Hall is a bust.

Also (I saw another poster bring this up in another thread, sorry for stealing your thought, I can't remember who it was), the national pride angle doesn't work for me. Why would I want to see a divisional rival win the Stanley Cup? If the national pride is simply going to supersede divisional rivalries the second the Oilers are out of the playoffs (or in more realistic terms, out of playoff contention), what is the point of having divisional rivalries at all?

Edit: One last thought. It's not just Oiler fans, it's our players, too. I don't think Ryan Whitney was far off when he said 90% of players in the league don't want to see Vancouver win the Cup. Hell, it's not even him saying stuff like that.

Last edited by Herman72: 06-12-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old
06-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

This thread was going nowhere fast. /thread