HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Senators & Islanders Interested In Semin

Old
06-14-2011, 09:47 AM
dashtary*

vCash: 500
Senators & Islanders Interested In Semin

From ***********:

He's spot-on on almost everything and posts a lot of things before the big guns get to it.

Quote:
The Ottawa Senators are interested in the Washington Capitals winger, Alex Semin.
Quote:
If Alex Semin is traded to the Ottawa Senators there is no chance that Jason Spezza would be going the other way.
Quote:
The New York Islanders are another team that is interested in Capitals winger Alex Semin.
Thoughts?

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Langway
Intangibles

BDGallof: No truth to #isles and Semin rumors, btw, folks

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:53 AM
dashtary*

That's only one source though, no? Or he's an Isles news go-to?

Old
06-14-2011, 09:56 AM
DCRedhawk21

A couple....

1. What does Ottawa have (obviously other than Spezza) that would entice us to trade Semin? I can't see them trading Karlsson, and I'm guessing Rundblad and Cowen are probably off the table also... In short, what motivates the Caps, in win-now mode, to trade to a team short on proven players but heavy in picks and prospects?

2. Why do either of these teams want him? I would think it makes more sense for him to go to a team that feels like they are a legitimate scoring threat away from contending (like LA).

3. A line of Alfredsson - Spezza- Semin would be dangerous.

4. This seems to be at least somewhat motivated by dumping salary. Has GMGM decided to change his stripes and is looking to make a splash in FA? With the cap going up and Poti either coming back or going on LTIR, they have enough room to resign their players and add a little depth without this...

These are just the things that popped into my head..

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
That's only one source though, no? Or he's an Isles news go-to?
Yes...and that goes both ways doesn't it?

The Islanders have built up a lot of attractive young assets. Ottawa has as well but much less so.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Semin on an inflated 1 year deal to a rebuilding squad makes no sense.

Among non-contenders, I guess Florida makes sense...as a means to reach the floor and then trade to a contender at the deadline. But in that scenario, they wouldn't be giving up anything of value, or it undercut the purpose of the deal.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:11 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

No one wants Semin

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Semin on an inflated 1 year deal to a rebuilding squad makes no sense.

Among non-contenders, I guess Florida makes sense...as a means to reach the floor and then trade to a contender at the deadline. But in that scenario, they wouldn't be giving up anything of value, or it undercut the purpose of the deal.
I could see a team like the Isles or Blue Jackets, who want to just get over the hump and into the playoffs, being interested in Semin.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:39 AM
txpd

semin and carter are about the only targets for off season talk. likely neither gets traded. just like last off season.

edit: if semin were to be traded, the return very likely means very little. it could be semin for some cap space and a draft pick.
$6m players are hard to trade. if you want the caps to trade semin, be prepared not to get a roster player in return much less equal value.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:06 AM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yes...and that goes both ways doesn't it?

The Islanders have built up a lot of attractive young assets. Ottawa has as well but much less so.
Yeah that's what I was trying to say. And yes they both do have some assets that we could use.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:10 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
semin and carter are about the only targets for off season talk. likely neither gets traded. just like last off season.

edit: if semin were to be traded, the return very likely means very little. it could be semin for some cap space and a draft pick.
$6m players are hard to trade. if you want the caps to trade semin, be prepared not to get a roster player in return much less equal value.
I wouldn't bet against Carter moving this off season. I mean, Philly has to do something. I'd imagine they have to move at least $4 million in salary out to be able to sign Bryzgalov.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I'd like to trade Semin for somebody like Chris Neil (Ottawa, #3C, 2 more years under contract ~ 2,1M AFAIR). IMHO that's the player we need more of.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Neil is a RW.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Capitlols

Semin for Michalek...wishful thinking.

The source isn't very credible, but I hope there is a market for Semin.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:59 AM
txpd

i would bet that the flyers dont get bryz signed.

Old
06-14-2011, 12:07 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
i would bet that the flyers dont get bryz signed.
Wishful thinking. They're going to trade Versteeg to the west coast (LA makes sense) for a nice return and they're going to sign Bryzgalov to a contract that isn't terrible. All while keeping everyone important.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:11 PM
txpd

the flyers traded for hamhuis rights last off season and didnt get him signed. its not like they have not been down that road before. personally i hope they sign him for 5 or 6 years at $6.5m per.

i dont think they would trade any of their big star players. they dumped gagne last off season for cap reasons. i expect they would let leino walk and give versteeg away and possibly carle as well. they'd find a way

Old
06-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
the flyers traded for hamhuis rights last off season and didnt get him signed. its not like they have not been down that road before. personally i hope they sign him for 5 or 6 years at $6.5m per.

i dont think they would trade any of their big star players. they dumped gagne last off season for cap reasons. i expect they would let leino walk and give versteeg away and possibly carle as well. they'd find a way
Didn't Hamhuis say all along he wanted to play for Vancouver(if not Nashville)? Doubt the Flyers had a chance unless they wanted to overpay.

Bryz allegedly said he would like to play for the Flyers, so I think something can be worked out. I'd imagine Carter would be the odd man out, depending on the Bryz's contract.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:20 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
I'd like to trade Semin for somebody like Chris Neil (Ottawa, #3C, 2 more years under contract ~ 2,1M AFAIR). IMHO that's the player we need more of.
I was thinking about Neil yesterday when trying to figure out who our RW's should be. Tick tock, Bradley hasnt signed. Andrew Gordon, UFA. Rumors of Semin being moved, people wanting him moved, on a one year anyways.... that leaves Knuble. Who is no spring chicken himself.

And Fehr, the only guy to catch blame in the playoffs. Who I think is destined for a checking role, square peg round hold stuck behind Knuble and Semin here. How can he out perform Knuble, a polished crafty durable vet? I think we should move Fehr since Bruce doesnt like him, and Bruce isnt going anywhere.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Didn't Hamhuis say all along he wanted to play for Vancouver(if not Nashville)? Doubt the Flyers had a chance unless they wanted to overpay.

Bryz allegedly said he would like to play for the Flyers, so I think something can be worked out. I'd imagine Carter would be the odd man out, depending on the Bryz's contract.
all ive read on this subject from bryzgolov was by way of bobbymac who said that bryz wants between 6 and 7m to sign anywhere. ive seen nothing saying that he wants to play for the flyers.

yes, hamhuis said he wanted to play for vancouver and holmgren traded for his rights anyway. i dont think the flyers are prepared to sign a goalie for 5 plus years at $6m plus per. time will tell. the flyers are wheeler dealers. sometimes that works in their favor and sometimes blows up in their faces. we will see which of those things this is.

Old
06-14-2011, 01:18 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Neil is a RW.
Semin for Neil is silly. Neil is a 20pt 3rd liner. Semin's value isn't that low. It's a lock there'd be multiple teams with acceptable packages should he be on the market. Which I hope he next Fri.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:22 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Semin for Neil is silly. Neil is a 20pt 3rd liner. Semin's value isn't that low. It's a lock there'd be multiple teams with acceptable packages should he be on the market. Which I hope he next Fri.
Why do I expect a "pot calling kettle black" response to this post upcoming.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:27 PM
txpd

Ecaps, you need to think 3 dimensionally. The Flyers trade a prospect and a 3rd rounder for Bryzgolov but signing him also forces them to move Carter to clear the cap space. Effectively its Carter, a prospect and a draft pick for Bryzgolov, a prospect and a draft pick(the latter two coming in exchange for Carter).

If the Caps trade Semin for Niel and a 1st round pick, then use the $6m in cap space to sign, say....Blaska, its effectively Semin for Blaska, Niel and a pick.

The teams that can take on a cap hit like Semin or Carter's are very likely not going to be in a position to bring you the assets you need. You take what you can get to clear the cap space and then use that salary to get what you need elsewhere.

So, when you badly want Semin gone, just realize that its possible to likely that the Caps get very little in the actual trade. This may be a major factor in why McPhee chooses to keep him.

Old
06-14-2011, 01:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Semin for Michalek...wishful thinking.

The source isn't very credible, but I hope there is a market for Semin.
That was my immediate thought....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:07 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

That MacDonagh kid and Higgins the Rags got say differently.

I think what always holds true are there are no locks and comparables are worthless. Its hard to "comp" deals because each GM's value system is different and that system changes over time. A deal is done when the two values meet.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote