HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Senators & Islanders Interested In Semin

Old
06-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
big change ain't coming. that much i can see.
I dunno. If management is going to absolve BB of blame and put the bulk of the responsibility on the players, I expect a good deal of personnel changes.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:05 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Yeah Tex, Semin for Rypien, made your day huh.
just think that mcphee may have missed an opportunity last off season. he might have been able to keep SDR if he had traded Semin for King. Eh?

so, actually semin if he gets traded will likely be for futures. i know there are others with a different opinion, but were he traded for futures and a player like rypien acquired was a slice of the resulting cap space, what you suggest might happen.
thats not really a wild thought.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:09 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I can't see in anyway that being enough to pry Clowe out of San Jose. He just had his best NHL season ever, was a force in the playoffs as their best forward IMO, and is signed for 2 more seasons at a very reasonable sub $4 mil cap hit. They are in the same boat as the Caps in needing to translate regular season greatness into at least a birth in the cup finals and thus if anything would want to add a similar player not subtract one.
Except that San Jose has shopped him before (he was involved in the Kaberle talks last year, for instance). Right now, his trade value is probably the highest it's been. Granted, Semin probably isn't the type of player they're looking for in return (my feeling is that they're looking for a defenseman), but it's a starting point.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:14 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
If Semin is traded, what keeps Washington from being a one-line team? We're looking at a potential UFA flight risk in Laich and Johansson on that line, who apparently is about 50/50 with regard to being a 2nd or 3rd line center.

All I hear from you is a bunch of talk and no solutions. Sure you're not required to give one, you're not in the organization, but if you're going to cry and scream and tear into people that don't want Semin gone, why don't you bring some construction with you and enlighten us idiots. I mostly don't want Semin gone because I can't think of any sort of feasible package, and known quantities like Semin aren't really the kind that you dispose of, not for substantially lesser parts and the chance to sign someone who fills a hole.

Anybody who could even hope to grow to fill Semin's spot will be almost impossible to get, especially for Semin in a swap. Anybody else likely won't be able to make anything of his spot on the 2RW, Kuznetsov is inaccessible, the general idea is that even if you want Semin gone more than anything, it needs to be done in a situation that allows the Capitals to improve. This year's laughable free agency pool doesn't really inspire confidence.
Then you haven't been around long or aren't paying attention. I stopped giving solutions because I was repeating myself and it got tiring.

You trade Semin for a top 6 forward (20+ goal scorer) and useful parts (a role player or prospect). You use the cap space to sign players like Laich and Hannan and a couple of other players that give your top 6-9 greater balance.

That way their eggs aren't all on the top 2 lines.

Also, the notion that the Caps must replace Semin's offensive production is a misnomer. They only need to replace his net positive impact. There are a number of intangibles they could find in a player who doesn't score 35 goals but 20+ that Semin clearly lacks and it would improve not only the consistency on ice but the dressing room as a whole.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:14 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Semin couldnt land him?

Ok here are some more:

Burrows
Lapierre
Horton
Rypien
Rome
Eager
Ference

Bring on all the negatives, the bonehead play the guy made that you will never forget.
Semin on a one-year deal wouldn't land Marchant.

Burrows...absolutely. The rest would be overpayment unless there were other pieces in the return. Some...like Rypien, Rome, and Ference...shouldn't even be discussed as part of a deal. It's like trading Hendricks for somebody like St. Louis.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I'm picking Florida to win the cup this year because they have the most cap space.

What other trade? What 2nd line scoring players are available for the taking? And what else would we have to trade to obtain them? And why wouldn't the team we traded Semin to go after those players?

You can't trade away a player than fill his void with a mystery player. Especially given that even if you find an available mystery player, they're not going to be free. You have to trade away more assets to get them. This is especially true given the lack of scoring wingers on the free agent market this year. There are only five total UFAs who scored 20 goals last year, and one of them is Selanne.

Oh, because having cap room means free agents jump on board and trades magically materialize? McPhee doing his job is making roster moves that don't open new holes in the roster. You're suggesting we plug one leak by unplugging another. Or in the case of trading Semin for a lesser 2nd line winger and a prospect (as you suggested), simply downgrading the roster for futures (aka, rebuilding).

Teams don't win because they have cap space, they win because they have the best team. Having flexibility under the cap helps create the best total team, yes. But the Capitals can make much simpler moves to create some more flexibility than unloading one of three most talented forwards on the team.
Don't let your (and my own) lack of knowledge of possible acquisition targets sway your judgement. That's McPhee's job. I could probably go through every team in the NHL and find at least one decent young offensive player the Caps could target (for McPhee to investigate acquiring), but it's all speculation and really a waste of time. This is like Milhaus the genious asking someone to start posting trade targets. Why waste the time, when people will just pick apart any and every single possible acquisition listed? I know how things work around here....I've been around the block as long as anyone.

A competant GM looking to trade a core player like Semin should have other trades lined up or at least some plan to fill the gaps (promotions from within, UFA, trades). Just because you and I don't know that plan, doesn't mean we should expect that McPhee wouldn't have such a plan if he were to move Semin. If he didn't....he would be incompetent.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Its kind of funny watching the same posters discredit other teams players that certainly haven't hurt their team, yet would hurt ours. Throw out some names which people instantly counter. Like ours are without fault. That all their GMs are dumb, yet ours is smart. Yet their GM is in the finals, ours is... in his 14th year, trending downwards, flat lining at best.

The team is too soft and has been largely for the past 4 years. Its nice others like you can see it. George has shown signs of addressing it - Chimera Hendricks King even Hannan, but he keeps missing.

Yeah Tex, Semin for Rypien, made your day huh.
And Randy, that's exactly why it's a waste of time to post trade proposals. It's either "whaaa it's too hard to acquire a young 20g scorer" or "Whaaa I don't like that player".

Old
06-15-2011, 02:28 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Then you haven't been around long or aren't paying attention. I stopped giving solutions because I was repeating myself and it got tiring.

You trade Semin for a top 6 forward (20+ goal scorer) and useful parts (a role player or prospect). You use the cap space to sign players like Laich and Hannan and a couple of other players that give your top 6-9 greater balance.

That way their eggs aren't all on the top 2 lines.

Also, the notion that the Caps must replace Semin's offensive production is a misnomer. They only need to replace his net positive impact. There are a number of intangibles they could find in a player who doesn't score 35 goals but 20+ that Semin clearly lacks and it would improve not only the consistency on ice but the dressing room as a whole.
But again, those are just ideas with no weight to them. You can't say "20 goal scorer" and not even begin to think about who to acquire and which teams would actually ship a young 20 goal guy out for Semin. That's when things get complicated. That's when your "trade Semin, it's that easy" policy falls apart, because if the partners just aren't there, then they aren't.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:29 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Semin for Wayne Simmonds + is the "type" of core deal I would be looking to make. Young 2nd/3rd year player with some upside and already showing some offensive talents.

Think of a player of Simmonds' ilk....young....back to back 16/14g seasons...gritty.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:37 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Semin for Wayne Simmonds + is the "type" of core deal I would be looking to make. Young 2nd/3rd year player with some upside and already showing some offensive talents.

Think of a player of Simmonds' ilk....young....back to back 16/14g seasons...gritty.
Semin for Simmonds and Clifford. Boom goes the dynamite.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 06-15-2011 at 02:54 PM.
NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:53 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Semin for Smyth and Simmonds also makes me very happy.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:03 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Semin for Smyth and Simmonds also makes me very happy.
I'm on board with trading Semin...but Smyth was the kings whipping boy all year kinda like our Schultz or Sloan.
The kings wouldn't include Simmonds in trades all year doubt it for Semin.

Honestly I know it's the players fault as well but most of it is Bruces. GMGM provided him with the personal to win a cup and Bruce got almost nothing out of them. Some coaches know how to get the absolute most out of there players (Babcock, Boucher and Trotz) some manage to get almost nothing out of them (Bruce and well err Bruce)

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
I'm on board with trading Semin...but Smyth was the kings whipping boy all year kinda like our Schultz or Sloan.

Honestly I know it's the players fault as well but most of it is Bruces. GMGM provided him with the personal to win a cup and Bruce got almost nothing out of them. Some coaches know how to get the absolute most out of there players (Babcock, Boucher and Trotz) some manage to get almost nothing out of them (Bruce and well err Bruce)
Todd McLellan and depending on tonights result Alain Vigneault?

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:07 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Semin couldnt land him?

Ok here are some more:

Burrows- Canucks wouldn't do this
Lapierre- piece of ****.. much better agitators out there
Horton- Why would Boston do this?
Rypien- Barely an NHL player
Rome-He's just not a good hockey player Canucks whipping boy
Eager- Eager for Semin are you high, Eagers an inconsistent 4th liner pretty sure we have plenty of these
Ference- A third pairing d-man ya good value there

Bring on all the negatives, the bonehead play the guy made that you will never forget.
How much hockey do you watch other than the Capitals? Because it seems like your close to clueless...

Old
06-15-2011, 04:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

So getting 30 goals out of Mike Green, 65 out of Ovechkin, etc., etc., isn't getting the most out of those players?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So getting 30 goals out of Mike Green, 65 out of Ovechkin, etc., etc., isn't getting the most out of those players?
Obviously that is... I didn't explain myself to well

I think Bruce is an excellent coach at the AHL level getting young guys to believe in themselves that's probably his biggest strength as a coach, working with young players offensively. I just don't believe he's the right guy to teach players all the little parts of the game defensively and what it takes to win. Also incase your wondering I don't hate Bruce or think he's the worst coach or anything like that. I just believe it's time for a change a new voice in the room to take them to the next level.

The first year in the playoffs they were just getting there toes wet as a young team no ones fault. The second year against the Rangers and Pittsburgh Bruce got outcoached but it wasn't really his fault we just didn't have the defensive personal to win or enough depth at forward. Against Montreal the defense was better than the previous year but still not good enough and we were carrying plenty of dead weight at forward Semi Bruces fault.

This year I really think most of the blame should be on Bruce we had all the defensive personal and more leadership and grit... Bruce just showed some of his flaws I honestly think he had all the personal to make a run this year and just couldn't put it together and seemed to be in over his head.

Old
06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
It is offensively but that don't win Cups.

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:26 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I'm not suggesting making him a featured scorer. Just getting 20 goals or so to go along with his grit and experience would be a huge plus.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:26 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
But again, those are just ideas with no weight to them. You can't say "20 goal scorer" and not even begin to think about who to acquire and which teams would actually ship a young 20 goal guy out for Semin. That's when things get complicated. That's when your "trade Semin, it's that easy" policy falls apart, because if the partners just aren't there, then they aren't.
I have a "trade Semin, it's that easy" policy? I believe I've said that it's very possible and necessary to do. That's all.

My "ideas" are based on seeing deals made by pro-active GMs including 20 goal scorers every ****ing year for the last 15 years and my basic understanding of the value that multiple 30/40 goal scorers carry regardless of character questions. They aren't weightless.

I'm not even sure what your argument is and this is tiresome. So bye.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:48 PM
HockeyTS32

I would love to trade semin away and get someone with equal value that actually works hard, but that won't likely happen because of Semin's cap hit. If he is traded it will closer to the trade deadline. Most of the teams that would want semin are the teams that don't currently have a second line wing that can carry that line. Most of the teams wouldn't have players that the caps would want.

Last edited by Langway: 06-15-2011 at 05:37 PM.
HockeyTS32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Simmonds was LA's 'whipping boy' for not having progressed as they thought he would and for over-indulging himself in the LA night life.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:52 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
all this talking about pro and contra makes me puke, u forget bruce is still the coach so it really doesnt matter if they trade semin at the end this team will choke, when mcphee decided to remain with bruce he already made the choice to lose, this season is lost. actually they could trade semin for some talent with average contracts who will be ready after boudreau is gone(or do nothing and resign semin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTS32 View Post
If he is traded it will closer to the trade deadline. Most of the teams that would want semin are the teams that don't currently have a second line wing that can carry that line.
you mean by that time the caps would be out of the playoff hunt ? ^^

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 06:32 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
How much hockey do you watch other than the Capitals? Because it seems like your close to clueless...
Close to none. The nuNHL is too boring to me so its Caps or bust.

Are the GM's dumb for wanting and retaining those guys, and the coaches using those players you find fault with. Yet most are in the finals, and you are finding fault with them to the bitter end. Did you think I am proposing trading Semin for them? I am not. The same points get argued in every thread. Dont be deceived by the extreme low number of active threads here.

Regardless, some seem to imply what we get for Semin is close to meaningless, or at least hard to pinpoint; the biggest return is the huge 7M cap space.

Instead of bashing, give us a name. The new theme around here. Who are the players we need to put us over the top.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:10 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
I think the Capitals have a lot of room to play with.

Semin, Green, and Holtby could be used to getting a better core, and possibly trying to get Jagr back to the NHL(I highly doubt he wants to play with Crosby).

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
I think the Capitals have a lot of room to play with.

Semin, Green, and Holtby could be used to getting a better core, and possibly trying to get Jagr back to the NHL(I highly doubt he wants to play with Crosby).
Suggesting Semin fine. I want him here but part of that is because he's not tied up long term and he seems to want to stay for as long as we'll have him. Green, fine we're already dealing with a surplus of Right handed puck movers on defenese. Holtby though? HOW DARE YOU!

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote