HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One year ago today...

Old
06-09-2011, 09:42 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 500
One year ago today...

I was downstairs watching with my dad and cousin...all I remember is a lot of jumping and yelling. And when I was six my grade one teacher gave me this little three inch high Stanley Cup and I always said that I'd wait until the Hawks won to lift it, so I have this ridiculous picture of me with a grizzly-like playoff beard kissing this minuscule replica.

Can't wait to do it again next year

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post

I was downstairs watching with my dad and cousin...all I remember is a lot of jumping and yelling. And when I was six my grade one teacher gave me this little three inch high Stanley Cup and I always said that I'd wait until the Hawks won to lift it, so I have this ridiculous picture of me with a grizzly-like playoff beard kissing this minuscule replica.

Can't wait to do it again next year

great, really great. need to see a Picture

Last edited by Bubba88: 06-09-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:56 AM
BlackhawkGuugeli

Ahh.. Those were the times! I was watching the game with 3 friends. All of them were Flyers fans because of Leino and Timonen. When Kane scored THE goal I started cheering like a madman and my friends just told me to shut up because they weren't sure if it was really in. When it was finally official they all left outside because they couldn't stand me.

Next year we have only one goal. BTW I also want to see the picture!

BlackhawkGuugeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Illinihockey

I watched the first 2 and a half periods at home with my wife but was so nervous I inexplicably left and went over to Buffalo Wild Wings and watched the end of the game there with my mom and sister. Biggest regret I have was ditching my wife who is not a huge hockey fan, but watched all of the games with me then I bounced on her right at the very end.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:21 AM
nbozich22

Woke up today and just thought about that day for a good 20 minutes ... I'm gonna watch the replay of the game tonight.

I remember my whole family was watching the game and there were a few minutes left and we were up by 1 and my dad jumped the gun and brought down the champagne ...I got so pissed at him saying he's gonna jynx it.. Sure enough they get a sloppy goal off of hossas skate so I threw the bottle at the wall.. Went to OT and the rest was history obviously. I don't remember even going nuts when Kane scored ..just a couple of tears and the biggest smile on my face..

We'll get em next season

nbozich22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:25 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Amazing it has already been a year. Jeez I'm getting old.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Anyone else still get goosebumps, just reading about the reaction of others? I sure do.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
icekoob

Lucky enough to have a gf into hockey almost as much as I. Our celebration was about as awkward as the players, though. Didn't see that thing go in.

Still gives me goosebumps. Really sad it's over. That whole summer was great. Anyone else attend the parade? Also a great time.

icekoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekoob View Post
Lucky enough to have a gf into hockey almost as much as I. Our celebration was about as awkward as the players, though. Didn't see that thing go in.

Still gives me goosebumps. Really sad it's over. That whole summer was great. Anyone else attend the parade? Also a great time.
Same here. I watched the game at my apartment with my girlfriend, my roommate and his lady friend... we were all standing up staring at the tv and then when Kane started throwing his gloves and stick and jumping around, that's when we knew.

I went to the parade, I remember it being so ridiculously hot that I had to take off my jersey because I was afraid of getting heat stroke. After the buses passed by, we started running after it and pushed our way through the crowd to the front.

It was a lot of fun, that's for sure... but man was it hot out.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:39 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Watched it with my pregnant girlfriend, and seven of my friends. As soon as Kane started celebrating, I went nuts. My friend John asked "Is it in?" I said "I think so! Kane certainly thinks so!" and then the entire bench mobbed Kane. We started popping bottles of champaign, went to Durbins, and ended the night at Brewbakers.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I remember it like it was yesterday. Watched it with my dad, had a smile on the face the next 88 hours and 1 hour after the Goal I had to go to work

no drinking -.-

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Section331

I had spent the whole night before dreaming that the game was happening. Dreaming that we won or didn't win and I was driving myself nuts. I couldn't think straight at work the whole day. In the third period of the game I think I stood up and sat down in the same spot about 500 times. When it finally went in I remember saying "It's in! No it's not, yes it Is, no it's not" then crying when it was. My husband just walked around our Hawk den with his arms raised and not saying anything, then let our a roar that scared the beejeesus out of me.

Ahhh...memories!

Section331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Blue Liner

I was living in Phoenix still and neck deep in the middle of paramedic school and work this time last year and it was literally impossible for me to leave town to get here for any of the Finals. It killed me to not be here not only because I still had/have season tickets and couldn't go to the games, but couldn't be here in the city just to soak up the atmosphere and celebrate with friends.

The upside was my dad and stepmom had just retired and moved out to Phoenix that April so I got to sit on the couch with a beer and share the Cup win with the man responsible for making me a hockey player, fan, and a Blackhawks fan. Been going to games with him since I was too young to even remember and he's the reason hockey is and has been such a big part of my life. As bummed as I was to not be here in Chicago for it, sharing that with him took a lot of the sting away. I'll never forget it. Besides, with this core in place I know that won't be the last Cup I get to celebrate anytime soon.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:23 PM
wsoxfan1214

Hah. Christ, it doesn't feel like a year ago..

wsoxfan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Sloid

Goose bumps reading this thread, tears when they won.

Sloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:44 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
I was sitting in my room watching the game by myself, saw Kane shoot the puck along the boards and was very confused. Doc's call didn't help at all.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:00 PM
chihawkswi

I knew this day had some significance! I just couldn't think of what is was.

I've already planned to watch those short NHL highlight videos of Game's 1 through 5, and then pop in the DVD of Game 6 tonight.

It's something about your team winning a championship. It's only happened twice for me since I've been old enough to understand. Both within the past year. I remember moment for moment everything that happened both of those days from morning until night. I know you guys aren't interested in one of those stories, but here's the Blackhawks one.

During the day I remember watching NHL network. I also re-watched Game 1 (which was my favorite of the series up to that point). That was a great back and forth game. At night I was watching with a friend, who was all but certain that after the Flyers scored late in the 3rd period, the series was coming back to Chicago for Game 7. When the Patrick Kane's goal happened, there was about 10 seconds of silence and confusion. Followed by cautioned celebration. When NBC finally showed the puck going in on the replay, the real celebration followed.

chihawkswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
ah, the memories.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Cullksinikers

I cried in front of my friends and hugged my dad and celebrated. That is the best day of my life. I cried when the Packers won Super Bowl XLV in February, but that's the first championship I ever saw a team of mine win. It was sweet, it was epic, it was a relief. It was a happy time. It doesn't feel like a year. I remember going to the parade and dancing all over the streets like an idiot. I didn't care, though. 1,999,999 other people were doing the same thing.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:15 PM
matula9604

Was up late Tuesday night the 8th packing for a trip to Miami with my wife. Decided to head to bed around 2 AM the morning of the 9th had work to work at 8. I think I got about 20 mins of sleep before my wife woke me up saying " there is no way you should miss the chance to see the Hawks carry the cup." If the series had went to a game 7 in Chicago we would of been in Miami. She told me she found 4 tickets online and bought them. She called 2 other people who jumped at the chance to go, it is now 3am Chicago time and I am now packing the car for the 12 hour drive to Philly for the game. Called the boss told him I need the day off and he was happy to give it to me. Of course it rained the whole way there, we finally got into Philly around an hour before the game. The tickets were split up in 2 spots in the upper deck. My wife and I got lucky and made it in the section where they made a mock press row, which happened to be directly behind where Kane shot the winner.

As a life long Hawk fan I was wearing my Hawks jersey and being my usual loud self. The game started great for the hawks and the flyer fans let me have it with every word I said. Beers and other junk flew are way as the game went on. It was nice of the Flyers to hand out those orange t-shirts that day, they made great rags. Fast forward to the 3rd, my wife made friends with a new reporter and after the reporter went down to the locker room with 5 mins to go, she lets us have her 2 seats a bit closer which also had a small 10 inch installed in front of it. We all know then what happens flyers score and the place go nuts, as loud as a game as I heard in person since the 91 all-star game at the stadium. At this point all I can think is this will be the worst 12 hour drive home if they lose in OT, on top of the we have a flight to catch Thursday afternoon and have to speed home. Well OT starts and I am on the edge of my seat. The puck rounds around the boards to Campbell, quick pass to Kane , head fake, shot, its in. I knew right away having the TV in front of me and where we were sitting. I begin to jump up and yell as the flyers fans yell and toss beer at me. In my best Johnny Drama voice I yell "VICTORY", my wife is now afraid fro our lives as no one knows what happened yet, slowly it dawned on them its over , maybe next year. At this point we were soaked by beer and proceeded to use the orange t-shirts to wipe down, We quickly moved down to the lower level, we have a mutual friend of a Chicago news reporters who got us into the lower level for the skate around. Stayed about an hour after the game then made the happiest 12 hour drive of my life home, all the time listing to the wideman call over my phone and watching JR on YouTube.

matula9604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Cullksinikers

I'm thinking about watching my celebration. We had the video camera rolling in the kitchen videotaping my dad and my two buddies in the living room. It has me freaking out when Hartnell tied it and asking why we couldn't hold the lead near the end to win the Cup and me knowing the puck was in right away and crying and hugging everyone. What a glorious, glorious evening. We'll go nuts again soon.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:23 PM
madgoat33

I watched it over at a friends house and after kane's shot I jumped out of my chair and started celebrating because I didn't see the puck rebound out. everyone looked at me like I was stupid for like 2-3 seconds until they realized it was in

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:38 PM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

One of my last good memories about Chicago. I still have pictures of me an my friends celebrating taken from someone's crappy cellphone

RedBaronIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:42 PM
BlackHawkeye*

Quote:
Originally Posted by matula9604 View Post
Was up late Tuesday night the 8th packing for a trip to Miami with my wife. Decided to head to bed around 2 AM the morning of the 9th had work to work at 8. I think I got about 20 mins of sleep before my wife woke me up saying " there is no way you should miss the chance to see the Hawks carry the cup." If the series had went to a game 7 in Chicago we would of been in Miami. She told me she found 4 tickets online and bought them. She called 2 other people who jumped at the chance to go, it is now 3am Chicago time and I am now packing the car for the 12 hour drive to Philly for the game. Called the boss told him I need the day off and he was happy to give it to me. Of course it rained the whole way there, we finally got into Philly around an hour before the game. The tickets were split up in 2 spots in the upper deck. My wife and I got lucky and made it in the section where they made a mock press row, which happened to be directly behind where Kane shot the winner.

As a life long Hawk fan I was wearing my Hawks jersey and being my usual loud self. The game started great for the hawks and the flyer fans let me have it with every word I said. Beers and other junk flew are way as the game went on. It was nice of the Flyers to hand out those orange t-shirts that day, they made great rags. Fast forward to the 3rd, my wife made friends with a new reporter and after the reporter went down to the locker room with 5 mins to go, she lets us have her 2 seats a bit closer which also had a small 10 inch installed in front of it. We all know then what happens flyers score and the place go nuts, as loud as a game as I heard in person since the 91 all-star game at the stadium. At this point all I can think is this will be the worst 12 hour drive home if they lose in OT, on top of the we have a flight to catch Thursday afternoon and have to speed home. Well OT starts and I am on the edge of my seat. The puck rounds around the boards to Campbell, quick pass to Kane , head fake, shot, its in. I knew right away having the TV in front of me and where we were sitting. I begin to jump up and yell as the flyers fans yell and toss beer at me. In my best Johnny Drama voice I yell "VICTORY", my wife is now afraid fro our lives as no one knows what happened yet, slowly it dawned on them its over , maybe next year. At this point we were soaked by beer and proceeded to use the orange t-shirts to wipe down, We quickly moved down to the lower level, we have a mutual friend of a Chicago news reporters who got us into the lower level for the skate around. Stayed about an hour after the game then made the happiest 12 hour drive of my life home, all the time listing to the wideman call over my phone and watching JR on YouTube.
Awesome.

Welcome.

BlackHawkeye* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:03 AM
YKYW
Messier 2.0

Thanks for posting this, its a great reminder with all these loud mouth Canucks fans running around here.

Looking forward to meeting them again next year in the playoffs and restarting the haunting of the Canucks!

YKYW is online now   Reply With Quote