HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Openly Gay NHL PLayers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2011, 09:06 PM
  #1
Ignoramus*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Openly Gay NHL PLayers

Have any current or former players burst out of the closet or been outed by media? I can't think of a single example, which is pretty weird when you consider, by sheer odds, that there must be many gay hockey players (past and present).

Not interested in rumours or speculation; just confirmed outings.

Ignoramus* is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:09 PM
  #2
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,401
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
Have any current or former players burst out of the closet or been outed by media? I can't think of a single example, which is pretty weird when you consider, by sheer odds, that there must be many gay hockey players (past and present).

Not interested in rumours or speculation; just confirmed outings.
A reporter would never get work in the sports media again if he/she ever outed a player without consent. Their are gay people in every sport, but it's a macho place so it's tough for them to be open about it, especially in a team sport where chemistry is everything. And if a reporter ever did something like that, no player would ever trust them enough to open their mouth around them.


As for your question though. No there are not any or has there been any active NHL player who has come out of the closet.

molsonmuscle360 is online now  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:10 PM
  #3
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
 
Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Side
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
I was born and raised in Chicago and still live there to this day... however, I frequent Detroit during the holidays and summers and such (my girlfriend is from there). Whenever people have given me crap about wearing something Blackhawks related, I tell them that I was at a hotel party in Chicago and saw (insert Detroit player) making out with another guy in the bathroom while they were in town.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... but it usually throws them off.

So if someone hears a rumor about a DRW player making out with another guy at a hotel party in Chicago... don't take it serious.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
  #4
El_Loco_Avs
Registered User
 
El_Loco_Avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
I was born and raised in Chicago and still live there to this day... however, I frequent Detroit during the holidays and summers and such (my girlfriend is from there). Whenever people have given me crap about wearing something Blackhawks related, I tell them that I was at a hotel party in Chicago and saw (insert Detroit player) making out with another guy in the bathroom while they were in town.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... but it usually throws them off.

So if someone hears a rumor about a DRW player making out with another guy at a hotel party in Chicago... don't take it serious.

Dude. There are rules! This is hockey, not 'Nam!

El_Loco_Avs is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
  #5
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
 
Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Side
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
Dude. There are rules! This is hockey, not 'Nam!
Nailed it!

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
  #6
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
I don't think you can go by sheer "statistical probabilities" when suspecting that there must be gay men in the NHL. It'd be kinda like expecting a track team to have the same ratio of type-2 diabetes as the rest of North America, or whatever. If you're naturally predisposed to certain things (or even if you make certain conscious decisions), there are simply paths through life that you're unlikely to take. Without going to far into stereotype land, it might be possible that you wouldn't get involved seriously enough to put in the effort it takes to get to the top level of a violent contact sport if you were, in fact, gay. I'm not, so I have no idea if that's even a widely applicable hypothesis.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:16 PM
  #7
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,260
vCash: 500
Theres never been an NHL player ever come out, whether it be retired or currently playing.

Doubt it will ever happen either. Homosexuality is attacked constantly in minor hockey, so it's supressed to the point no one will ever come out, or there is none because they quit due to potential extreme and possibly violent teasing.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:18 PM
  #8
Ozamataz Buckshank
Registered User
 
Ozamataz Buckshank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 3,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I don't think you can go by sheer "statistical probabilities" when suspecting that there must be gay men in the NHL. It'd be kinda like expecting a track team to have the same ratio of type-2 diabetes as the rest of North America, or whatever. If you're naturally predisposed to certain things, there are simply paths through life that you're unlikely to take. Without going to far into stereotype land, it might be possible that you wouldn't get involved seriously enough to put in the effort it takes to get to the top level of a violent contact sport if you were, in fact, gay. I'm not, so I have no idea if that's even a widely applicable hypothesis.
Wow this is an incredibly offensive post.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:18 PM
  #9
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
This crap again?

Someone should start a thread on the number of gay, Jewish, left- wingers from Nova Scotia that have Corsi ratings over 10.

Ogopogo* is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:19 PM
  #10
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
Wow this is an incredibly offensive post.
If it's ignorant, I'll apologize, but there's certainly no offense meant.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:19 PM
  #11
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
 
Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Side
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
This crap again?

Someone should start a thread on the number of gay, Jewish, left- wingers from Nova Scotia that have Corsi ratings over 10.
How many of those do you think there are?

Yes, I said 'those'.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:21 PM
  #12
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,894
vCash: 500
This is going nowhere fast.

ShawnTHW is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:22 PM
  #13
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
 
Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Side
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
This thread has been made at least 3 times in the past 6 months. They all turned out to go nowhere and was a little racy. IIRC, one was even locked.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:23 PM
  #14
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة
 
Bravid Nonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: أور
Country: Syria
Posts: 10,243
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
Wow this is an incredibly offensive post.
No, it isn't.

Bravid Nonahan is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:24 PM
  #15
ales83fan
Registered User
 
ales83fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
The ratios for stuff like this is different. Different people have different interest. This is true of all types of categories, including gay/straight differences. It seems to me that there would be a lesser percentage of gay athletes than other careers. For example, I can see a higher ratio of designers be gay than athletes not because they should, but because this is something that interests them more.....But I don't want to sound discriminatory. Hmmmmm.

I guess I can speak for myself, that way I'm not alienating anyone.

1. I'm a Eastern European male. Soccer is a big deal where I come from, so when it comes to activities you'd expect a man in our country to engage in, the statistics for soccer participation would be higher than let's say Canada, since that is not as common an interest. All I'm saying is that percentages in different activities depend on certain things, and are not random.

ales83fan is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:25 PM
  #16
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Theres never been an NHL player ever come out, whether it be retired or currently playing.

Doubt it will ever happen either. Homosexuality is attacked constantly in minor hockey, so it's supressed to the point no one will ever come out, or there is none because they quit due to potential extreme and possibly violent teasing.
I disagree. I've said before that there are two types of players who can come out.

The first is a superstar. They're used to being protected, and teammates are used to protecting them on the ice. Someone who goes too far as it currently stands would be kept honest, so there wouldn't be much concern.

The second is a goalie, for much the same reason.

What I doubt will be seen is a fourth-liner, for the simple reason that when someone is hanging onto their NHL careers, they're not going to take the risk that there might be something that negatively impacts how they're viewed in the front office.

Palinka is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:25 PM
  #17
ales83fan
Registered User
 
ales83fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
Wow this is an incredibly offensive post.
He says he's not sure and just made an assumption. Why is it offensive?

ales83fan is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
  #18
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,503
vCash: 500
Such an easy thing to google... the answer is no, which to me is kinda obvious.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
  #19
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
I disagree. I've said before that there are two types of players who can come out.

The first is a superstar. They're used to being protected, and teammates are used to protecting them on the ice. Someone who goes too far as it currently stands would be kept honest, so there wouldn't be much concern.

The second is a goalie, for much the same reason.

What I doubt will be seen is a fourth-liner, for the simple reason that when someone is hanging onto their NHL careers, they're not going to take the risk that there might be something that negatively impacts how they're viewed in the front office.

HTFN is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
  #20
Ignoramus*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
The ratios for stuff like this is different. Different people have different interest. This is true of all types of categories, including gay/straight differences. It seems to me that there would be a lesser percentage of gay athletes than other careers. For example, I can see a higher ratio of designers be gay than athletes not because they should, but because this is something that interests them more.....But I don't want to sound discriminatory. Hmmmmm.

I guess I can speak for myself, that way I'm not alienating anyone.

1. I'm a Eastern European male. Soccer is a big deal where I come from, so when it comes to activities you'd expect a man in our country to engage in, the statistics for soccer participation would be higher than let's say Canada, since that is not as common an interest. All I'm saying is that percentages in different activities depend on certain things, and are not random.
Which is fine. I'm sure that homosexuality if far more common in fashion design or hairdressing than in pro sports. But when you consider the sheer number of men who've played NHL hockey in the 90+ years that the league has existed, there's gotta a sizeable number of gays who've played NHL hockey at some point.

Ignoramus* is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:32 PM
  #21
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner
 
That Stepan Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Can't think of any.

That Stepan Guy is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:33 PM
  #22
ales83fan
Registered User
 
ales83fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
Which is fine. I'm sure that homosexuality if far more common in fashion design or hairdressing than in pro sports. But when you consider the sheer number of men who've played NHL hockey in the 90+ years that the league has existed, there's gotta be some a sizeable number of gays who've played NHL hockey at some point.
You're probably right. To answer your question, none that the public knows about.

ales83fan is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:34 PM
  #23
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
Wow this is an incredibly offensive post.
How? He said he didn't know if it was right or not, and it is true that the average man is not as "manly" and testosterone filled as the average NHLer. I think its logical that the percentage in the NHL would be at least some amount lower than the North American percentage. Is it impossible for a homosexual man to make the NHL? Hell no. Not in any way, shape, or form. There has definitely been one and while its impossible to say there currently are, its highly highly highly likely. Still, you can't deny the fact that a homosexual NHLer is likely more rough and tumble than the average N.A male, and generally (of COURSE not always or close to always), a straight man will be more sporty and tough and, well, manly, than a gay man. I know gay people who are not effeminate at all and I know some who are very effeminate, there is a spectrum, but it is more widely "travelled" amongst gay men. Nothin' wrong with that whatsoever.

Sorry if this is going OT, I don't know what else we'd talk about in such a thread, though.

wubwubwubwub is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:34 PM
  #24
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
Which is fine. I'm sure that homosexuality if far more common in fashion design or hairdressing than in pro sports. But when you consider the sheer number of men who've played NHL hockey in the 90+ years that the league has existed, there's gotta a sizeable number of gays who've played NHL hockey at some point.
Well, I agree that we should expect the number to be greater than 0, but I have no idea how you'd even reckon a ballpark number that you'd "expect".

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
  #25
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,401
vCash: 50
I honestly wouldn't be surprised though if when the time comes that an active professional athlete of the major 4 sports in North America comes out of the closet it will be from the NHL in my opinion. Overall the player base is a lot more progressive then in most sports. I would imagine with the machismo in a basketball locker room it would destroy team chemistry. But hockey players seem to be a lot less concerned about how macho they look then other athletes.

molsonmuscle360 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.