HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers update their roster

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2004, 06:05 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers update their roster

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/roster.asp

The Rangers updated their roster on the website today

The profiles of Ted Green and Terry O'Reilly were removed

When they added Perry Pearn and Benoit Allaire to the roster last week but did not remove Green and O'Reilly,that was a curious move

They removed the profiles of Eric Lindros and the rest of the group III's except Mark Messier

They also removed the profiles of the untendered UFA's(Jan Hlavac,Josh Green,Joel Bouchard,Dan Lacouture and Chris McAllister)

James L.Dolan.The L stands for loser

Remember reading Ted Green may stay in the organization in another capacity-pro scouting

Old
07-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/roster.asp

The Rangers updated their roster on the website today
That's a very very thin team.

Old
07-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I hope Messier doesn't comeback. I love him and all. But he is not right for this rebuild. I hope that game was his final one.

Old
07-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Wow not many guys left

Old
07-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Onion Boy

I noticed that today and I was wondering exactly why Messier was still on the roster. I assume/hope it was out of respect for the Moose and not because Sather has another trick up his sleeve.

Old
07-20-2004, 09:04 PM
TheZherdev

interesting. blackburn is listed as dunhams backup.

Old
07-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Edge

Well as of right now he is.....

Though my guess is that if the season resumes in the new year it will be Labarbera while Blackburn gets the time in Hartford.

Old
07-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

if messier comes back it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. i know he is old but he did play pretty good last season. he wouldn't be taking a roster spot away from any young player and would be out the door by the time the ship is turned around. i know i'm going to get flamed for this but it won't be the first time.

Old
07-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
if messier comes back it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. i know he is old but he did play pretty good last season. he wouldn't be taking a roster spot away from any young player and would be out the door by the time the ship is turned around. i know i'm going to get flamed for this but it won't be the first time.
SOS may be right on this one, if mess returns at a reduced rate and in a smaller role, than i wont be to upset about it at all, but can mess really accept that he would only be a 3rd line center at most? he doesnt need 2nd line icetime, a kid like moore can benefit, mess has nothing to gain but more points and that would be my only beef with him returning

if mess accepts a paycut and a smaller role than i have no problem seeing him here next year, he can provide leadership and regardless of what alot of the board thinks about him, every kid wants to play with mark messier. garth murray, balej, ortmeyer, lundmark and etc all had huge praise and lots of respect for him, im sure he can teach all of us something about the game

my only question then is, is making holik our top center and dom moore the 2nd line center the right move?

lundmark-holik-jagr
rucinsky-moore-balej
murray-mess-ortmeyer
wiseman-betts-giroux

not neccessarily a terrible lineup, however i prefer we bring in nylander and start a new chapter, get a new captain, and let the kids get top 6 time because i find it hard to believe mess wont be getting 15-20 minutes a game and tons of ice during close games

Old
07-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Edge

I think Messier has accepted reduced time the past two years, but when you're supposed number one center can't seem to stay healthy or productive long enough to merit more icetime, what are you gonna do?

Besides we aren't exactly brimming with kids at Center right now.

I think it would be truly sad if yet again Messier turns out to be one of the top 5 players on this team, but that's the fault of those around him.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:00 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
SOS may be right on this one, if mess returns at a reduced rate and in a smaller role, than i wont be to upset about it at all, but can mess really accept that he would only be a 3rd line center at most? he doesnt need 2nd line icetime, a kid like moore can benefit, mess has nothing to gain but more points and that would be my only beef with him returning
It seems like we say this every year and every year it never happens. Time to move on.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think Messier has accepted reduced time the past two years, but when you're supposed number one center can't seem to stay healthy or productive long enough to merit more icetime, what are you gonna do?

Besides we aren't exactly brimming with kids at Center right now.

I think it would be truly sad if yet again Messier turns out to be one of the top 5 players on this team, but that's the fault of those around him.
yes it is the fault of those around him. having mark messier on a team can never hurt.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Edge

Yeah well if we actually had players in their primg playing that way we'd have a different story now wouldn't we?

Old
07-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Edge

Quote:
yes it is the fault of those around him. having mark messier on a team can never hurt.
Nope but when a 43 year old HAS to step up because a center 12 years younger is playing like a cracked egg, i think we have a bigger problem then the number on Messier birth certificate.

When we have a 30 year old winger who can't score more than 13 goals, we have a bigger problem than Mark Messier.

When we have no left wingers, we have a bigger problem than Mark Messier.

When kids are getting their chance to shine and are sleepwalking out there, we have bigger problems than Mark Messier.

When Anson Carter can't put his pieces together, we have a bigger problem than Mark Messier.

When we have a team with guys who are supposed to be in their prime who CAN'T score than the problem isn't Mark Messier.

Is Messier without flaws? No way, but the bottom line is that at 43 he shouldn't have to play the role he did last season. Mark Messier could have existed just fine with 15 minutes a night {which he was at one point}, but when names like Nedved, Lindros, Kovalev, and Carter can't get their crap together on an even remotely consistenty basis we have what he had last year.

With Messier on the team or fishing down in Hilton Head this team's problems were with the guys who should be in their prime and should be carrying this. Where were they? Floating around the Neutral zone blaming their sticks, getting another bump to the head or just generally disappearing.

No boys the problems with this team weren't with a 43 year old, they were with guys who 2's and 3's at the first digit of their age and who FAILED. Period end of sentence.

Wanna know when this team crashed and burned? When Mark Messier scored more goals than both Lindros and Kovalev. That is somehow Messier's fault? What did he drug them or something? Did he got out there and command that they skate around with their heads up their arses? I supposed it was also his fault that two of our best forwards last season were third line grinders and goons who played hard every shift.

Mark Messier isn't perfect and he is VERY much 43 years of age, but he still played better than 80% of this team and that more than anything else is true shame of this situation.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Yizee*

EXACTLY! Every year I hear the same BULL.... everyone saying Messier is fine with signing if he takes a reduced role and all this other stuff... well if Sather cant even give him a reduced role with stars on the first 2 lines how the heck will he give him a reduced role with youngsters. Messier is the biggest cancer ever and the Rangers treat him like there son and this is why the Rangers will never be taken serious about a real NHL team - it's like the Mets with John Franco - just sign someone because of their past.... that is ridiculas - I dont know how Sather still has a job - its clear he didnt run the NHL Draft, it's clear he cant handle GM abilities, and its clear he doesnt know how to pick the right coach or coach himself. Him and Messier need to stay in Edmonton and away from my team I'm sick of hearing about Messier every damn year.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Nope but when a 43 year old HAS to step up because a center 12 years younger is playing like a cracked egg, i think we have a bigger problem then the number on Messier birth certificate.

When we have a 30 year old winger who can't score more than 13 goals, we have a bigger problem than Mark Messier.

When we have no left wingers, we have a bigger problem than Mark Messier.

When kids are getting their chance to shine and are sleepwalking out there, we have bigger problems than Mark Messier.

When Anson Carter can't put his pieces together, we have a bigger problem than Mark Messier.

When we have a team with guys who are supposed to be in their prime who CAN'T score than the problem isn't Mark Messier.

Is Messier without flaws? No way, but the bottom line is that at 43 he shouldn't have to play the role he did last season. Mark Messier could have existed just fine with 15 minutes a night {which he was at one point}, but when names like Nedved, Lindros, Kovalev, and Carter can't get their crap together on an even remotely consistenty basis we have what he had last year.

With Messier on the team or fishing down in Hilton Head this team's problems were with the guys who should be in their prime and should be carrying this. Where were they? Floating around the Neutral zone blaming their sticks, getting another bump to the head or just generally disappearing.

No boys the problems with this team weren't with a 43 year old, they were with guys who 2's and 3's at the first digit of their age and who FAILED. Period end of sentence.

Wanna know when this team crashed and burned? When Mark Messier scored more goals than both Lindros and Kovalev. That is somehow Messier's fault? What did he drug them or something? Did he got out there and command that they skate around with their heads up their arses? I supposed it was also his fault that two of our best forwards last season were third line grinders and goons who played hard every shift.

Mark Messier isn't perfect and he is VERY much 43 years of age, but he still played better than 80% of this team and that more than anything else is true shame of this situation.
i was agreeing with you.

i would love for messier to come back. He played hard until the end last season. the veterans the rangers still had on the team after the deadline deals all played hard. (messier,holik,jagr)

Old
07-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Edge

You're right because the core players on this team really stepped up last year.

Maybe the true embarassment is the only forward to spend the whole season with the team and score more goals was Holik.

The Cancer doesnt start with Messier, the cancer starts with these "Core" players who are making 4 million to 9 million dollars each and can't seem to get their crap together.

There is a reason why this team ALSO missed the playoffs before Messier came back, because their core players are non-existent.

The play by the likes of Kovalev and Carter after their trades was further proof of the embarassment of core players this team had.

The fact that Lindros for TWO years now has been a shadow of a first line center must obviously be Messier's fault as well.

The fact that Lundmark got more icetime than Messier down the stretch and did NOTHING with must be because Messier wasn't a good captain.

I mean why else would all these high priced vets underachieve and blame sticks and visors and alcohol and anything else? It's gotta be Messier.

Yup, I think we've narrowed down the reasons why Lindros and Kovalev combined to score about as many goals as Holik. Who'd have thunk it was right there all the time?

Old
07-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Edge

Quote:
i was agreeing with you.

i would love for messier to come back. He played hard until the end last season. the veterans the rangers still had on the team after the deadline deals all played hard. (messier,holik,jagr)
Didn't say we disagreed, i was expanding on my original thought by springboarding it off what ya said.

Old
07-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Yizee*

Messier doesnt need to come back ever again - we are supposed to rebuilding... moving on to become a REAL team. Messier skips practices and doesnt stick up for teammates on the ice and I'm betting doesnt talk much to any of the young players. He is a cancer and I dont care what points he put up - he has no defense skills and doesnt need to be playing 20 minutes a game thats for the kids to do and the FUTURE players

Old
07-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Onion Boy

Of course Messier should not serve as the scapegoat for the NYR's vast shortcomings over the years. He is a legend and will be remembered as such.

HOWEVER, the primary reason I'm against letting the Moose come back is because this is a new team, a young team that has the next couple years to gel and become a cohesive unit. Accordingly, a new captain should step up and take the lead...one who will be around for more than just a season or two.

Old
07-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Edge

Quote:
Messier doesnt need to come back ever again - we are supposed to rebuilding... moving on to become a REAL team.

And who exactly are you planning on throwing on the ice for next year's REAL team?

Quote:
Messier skips practices and doesnt stick up for teammates on the ice and I'm betting doesnt talk much to any of the young players.
As compared to who? Nedved? Holik? Poti?!?!?!

If we need a 43 year old to go out and drop the gloves to get this team going than we are in some serious you know what.

Messier still delivers the odd whack, slash and shove. Which is of course more than Kovalev, Carter or 80% of this roster managed to do.

But you're 100% right, he needs to go and cheap shot Cairns just like Purinton. That would turn everything around.....

Quote:
He is a cancer and I dont care what points he put up - he has no defense skills and doesnt need to be playing 20 minutes a game thats for the kids to do and the FUTURE players.
First of the man is hardly a locker room cancer, any one who spent time with the team over the years will tell you that Messier always goes out of his way to welcome the kids. He talked to Murray after EVERY game the kid was up with the club. Even bought him a new suit {Which he usually does for every rookie on the squad dating back to the days of Tony Amonte}.

20 minutes and no defense? Last time i checked Kovalev, Lindros, Poti and company were getting that much time and weren't exactly shutting anyone down.

And he hasn't taken away any icetime from any kids because we don't have any young centers with the exception of Lundmark who was playing as a RW anyway because he moved to that position in the AHL.

So who exactly is he blocking again?

Lundmark got his chance and did nothing with it. Heck Murray went out and impressed, so what is Lundmark's excuse.

Most of our young talent right now exists on the blueline, so unless Messier is going for a late career change I don't think he'll be "blocking" anyone next season. Unless of course you mean Domnic Moore who averaged about .5 points per game at the AHL level.

Old
07-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

Great, I have one question if the old man comes back AGAIN will we have to give him ANOTHER send off at the end of the season? It's over Mess, leave gracefully, PLEASE.

Old
07-21-2004, 07:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It's not a surprise Mark Messier's bio is listed on the website even though Messier is an unrestricted free agent.The Rangers are too much respect for Messier

Messier will most likely retire especially with the lockout looming

The Rangers need Messier to move on so they can move on as an organization.It's time for Tom Renney and the remaining Ranger players to put their own imprint on the team.For new leadership to emerge

Old
07-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
actually i think Messier could help the rebuild. If anyone remebers from last year when Balej was on Messiers wing, he stepped up his game. The year before when Lundmark was on his line, he stepped up his game also. And don't give me the Moore being a second line center crap, he will be in Hartford next year.
FA-Holik-Jagr
Lundmark-Messier-Balej

Old
07-21-2004, 01:10 PM
BLACKBURN

I dont have SUCH a problem with signing the moose now. In the past young players were blocked by Nedved, Holik, Lindros, Rucinsky, Bure (too many to mention) but now we have a few veteran forwards and it would not matter so much if Mess was one of them as rookies and young guys would still get a shot. And i have said that most free agents would only join us for the $ as they could go elsewhere and win, however Mess is a competitor and is a RANGER, hw wouldnt just coast, hed compete.

All in all we could sign a worse player.

Closed Thread