HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2011 Ottawa Senators Draft Thread [Part X]

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Strome in comparison to forwards drafted top 5 in the past three drafts

Taylor Hall: 57GP-40G-66A-106P
Tyler Seguin: 63GP-48G-58A-106P
Ryan Strome: 65GP-33G-73A-106P
Steven Stamkos: 61GP-58G-47A-105P
John Tavares: 56GP-58G-46A-104P
Evander Kane: 61GP-48G-48A-96P
Brayden Schenn: 70GP-32G-56A-88P
Matt Duchene: 57GP-31-48A-79P
Ryan Johansen: 71GP-25G-44A-69P
Nino Niederreiter: 65GP-36G-24A-60P

I really don't want to pass up such a talent for Zibanejed, a player who some have said lacks offensive upside.
Why didn't Corey Locke and Matt Foy go 1st overall in their draft year. This stat really doesn't paint an accurate picture, no offense.

I would still love Strome though. Only, it seems like I say that about every prospect. Let's just say that I trust Murray. By the way, scouts also say that Zibanejad has explosive offensive potential, it depends on who you ask.

Old
06-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
A lot of it isn't hate on Strome, it's hate on the fact that some posters have him labeled as, without a doubt, the best player in the draft.
I've never asserted that. In fact I've said multiple times that any of the top 8 players in the draft have a realistic chance of being the best player of this draft.

I personally believe that he will be the best forward of the draft, but again it's not like he's a shoe-in for it. He could just as easily bust.

Old
06-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
I've never asserted that. In fact I've said multiple times that any of the top 8 players in the draft have a realistic chance of being the best player of this draft.

I personally believe that he will be the best forward of the draft, but again it's not like he's a shoe-in for it. He could just as easily bust.
That's not what the content of your posts seem like.

Anyways, I was wondering what you thought of Strome's speed?

Old
06-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Pyke*

Quote:

Therein lies the problem. A pick that you make at the top of the first round should - at worst - be a player for you. That's a requirement. You cannot afford to have the player be a bust.

Ryan Strome is very talented. That alone isn't enough. I much rather Couturier or Zibanejad who will be Top 6 forwards if they don't reach their ceilings.

As to Hale the Villain's point about Ryan Strome (who by the way, is unlikely to go in the top 5.. so that's a stupid comparison)

Corey Locke's Draft Year:
2002-03 Ottawa 67's OHL 66 63 88 151 83

That's 63 goals, 151 points. He went in the 4th Round. Putting up points is merely part of the picture.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
That's not what the content of your posts seem like.

Anyways, I was wondering what you thought of Strome's speed?
He has some of the best speed at the top of the draft, and his stride is smooth when he's carrying the puck up the ice. I like it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Therein lies the problem. A pick that you make at the top of the first round should - at worst - be a player for you. That's a requirement. You cannot afford to have the player be a bust.

Ryan Strome is very talented. That alone isn't enough. I much rather Couturier or Zibanejad who will be Top 6 forwards if they don't reach their ceilings.

As to Hale the Villain's point about Ryan Strome (who by the way, is unlikely to go in the top 5.. so that's a stupid comparison)

That's 63 goals, 151 points. He went in the 4th Round. Putting up points is merely part of the picture.
For every player that has put up over 100 points in their draft year that has busted there are 3 that haven't, or more. Locke is the exception not the rule. Strome doesn't have an abnormally high bust potential, but he could bust just like any top prospect has that potential to. I fully believe that he will have a long career in the NHL as a top 6 forward. I think his ceiling is a #1 centre, and below his ceiling is anywhere in the top 6. I don't think there's a good chance that he ends up busting -- no more than RNH to be sure. He's actually shown great promise with his work in traffic and his ability to work in tight spaces (namely 5v5.)

Anyway, I don't want to keep talking about Strome as everyone is tired of it. I have my opinion you have yours. We can discuss it to death, but there's nothing about Strome that is indicative of a prospect who is more likely to bust than one who can't even put up average 5v5 numbers. RNH is going to have even less space in the NHL to work.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Sens Mile

Looks like we have the 61st overall pick

Old
06-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
Looks like we have the 61st overall pick
I'll gladly take it.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
I'll gladly take it.
Rather 61st with Boston winning than 60th with Vancouver.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Flamingo

Hopefully Dorion's interviews and scouting insights can reduce uncertainty about a prospect's future development, and thus reduce the possibility of picking a bust. If we pick Strome, I'll have faith.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Manny*

Great interview with Zibanejad:

http://hockeysfuture.craveonline.com...dens-if-306705

Talks about the combine, his season in Sweden and travelling to Ottawa.

Seems like a good kid.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:56 PM
JMac13

Quote:
He has some of the best speed at the top of the draft, and his stride is smooth when he's carrying the puck up the ice. I like it a lot.
His speed is certainly good but I think it is more deceptive than anything, he can change gears pretty quickly. I have to disagree with you about the stride though - seems choppy to me every time i've seen him play. Obviously it doesn't affect his speed but i wouldn't call it smooth.

And for the record I'm on board taking Strome at 6, though won't be disappointed with pretty much any of Couts, Murphy, Hamilton, Zibs or Strome (guys I see actually being there at 6).

Old
06-15-2011, 11:09 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 400
So can we draft Oleksiak at 21 and then 3 straight goalies in the 2nd round.

Defence and goaltending wins championships...

Old
06-15-2011, 11:18 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

defense, goaltending AND offense win you championships.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:24 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Great interview with Zibanejad:

http://hockeysfuture.craveonline.com...dens-if-306705

Talks about the combine, his season in Sweden and travelling to Ottawa.

Seems like a good kid.
He's a great kid. Humble, well-spoken, wouldn't hurt a fly outside the rink. Stereotypical Swedish, in other words, huh?

Old
06-15-2011, 11:24 PM
HSF

While a lot of ppl are trashing Strome i honestly think he is the guy that ottawa is worried might go before the 6th pick and that we might have to trade up to get him.

he seems like the Skinner of this draft where he flies under the radar on HF but not in the real world. Just my take.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
He's a great kid. Humble, well-spoken, wouldn't hurt a fly outside the rink. Stereotypical Swedish, in other words, huh?
Going to be an outstanding NHLer. Not sure if he's our ideal outcome, although I wouldn't mind...but he'll be an important player.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

Dallas will probably take Oleksiak considering how pisspoor their defence is.

Ottawa gonna grab them some Couturier and Jensen/Rattie. Though I wouldn't be that upset if Murray got Biggs, gotta get dat size after all. Or maybe Schiefele, <3 dem Barrie boys.

Oh yeah btw I 'm hanging out here a lot more often. The jersey is 2SEXY and like a battered wife I can't help but come to those rebuilding teams.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Gus Fring

edit: nvm

Last edited by Gus Fring: 06-16-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old
06-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Going to be an outstanding NHLer. Not sure if he's our ideal outcome, although I wouldn't mind...but he'll be an important player.
Really impressed with the Zibanejad interview. Would be super excited to land him. He seems to be humble, and with the skill he has - I have no doubt he'll be a player somewhere.

I found it particularly interesting he interviewed with 29/30 teams (Detroit was the only one he did not interview with, but he mentioned he had interviewed with their European Scout in Sweden)... Also interesting he has visits planned in Buffalo, Boston and New York (the Islanders)... but NOT the Devils (he was asked directly).

Given the Devils had been rumoured to be in the mix for him, I found that surprising.

Old
06-16-2011, 04:15 AM
vermette20

Still don't have a clear favourite for who I'd like the Sens to draft, but based on personality alone, it'd be Landeskog or Zibanejad.

Hurry up draft day so I know who to over hype and praise as the best player of the draft.

Old
06-16-2011, 04:16 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

That was Locke's second time in the NHL draft. He was passed over the first time.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
defense, goaltending AND offense win you championships.
Vancouver's 7 goals in 7 games agrees with you. We cannot focus exclusively on defense and expect to win anything.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
Vancouver's 7 goals in 7 games agrees with you. We cannot focus exclusively on defense and expect to win anything.
I'm not sure that's a great example. Vancouver has one of the NHL's most high-powered offences. It was a lack of effectiveness that plagued their offence, not a lack of skill.

The Bruins on the other hand just won the Cup with a focus on defence and goaltending. The only first line calibre offence talent that played for them in Game 7 was Krejci, maybe Bergeron if you're being generous.

I mean sure, you don't win games if you don't score goals, but the team that just won the Cup was built goaltending, a defensive system and depth. The team that lost has the two top offensive players in the Western Conference.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac13 View Post
His speed is certainly good but I think it is more deceptive than anything, he can change gears pretty quickly. I have to disagree with you about the stride though - seems choppy to me every time i've seen him play. Obviously it doesn't affect his speed but i wouldn't call it smooth.

And for the record I'm on board taking Strome at 6, though won't be disappointed with pretty much any of Couts, Murphy, Hamilton, Zibs or Strome (guys I see actually being there at 6).
The deceptive part sounds a lot like...Marian Hossa.

I always remember him casually skating up the ice with the puck and then just full out accelerating, blowing by any defender.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Dosing

"Hows it like to grow up in sweden and have no swedish heritage" LMFAO And they say swedes are blunt xD

Also with no tim thomas the canucks would have won in 4

Closed Thread