HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

A case for BOB

Old
06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
im sure BSH is hoping we have a tandem of Boucher and Bobrovsky again.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:47 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Did you just watch White Collar?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Jester

Bryz never should have been option A for us... no need to jump the gun like this either. I just don't believe Vokoun is necessarily re-signing in FLA (if he is, why hasn't he done so already?). If we didn't have Bob in house, then I would have zero problem with the Bryz thought process... but we do. Whether Bob can develop into a top flight guy remains to be seen, but going down this route with Bryz pretty much assures that whatever Bob becomes won't be here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Maybe the organization sees the window closing for this group to win in the next year or 2 and Bobrovsky not being quite ready to be "the guy". I dont mind having Bryzgalov actually, I just dont want a 5 plus year deal which is what we are going to get.
I dont know what the situation is with Vokoun. There maybe something going on that we dont know about.

EDIT: But like I said before, we shouldnt be in this situation, Holmgren had the resources and cash to get the goaltender last offseason but decided to sign Shelley, trade for Matt Walker and re-sign Leighton the day before FA started instead. I dont trust Holmgren is going to do the logical thing. He is going to do something really stupid. either with this, or later in the offseason.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:12 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I'm sure Timonen doesn't.....and frankly I don't blame him.

Pretty ludicrous IMO to attempt another year of goalie tryouts. Having said this if Flyers can't nab one of either Bryzgalov or Vokoun (if indeed available) then I'm pretty certain it will be another year of musical goalies and I wouldn't be surprised if Timonen just says eff this noise. Remember that in his meeting with Holmgren he didn't exactly mince words apparently...I'm sure the topic of goaltending was discussed and maybe even some locker room stuff. It was evident he wasn't too happy at the end of the season..I wouldn't be if I was his age and not having won a cup yet with the window closing pretty quick...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:22 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Maybe the organization sees the window closing for this group to win in the next year or 2 and Bobrovsky not being quite ready to be "the guy". I dont mind having Bryzgalov actually, I just dont want a 5 plus year deal which is what we are going to get.
I dont know what the situation is with Vokoun. There maybe something going on that we dont know about.

EDIT: But like I said before, we shouldnt be in this situation, Holmgren had the resources and cash to get the goaltender last offseason but decided to sign Shelley, trade for Matt Walker and re-sign Leighton the day before FA started instead. I dont trust Holmgren is going to do the logical thing. He is going to do something really stupid. either with this, or later in the offseason.
ive got to disagree. I think bryz this year is a much better option than turco last year.

like LEAPS and BOUNDS better imo

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:55 PM
mirimon

Quote:

I think last year's solution would have been a stop-gap kind of thing even if we would have ended up with Mason or Turco or someone else. We would still have been trying to acquire one of Bryzgalov or Vokoun this year, though perhaps without being this desperate about it.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:00 PM
tsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Bob played exactly 60 games last year. He is no longer waiver exempt.
I think you misunderstood, I meant during the offseason. He wouldn't have to go through waivers during the offseason (waivers begins 12 days prior to the opening of the season). If the team sends Bob down now, goes with Bryz/Boucher for the year and lets Bob get a season in the AHL, I think they could get a better feel for his future with the team. Rask and Schneider definitely don't seem to be harmed by their position behind their respective starters, and they spent time in the AHL as well.

tsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Fulton44*

History should teach people lessons.

Can someone tell me what happened the last time the Flyers chose to sign a UFA goalie in their mid 30's who wanted less years and was a little bit cheaper than a goalie in their early 30's?

Fulton44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
History should teach people lessons.

Can someone tell me what happened the last time the Flyers chose to sign a UFA goalie in their mid 30's who wanted less years and was a little bit cheaper than a goalie in their early 30's?
Yeah because Beezer and Vokoun are the exact same goalie. You know, since one had .899 SV% the year before he hit free agency and one had a .922 SV%.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:37 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquad View Post
I think you misunderstood, I meant during the offseason. He wouldn't have to go through waivers during the offseason (waivers begins 12 days prior to the opening of the season). If the team sends Bob down now, goes with Bryz/Boucher for the year and lets Bob get a season in the AHL, I think they could get a better feel for his future with the team. Rask and Schneider definitely don't seem to be harmed by their position behind their respective starters, and they spent time in the AHL as well.
No. I think you misunderstood the CBA. You can't send someone who is not exempt down during the offseason.

Quote:
13.4 Waiver Draft/Regular Season Waivers. With the exception
of those exempt Players set forth below, Players party to Player
Contract must be cleared through the waiver draft and/or regular
season waivers prior to being assigned to a minor league Club:

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Anything over 5 is an overpayment for an unproven playoff goalie.

So i want Bryz to go, because he never sign under 5....

Take Vokoun at 4 - 4.5 and go your way to the final!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:35 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post

the only way you could sign vokoun that low is with a front-loaded contract (which we wouldnt want him to finish)

we will most likely do the same with bryz (and he will make even more, because for the last 2 or 3 years he will likely go back to russia and make $$$ in the KHL)

also, on a personal note: I think bryz > vokoun
i think bryz could work well with BOB

AND that 1 mil difference in the contracts vokoun/bryz would probably get is insignificant in the scheme of things. (and bryz was probably easier to acquire so it evens out)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:50 AM
tsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
No. I think you misunderstood the CBA. You can't send someone who is not exempt down during the offseason.
I'm not sure what the waiver draft is, but I'll figure it out.

tsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:04 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquad View Post
I'm not sure what the waiver draft is, but I'll figure it out.
Ehh, The Waiver Draft was this old scheme that allowed teams to only protect so many players each year, this was a bad attempt at spreading out the talent.

With the salary cap, they don't really do it anymore.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:12 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post

God I love the "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

You're clearly just unfamiliar with Bryzgalov.

Playoff stats before this year:

09-10 .906 3.43
06-07 .922 2.25
05-06 .944 1.46

No one is denying he had a BAD playoffs this year. But stop jumping to conclusions. Prior to this year his cumulative playoff stats were a .925 SV% with a 2.38 GAA over 23 Games.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote