HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Wolski joins Team Underhill (Boyle returns too)

Old
06-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

vCash: 500
Wolski joins Team Underhill (Boyle returns too)

http://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers/s...62391624531968

Brian Boyle says that he will once again train in off-season with Barbara Underhill, and that Wojtek Wolski will be joining them.

It worked out quite nicely for BB. Maybe it will for Wolly's game too?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
OverTheCap

Wouldn't hurt for Stepan to join them as well. He skated pretty poorly in the playoffs.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Wouldn't hurt for Stepan to join them as well. He skated pretty poorly in the playoffs.
I just posted essentially the same thing in the Boyle contract thread. He looks like he's swimming in his stride, if that makes sense.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:15 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I knew it!!! Shortly after this guy joined the Rangers I posted how this guy skated around flailing out from his knees, you can see it on the videos how he skates. It's all from his knees not his butt and thighs.

The Rangers targeted this guy with the idea to fix his skating and that's been one of his issues. I had a theory and posted it that he wasn't so lazy he just knew he couldn't beat someone to the puck, so he didn't try.

His mechanics are wrong in his legs, he's got the size and the hands. If this guy starts flying around the ice, it totally changes his game.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=881370

Stepan could definitely use a step up in the speed department. I think it's an extra gear for him though rather than mechanics. I don't know how much this will help him. Maybe some power skating an muscle building.

Last edited by vipernsx: 06-08-2011 at 10:25 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:18 AM
CM PUNK

posted in the boyle contract thread...boyle said prust, del zotto and some of the prospects will likely be joining them too.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:22 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I just posted essentially the same thing in the Boyle contract thread. He looks like he's swimming in his stride, if that makes sense.
Yeah, it's like his moving his legs fast but he's still slogging along in slow motion.

I know he trains with someone out in Minny. But Underhill did wonders for Boyle so I'd like to see what she could do for Stepan.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:28 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

If Wolski is retained, I hope working with Barb can return him to the 09/10 version with Colorado/Phoenix where he scored about 60 points. We could use that.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:39 AM
beastly115

Anisimov should join too. He's slow as ****.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Pizza

It's good that WW is working w/BU. Tort's quotes about the guy playing w/ a 12 foot stick indicate that his head needs to be in a better place in order for his game to improve.

Intensity wise, he reminds me of Lisin. A great play or even a great game, but then you don't notice him for a bunch of games. It will be interesting to see where he is once the season starts.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Levitate

I think people shouldn't expect miracles like Boyle out of everyone who works with Underhill, but hopefully it will help.

I think it's probably hard for players to change their mechanics at this stage in their career, even Boyle said he caught himself skating in his old stride at times last season.

In one of the articles about Boyle, I think it basically said a lot of players try taking lessons on skating but often give up in frustration if they have to radically change things, but even so, little improvements here and there to their stride can make a difference.

I know Wolski is a popular target for buyout but I kinda hope he comes back and has a great year. He could be quite valuable if he can get going and he seems like a pretty good dude, not a Zherdev head case type.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Interesting. If we strike out on Richards, we should keep Wolski.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:49 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think people shouldn't expect miracles like Boyle out of everyone who works with Underhill, but hopefully it will help.

I think it's probably hard for players to change their mechanics at this stage in their career, even Boyle said he caught himself skating in his old stride at times last season.

In one of the articles about Boyle, I think it basically said a lot of players try taking lessons on skating but often give up in frustration if they have to radically change things, but even so, little improvements here and there to their stride can make a difference.

I know Wolski is a popular target for buyout but I kinda hope he comes back and has a great year. He could be quite valuable if he can get going and he seems like a pretty good dude, not a Zherdev head case type.
IMO, Drury should be bought out before Wolski. Wolski still provides offense, despite how streaky he may be. The fact that he's working on his skating indicates he has the desire to improve his play. Not like a Zherdev type who couldn't give a **** about getting better. These are the types of guys we want on the team.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
keep him anyways. We need some offense on LW. Dubinsky #1 then what? Wolski has talent so give it a go. After that maybe Zuccarello can step in to a top 6 but who knows. Avery is a 3rd/4th liner and Grachev/Hagelin are rooks

With the cap the way it is I cant see more than just signing Richards, RFAs and let more kids into the lineup

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Pizza

I'd be happier to see prospect like Grachev work with Underhill as well.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Anisimov should join too. He's slow as ****.
I don't think he's slow. I think he just looks slow because of his size. If he was that slow, I don't think he'd be used as much on the PK.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Don't see the Rangers buying out Wolski. Just a huntch.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
IMO, Drury should be bought out before Wolski. Wolski still provides offense, despite how streaky he may be. The fact that he's working on his skating indicates he has the desire to improve his play. Not like a Zherdev type who couldn't give a **** about getting better. These are the types of guys we want on the team.
I agree 100%. Drury is the only buyout that should take place during the June 15th-June 30th window. That should give you enough room to pursue Richards plus re-sign the RFAs.

If disaster strikes during the off-season (say Anisimov gets an offer sheet just above what we can afford to match under our budget), then you pay some team an asset to take Wolski. Or, if one of our RFAs somehow makes it to arbitration (ie: we can't work out Dubinsky/Callahan's deals prior to the arbitration hearing -- note: we'll be filing for arbitration to eliminate the possibility of offer sheets on those players), that opens up a second buyout period. If Dubinsky/Callahan force arbitration (unlikely) and our budget space isn't enough, we can then buyout Wolski.

Drury must go. No ifs, ands, or buts. Trade him if you have naked pictures of both him (to waive the NMC) and the other GM, but otherwise, buy him out. His Rangers tenure must end by June 30th for this team to move forward.

Wolski may end up going too, but Derek Boogaard's tragic death relieved just enough of our cap pressure during the summer that we don't need to buyout both to pursue our options.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
posted in the boyle contract thread...boyle said prust, del zotto and some of the prospects will likely be joining them too.
Great news... Del Z is who I really wanted there.

Now that WW is going I've changed my mind and do not want to buy him out...
Drury? An emphatic YES!!!

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:02 PM
94now

I am pessimistic about it. BB improvement could be co-incidental. He is a big man and those usually bloom out late. It doesn't hurt, though. WW has money to burn, it won't be completely wasted, but as I said, I wouldn't hold my breath on this.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'd be happier to see prospect like Grachev work with Underhill as well.
This exactly.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:13 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Not sure we have a choice. The buyout period is from 6/15-6/30... which is BEFORE free agency on 7/1.

I would actually be shocked if they bought out Wolski. You can't just give up on his talent that easily, unless Sather knows exactly what they will do with that cap space. BR can easily be signed with a Drury buyout and Chris is almost useless at this point in his career.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I am pessimistic about it. BB improvement could be co-incidental. He is a big man and those usually bloom out late. It doesn't hurt, though. WW has money to burn, it won't be completely wasted, but as I said, I wouldn't hold my breath on this.
not sure what there is to be pessimistic about players trying to improve their skating and make themselves better...obviously the odds are against anyone seeing an improvement like boyle did last year. but any improvement these players make is a good thing.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Stepan needs to be there with them.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Noonansgoal

Just give the rest of the team to this awesome woman, please.

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Zuuuuc

I'm happy that Wolski is working on his skating and I really hope he doesn't get bought out/traded because that has Come-back-to-bite-us-in-the-behind written all over it

Zuuuuc is offline   Reply With Quote