HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Which team haves the best prospect...

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2004, 01:08 PM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
It's always arguable. Some people here will argue the same for the Habs. At the end of the day, I ask myself, would I trade that Leafs top-5 for LA's top-5 or Calgary's top-5... and I had to say, yep, I would! Phaneuf and Grebeshkov are just that good. I'd peg the Leafs... well, right where I pegged them! Middle of the pack, 15th or so. IMHO depth pulls them up, but Cola-Bell-Harrison is NOT one of the better 1-2-3 groups, as I see it. I would only expect one of that group to become a top-4 NHL defenseman, with even odds that none of them are.
Coming from a Habs fan, that's probably as fair as you're going to see an assessment of the Maple Leafs system. So there's no reason to discuss it as my bias for the Leafs would be up against your bias against them.

Old
07-21-2004, 01:16 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan93
Let's not forget Leclaire in Columbus, and Ahonen in NJ.
Those two are well ahead of Danis.

Danis is probably on par with Deslauriers, Daigneault, Patzold, Niittymaki.

Old
07-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Montreal - Hainsey, O'Byrne, Yemelin, Korpikari, Korneev
Beauchemin. He's a better prospect than all of those guys but Hainsey (alhtough he may make the team in Hainsey's place this season.) If you add him to that list, I think you can bump the habs up a little, because he's a guy who looks very likely to play regular shifts in the NHL.

I think your analysis of the goalies is pretty much bang on though.

Last edited by Squeaky: 07-21-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old
07-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Beauchemin. He's a better prospect than all of those guys but Hainsey (alhtough he may make the team in Hainsey's place this season.) If you add him to that list, I think you can bump the habs up a little, because he's a guy who looks very likely to play regular shifts in the NHL.
I guess it depends on what view you take... in the sense that Beauchemin could take some shifts today in the NHL and not look completely out of place, whereas most of the guys I listed as the Habs top prospects would be totally hopeless right now at the NHL level... well, sure, Beauchemin is a lot farther along and has at least reached 7th/8th defender status in the NHL. Guys like O'Byrne, Korpikari, Korneev, Yemelin might never even make it that far. But I'm doubtful that Beauchemin will get any better, and I really don't see him as ever being an NHL regular. Anyway, I don't think of him as a "prospect", but rather as minor league depth now, not dramatically different than Dykhuis or, say, Benoit Gratton was last year.

Old
07-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
I guess it depends on what view you take... in the sense that Beauchemin could take some shifts today in the NHL and not look completely out of place, whereas most of the guys I listed as the Habs top prospects would be totally hopeless right now at the NHL level... well, sure, Beauchemin is a lot farther along and has at least reached 7th/8th defender status in the NHL. Guys like O'Byrne, Korpikari, Korneev, Yemelin might never even make it that far. But I'm doubtful that Beauchemin will get any better, and I really don't see him as ever being an NHL regular. Anyway, I don't think of him as a "prospect", but rather as minor league depth now, not dramatically different than Dykhuis or, say, Benoit Gratton was last year.
I think Beauchemin could become a solid 5th or 6th dman. I also consider people to be prospects until they get their shot(s) at the NHL, which Beauchemin really hasn't yet. Or if they're clearly not going to get a shot, then they aren't really prospects in my books either. But beauchemin looks like he's going to get a good look next season for the 7th spot, so I would still consider him a prospect.

Old
07-21-2004, 03:55 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
Source?
Again i ask, What top 100 prospect list are you referring to?

Old
07-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Again i ask, What top 100 prospect list are you referring to?
Dude, give the guy more than 3 and a half hours to answer!

Like a day would be a decent amount of time to give him to answer before asking again

Old
07-21-2004, 04:10 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Wanted to keep it on the current page , so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Just curious because i've seen a HF top 50 and the Hockey news top 75, never saw a top 100 list.

Old
07-21-2004, 06:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I can't really comment on other teams prospects, as I strongly focus on our prospects, although I do see many prospects from other teams, I rarely focus on them in general outside of just casual watching. What I can say for the Habs is that they have done an outstanding job of restructuring the farm system. It started with Andre Savard as he has done a great job turning around an average to decent farm system into one of the top programs in the NHL. We've seen a lot of success in Hamilton over the last two years although having half a team of Oilers prospects and 2-3 Tampa prospects has helped.

What's very impressive about our system in the overall depth imo.

Goaltending could be our weakest area, but overall the depth isn't bad. Getting Yann Danis makes a huge difference, as he was the top goalie in the NCAA this past year and while not much hype around him, he is very skilled. We should get a good idea next year on how his game translates in the professional game. Right behind Danis is Lindberg and Halak, both who should be at the wjc's this year for their respective countries. At 19, we have a few years to see how they progress and develop, it's hard to say where their upside is currently, but they both have shown an impressive set of skills. Joni Puurula has just reached the limit of being considered a prospect based on being a starter in the mens league the last two seasons, and we may never see him in North America, but he has put up good numbers each year. (Tarasov although older is in the same boat imo, in that we may never see him) Leaving Michaud and Lacasse. Michaud will need to step it up next season, as he's going to have Halak/Lindberg on his heels in a year or two imo. It's unclear where he will be playing next season, but he does have some decent skills and I expect he will be resigned at some point. Lacasse is the wild card, as he didn't see a ton of ice time this year as a 17 year old, but as the season wore on and Drakkar struggled, he played more and more. Next season he should be the starter and get a lot more ice time, we'll have to see how he progresses over the next 3-5 years.

On defense we have the highly skilled Ron Hainsey, although he won't be considered a prospect much longer, and his development has taken a back seat, but still big good skating offensive defensemen are not easy to find, and if Hainsey can put it all together, the Habs will be much better off. Beauchemin isn't a prospect due to his age and experience, and if he makes the NHL, I would think it would be as a 6th-7th defensemen. O'Byrne/Korpikair/Archer are guys I hope to see one of them in the NHL in a few years. Korpikari is a solid defensemen that should benefit from a few more seasons in the sm-liiga. O'Byrne is still very raw but has a great package of size and physical abilities, 6'5 good skating good speed very physical defensemen are rare finds indeed. Archer is one of the safe but unspectacular defensemen who is solid in his own end but hasn't show much offensive abilities yet. He should play a big role with Hamilton next season.

After that, there's Yemelin who recently turned 18, and hopefully will see some time in the RSL next season, after a solid year in the High league. Korneev has been in the RSL at 17, and while very small he's got a lot of skill. Tough to say if his game will translate over here, but he's got a nice stick check and offensive upside. Mark Flood is one of our top skaters, and seems to be filling out some. He's a smart player and knows how to play his position, although he's not physical but has a solid shot from the point. Then there's Linhart who's just turned 20, one of the Czech's better defensemen in his birth year, although it's tough to say what will happen to him. Matt Shasby is coming off a solid year in the ECHL and could surprise fans next year in Hamilton if he wins a spot. Ryan Glenn is coming off his best year ever, although it's unknown what management will do with him. Dulac is very big but he's going to need a lot of work, many years away still. Vydareny looks like a career AHLer or ECHLer imo.

Our strength is clearly at forward. While we don't have much power, we have a lot of skill. Kostitsyn imo is one of the most skilled prospects the Habs have had in the system for a very long time (since Koivu I'd say) I have no idea how his game will translate into the NHL, but if he can find a way to use all those offensive skills then the Habs are in great shape. Perezhogin I have always been concerned about his lack of size/strength, but he clearly has a ton of skill. After a very good year in the RSL at 19 and a very good year in the AHL at 20, it's now tough to say what will happen to his future, but if he can overcome this injustice of the AHL, he should be a solid NHLer one day. Higgins rounds out the top three of forwards, and could be our top prospect, as he is very solid in all areas of the game except face-offs. With Kostitsyn-Perezhogin-Higgins we have one of the best 1-2-3 prospect combos I have seen in this organization. Then add a solid character guy in Chipchura and a highly skilled Plekanec, another highly skilled but zero intenisty in Hossa, you get some very impressive forward prospects.

Now add Corey Locke, who's improved his skating and foot speed, Cory Urquhart who's also improved his skating and foot speed, Michael Lambert who has a great shot/skating/speed although needs to be more physical/intense/and improve defensively, then Maxim Lapierre who plays an impressive intense, gritty game with very good skating/speed/hard work. J T Wyman we won't hear too much on, but he is the real wild card, as he could develop into a solid prospect, or turn into a waste of a pick.

Then there's Duncan Milroy who has a lot of skill, just needs to show he can translate it into pro success. Jonathan Ferland has good size and skills, looks to have improved his skating/foot speed as well. Danny Stewart is still a long ways away but he's got good offensive skills. Greg Stewart is a physical winger with decent size/skating/speed.

Old
07-21-2004, 07:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
Not even close. Ouellet is probably the best goalie prospect other than Fleury and Lehtonen. Danis isn't on that level. Ouellet is a significantly better prospect than Danis.
Im clearly not as high as you on Ouellet

Old
07-22-2004, 04:42 PM
canuck293

I'd put Ouellet right under Lehtonen and Fleury, he has the potential to be an incredible goaltender, easily top four!

Old
07-25-2004, 06:13 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Dude, give the guy more than 3 and a half hours to answer!

Like a day would be a decent amount of time to give him to answer before asking again
Still no source? C'mon where is this top 100 prospects list that the Habs 'dominate' that you were all talking about?

Old
07-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Still no source? C'mon where is this top 100 prospects list that the Habs 'dominate' that you were all talking about?
By "all" you mean "that one guy" right?

Old
07-29-2004, 10:06 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Is there a top 100 prospect list or was someone just full of hot air when they were puffing out their chest? And yes Squiggy, I meant someone, not everyone in the previous post.

Old
07-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Aarex

Quote:
Is there a top 100 prospect list or was someone just full of hot air when they were puffing out their chest? And yes Squiggy, I meant someone, not everyone in the previous post.
I'd assume he is talking about the top 50 list. Where they list only 1 Canadian in the top 25.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6764 Is the intro article.

"As for the list itself, there is at least one area of agreement between the group that compiled the top 50 list and the one that produced HF’s organizational rankings -- the Montreal Canadiens are the current kings of the NHL prospect kingdom. The Habs placed the most prospects on our Top 50 list, with Buffalo, Detroit, Los Angeles and Washington also being well represented. At the other end of the spectrum, there were four teams that didn’t place a player on this list, which might point to the fact that not every team has high-end talent in their system."

The list itself can be found

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/top50.php

Last edited by Aarex: 07-29-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Closed Thread