HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Draft Packages

Old
10-28-2009, 11:47 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
2010 Draft Packages

It's getting to be that time of year again to start placing orders. There are only some slight format changes, mainly in the split of the USHL and US National Team Development Program scouting profiles. I went back through my old documents from last year's package and noticed several typos. Sorry about that. Those will be fixed this year. Those of you who ordered one last year don't have to worry, I still have your e-mail addresses and you'll be receiving something from me around mid-November, and you can make arrangements regarding the 2010 package then.

For those of you unfamiliar with the process, I profile usually between 75 and 90 prospects (depending on what I can find and how deep the draft is) for every draft and give some supplementary information regarding the draft. Most of it is stuff that major draft buffs will already know, but most people find it helpful going into the draft. If you're interested, PM me a valid e-mail address.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
It's getting to be that time of year again to start placing orders. There are only some slight format changes, mainly in the split of the USHL and US National Team Development Program scouting profiles. I went back through my old documents from last year's package and noticed several typos. Sorry about that. Those will be fixed this year. Those of you who ordered one last year don't have to worry, I still have your e-mail addresses and you'll be receiving something from me around mid-November, and you can make arrangements regarding the 2010 package then.

For those of you unfamiliar with the process, I profile usually between 75 and 90 prospects (depending on what I can find and how deep the draft is) for every draft and give some supplementary information regarding the draft. Most of it is stuff that major draft buffs will already know, but most people find it helpful going into the draft. If you're interested, PM me a valid e-mail address.
I would like to renew my subscription

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 12:07 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Sign me up!

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

throwing in the towel already ? j/k ... count me in

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 04:42 PM
braindead

Me, too. Same address. Good work- highly recommended.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:43 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

It's been a long time since this thread was used, but I felt now was the time to dig it up since I've resumed work on these.

I've got all but about four Russian prospects done for Europe, and I'm about to pick back up with the OHL and USNTDP. A few observations thus far:

- This is the most talented Russian draft class since Europeans began coming to the NHL en mass in the late 80s and early 90s. Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Zaytsev (who I'm particularly high on; defenders with his wheels and consistency don't come along at this age very often), Kitsyn, Burmistrov, Kabanov, Galiev, and now a fast riser in Ivan Telegin. Flight risks or no, it will be tough to ignore the talent the Motherland has to offer this year.
- I expect Brett Connolly to fall in a similar fashion to Budish, although maybe not quite as far. This would put him right in our laps.
- There's a really nice mid-round sleeper to be had in Joonas Donskoi. I expect him to fall to the mid/late third round. All the reports point to a faster version of Hörnqvist.
- This will be a banner year for the OHL. They could have 30 picks in the first two rounds. By contrast, it's a very weak year for the Q, with most of their better prospects coming from Russia and the Czech Republic.

Overall, I have to say that this is a very strong draft class. I was expecting this to be a weak year, but it hasn't shaken out that way.

Still taking orders for packages. See Post #1 for ordering details (if you've already ordered one, don't freak out; I have your e-mail address).

Old
02-06-2010, 02:40 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Sorry, I'm a little confused. So is it a mock draft or just info on prospects? You just email it to us instead of posting it on the boards? Is it free? Sorry, I'm new here.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
Sorry, I'm a little confused. So is it a mock draft or just info on prospects? You just email it to us instead of posting it on the boards? Is it free? Sorry, I'm new here.
its a comprehensive description of all draft eligible players

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:55 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
its a comprehensive description of all draft eligible players
His last package also included a mock draft.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

how close was he?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:44 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
It's both. I profile prospects and then offer up a mock draft, as well as an ideal draft class for the Predators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
how close was he?
Since you asked, I dug up my old mock draft and went back through it. I generally consider a player within two picks of his actual draft position a success. Here's a look:

1. Hedman (2)*
2. Tavares (1)*
3. Duchene (3)*
4. Paajarvi-Svensson (10)
5. Kane (4)*
6. Schenn (5)*
7. Cowen (9)*
8. Schroeder (20)
9. Ekman-Larsson (6)
10. Glennie (8)*
11. Ashton (29)
12. Moore (21)
13. Holland (15)*
14. Kulikov (14)*
15. Josefson (20)
16. Despres (30)
17. Ferraro (32)
19. Kreider (19)*
20. Elliott (49)
21. Kadri (7)
22. Ellis (11)
23. Rundblad (17)
24. Caron (25)*
25. Palmieri (26)*
26. Morin (45)
27. Beck (70)
28. De Haan (12)
29. Paradis (27)*
30. Klingberg (34)

So that's 13 out of 30. Not great, but not terrible. The draft is hardly an exact science.

Also, the picks I projected for Nashville:

11 - Jordan Schroeder (Ellis; Schroeder fell to Vancouver at 22)
41 - Nick Leddy (Budish; I had Budish pegged to go at 33, Leddy went at 16)
42 - Cody Eakin (Olivier-Roussel; I had COR going at 37, Eakin fell to 85)
70 - Henrik Björklund (Beck; I had Beck pegged at 27, Björklund fell to 111)
72 - Anders Lee (Latta; Lee fell to the 6th round)
98 - Brodie Melnychuk (Smith; Melnychuk was not drafted)
102 - Ben Hanowski (Ekholm; Hanowski went at 63)
110 - Marcus Foligno (Oliver; Foligno was picked at 104)
131 - Tomas Vincour (Bourque; Vincour went to Dallas at 129)
147 - Brandon Kozun (Traded this pick to Tampa Bay; Kozun fell to LA at 179)
191 - Anton Mylläri (Traded down from this pick; selected Cam Reid at 192; Mylläri was not drafted)
201 - Tony Vidgren (Traded this pick; Vidgren was not drafted)

My favorite bit from the mock draft...

Quote:
14. Florida Panthers – Dmitri Kulikov, D, Drummondville Voltiguers – I hold the opinion that Kulikov is an extraordinarily talented player, and that he could probably jump in immediately if a club had room for him. However, I also hold the opinion that the NHL is as full of xenophobes as many of its fan bases seem to be. With that said, there’s no way that Jacques Martin passes on Kulikov after he’s fallen this far.
Even though Jacques Martin was no longer the GM of the Panthers, whoever was in charge at the time clearly ordered one of these.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 02-06-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old
02-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Jarnberg

Is this information based on you actually watching the players?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Is this information based on you actually watching the players?
I try to make that the case. A lot of the top prospects from Europe were actually at the WJC, so I got an extended look at them, and hopefully TSN will have the U-18s online again this year so I can catch the ones I missed. Unfortunately, the number of U-18 representatives from the CHL was pretty low this year. If I can't get any viewing time, I take the consensus from as many scouting reports as I can find: I generally try to find at least three, and build the profiles based on that.

Old
02-07-2010, 07:54 PM
goalscorer

Two questions...

1) Do you charge for the package?

2) I've heard many say that this and next years draft class will be weak. With that being said and us finishing somewhere say between 14th-20th, is there anyone you project being picked in that range that's worth getting excited about?

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:52 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
Two questions...

1) Do you charge for the package?

2) I've heard many say that this and next years draft class will be weak. With that being said and us finishing somewhere say between 14th-20th, is there anyone you project being picked in that range that's worth getting excited about?
1.) No, it's completely free.

2.) This year's draft class is actually pretty talented. I would love to see Brett Connolly fall to us, but that depends on how much longer he's out and where we end up in the draft order. He would be a great addition to our wing corps.
Jeff Skinner is a bit on the small side, and doesn't have the offensive upside that Connolly would have, but he fits our team culture very well. Ryan Spooner is another good, albeit diminutive pick out of the OHL.
Mark Pysyk is a guy I've had my eye on since before last year's draft. He's a bit rough around the edges, but we're good at developing defensemen and he has enormous potential.
Nick Bjugstad out of Blaine HS in Minnesota is a name I've seen popping up a lot in the 14-25 range, but I haven't heard much about him. He has drawn several comparisons to Budish, standing at 6'4", 190 lbs. (OT, but why do so many people in Wisconsin and Minnesota have Scandinavian-sounding names? I don't ever recall hearing about immigrants from Scandinavia moving to that part of the country in history class, and they didn't settle it in the colonial era from what I remember...)

Then there are the players with more risk attached. Well-known names like John McFarland, Jon Merrill, Teemu Pulkkinen, and Evgeny Kuznetsov, who have all seen their stock drop for one reason or another. McFarland and Kuznetsov are especially talented, but there have been lots of questions regarding focus and attitude (and in Kuznetov's case, a knack for stupid, lazy penalties). They probably have a pretty high reward attached if they develop, but I imagine Poile will go for something more conservative, as he usually does. At least, I hope he does. Between Klein's awful play and the Ellis pick, I've lost enough hair in the last calendar year.

Old
02-08-2010, 10:57 AM
lstcyr

Here's a link to the Norwegian immigration to Minnesota in the 19th century.

http://http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/h...migration.html

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:20 AM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Here's a link to the Norwegian immigration to Minnesota in the 19th century.

http://http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/h...migration.html
It's shows to visit there. St. Paul is the whitest- or, rather, palest-- city in America-- the overwhelming number of blonde hair/blue eyed folks really is striking.

Old
02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
braindead

Here was my Preds draft class, which I'm still willing to stack up against Poile's and WFOME's (at least for a while):

1st Round – 11th Overall – Chris Kreider (went 19th NYR)

2nd Round – 41st Overall – Phillipe Paradis, C, Shawinigan (went 27th CAR- Now TOR)

2nd Round – 42nd Overall – Jesse Blacker, D, Windsor (went 58th TOR)

3rd Round – 70th Overall –, Anton Lander, F, SWE (went 40th EDM)

3rd Round – 72nd Overall – Brian Dumoulin, D (went 51st CAR)

4th Round – 98th Overall – Ben Hanowski, F (went 63rd PIT)

4th Round – 102nd Overall – Sami Vatanen, D, Finland (went 106 ANA)

4th Round – 110th Overall – Kris Foucault, LW, Calgary (went 103 MIN)

5th Round – 131st Overall – Levko Koper LW, Spokane (went 185 ATL)

5th Round – 147th Overall – Juraj Holly, G, CZE (undrafted)

7th Round – 191st Overall – Pekka Jormakka, D Finland (undrafted)

7th Round – 201st Overall – Thomas Brandl, C, Landshut Cannibals (undrafted)

The draft package is really great and my personal favorite tidbit from last year is Beck being predicted at 27th, being picked at 70th and playing more like a 27th!

Old
02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Looking forward to gettin my package! WOo

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 02-08-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:07 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Hooray, more technical problems!

So I was doing a study on MLS and its successes in CONCACAF (we're still getting obliterated by Mexico, in case you were wondering), I had to go run a brief errand and was gone for about 15 minutes. When I came back, my computer had crashed, and when I tried to reboot it, I got an error message that a device connected to my computer could not communicate with Windows.

Basically, what this means is... well, I have no idea what it means, but my computer has not been able to boot since this happened. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the draft packages and most of the work left was simple stuff, but I have no way of accessing them right now, and I don't know how long it will take me to be able to access them again. I'm calling tech support later today, and hopefully this can be resolved quickly and painlessly, but if I have to send the computer back to Gateway or have to have a part replaced, the packages could be late getting out.

My target date to get them shipped was June 4. That may be optimistic, if not downright impossible if I have to ship the computer back, but I'll keep it as a tentative date and play things by ear from here on out.

Also, for future reference, the 2011 Draft Package will be sent exclusively by telegraph.

Old
05-21-2010, 05:05 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Viqsi to Worst's house stat!

(Trust me, Viqsi is more ubergeek than any human being on the Planet. She makes Bill Gates and Steve Jobs/Woz look like ludites)

Old
05-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Viqsi to Worst's house stat!

(Trust me, Viqsi is more ubergeek than any human being on the Planet. She makes Bill Gates and Steve Jobs/Woz look like ludites)
Oh pish tosh. You only say that 'cause you haven't met enough geeks.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:02 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Oh pish tosh. You only say that 'cause you haven't met enough geeks.
Vix, I've been to your house. I've seen the geometric name charts on your walls. I could go into further detail but I won't.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Vix, I've been to your house. I've seen the geometric name charts on your walls. I could go into further detail but I won't.
That's my father's hobby, not mine. It's not my fault I was raised by geeks.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 03:58 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
That's my father's hobby, not mine. It's not my fault I was raised by geeks.
Aint no shame in it either.