HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Openly Gay NHL PLayers

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Ignoramus*

vCash: 500
Openly Gay NHL PLayers

Have any current or former players burst out of the closet or been outed by media? I can't think of a single example, which is pretty weird when you consider, by sheer odds, that there must be many gay hockey players (past and present).

Not interested in rumours or speculation; just confirmed outings.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:09 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
Have any current or former players burst out of the closet or been outed by media? I can't think of a single example, which is pretty weird when you consider, by sheer odds, that there must be many gay hockey players (past and present).

Not interested in rumours or speculation; just confirmed outings.
A reporter would never get work in the sports media again if he/she ever outed a player without consent. Their are gay people in every sport, but it's a macho place so it's tough for them to be open about it, especially in a team sport where chemistry is everything. And if a reporter ever did something like that, no player would ever trust them enough to open their mouth around them.

As for your question though. No there are not any or has there been any active NHL player who has come out of the closet.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I was born and raised in Chicago and still live there to this day... however, I frequent Detroit during the holidays and summers and such (my girlfriend is from there). Whenever people have given me crap about wearing something Blackhawks related, I tell them that I was at a hotel party in Chicago and saw (insert Detroit player) making out with another guy in the bathroom while they were in town.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... but it usually throws them off.

So if someone hears a rumor about a DRW player making out with another guy at a hotel party in Chicago... don't take it serious.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
I was born and raised in Chicago and still live there to this day... however, I frequent Detroit during the holidays and summers and such (my girlfriend is from there). Whenever people have given me crap about wearing something Blackhawks related, I tell them that I was at a hotel party in Chicago and saw (insert Detroit player) making out with another guy in the bathroom while they were in town.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... but it usually throws them off.

So if someone hears a rumor about a DRW player making out with another guy at a hotel party in Chicago... don't take it serious.

Dude. There are rules! This is hockey, not 'Nam!

Old
06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
Dude. There are rules! This is hockey, not 'Nam!
Nailed it!

Old
06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I don't think you can go by sheer "statistical probabilities" when suspecting that there must be gay men in the NHL. It'd be kinda like expecting a track team to have the same ratio of type-2 diabetes as the rest of North America, or whatever. If you're naturally predisposed to certain things (or even if you make certain conscious decisions), there are simply paths through life that you're unlikely to take. Without going to far into stereotype land, it might be possible that you wouldn't get involved seriously enough to put in the effort it takes to get to the top level of a violent contact sport if you were, in fact, gay. I'm not, so I have no idea if that's even a widely applicable hypothesis.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Theres never been an NHL player ever come out, whether it be retired or currently playing.

Doubt it will ever happen either. Homosexuality is attacked constantly in minor hockey, so it's supressed to the point no one will ever come out, or there is none because they quit due to potential extreme and possibly violent teasing.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I don't think you can go by sheer "statistical probabilities" when suspecting that there must be gay men in the NHL. It'd be kinda like expecting a track team to have the same ratio of type-2 diabetes as the rest of North America, or whatever. If you're naturally predisposed to certain things, there are simply paths through life that you're unlikely to take. Without going to far into stereotype land, it might be possible that you wouldn't get involved seriously enough to put in the effort it takes to get to the top level of a violent contact sport if you were, in fact, gay. I'm not, so I have no idea if that's even a widely applicable hypothesis.
Wow this is an incredibly offensive post.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Ogopogo*

This crap again?

Someone should start a thread on the number of gay, Jewish, left- wingers from Nova Scotia that have Corsi ratings over 10.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
If it's ignorant, I'll apologize, but there's certainly no offense meant.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
This crap again?

Someone should start a thread on the number of gay, Jewish, left- wingers from Nova Scotia that have Corsi ratings over 10.
How many of those do you think there are?

Yes, I said 'those'.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:21 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

This is going nowhere fast.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

This thread has been made at least 3 times in the past 6 months. They all turned out to go nowhere and was a little racy. IIRC, one was even locked.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
No, it isn't.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:24 PM
ales83fan

The ratios for stuff like this is different. Different people have different interest. This is true of all types of categories, including gay/straight differences. It seems to me that there would be a lesser percentage of gay athletes than other careers. For example, I can see a higher ratio of designers be gay than athletes not because they should, but because this is something that interests them more.....But I don't want to sound discriminatory. Hmmmmm.

I guess I can speak for myself, that way I'm not alienating anyone.

1. I'm a Eastern European male. Soccer is a big deal where I come from, so when it comes to activities you'd expect a man in our country to engage in, the statistics for soccer participation would be higher than let's say Canada, since that is not as common an interest. All I'm saying is that percentages in different activities depend on certain things, and are not random.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Theres never been an NHL player ever come out, whether it be retired or currently playing.

Doubt it will ever happen either. Homosexuality is attacked constantly in minor hockey, so it's supressed to the point no one will ever come out, or there is none because they quit due to potential extreme and possibly violent teasing.
I disagree. I've said before that there are two types of players who can come out.

The first is a superstar. They're used to being protected, and teammates are used to protecting them on the ice. Someone who goes too far as it currently stands would be kept honest, so there wouldn't be much concern.

The second is a goalie, for much the same reason.

What I doubt will be seen is a fourth-liner, for the simple reason that when someone is hanging onto their NHL careers, they're not going to take the risk that there might be something that negatively impacts how they're viewed in the front office.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:25 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
He says he's not sure and just made an assumption. Why is it offensive?

Old
06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Such an easy thing to google... the answer is no, which to me is kinda obvious.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
I disagree. I've said before that there are two types of players who can come out.

The first is a superstar. They're used to being protected, and teammates are used to protecting them on the ice. Someone who goes too far as it currently stands would be kept honest, so there wouldn't be much concern.

The second is a goalie, for much the same reason.

What I doubt will be seen is a fourth-liner, for the simple reason that when someone is hanging onto their NHL careers, they're not going to take the risk that there might be something that negatively impacts how they're viewed in the front office.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
The ratios for stuff like this is different. Different people have different interest. This is true of all types of categories, including gay/straight differences. It seems to me that there would be a lesser percentage of gay athletes than other careers. For example, I can see a higher ratio of designers be gay than athletes not because they should, but because this is something that interests them more.....But I don't want to sound discriminatory. Hmmmmm.

I guess I can speak for myself, that way I'm not alienating anyone.

1. I'm a Eastern European male. Soccer is a big deal where I come from, so when it comes to activities you'd expect a man in our country to engage in, the statistics for soccer participation would be higher than let's say Canada, since that is not as common an interest. All I'm saying is that percentages in different activities depend on certain things, and are not random.
Which is fine. I'm sure that homosexuality if far more common in fashion design or hairdressing than in pro sports. But when you consider the sheer number of men who've played NHL hockey in the 90+ years that the league has existed, there's gotta a sizeable number of gays who've played NHL hockey at some point.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:32 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Can't think of any.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:33 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Which is fine. I'm sure that homosexuality if far more common in fashion design or hairdressing than in pro sports. But when you consider the sheer number of men who've played NHL hockey in the 90+ years that the league has existed, there's gotta be some a sizeable number of gays who've played NHL hockey at some point.
You're probably right. To answer your question, none that the public knows about.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:34 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
How? He said he didn't know if it was right or not, and it is true that the average man is not as "manly" and testosterone filled as the average NHLer. I think its logical that the percentage in the NHL would be at least some amount lower than the North American percentage. Is it impossible for a homosexual man to make the NHL? Hell no. Not in any way, shape, or form. There has definitely been one and while its impossible to say there currently are, its highly highly highly likely. Still, you can't deny the fact that a homosexual NHLer is likely more rough and tumble than the average N.A male, and generally (of COURSE not always or close to always), a straight man will be more sporty and tough and, well, manly, than a gay man. I know gay people who are not effeminate at all and I know some who are very effeminate, there is a spectrum, but it is more widely "travelled" amongst gay men. Nothin' wrong with that whatsoever.

Sorry if this is going OT, I don't know what else we'd talk about in such a thread, though.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Which is fine. I'm sure that homosexuality if far more common in fashion design or hairdressing than in pro sports. But when you consider the sheer number of men who've played NHL hockey in the 90+ years that the league has existed, there's gotta a sizeable number of gays who've played NHL hockey at some point.
Well, I agree that we should expect the number to be greater than 0, but I have no idea how you'd even reckon a ballpark number that you'd "expect".

Old
06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
I honestly wouldn't be surprised though if when the time comes that an active professional athlete of the major 4 sports in North America comes out of the closet it will be from the NHL in my opinion. Overall the player base is a lot more progressive then in most sports. I would imagine with the machismo in a basketball locker room it would destroy team chemistry. But hockey players seem to be a lot less concerned about how macho they look then other athletes.

Closed Thread