HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v15 |Report: Tentative deal reached. Season may begin as soon as Xmas day.

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
MrLegend28

vCash: 500
any fan of losing isn't a fan of the team.

Old
12-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Shimso

I really wish it was setup so that losing wasn't incentivized.

Its messed up that 9th place is monumentally worse (attendance notwithstanding) than dead least in the league.

Old
12-06-2011, 04:44 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Not to pick on you, but I hate when people post this.

When people state they want the Raptors to lose, it's not necessarily because they enjoy watching the team lose, but they realize that it's better for the teams future to finish 15th as opposed to 8th.

I'm sick of Toronto teams being stuck on a treadmill, and I genuinely hope the Raptors management completes a proper rebuild.

The team simply doesn't have enough talent to compete in the playoffs, but because of the joke of a conference the East is, it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to make a push for the playoffs. I, and many other, look at this scenario as a "worst-possible" type of scenario, simply because the team wouldn't do anything in the playoffs and the pick wouldn't be high enough to get the player that allows them to do so (compete in the playoffs).

I agree with what Shimso said in that losing should not be rewarded, but because of how the league is set-up it's the only logical way for teams with the inability to attract good free agents to build a team.

That's just the way it is.

Old
12-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Raptors 2011-2012 schedule

http://www.nba.com/gameline/raptors/

Back to back to back (9th, 10th, 11th) vs the Wolves, Wizards and Kings.

Old
12-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Ogilthorpe

Quote:
because basketball is a game of superstars. You don't build teams, you draft a superstar and build a supporting cast. You become a championship team by having lottery pick(s), or by being an attractive enough market to entice the big time free agents.

San Antonio is the exception to the rule. And I don't find there to be a whole lot of character guys to go around in the NBA like there is in other sports.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
MarcWagz

Quote:
not true.
a fan willing to sacrifice a year of basketball for the good of the team is the pure definition of a great fan

Old
12-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilthorpe View Post
because basketball is a game of superstars. You don't build teams, you draft a superstar and build a supporting cast. You become a championship team by having lottery pick(s), or by being an attractive enough market to entice the big time free agents.

San Antonio is the exception to the rule. And I don't find there to be a whole lot of character guys to go around in the NBA like there is in other sports.
Tim Duncan: 1st overall.

I do agree with the drafting superstar part. Raptors need to get a franchise player.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:44 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilthorpe View Post

Tim Duncan was a #1 overall pick. David Robinson was a top pick as well. I know that doesn't cover the guys like Parker and Ginobili that were late 1sts or 2nds, but the two guys who have been the indisputable core pieces of their championship teams were high high picks.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
The reason why teams like the Raptors can't succeed through the draft is because players don't want to stay here. Go through all the players that have left and you have an All-Star in itself (minus Arajuao, Charlie V (although he was great) and a few others.. The Raptors have drafted well, just everyone leaves. If T-Mac would've stayed, just him, and VC, we'd be having a way different conversation about the draft.

The draft works, we are going to watch it work. Derozan, Jonas, Ed Davis, these guys will be happy in Toronto.. Hopefully. We just need to keep doing the smart decisions with this organization, which is drafting and drafting smart.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:09 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
The reason why teams like the Raptors can't succeed through the draft is because players don't want to stay here. Go through all the players that have left and you have an All-Star in itself (minus Arajuao, Charlie V (although he was great) and a few others.. The Raptors have drafted well, just everyone leaves. If T-Mac would've stayed, just him, and VC, we'd be having a way different conversation about the draft.

The draft works, we are going to watch it work. Derozan, Jonas, Ed Davis, these guys will be happy in Toronto.. Hopefully. We just need to keep doing the smart decisions with this organization, which is drafting and drafting smart.
I agree with this. Except Charlie V. I think we luckily sold high on him before the league caught on that he's an indiscriminate chucker and doesn't play any D.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:10 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I agree with this. Except Charlie V. I think we luckily sold high on him before the league caught on that he's an indiscriminate chucker and doesn't play any D.
No one at the time on the team played defense. And everyone on the team was a chucker. Unfair. But, I just said he was great. Never said he was a can't miss player.

Everyone knows we could've had an amazing team if we could've got free agents to stay here.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
No one at the time on the team played defense. And everyone on the team was a chucker. Unfair. But, I just said he was great. Never said he was a can't miss player.

Everyone knows we could've had an amazing team if we could've got free agents to stay here.
So we lucked out that the team disguised Villanueva's flaws by making them look like common faults of the whole team. I'm just saying that he wasn't all that great. He was good for that Raptors team because they didn't demand the things of him that he can't do and because positional depth with Bosh let him play against the "b" unit of most other teams . But since then as a member of the Bucks and Pistons, he's shown that he can't handle being a full-time starter with the same effectiveness and that relying on him to do more than was was expected of him as a rookie.

Even if hte Raptors could've held onto their FAs, I still flip him for TJ Ford.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

There are about 12 superstars and four teams will have them all. The NBA may as well be a six team league.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
There are about 12 superstars and four teams will have them all. The NBA may as well be a six team league.
pretty much. NBA should just contract down to Boston, LA (lakers), Miami, New York, Dallas, and Chicago and be done with it. It's not even about "going to a winning team" anymore. It's about going to a big/popular/flashy market with the lifestyle they want and recruiting enough of their buddies to make that team a winner.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Warriors Offering Curry, Thompson, Udoh For Paul

Not Raps related, but..

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Udoh_For_Paul

Quote:
According to sources, Golden State is offering Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Ekpe Udoh. The team would also amnesty Andris Biedrins in order to create cap space to reunite Paul with Tyson Chandler.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
pretty much. NBA should just contract down to Boston, LA (lakers), Miami, New York, Dallas, and Chicago and be done with it. It's not even about "going to a winning team" anymore. It's about going to a big/popular/flashy market with the lifestyle they want and recruiting enough of their buddies to make that team a winner.
It's unbelievably unfair. I hate the NBA.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:47 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
It's unbelievably unfair. I hate the NBA.
The worst thing is that the new CBA did nothing to curb this. If anything it made it easier. And then you have apologist pro-player jouralists arguing that this is no different than one of us moving somewhere else for our job. As if I could stroll into my boss' office and say "yeah, I think I'm done working here. I want to be transferred to the San Francisco office where it's nice and warm and I can watch Sharks games whenever I want."

Old
12-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
The worst thing is that the new CBA did nothing to curb this. If anything it made it easier. And then you have apologist pro-player jouralists arguing that this is no different than one of us moving somewhere else for our job. As if I could stroll into my boss' office and say "yeah, I think I'm done working here. I want to be transferred to the San Francisco office where it's nice and warm and I can watch Sharks games whenever I want."
We should try it. I'm going to go to my radio station and tell them.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Raps in the mix for Jamaal Magloire and Kwame Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/christomasson

Quote:
christomasson Chris Tomasson
In addition to Heat, Mark Bartelstein named Charlotte, Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia and Sacramento as other teams in mix for Kwame Brown.
9 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Kwame freakin Brown..

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...an-raptor.html

Quote:
I keep hearing that Magloire, coming off his 11th NBA season, is on Toronto’s radar as a free agent; a big, veteran centre they could get for the minimum who might be good in practice and the odd game when his mixture of brawn and a willingness to bang some bodies around would help out.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
http://www.nba.com/gameline/raptors/

Back to back to back (9th, 10th, 11th) vs the Wolves, Wizards and Kings.
That is one jam-packed schedule!

Old
12-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Lol the Raps want some more scrubs as if we didn't have enough of them on the roster

Old
12-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Shimso

Quote:
but they have families to feed! its the same reason why bosh doesn't like players diving for loose balls!

its nuts that the players can demand trades just because they don't want to uphold the contract that they signed. it'll be interesting to see what the ratings and attendance are like for all the teams that aren't contenders. i think/hope more and more people are getting tired of the divas.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

So we'll be playing 19 games in 31 days, including 5 games in 6 days. I doubt the youth on this team is going to save them from the fatigue they'll most likely endure.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Colangelo media briefing today..

Quote:
WolstatSun Ryan Wolstat
Colangelo says Raptors intend to keep cap space flexibility. Looking at short-term deals
Quote:
WolstatSun Ryan Wolstat
Colangelo: Raptors expect to have $10-20M in cap space next summer + 2 high picks coming over
31 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Quote:
WolstatSun Ryan Wolstat
Linas Kleiza 1-2 months away from playing so three spot clear need according to Colangelo. Also wants third PG and a C
28 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
"+ 2 high picks coming over" is very telling. Even BC knows we'll suck this year and get a high pick.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 12-07-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old
12-07-2011, 03:09 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

1000 posts. new thread forthcoming.

Closed Thread