HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v15 |Report: Tentative deal reached. Season may begin as soon as Xmas day.

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

vCash: 500
We need some veteran pieces so Parker makes sense but I don't see the Spurs giving up Parker.

My only choice would be Kemba Walker. Passing up on him is a BIG mistake. I don't think Knight would be a good fit and the other players are project players, you don't know what you'll get. Now is NOT the time to gamble. Get the best player available.

As I said, BC is in a tough spot, I'm sure Casey wants his own philosophy, being defensive team first.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Look at the 2001 team where we finished 47- 35.

Muggsy Bogues
Vince Carter
Chris Childs
Keon Clark
Dell Curry
Antonio Davis
Tracy Murray
Charles Oakley
Morris Peterson
Michael Stewart
Alvin Williams
Jerome Williams
Corliss Williamson
Kevin Willis

A team with youth and veterans.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
We need some veteran pieces so Parker makes sense but I don't see the Spurs giving up Parker.

My only choice would be Kemba Walker. Passing up on him is a BIG mistake. I don't think Knight would be a good fit and the other players are project players, you don't know what you'll get. Now is NOT the time to gamble. Get the best player available.

As I said, BC is in a tough spot, I'm sure Casey wants his own philosophy, being defensive team first.
It seems Spurs are very intent on trading Parker and I can understand why. He is going to decline soon.

It would be a step back for the Raptors to acquire Parker. Raptors are rebuilding, no point taking a point guard with a big contract, is likely going to decline soon and isn't the right fit IMO. He is much more of a scorer than a playmaker and that's not what we need. We also have Calderon and Bayless.

BC would be foolish to get him IMO.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:24 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

When i'm watching the draft and it's our pick I will be like "pick walker pick walker pick walker"

"The Toronto Raptors select Bismack Biyombo"

Old
06-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
When i'm watching the draft and it's our pick I will be like "pick walker pick walker pick walker"

I WILL RAGE QUIT THIS FRANCHISE.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
How do people rate Kemba's distribution skills? Like can he run and distribute an offense(a la say a Rondo) or is he more of Brandon Jennings type PG? (not quality wise, but his playing style)

06-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Un33q

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post

I can totally see this happening... and I will pull my hat way down to hide my tears...

Old
06-23-2011, 01:46 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

I read somewhere that there were rumblings that Brandon Jennings was going to be traded. Him and Derozan grew up together imagine them at 1-2 lol but walker-derozan 1-2 sounds good to me if not then take doc river's son next season

Old
06-23-2011, 04:22 AM
4thliner*

Kemba Walker...take this kid NOW. Extremely underrated player and I have him as the 2nd best PG in the draft behind Irving, with an outside chance to be as good or even better.

Proven winner, proven producer, and ready to impact the NBA. ROY next year if they take him.

Colangelo needs to get fired if Kemba is a available and he takes some euro project like Jan Vesely who he is rumored to be all but taking tonight. You want Vesely when you already got Il Mago err El Softo?

Old
06-23-2011, 04:31 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
How do people rate Kemba's distribution skills? Like can he run and distribute an offense(a la say a Rondo) or is he more of Brandon Jennings type PG? (not quality wise, but his playing style)
He is a scorer. Can distribute also but most of his points and plays come from beating the other PG to the dribble and breaking down defences and shooting. And he can score almost at will. A better version of T. J. Ford with character and toughness. Ford was very quick, Walker is quicker.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:15 AM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsingh View Post
I read somewhere that there were rumblings that Brandon Jennings was going to be traded. Him and Derozan grew up together imagine them at 1-2 lol but walker-derozan 1-2 sounds good to me if not then take doc river's son next season
Jennings and Derozan? Neither shoots very well but I give you that both are flashy. But Walker and Derozan... hmmm, that's more interesting. The question with Coach Casey is defense. The real question then is whether Walker can play high level defense in the league. I don't know the answer to that, but I think it is probably the question the Raps front office is weighing.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:24 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Look at the 2001 team where we finished 47- 35.

Muggsy Bogues
Vince Carter
Chris Childs
Keon Clark
Dell Curry
Antonio Davis
Tracy Murray
Charles Oakley
Morris Peterson
Michael Stewart
Alvin Williams
Jerome Williams
Corliss Williamson
Kevin Willis

A team with youth and veterans.
Man..that was the first year I really started watching the Raptors hardcore. Good times. Doug Christie was unreal too.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Cool Hand Luke

How are you guys so sure about these prospects? The NBA is littered with guys who were supposed to be "sure things" that are riding benches. How do you know that Biyombo is going to bust? Why is would everyone be so upset about us picking him? After Irving and Williams, it's pretty much a crap shoot. This draft is looking very similar to the NHL draft.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
He's a legit passer. I think people underrate him a lot in that department because he had to keep the ball for his team to have a better chance to win.

He's not going to make double-digit assists consistently though, but his scoring and defense are top notch. If he were drafted by the Raps, he'd be their best point guard by far.

As far as the draft goes, if it's not Walker or Knight, I'd rather go for a stud defender like BB or Leonard. Biyombo looks like he could be a force inside on D, and Leonard has that Gerald Wallace potential, which would be so awesome (if HE can avoid injuries ).

Old
06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

Wish we could have gotten Kanter, but I hope we take Knight or Walker.

Hate Calderon, hopefully we get one of the young PG's.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:59 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:

This is exactly the time to gamble.

We were the third worst team in the league, and the talent we currently have doesn't exactly scream championship.

There is no better time to gamble then right now. Go for the home-run and see how close you get.

I'd rather the Raptors gamble now then when we're only one or two pieces away.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:02 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
He's a legit passer. I think people underrate him a lot in that department because he had to keep the ball for his team to have a better chance to win.

He's not going to make double-digit assists consistently though, but his scoring and defense are top notch. If he were drafted by the Raps, he'd be their best point guard by far.

As far as the draft goes, if it's not Walker or Knight, I'd rather go for a stud defender like BB or Leonard. Biyombo looks like he could be a force inside on D, and Leonard has that Gerald Wallace potential, which would be so awesome (if HE can avoid injuries ).
Walker doesn't have top notch defense.

His defense has been questioned just as much as his distribution skills.

If you want a top notch defender at the point in this draft, then Brandon Knight is your guy, not Kemba Walker.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:03 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
This is exactly the time to gamble.

We were the third worst team in the league, and the talent we currently have doesn't exactly scream championship.

There is no better time to gamble then right now. Go for the home-run and see how close you get.

I'd rather the Raptors gamble now then when we're only one or two pieces away.
For SURE.

Especially in a draft like this where there is no "sure thing" outside of Irving and Williams.

Lets swing for the fences and go with the guy who our scouts think has the biggest upside.

If its Brandon Knight, who is being compared to a slower, but better defending John Wall... and a possible Jason Terry down the road... lets go for it.

If its Bismack Biyombo who could be the premier defensive player in this draft pull the trigger.

If its Kawhi Leonard who is an athletic freak and hardworker, and could be the next Andre Iguodala and have our 2 (derozan) and 3 (leonard) dunking on everyone and there grandmama then why not.

I really hope Colangelo dreams big here and doesn't keep the safety on. There's no use in drafting a guy cause he's definitely gonna be an NBA player (like Walker) but only projects to be a rotation guy.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Walker doesn't have top notch defense.

His defense has been questioned just as much as his distribution skills.

If you want a top notch defender at the point in this draft, then Brandon Knight is your guy, not Kemba Walker.
Solid rebounder, good at getting steals, doesn't get burned...

What's wrong with his D exactly? Except for size concerns, because that's about the only knock that's founded.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:11 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
For SURE.

Especially in a draft like this where there is no "sure thing" outside of Irving and Williams.

Lets swing for the fences and go with the guy who our scouts think has the biggest upside.

If its Brandon Knight, who is being compared to a slower, but better defending John Wall... and a possible Jason Terry down the road... lets go for it.

If its Bismack Biyombo who could be the premier defensive player in this draft pull the trigger.

If its Kawhi Leonard who is an athletic freak and hardworker, and could be the next Andre Iguodala and have our 2 (derozan) and 3 (leonard) dunking on everyone and there grandmama then why not.

I really hope Colangelo dreams big here and doesn't keep the safety on. There's no use in drafting a guy cause he's definitely gonna be an NBA player (like Walker) but only projects to be a rotation guy.
This xaboutazillion.

This is exactly how I feel.

The only thing, from my point of view, that's wrong with this post is when you say Leonard is an athletic freak. He's actually considered very average, but his length makes it look like he's a fantastic athlete.

Still, he projects, if he reaches his maximum potential, to become a Gerald Wallace like player. Someone I would love to see on the Raptors.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:15 AM
topched

Quote:

What's wrong with his D exactly? Except for size concerns, because that's about the only knock that's founded.
Size, Quickness, and smarts. From what I saw a little, and read mostly.

They might of been posted before but I read a few good scouting reports on the the NCAA guys raps are interested in on SI... All input is from NBA scouts.

Quote:
Brandon Knight, 6-3 freshman guard, Kentucky. He won't work out against other players. To be honest, I think his agent is playing it right. Kyrie won't work out with him, so there's no advantage to working out with other guys. He'll be one of the top picks, for sure.

Kawhi Leonard, 6-7 sophomore forward, San Diego State. The kid is a complete gym rat. They say he's going into the gym at night, getting janitors to open the place up for him, so he's going to work hard to get better. I heard during a workout in Washington he just destroyed Jordan Hamilton. About halfway through, Hamilton quit because he couldn't get his shot off. [Hamilton told reporters that he felt dizzy during the June 7 workout.] Leonard's shooting is a huge concern because at the end of the day when the ball gets swung to the corner, you have to make open shots. Yes, he's a great athlete, but those guys tend to do better in track and field. The last time I checked, that scoreboard keeps track of points.

Kemba Walker, 6-1 junior point guard, UConn. People seem to have him in pretty high company, but I don't see that. I think he's a backup, so how do you take a backup in the top 10? He reminds me of Ben Gordon, and not in a good way. I see him as a point guard, and that's the problem: When your point guard is leading you in shot attempts, you wonder if he's Allen Iverson or Brandon Jennings. Those aren't winning point guards; they're just small guards who can score.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:19 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:

Yeah, that one's pretty major.

I'm not saying he won't be good, but, by almost all accounts excluding the ability to steal the ball (highly overrated when talking about defensive ability) Brandon Knight is, and projects to be, a better defender.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Yeah, that one's pretty major.

I'm not saying he won't be good, but, by almost all accounts excluding the ability to steal the ball (highly overrated when talking about defensive ability) Brandon Knight is, and projects to be, a better defender.
One excelling in that department doesn't make the other not excel.

Walker plays good D, I don't know how he'll do against other PGs or wing players in the NBA, but overall the idea that his defense is a problem does not exist in my mind.

He rebounds pretty well for a guy his size too.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
MarcWagz

okay everyone here is going to be disappointed.
raptors are not taking walker.
they have pretty much verified that by now

if Knight is there they take him, if not they take Biyombo or Val

Old
06-23-2011, 09:34 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
okay everyone here is going to be disappointed.
raptors are not taking walker.
they have pretty much verified that by now

if Knight is there they take him, if not they take Biyombo or Val
Yeah, I was wondering if it had been posted yet, but here's the tweet to prove MarcWagz post:

Quote:
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Kemba Walker could be the player dropping in lottery, especially because sources say Toronto (5th pick) and Detroit (8th) will pass on him

For those who don't like Biyombo you're not going to like this article:

Quote:
Not too many of the Henchmen were around yesterday at the other of texts or e-mails and Bryan tends to go far under cover in the final hours before the draft so to suggest there was any new insight is a bit of a stretch.

But the one name I heard linked to these guys more than any other – and not just from people here, either – was Bismack Biyombo, the raw 19-year-old Congo kid.

And if you think of it, maybe going with a big guy and someone young and full of potential is the way to go.

It’s a young group anyway, not likely going to contend for anything other than relative mediocrity next year and another young big, given the alternatives, makes sense.

Now, I’ll say that if Brandon Knight falls to No. 5 – and it would most likely only happen if Utah takes Kanter at No. 3 – they’ll snap him up but of the group that’s likely to be there, why not take a shot at Biyombo, a 6-9 bit of an energetic beast.

This I heard, and it’s paraphrased, about Biyombo from a friend last night who got it from the GM of the team he covers:

“His offensive game isn’t nearly as bad as I was led to believe. Good footwork, just needs coaching.”

Closed Thread