HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Brass have POOR memories

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2011, 11:11 AM
  #1
Habblues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sec 9 Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Habs Brass have POOR memories

As far as I`m concerned the Habs brass have poor memories by which they fail (every year) to recognize the players that were KEY to getting the Habs into the playoffs and worked like dogs during the playoffs. Last summer they let certain players walk after a terrific season and playoff run. And here we go again. I just can`t imagine even thinking about letting the WIZ walk after what he did for this team. He was the main reason they made the playoffs, THE MAIN REASON imo ! He was a warrior in the playoffs even though he was playing with many injuries.....As far as I`m concerned they can`t afford to lose a guy like that.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
  #2
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
As far as I`m concerned the Habs brass have poor memories by which they fail (every year) to recognize the players that were KEY to getting the Habs into the playoffs and worked like dogs during the playoffs. Last summer they let certain players walk after a terrific season and playoff run. And here we go again. I just can`t imagine even thinking about letting the WIZ walk after what he did for this team. He was the main reason they made the playoffs, THE MAIN REASON imo ! He was a warrior in the playoffs even though he was playing with many injuries.....As far as I`m concerned they can`t afford to lose a guy like that.
Send your resumé to the Habs, we need someone with great vision, immense memory and incredible intelligence as yourself.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:14 AM
  #3
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In The Lab.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,404
vCash: 500

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:17 AM
  #4
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
As far as I`m concerned the Habs brass have poor memories by which they fail (every year) to recognize the players that were KEY to getting the Habs into the playoffs and worked like dogs during the playoffs. Last summer they let certain players walk after a terrific season and playoff run. And here we go again. I just can`t imagine even thinking about letting the WIZ walk after what he did for this team. He was the main reason they made the playoffs, THE MAIN REASON imo ! He was a warrior in the playoffs even though he was playing with many injuries.....As far as I`m concerned they can`t afford to lose a guy like that.
Salary cap says hey.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:17 AM
  #5
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
As far as I`m concerned the Habs brass have poor memories by which they fail (every year) to recognize the players that were KEY to getting the Habs into the playoffs and worked like dogs during the playoffs. Last summer they let certain players walk after a terrific season and playoff run. And here we go again. I just can`t imagine even thinking about letting the WIZ walk after what he did for this team. He was the main reason they made the playoffs, THE MAIN REASON imo ! He was a warrior in the playoffs even though he was playing with many injuries.....As far as I`m concerned they can`t afford to lose a guy like that.
I like Wiz but there is a guy between the pipes that was way more important. I hope Wiz is gonna be re-signed. He is good enough to be a top-four, and I am sick and tired to loose our precious second-round picks for rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Salary cap says hey.
Not really. Just substract hamrlik'"s salary and give a good chunk to Wiz.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:23 AM
  #6
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Not really. Just substract hamrlik'"s salary and give a good chunk to Wiz.
Unless he wants something like 5-5.5 range. Plus the raises to Gorges and the 4 million we are giving to spacegoat.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:24 AM
  #7
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
I love how people always bring up Hamrlik, as if getting a top 6 forward isn't nearly as important with that money as keeping Wiz is. (We were 24th in scoring, Wiz didn't save this team Price did)

I want to keep Wiz too, if you see my proposal in the GM thread I kept him, but the Hammer money goes to a top 6 forward. The Spacek money goes to Wiz if they can move him, if not we're losing Wiz, I think it's pretty clear the writing is on the wall and we can't give Wiz that long term contract while Spacek sits as a #6-7

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:28 AM
  #8
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Unless he wants something like 5-5.5 range. Plus the raises to Gorges and the 4 million we are giving to spacegoat.
I doubt Wiz would demand 5.5. It would be closer to 4.5.

I don't think that the Habs will get another top-six forward at 4-5 million.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:28 AM
  #9
Habblues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sec 9 Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I love how people always bring up Hamrlik, as if getting a top 6 forward isn't nearly as important with that money as keeping Wiz is. (We were 24th in scoring, Wiz didn't save this team Price did)

I want to keep Wiz too, if you see my proposal in the GM thread I kept him, but the Hammer money goes to a top 6 forward. The Spacek money goes to Wiz if they can move him, if not we're losing Wiz, I think it's pretty clear the writing is on the wall and we can't give Wiz that long term contract while Spacek sits as a #6-7
Some fans have poor memories as well. Hamrlik was a fantastic player for us all season long......Spacek can walk (please do). We need the Wiz. He was our best point getter since arriving here people.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:30 AM
  #10
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,293
vCash: 50
Wiz was the main reason we made the playoffs?

He was a reason in the sense that his PP production helped us immensely. But he was at best the 3rd most important player at his position on the team so I can't see how he was the main reason.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:31 AM
  #11
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I love how people always bring up Hamrlik, as if getting a top 6 forward isn't nearly as important with that money as keeping Wiz is. (We were 24th in scoring, Wiz didn't save this team Price did)

I want to keep Wiz too, if you see my proposal in the GM thread I kept him, but the Hammer money goes to a top 6 forward. The Spacek money goes to Wiz if they can move him, if not we're losing Wiz, I think it's pretty clear the writing is on the wall and we can't give Wiz that long term contract while Spacek sits as a #6-7
If you have Markov, Wiz and Subban to quaterback the offence, and if the six actual forwards produce slighltly better next season, we won't have too many offensive problems.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:31 AM
  #12
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Salary cap says hey.
Enough cap space say Hey


Markov says Hey to the OP, as without him we wouldn't have made the playoffs the year before.

Point is, it's not the player, but the type of player we need, a premiere offensive Dman. The OP talks about bad memory, but its even worse memory to talk about Wiz and forget he was only there to replace Markov, and if Markov would've played all season long, we would've probably made the playoffs too.

Some people are really bad at logic.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:32 AM
  #13
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
Some fans have poor memories as well. Hamrlik was a fantastic player for us all season long......Spacek can walk (please do). We need the Wiz. He was our best point getter since arriving here people.
If the Habs cannot re-sign the Wiz, they will re-sign Hamrlik for one more year at a lesser salary. It is one or the other...I hope.

I would not like to have this D-Corp to start the season

Markov, Gorges (if 100% healthy) , Subban are reliable, but Spacek, Gill are always on the bubble, and Yemelin and Weber are unproven NHL players still

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:34 AM
  #14
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Enough cap space say Hey


Markov says Hey to the OP, as without him we wouldn't have made the playoffs the year before.

Point is, it's not the player, but the type of player we need, a premiere offensive Dman. The OP talks about bad memory, but its even worse memory to talk about Wiz and forget he was only there to replace Markov, and if Markov would've played all season long, we would've probably made the playoffs too.

Some people are really bad at logic.
Why enough with that ? The fact of the matter is that we can't keep The Wiz if we don't get rid of spacegoat. Simple as that.

So actually the salary cap does say hey.
And you say nay.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:34 AM
  #15
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
If the Habs cannot re-sign the Wiz, they will re-sign Hamrlik for one more year at a lesser salary. It is one or the other...I hope.

I would not like to have this D-Corp to start the season

Markov, Gorges (if 100% healthy) , Subban are reliable, but Spacek, Gill are always on the bubble, and Yemelin and Weber are unproven NHL players still
Or a UFA on the market.

It is clear to most people that there is still one spot on D that needs to be filled.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:36 AM
  #16
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Or a UFA on the market.

It is clear to most people that there is still one spot on D that needs to be filled.
And i bet you are one of those people who want to sign Bieksa for like 4.5 ? Am i right ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:36 AM
  #17
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Wiz is 3 weeks away from testing the market. He's a guy that's played for 4 teams in his young career so far. It's in his best interest to test the UFA market and garner the most secure term and salary he can. He's on record as saying he's enjoyed his time in Montreal and would like to stay, but those kinds of statements are made by the majority of UFA's every year.

If the Habs retain Wiz, I don't think that there will be a significant hometown discount. They will have to sign him for whatever his agent thinks is his market worth with regards to term and salary. I think he's going to be looking for a 4 year minimum contract at a 5-5.5M cap hit with a NTC. If anybody thinks that's insanely high, just take a look at what guys like Martin, Michalek, Ballard and Volchenkov got last year.

I love the guy and think that he's earned a nice contract. However, I'm not entirely sure that I want him on the Habs indefinitely at the salary he will sign for. Personally, I think that the Habs have an opportunity to spread that cap space around a bit better this year.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:40 AM
  #18
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Wiz is 3 weeks away from testing the market. He's a guy that's played for 4 teams in his young career so far. It's in his best interest to test the UFA market and garner the most secure term and salary he can. He's on record as saying he's enjoyed his time in Montreal and would like to stay, but those kinds of statements are made by the majority of UFA's every year.

If the Habs retain Wiz, I don't think that there will be a significant hometown discount. They will have to sign him for whatever his agent thinks is his market worth with regards to term and salary. I think he's going to be looking for a 4 year minimum contract at a 5-5.5M cap hit with a NTC. If anybody thinks that's insanely high, just take a look at what guys like Martin, Michalek, Ballard and Volchenkov got last year.

I love the guy and think that he's earned a nice contract. However, I'm not entirely sure that I want him on the Habs indefinitely at the salary he will sign for. Personally, I think that the Habs have an opportunity to spread that cap space around a bit better this year.
Right. he certainly will test it. Detroit has a big gap to fill with Rafalski gone and Lidstrom still thinking about it.

The worst that could happen to the Habs is seing BOTH Markov and Wiz sign with the Wings or sign elsewhere.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:43 AM
  #19
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Right. he certainly will test it. Detroit has a big gap to fill with Rafalski gone and Lidstrom still thinking about it.

The worst that could happen to the Habs is seing BOTH Markov and Wiz sign with the Wings or sign elsewhere.
He isn't going anywhere. If he leaves than say goodbye to Emelin also.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:44 AM
  #20
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Right. he certainly will test it. Detroit has a big gap to fill with Rafalski gone and Lidstrom still thinking about it.

The worst that could happen to the Habs is seing BOTH Markov and Wiz sign with the Wings or sign elsewhere.
I think that Wiz is a great fit for Detroit and wouldn't be shocked to see him end up there.

I'm still of the mindset that Markov will sign with the Habs before he hits the open market. I'm sure that PG recognizes the importance of locking up a top-pairing D-man before July 1st. Markov seems like a more likely candidate, given his age, history and tenure with the team.

That being said, it would be cataclysmic if both guys were to walk this year.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:45 AM
  #21
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,904
vCash: 500
"Habs management seeking individuals with excellent memory"

JohnLennon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:46 AM
  #22
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
He isn't going anywhere. If he leaves than say goodbye to Emelin also.
But, that is a possibility. We don't know Yemelin potential yet. He might have to face tremendous challenges to adapt to NHL game after all these years in Russia and the KHL. He might be gone before the end of the camp, with or without Markov in the line up.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
  #23
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Why enough with that ? The fact of the matter is that we can't keep The Wiz if we don't get rid of spacegoat. Simple as that.

So actually the salary cap does say hey.
And you say nay.
NO it's not. That's only you being very very poor at math.

With 21 players signed (all rfas + Markov), we would still have between 7-9 million to spend. If you get a forward at 3 mil, you still have between 4 and 6 mil (depending on RFA contracts) to spend on another D. But it is a minimal 4 mil (under the possibility of signing another forward at 3 mil or less) and have much more if we sign that forward for less (like Jagr at 2 mil, we would have between 5 and 7 mil to spend on another D).

As I've said many times before, I've done the spreadsheets many many times with many many different possibilities, and it is just ridiculous to say we need to get rid of Spacek to sign another D. If we get rid of Spacek, we could sign BOTH Wiz and Hamr.

BTW, I hope you got the news, the cap will be around 63,5 mil.

I always find it amusing when someone tries to force a psendo-reality based on his misconceptions, false-assumptions and premature conclusions.

Next thing you'll tell me, the typical knee-jerk reaction, is that we need space for next season for Price, Subban and maybe Pac if he signs for only 1 season (which i highly doubt). My spreadsheets include following seasons with a 5% increasing cap (as it is almost always the case), and there's always room for everyone of them.

I might be wrong about some things, but I'm rarely wrong about the cap and the space we have, and the contract money players will get. Don't try to teach a teacher. The real situation here is that the cap space says Hay, and you say nay because you either can't see it properly, or are highly insecure about money.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
  #24
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1
 
HarlemsFinest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
move spacek for absolutely any pick. sign wiz.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
  #25
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
And i bet you are one of those people who want to sign Bieksa for like 4.5 ? Am i right ?
Grow-up kiddo.

Making false-assumptions about me won't make your premise right.

My actual target was Ehrhoff, between 5,5 and 6 mil. But that's my own ideal situation where we would have Jagr at 2 mil. It fits the cap, with everyone signed, and no amount of No no no from you will change that this possibility is feasible cap-wise.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.