HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Senators & Islanders Interested In Semin

Old
06-15-2011, 04:11 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
This may be hard to swallow but it may be addition by subtraction. Moving him would a big step in changing the make up and values of the team. I would be much happier with two 3mill players that worked hard every night. And let that hard work rub off on the other players.

Mr Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
As for specifics...with Brooks Laich probably leaving (and even if he doesn't), I'd offer Semin to the Sharks for Ryane Clowe and a 2nd rounder. Of course, the Capitals would be sacrificing about 10-15 possible goals of offense and possibly risk becoming a one-line team unless they sign another forward or buy out Kuznetsov's KHL contract and convince him to come over next season. But Clowe is a guy I would love to see on the top two lines.
I can't see in anyway that being enough to pry Clowe out of San Jose. He just had his best NHL season ever, was a force in the playoffs as their best forward IMO, and is signed for 2 more seasons at a very reasonable sub $4 mil cap hit. They are in the same boat as the Caps in needing to translate regular season greatness into at least a birth in the cup finals and thus if anything would want to add a similar player not subtract one.

I 100% agree that he would be a fantastic addition to the Caps but there is no way I could see the Sharks being willing to move him in a straight up swap of wingers regardless of whatever else is coming back there way to make it more equitable. I don't think they move Clowe to the Caps for Semin and a 1st, let alone a 2nd, which the Caps don't have anyway but whatever.

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:12 AM
discobob

If we could trade Semin entirely for futures, and then use that money to sign Brad Richards, then I'd be fine, but....there aren't any other UFA's who bring more offense than Semin, which we can't just give away for roll players.

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
This may be hard to swallow but it may be addition by subtraction. Moving him would a big step in changing the make up and values of the team. I would be much happier with two 3mill players that worked hard every night. And let that hard work rub off on the other players.
Ah yes, a couple of hard working $3 mil 'mystery' players. Who could argue with that...?

Why is it that mystery players always only have positive attributes, in this case they are hard working and carry caps hits that we have to assume are accurate indicators of their skill level? They never ever, ever, ever, ever have negative attributes. Why is that and how realistic is that? How many perfect players are out there anyway? IMO none yet around here it is a no brainer that the Caps should be adding them left and right and McPhee is a fool because he doesn't see that.

Start putting some names down people so we can point out the negatives in their games the same way you find it so easy to point out the negatives in so many Caps' players' games.

Old
06-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobob View Post
If we could trade Semin entirely for futures, and then use that money to sign Brad Richards, then I'd be fine, but....there aren't any other UFA's who bring more offense than Semin, which we can't just give away for roll players.
What if Richards doesn't want to come here for whatever reason? He's won a cup and made a ton of money in his career so it makes sense that he will want to finish his career in a location he wants to be in. If he wants to go back to Tampa how much money are you willing to throw at him to basically make it an offer he can't refuse?

So you deal Semin for futures and Richards signs somewhere else, what do you do then? How many goals is 'cap space' going to score next season? Is 'cap space' going to keep other teams from completely loading up against Ovechkin? Is 'cap space' a 'winner' or just another one of McPhee's endless list of 'losers?'

Old
06-15-2011, 08:57 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
How do you expect someone to name these players when GMs keep them private until deals are made?

I'm convinced the anti-trade Semin fans are either fanboys or generally afraid of ambiguity and would jump right on the bandwagon of almost decent trade once it actually happened and there were new players wearing Caps sweaters.
Most maybe, but be careful of the broad brush strokes. I bet there are a number of that anti semin/anti mcphee group would, a. trash any trade or b. assume that the lack of a big trade means that mcphee wasn't shopping.

You see, I have no idea whether he is shopping semin or not. i have no way of knowing if he is not traded, why that was.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
All I hear from you is a bunch of talk and no solutions. Sure you're not required to give one, you're not in the organization, but if you're going to cry and scream and tear into people that don't want Semin gone, why don't you bring some construction with you and enlighten us idiots. I mostly don't want Semin gone because I can't think of any sort of feasible package, and known quantities like Semin aren't really the kind that you dispose of, not for substantially lesser parts and the chance to sign someone who fills a hole.
I couldn't agree more. Well said.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:35 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Want names? Look for anyone in the finals that makes less than 2 million dollars per year, and has appeared angry or upset at losing at some point during the playoffs. That punk from Boston, Marchand.

Not for Semin, to remain on topic.

He would be our smallest player, but may have the second biggest heart. We need an injection of a few of those types to round out the team. We have skill and nice guys all around. I think we need someone like that at each position, 5 total. Guys not fun to play against. If you watch 1000+ games a year and dont know the names, so be it. George knows for us.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:51 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Marchand is a 20-goal, 40-point rookie. Players like him are exceedingly difficult to acquire.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:53 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Semin couldnt land him?

Ok here are some more:

Burrows
Lapierre
Horton
Rypien
Rome
Eager
Ference

Bring on all the negatives, the bonehead play the guy made that you will never forget.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Want names? Look for anyone in the finals that makes less than 2 million dollars per year, and has appeared angry or upset at losing at some point during the playoffs. That punk from Boston, Marchand.

He would be our smallest player, but may have the second biggest heart. We need an injection of a few of those types to round out the team. We have skill and nice guys all around. I think we need someone like that at each position, 5 total. Guys not fun to play against. If you watch 1000+ games a year and dont know the names, so be it. George knows for us.
I had no idea GMing was so easy. You just watch the finals, find a couple guys on each team you like, wait for the finals to end and then call each GM and tell them you would like players X, Y, and Z, they say, 'well we did just win the cup/get to the finals and really like our team and said players but sure assets A, B, and C, that conveniently you want to part with anyway, sounds great, and then pull the trigger on the deal.

Are you sure limiting yourself to just the 2 teams that made the finals is wise? I mean this seems like a sure fire formula for getting pretty much any player in the league you want.

Someone needs to get this to McPhee right away as this is about as fool proof as the underpants gnomes plan...

Old
06-15-2011, 11:04 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Semin couldnt land him?

Ok here are some more:

Burrows
Lapierre
Horton
Rypien
Rome
Eager
Ference

Bring on all the negatives, the bonehead play the guy made that you will never forget.
Not a chance Semin gets you Marchand.

Wouldn't want the stupidity of Rypien or Eager anywhere near this team. I also don't think they're particularly good hockey players. I'd be fine with any of the others.

I understand where you're coming from, and I agree with the concept. Some guys of the difficult-to-play-against ilk that I like (and might be attainable): Jordin Tootoo, Chris Neil, Steve Ott, Brandon Prust, Scott Hartnell, Kyle Clifford, Chad LaRose

Old
06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:

I am with you a 100% on this one. We dont have any grit to balance off our high end skill. Guys like Laich or Semin just add more skill to a line. And do nothing to fix what is really missing from the team.

These guys are more of what we have and what we need.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:08 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

So Laich is a skill player now?

Old
06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So Laich is a skill player now?
Yeah I didn't get that either. Lumping Semin and Laich into the same category of player type doesn't seem in anyway accurate to me unless the categories are forwards and Caps.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:35 AM
txpd

love it. alex semin for max lapierre or rick rypien.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Obtuseness FTW.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

They are by no means the same payer. But both of them are missing the grit we need to balance off our skilled guys. Semin is all skill and nothing else. And Laich really has no defined role/skill. Jack of all trades but a master of none.

Look at the guys vancouver added this past season. They added the grit they needed to make them hard to play against.

Torres, Lapierre or Malhotra. None of them making much money. but all of them are hard to play against.

I just don't think GMGM know what it takes to put a cup team together. He is a good collector of talent. But I don't think he know how to fit them together.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
LetsGoBears

Holy hell…what is going on in here? Philly dumping Richards for a goalie? Semin for Burrows amongst others?

Quote:
Torres, Lapierre or Malhotra. None of them making much money. but all of them are hard to play against.
Malhotra i'll give you, but for the love of god wear a shield you idiot. Lapierre and Torres on GOOD nights are a lock for 1 dumb penalty, and on bad nights…yeah.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Think what you want. My stance is the team is way to soft. We can play the name a player game all day long. The truth is the teams need big change in its make up.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Holy hell…what is going on in here? Philly dumping Richards for a goalie? Semin for Burrows amongst others?

Malhotra i'll give you, but for the love of god wear a shield you idiot. Lapierre and Torres on GOOD nights are a lock for 1 dumb penalty, and on bad nights…yeah.
Sounds an awful lot like Semin

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Sounds an awful lot like Semin
Best player on the ice 35% of the time.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:54 PM
txpd

Quote:
Think what you want. My stance is the team is way to soft. We can play the name a player game all day long. The truth is the teams need big change in its make up.
big change ain't coming. that much i can see.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:55 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Its kind of funny watching the same posters discredit other teams players that certainly haven't hurt their team, yet would hurt ours. Throw out some names which people instantly counter. Like ours are without fault. That all their GMs are dumb, yet ours is smart. Yet their GM is in the finals, ours is... in his 14th year, trending downwards, flat lining at best.

The team is too soft and has been largely for the past 4 years. Its nice others like you can see it. George has shown signs of addressing it - Chimera Hendricks King even Hannan, but he keeps missing.

Yeah Tex, Semin for Rypien, made your day huh.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
How do you expect someone to name these players when GMs keep them private until deals are made?

I'm convinced the anti-trade Semin fans are either fanboys or generally afraid of ambiguity and would jump right on the bandwagon of almost decent trade once it actually happened and there were new players wearing Caps sweaters.
Or they could be people like me, who realize the type of high-end scoring depth required to win a cup. Look at the players on the 2nd lines of cup winners.

Both Vancouver and Boston have Olympians on their 2nd line (Kesler, Bergeron) and when Chicago won last year, they had Hossa and Sharp on their 2nd line. Pittsburgh had Malkin on theirs. Detroit had Franzen on theirs.

Without Semin, we don't even come close to have that kind of 2nd line talent, even if you keep Laich around. We become a one-line team, and that doesn't win Cups. A 2nd line of three hard-working 15-20 goal pluggers isn't going to get you to the promise land.

Quote:

Yeah, those finalists are totally going to be selling off pieces of their team...

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote