Sat next to Aaron Ward on a flight to Raleigh today

Old
06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
SpeedyLazaro

vCash: 500
Sat next to Aaron Ward on a flight to Raleigh today

nice guy.. was more than happy to have a quick chat

I asked him why he wasn't going to Vancouver.. he replies

"I am.. they literally just told me that I had to go to Vancouver so I'm flying home to get a suit"

When asked who is going to win tomorrow

"It all comes down to one guy"

Robby LolLuongo

SpeedyLazaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyLazaro View Post
nice guy.. was more than happy to have a quick chat

I asked him why he wasn't going to Vancouver.. he replies

"I am.. they literally just told me that I had to go to Vancouver so I'm flying home to get a suit"

When asked who is going to win tomorrow

"It all comes down to one guy"

Robby LolLuongo
That's awesome. I enjoy him.

Flying home to get a suit? Should have just gone to Men's Warehouse with Felger and picked up a spare. Two suits for the price of one, brands you can't talk about.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
bruinsfan1970
Global Moderator
B's R always Champs!

Very classy guy I was lucky enough to hold his Cup ring with the wings it was cool and he was easy to talk with.

bruinsfan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Hamilton Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post

Flying home to get a suit? Should have just gone to Men's Warehouse with Felger and picked up a spare. Two suits for the price of one, brands you can't talk about.

Certainly, he was hoping he could snare a 1 game contract with Boston. Could have gotten a hardhat at Mark's Work Wearhouse.

Which, btw...has become my men's clothes shop of choice since I hit 37. Sorry. I am, one. of. those. guys.

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:39 PM
SpeedyLazaro

we were leaving the plane and I said "safe travels" a couple times and kept walking, but he walked with me and chatted for a few minutes.. usually I expect athletes to keep the convo short and informal and scurry off...

I asked where I should watch the game in Raleigh and he gave a couple recommendations

SpeedyLazaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Nice, always liked Wardo. Should have asked Cherry for a suit

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Hamilton Brian

Quote:
we were leaving the plane and I said "safe travels" a couple times and kept walking, but he walked with me and chatted for a few minutes.. usually I expect athletes to keep the convo short and informal and scurry off...

I asked where I should watch the game in Raleigh and he gave a couple recommendations
Nice; my mom has season tix to the Canes, and I taught down in the area when the Bs and Canes had that epic series in 99. Long drives back from Greensboro. Turned her back into a hockey fan. Remember the Monday (I think) it was reported Steve Chiasson had died.

Thought we had a super team back then, and pissed that Buffalo beat us. I think we could have killed Dallas.

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
bruinsfan1970
Global Moderator
B's R always Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Nice, always liked Wardo. Should have asked Cherry for a suit
I have lost all respect for Cherry and I won't watch coaches corner again.

bruinsfan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

I was always a fan of Ward's.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

Oh no, Ward wouldn't get caught dead in a Men's Warehouse. Designer suits all the way.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Bear Pride

How could anyone not love the guy? Ward was a Bruin, through and through.

Bear Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:45 PM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
Quote:

Had a similar experience with P.J Stock. Meet him in Rocko's Hardware in Andover MA. Went the way you'd think, "Hey, are you P.J Stock", niceties exchanged, then I left him alone, he was with a girl. We both checked out about the same time at different registers and once in the parking lot he initiated conversation again, "where you guys working... yada yada". It was almost weird.

Last thing he said was "Go terrorize Billy Guerin" he lived on the same street I was working on. LOL.

I wonder if they welcome talking with people who aren't in the public eye in any way shape or form. You know, the little people.

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
Had a similar experience with P.J Stock. Meet him in Rocko's Hardware in Andover MA. Went the way you'd think, "Hey, are you P.J Stock", niceties exchanged, then I left him alone, he was with a girl. We both checked out about the same time at different registers and once in the parking lot he initiated conversation again, "where you guys working... yada yada". It was almost weird.

Last thing he said was "Go terrorize Billy Guerin" he lived on the same street I was working on. LOL.

I wonder if they welcome talking with people who aren't in the public eye in any way shape or form. You know, the little people.
Hockey players are a different breed. You'd never see that from a basketball player, or most football and baseball players, but I fully expect it from a majority of hockey players.

I got to speak with Shawn Thornton for a couple minutes a few months ago, and he was genuinely interested in what I had to say, really struck me as cool.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
AK37

Send a message via ICQ to AK37 Send a message via AIM to AK37
I was on a plane for business a couple years ago coming home to RI from Austin, TX and The Undertaker walks on the plane - the guy was gigantic. He was very nice and told the flight attendants to just make an announcement that if anyone wanted an autograph or a picture to just come up in orderly fashion and not crowd the aisle. I couldn't care less about wrestling but thought it was pretty cool and I just said hi and shook his hand because he was right in front of me.

When I was a kid I liked wrestling.....so this was during the whole Hulk hogan vs. Zeus feud in the 80's and we see Hogan and Zeus eating lunch together in the airport with Mr. Fuji. I was probably 9 years old and I start freaking saying "Dad...oh my god....they are gonna fight...they're gonna fight!!!!" and that's when my dad broke the news that wrestling was fake.

I also met Marcus Allen in the airport and he was the absolute biggest P.O.S d-bag I have ever met........I had to bite my tongue from calling him an a-hole.

AK37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK37 View Post
I also met Marcus Allen in the airport and he was the absolute biggest P.O.S d-bag I have ever met........I had to bite my tongue from calling him an a-hole.
See my post above, point proven.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:00 AM
AK37

Send a message via ICQ to AK37 Send a message via AIM to AK37
Rasheed Wallace came into a local bar in RI a couple years ago when he was with the Celtics during training camp in Newport, RI.......I went up there because my friend was bartending. My buddy bought Wallace and some thug he was with a round of drinks - they never said thanks, never offered to buy him one drink and they drank for hours and left the waitress a $2 tip when they had over $100 in drinks. Here's a guy who has had to have made over $100 million and he tips some poor girl $2

That guy can drop dead and I wouldn't blink.......total scum_bag

AK37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:12 AM
nonoffensiveusername

I love seeing more reasons why hockey players are awesome (excluding a few, like Patrick Kane) and most other sports are populated by dbags. (Although I do know someone that had a really bad experience in the service industry with a current Bruin.)

Last edited by nonoffensiveusername: 06-15-2011 at 12:33 AM.
nonoffensiveusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Alicat
Charge!

I have had hockey players pay for my drinks before.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoffensiveusername View Post
I love seeing more reasons why hockey players are awesome (excluding a few, like Patrick Kane) and most other sports are populated by dbags.
Like I said, hockey players and fans are a completely different breed. There's dbag athletes in every sport, but football and basketball especially are filled to the brim with them. I literally have met ONE football player who I didn't want to punch square in the jaw for being a *****, and that was Vince Wilfork (haven't met Welker, Brady, etc). Vince is the nicest guy.

Basketball? Not a chance. That Rasheed storyreally feels like common place with basketball stars. I know LeBron did something similar a few years back. Had like a 5k bill and left $50 or something.

Baseball really depends on the team and the player. Forget pitchers they are freaks. Pedroia, Youk and Ortiz are nice. Nomar was a *****.

I hate bothering athletes when they are out, but with hockey players, you really don't feel bad saying something nice to them and going on your way, they usually will continue to talk with you.

Old
06-15-2011, 06:27 AM
ODAAT

Roberto Red Light tonight!!

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:56 AM
beaverjc

I brought my son to his first Bruins game and we were down at the glass watching the warmups - as they were about finished I pointed over to a puck to see if I could get one for my son. As they were about to exit the ice I caught Aaron Wards attention - he skated over to the corner and picked up a puck and brought it over to my son. Sure its not a big deal but it was a huge deal to my son (who still has the puck) and it told me all I needed to know about Aaron Ward - class act.

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Waltah*

Quote:

he's gunna like the way he looks

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:07 AM
sooshii
Living the dream

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post

I heard PJ on the radio talking fondly about being in Boston for game 6. He seemed to appreciate being recognized and chatting up the locals.

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Joseph LaMonica

Send a message via AIM to Joseph LaMonica
Wardo was my favorite player when he was a Bruin. Always a class act and it was clear he'd have a career in broadcasting... I was hoping it'd be with NESN.

Joseph LaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:19 AM
missingchicklet

Met Zdeno on several occasions since I used to live near him earlier in his career. He's a very warmhearted guy and genuinely nice. Never saw him act like a jerk at all. He's not a big talker, but he won't ignore you either from what I have seen.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote