HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2011 Ottawa Senators Draft Thread [Part X]

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
  #51
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Can someone tell me when the development camp is this year?

Manked is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 05:09 PM
  #52
ChiassonTale
Registered User
 
ChiassonTale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
vCash: 500
I think Strome and Zibs is a toss up at the 6. If the Sens brass thinks this way maybe there is a trade down possibility.

It's later picks where the team will have some tough decisions. At the 21 I'd be ecstatic if Ottawa could pull Ty Rattie. He has an excellent stride on an undeveloped 6'0 frame. He has the hands and vision to make plays at the pro level, too. IMO, he has the tools to be a better NHLer than his WHL teammate Bartschi.

ChiassonTale is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 05:48 PM
  #53
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)
 
ErikKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Can someone tell me when the development camp is this year?
Be sure to make note of the following events, which will surely be highlights of the week!

JUNE 30 - TEAM SCRIMMAGE

JULY 1 - CANADA DAY PRACTICE & FAN FESTIVAL

JULY 4 - ANNUAL END-OF-CAMP 3 on 3 TOURNAMENT

ErikKarlsson is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:02 PM
  #54
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Be sure to make note of the following events, which will surely be highlights of the week!

JUNE 30 - TEAM SCRIMMAGE

JULY 1 - CANADA DAY PRACTICE & FAN FESTIVAL

JULY 4 - ANNUAL END-OF-CAMP 3 on 3 TOURNAMENT
Thanks!! I'll definitely be there.

For someone who spends his classes writing out lineups, I'm surprised I've never attended one of these

Manked is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:19 PM
  #55
DJB
Registered User
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,957
vCash: 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy The Sens Fan View Post
Good article on Strome from the Sens website. Makes me want him even more.

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.ht...pid=rss-brodie
He's a fantastic player. Huge offensive upside and a great set of hands. Love his qoute that he 'likes the pressure'.

Spezza was saying the same thing in his draft year. I like players that are confident on the verge of being cocky....

DJB is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:19 PM
  #56
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)
 
ErikKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Thanks!! I'll definitely be there.

For someone who spends his classes writing out lineups, I'm surprised I've never attended one of these
I'm not getting back to Canada until July 2nd and I'm traveling through Ottawa on the 4th so I'm hoping I can atleast make it in time for that. Was really hoping to go for all of it this year but of course work throws a wrench into that.

ErikKarlsson is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:29 PM
  #57
Smeddy
Intangibles
 
Smeddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kanata
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,357
vCash: 500
Never really got the Strome hate.

Especially since he's the player we will most likely draft.

Smeddy is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:35 PM
  #58
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
Never really got the Strome hate.

Especially since he's the player we will most likely draft.
i'm pretty excited

BK201 is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:35 PM
  #59
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
Never really got the Strome hate.

Especially since he's the player we will most likely draft.
Look at CphoenixM's post history and you'll see why.

The Waffler is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:35 PM
  #60
DJB
Registered User
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,957
vCash: 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
Never really got the Strome hate.

Especially since he's the player we will most likely draft.
There are some off ice character questions along with if his offence will translate to the NHL or if he is another guy that fails to suceed due to his 'CHL type moves' ala Rob Schremp....

He's gotten a lot of hate as well because CPM pumps him up like the next Crosby....

DJB is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:37 PM
  #61
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
A lot of it isn't hate on Strome, it's hate on the fact that some posters have him labeled as, without a doubt, the best player in the draft.

Manked is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:40 PM
  #62
West Coast Eagles
Classless
 
West Coast Eagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bne
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
I know this board has definately talked quite a bit about the first round and especially the #6 pick, but we should be able to find some top quality guys in round 2.

Someone mentioned that they beleive the Sens won't be drafting a netminder this year (think it was Broken Tier), from either a link or Dorion talking about not taking one, but I really like Christopher Gibson.

Normally I have sided towards European netminders in the past, and although I think John Gibson is the #1 rated netminder, I think Christopher is the better player. He play on an absolute garbage team in Chicoutami, facing 30+ shots a night and still had a respectable save % and gaa. He looked pretty solid in all my viewings on him.

Outside of Lehner, we really have nothing in terms of goaltending depth, and I would like to see us take come chances on some guys either in the 2nd or mid round...

The only Euro goalie I like are Perhonen and Hellberg...
Step away from the ledge.......Chris is Finnish born and hence, techinically, European (I'm not sure of his current citizenship).

I want him too, i've said it all along. My draft strategy is similar to FQL's and the more I think about it the more I question moving up because of the cost. I'm hoping we can get Chris at 48 but I'm pretty sure that pick would be used in any move up the order. Without moving up my targets are as follows:
6. Coutourier/Strome (Lando is my no 1 but IMO he isn't going to fall to us)
21. JT Miller, Grimaldi, Puempel
35. Rattie, Ritchie, Jenner, Prince.
48. C.Gibson, Someone big nasty *****

Off topic but I just went through CSS's final rankings (I think from april), does anyone know anything about Joseph Labate, his size and numbers look good.


Last edited by West Coast Eagles: 06-15-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spastic fingers
West Coast Eagles is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:44 PM
  #63
DJB
Registered User
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,957
vCash: 4386
Florida to draft RNH if available at 3 otherwise Huberdeau
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/


Avs to possibly take Huberdeau at 2.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011...uberdeau/7403/


The Avs article is a bit speculative however interesting nontheless.


From the Fla article, seems like Tallon really wants a centreman badly...

1. Oil - RNH
2. Avs - Huberdeau
3. Fla - Couturier

That would give us one of Lando, Larsson or Strome...

DJB is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
  #64
Hale The Villain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,929
vCash: 500
Strome in comparison to forwards drafted top 5 in the past three drafts

Taylor Hall: 57GP-40G-66A-106P
Tyler Seguin: 63GP-48G-58A-106P
Ryan Strome: 65GP-33G-73A-106P
Steven Stamkos: 61GP-58G-47A-105P
John Tavares: 56GP-58G-46A-104P
Evander Kane: 61GP-48G-48A-96P
Brayden Schenn: 70GP-32G-56A-88P
Matt Duchene: 57GP-31-48A-79P
Ryan Johansen: 71GP-25G-44A-69P
Nino Niederreiter: 65GP-36G-24A-60P

I really don't want to pass up such a talent for Zibanejed, a player who some have said lacks offensive upside.

Hale The Villain is online now  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:55 PM
  #65
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight
 
SevenOfSpades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
I really don't want to pass up such
a talent for Zibanejed, a player who some have said lacks offensive upside.
Fair point, but if couturier is available would you still take strome?

SevenOfSpades is online now  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:57 PM
  #66
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
Fair point, but if couturier is available would you still take strome?
i haven't watch either to say either way

i just hope our management can make a great decision.

BK201 is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 06:58 PM
  #67
H2O
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,750
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
Fair point, but if couturier is available would you still take strome?
Couturier is the only prospect that can end up better than RNH in this year's draft imo. But I still like RNH the best.

H2O is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
  #68
bdp
Registered User
 
bdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Florida to draft RNH if available at 3 otherwise Huberdeau
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/


Avs to possibly take Huberdeau at 2.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011...uberdeau/7403/


The Avs article is a bit speculative however interesting nontheless.


From the Fla article, seems like Tallon really wants a centreman badly...

1. Oil - RNH
2. Avs - Huberdeau
3. Fla - Couturier

That would give us one of Lando, Larsson or Strome...
If RNH and Huberdeau are gone then maybe they will strongly consider a trade down. Couturier could be had at 6.

bdp is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 07:04 PM
  #69
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
If RNH and Huberdeau are gone then maybe they will strongly consider a trade down. Couturier could be had at 6.
what they already expect both of those players to be gone by six for sure.

BK201 is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 07:14 PM
  #70
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,528
vCash: 500
The fact Murray clearly wants to trade up to grab a certain player (or one of a couple perhaps), leads me to believe that while the Sens like Strome as a fall back pick at #6, they would rather trade up (and give up an asset) for the guy(s) they like more. Be that Couturier, Lando or Huberdeau (or all of the above), I have no idea, but obviously Murray likes one of those guys better than the idea of taking Strome and having an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 07:19 PM
  #71
bdp
Registered User
 
bdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
what they already expect both of those players to be gone by six for sure.
I'm not sure what you're saying, but what I mean is, if Florida is 100% set on drafting a center, and RNH & Huberdeau go 1 and 2, they could be open to trading down, as the next best center (Couturier, Strome or Zibanejad) will most likely be available at 6.

If they can still get the best center available and add a couple 2nds, why not?

bdp is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 07:42 PM
  #72
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
The fact Murray clearly wants to trade up to grab a certain player (or one of a couple perhaps), leads me to believe that while the Sens like Strome as a fall back pick at #6, they would rather trade up (and give up an asset) for the guy(s) they like more. Be that Couturier, Lando or Huberdeau (or all of the above), I have no idea, but obviously Murray likes one of those guys better than the idea of taking Strome and having an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.
That's exactly what I'm thinking.

The Waffler is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 07:44 PM
  #73
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying, but what I mean is, if Florida is 100% set on drafting a center, and RNH & Huberdeau go 1 and 2, they could be open to trading down, as the next best center (Couturier, Strome or Zibanejad) will most likely be available at 6.


If they can still get the best center available and add a couple 2nds, why not?
Agh I see I did misunderstand you

BK201 is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
  #74
Smeddy
Intangibles
 
Smeddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kanata
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Look at CphoenixM's post history and you'll see why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
He's gotten a lot of hate as well because CPM pumps him up like the next Crosby....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
A lot of it isn't hate on Strome, it's hate on the fact that some posters have him labeled as, without a doubt, the best player in the draft.


Ya, I've followed these threads. He's pretty funny.

Smeddy is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 07:54 PM
  #75
benjiv1
Registered User
 
benjiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
If FLA are set on a centre, I could realistically see the draft going as follows:

EDM- RNH
COL- Larsson
FLA- Huberdeau
OTT- Landeskog
NYI- Couturier
NJ- Zibanejad

NJ already have Parise, Kovalchuck and Elias on the wings, in a draft where the talent is so close in the top 5/6, it would make sense for them to target a centre, especially considering Strome/Couturier/Zibanejad have higher ceiling than Landeskog.

Additonally, New Jersey doesn't have another pick until #69 (if they don't decide to forfit it), and traded away their first last year in the Kovie trade.

benjiv1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.