HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Oilers Draft Preview

Old
06-13-2011, 01:34 AM
deanmoriarty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Alphabetical order.
haha, whoops

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:54 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
So you think Plante is better than Chorney?

Whatever gave you that idea?
I saw Chorney play more in the NHL.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Nail and Nuge

Lawrence,

I really enjoyed the read- thought that this article accurately summarized the current Oilers situation.

While I agree that small points like giving options at the pick 19 would be helpful, these are minor to the overall content of the article which was excellent.

Well done- and from an Oiler fan who is desperate for information/reviews on our team this article was thoroughly appreciated.

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:07 PM
serum114

Re: other availables at #19.

There were players on the board that I personally would have chosen ahead of Siemens, however in the mock draft format, we were tasked with choosing who we felt the team would take in that situation. There have been multiple reports of the Oilers liking Siemens over the season, including some that he's one guy they'd like to move up to select. That said, I am not personally a big fan of his and feel his skill set is already duplicated in the organization and the prospect ranks.

It will be nice to have a hearty discussion once the full list is revealed, as I think there are some very nice blueline talents that should be available at #19 as well as #31 this year, and that realistically the picks from about 15-50 could be all over the place as there isn't the appearance of a ton of separation between a lot of those players.

serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:31 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
This was the only part I disagreed with.

Quote:
Third is on the blue line, where there is a lack of established top four defensemen. Both Ryan Whitney and Tom Gilbert are quality top four talents, and players like Theo Peckham, Jeff Petry, and Ladislav Smid are still growing and improving. There is still a real need for at least one or two top four defensemen however, both cut from the rugged, shut down, stay-at-home cloth.
This team doesn't lack for grit from the back-end, especially organizationally. Tom Gilbert is soft... but with Peckham and Smid back there, I just don't feel that's really a necessity. If anything, this is team that's going to be transition and rush heavy offense at ES and we could use another Whitney more than we could use a Regehr AFAIC.

Targets: Ian White, Christian Ehrhoff, Eric Brewer, Steve Montador, Anton Babchuk, James Wisniewski. Hell, even Bryan McCabe.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
This was the only part I disagreed with.

This team doesn't lack for grit from the back-end, especially organizationally. Tom Gilbert is soft... but with Peckham and Smid back there, I just don't feel that's really a necessity. If anything, this is team that's going to be transition and rush heavy offense at ES and we could use another Whitney more than we could use a Regehr AFAIC.

Targets: Ian White, Christian Ehrhoff, Eric Brewer, Steve Montador, Anton Babchuk, James Wisniewski. Hell, even Bryan McCabe.
I wrestled with that part actually, and the reason I felt a pair of tough minutes, defense first guys were needed was that I felt they best complemented the skill sets of both Whitney and Gilbert. That said, another complete type D man (another Whitney, if you will) and then a shut down guy to free up/cover for Gilbert would work as well.

One thing I do believe is that we don't need to find big ticket long term solutions in the top four, and would love to see a couple two (at most three) year deals for solid but unspectacular guys. I like the general idea of the guys you listed, and admittedly haven't looked too closely at pending UFAs (still very much in draft mode).

I think that there is real organizational depth in tough, defense first guys on the back end, and that in a couple years one or two of those will have grown into quality top four options, but in the interim I think one or two stop gap signings in the top four would be great. Honestly, hoping for two is probably unlikely based on the messaging coming from the front office, but adding a guy like Brewer or White to help flesh out the depth chart for a couple years would be a solid, under the radar type of add.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

As for the mock, without saying that it was a good/bad pick who else was on the board? Siemens IMO sounds similar to Teubert and 3 years after his draft Teubert isn't even in your top 16. I like physical no nonsense d-men but if a guy like McNeill was there at 19 this would be a bad pick IMO. If he wasn't it's not a bad choice for sure but not an organizational need with Teubert and Peckham already in the fold.
Funny you should mention Siemens and Teubert together. I just happened to be reading Kirk Leudeke's Bruins Watch blog. I was reading about Siemens and this quote below jumped out at me:

Quote:
While tough, Siemens is nowhere near as intimidating as Dylan McIlrath (who admittedly had a poor year) and Colten Teubert.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 05:18 PM
serum114

The HF First Round Mock Draft is now up: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ff_mock_draft/

So, I can talk a bit more about my thought process at 19. To be honest, I like all of Morrow, Klefbom, and Brodin more than Siemens--and I think all would be a better fit for this organization. My choice would be Morrow, though Brodin is someone I've come to be a big fan of over the past while and is someone I think could be a steal for whomever gets him.

The reason I chose Siemens is the one I mentioned earlier--given the players who are on the board at that point, he's the guy I think the Oilers front office likes most. There have been a number of reports indicating the Oilers brass are fans of his, he has a similar profile to previous picks and acquisitions, and if he falls that far I'd be surprised if they pass on him.

That said, I could definitely see one or maybe all of Morrow, Klefbom, or Brodin being there at 19 and would be very happy with any of the three.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Funny you should mention Siemens and Teubert together. I just happened to be reading Kirk Leudeke's Bruins Watch blog. I was reading about Siemens and this quote below jumped out at me:
Teubert may not be the best fighter out there, but the fact that he plays with a screw loose really helps his intimidation factor. Siemens seems like a tough customer but Kessy and Edmundson both got the better of him this year IIRC. I'd be fine with drafting a more skilled D at #19 and a guy like Edmundson at #31 as a potential bottom pairing tough as nails D.

06-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bailey View Post
The HF First Round Mock Draft is now up: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ff_mock_draft/

So, I can talk a bit more about my thought process at 19. To be honest, I like all of Morrow, Klefbom, and Brodin more than Siemens--and I think all would be a better fit for this organization. My choice would be Morrow, though Brodin is someone I've come to be a big fan of over the past while and is someone I think could be a steal for whomever gets him.

The reason I chose Siemens is the one I mentioned earlier--given the players who are on the board at that point, he's the guy I think the Oilers front office likes most. There have been a number of reports indicating the Oilers brass are fans of his, he has a similar profile to previous picks and acquisitions, and if he falls that far I'd be surprised if they pass on him.

That said, I could definitely see one or maybe all of Morrow, Klefbom, or Brodin being there at 19 and would be very happy with any of the three.
Another factor is that Siemens is a local kid as well. With McNeill off the board I could see us going for Siemens or Klefbom for sure.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:20 AM
serum114

Quote:
Teubert may not be the best fighter out there, but the fact that he plays with a screw loose really helps his intimidation factor. Siemens seems like a tough customer but Kessy and Edmundson both got the better of him this year IIRC. I'd be fine with drafting a more skilled D at #19 and a guy like Edmundson at #31 as a potential bottom pairing tough as nails D.
I also really like a guy like Mayfield who could potentially be there at 31. That said, I see more intriguing options up front at 31, assuming a D man goes at 19.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bailey View Post
I also really like a guy like Mayfield who could potentially be there at 31. That said, I see more intriguing options up front at 31, assuming a D man goes at 19.
This draft is wide open IMO, so many possibilities especially trading up or acquiring another pick, etc. Even if nothing happen 3 of the top 31 picks should keep us busy

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Cannot see Calgary drafting a defenceman .

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote